FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > So I need a new bike. Picking your brains.

So I need a new bike. Picking your brains.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I have a poorly RRW and am in need of something that works.

I am torn between heart and head!

I need it for a 100m round trip to work weekdays, fun at weekends and for going up to Manchester every couple of months. So at least 500m a week with a good 750-1000 miles a week on occasion.

6k budget.

What are your thoughts?

Heart

Fireblade - had an RR9 but, had to sell to pay for babies. I LOVED that bike!

Speed Triple - needs no explanation.

Basically something uncomfirtable, fast and fun.

Head

Sprint ST 1050 - had an 08, was good but lacking in pace and handling.

Sprint GT 1050 - more luggage, heated grips etc. Comfy mile eater.But, but, but its big and well, a little slow.

VFR

Tracer

Your thoughts ladies, gentlemen and others.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Honda Pan European ST 1300, does everything asked of it.

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

The Tracer might be a good compromise. I have an MT-09 and it's plenty fast and agile enough for me. With the Tracer side adding some comfort but based on the same engine. Might want the comfort seat though.

By *om100ukCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

Tracer 900 for sure, I have one. So much grunt from the triple engine, comfortable and a grin inducing ride at the weekends.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

For me classics or bobbers

By *ipper DeVineTV/TS  over a year ago

Portsmouth

"So I have a poorly RRW and am in need of something that works.

I need it for a 100m round trip to work weekdays, fun at weekends and for going up to Manchester every couple of months. So at least 500m a week with a good 750-1000 miles a week on occasion.

6k budget.

What are your thoughts?

Heart

Head

Sprint GT 1050 - more luggage, heated grips etc. Comfy mile eater.But, but, but its big and well, a little slow.

VFR

Tracer

"

Im going to go with a 1200 bandit. Personally I think the 600 is lighter and more fun. But for long distance riding, it would definitely be the B12. Xx

Durham

6k budget.

What are your thoughts?

Heart

Head

VFR

Tracer

Im going to go with a 1200 bandit. Personally I think the 600 is lighter and more fun. But for long distance riding, it would definitely be the B12. Xx"

I went down that line sort of. From my fireblade which i loved and had for over 10 years went onto a large 1500 cruiser. Not good at being thrown about. Moved to a 1200 bandit, yes good with plenty of power, but the comfort for long trips without a fairing was hard work. Back to the drawing board. After a bit of thought I came up with the solution of buying the Pan. Job done, had that for over 10 years now. Been all over Europe and god knows how many bike rallies local and distance

By *am450Man  over a year ago

North Kent/Greater London

"Tracer 900 for sure, I have one. So much grunt from the triple engine, comfortable and a grin inducing ride at the weekends."

Ditto this have an XSR900 awesome engine loved riding it until having a stroke at the end of December last year..

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Zzr1400 can munch miles at any speed you wont can play with the best good two up with all the weekend gear on

A did I mentioned its mind bending fast the only down falls keeping you license

I had a FJ1100 it had speed handled brilliantly was very comfortable ride and it had speed, miss that bike. Used to go up and down to Wales on it from Stirling

Thanks all! Its a hard one to choose! The big ZZ's, FJ's etc. Are good for 2 up and going the miles I want.

I just love a sports bike. The riding position, nose, handling. I liked my ST but, the only reason I had that was because of a big off and screwed my shoulders for 6months. That had some get up and go. It just was not enough!

Its either compromise the ride or, compromise the comfort!! First world problems!!

By *D2015Couple  over a year ago

Wokingham

I have a Sprint ST 1050 and will be looking to get rid of it. It’s too top heavy for my liking.

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

if your doing high mileages every week you need a reliable ,economical ,comftable bike thats easy on tyres and simple to service yourself the new panigale v4 should fit the bill its just finding one for 6k thats hard lol

"if your doing high mileages every week you need a reliable ,economical ,comftable bike thats easy on tyres and simple to service yourself the new panigale v4 should fit the bill its just finding one for 6k thats hard lol"

count me in!!

Hayabusa?

Munches miles with ease, great wind protection, 200 miles to a tank of your careful (90 miles if you thrash it). 100 mph on the motorways with one hand on your hip easy.

Excellent commuter, I rode one everyday for 5 years and put 50k miles on it. Also took it to the nurburgring for a few laps.

All the power and torque you ever need, enough handling to get you knee down if you want some fun.

Very tuneable if you want to spend some money on it.

Gen 2's start at about £5k

Older gen 1's at about £3k

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Blackbird? Do they still make them?

Have ridden a BBird, was fun but not for me, same with the busa! I do like the Thunderace though! But again, not really for me.

Want something a little more modern. I like being able to work on it but, can be an arse and a half if you HAVE to do it to regularly!

ARGHHH I am not going to decide until I am forced to!

I'm a ST1050 rider and absolutely love it that big triple with the open pipe . I've sorted the suspension front and rear been all set up and with it carrying abit of weight makes it a very stable fast road bike.I've also had blades an 03 954 and a 08, I would have the 954 back in a heartbeat.

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

Years ago had a zzr1100 could roll a fag drink a coffee whilst reading a newspaper at 140 on my daily commute but it had no soul so had to go

By *ikerswingCouple  over a year ago

mcr

I ent through thhe same thought process.had sports bikes sports tourers but after a big off i couldnt ride them anymore looked at all sorts and ended up test riding a fz1 abs .i was sold within minutes silly fast ( detuned r1 engine) plenty comfortable solo or 2 up .easy for luggage and being half faired easy to service maintain.very underated bike imo

By *uReady86Man  over a year ago

Glorious Yorkshire

Morning, Fz1 or a tracer 900 for me both great bikes.

BMW K1300S or 1300R

6k budget.

What are your thoughts?

Heart

Head

VFR

Tracer

"

the naked BMW my mate has one and loves it

I just bought a Suzuki B-King, an absolutely awesome bike. It has the comfort you need for long trips and bags of power that makes a lot of sports bikes look slow!

By *rsandmrssCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Honda CBF 1000. I love mine. Great for touring and also good for having fun on. You get your fireblade engine back too! (detuned of course)

By *EXY_PILOTMan  over a year ago

Manchester, North West, UK

Vfr you won't go wrong (or stick with Japanese if you want hassle free biking)

Love the triumphs, speed triple is great fun

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

BMW BABY GS. F800GS, brilliant bike. Not as heavy as the big one and has a chain and full swinging arm.

"Honda Pan European ST 1300, does everything asked of it. "

Another vote for a Pan

By *uskymotoMan  over a year ago

Cumbria

Tracer is good fun but the finish is a bit poor and may look a bit rough before it's time, especially with winter riding through salt. Tiger 1050 sport is a more durable machine and definitely got character

By *edyarisCouple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough or Ullswater

Looking to upgrade to a comfy tourer for me and the wife but not sure what to choose. Most reviews seem to go for a BMW and you do seem to get a lot of toys on them but I stumbled on a website forum that said they're prone to having problems with the drive shafts which are expensive to repair, this maybe a bit of a biased view as it was a Honda st owners forum, and as I'd not considered the pan before it's now something else to look at and confuse things. Anyone know of any bmw problems or any advice on what to consider I'd welcome your views.

Durham

"Looking to upgrade to a comfy tourer for me and the wife but not sure what to choose. Most reviews seem to go for a BMW and you do seem to get a lot of toys on them but I stumbled on a website forum that said they're prone to having problems with the drive shafts which are expensive to repair, this maybe a bit of a biased view as it was a Honda st owners forum, and as I'd not considered the pan before it's now something else to look at and confuse things. Anyone know of any bmw problems or any advice on what to consider I'd welcome your views. "

I bought triumph explorer 1200 xrx June 2018. Put my Pan European under cover and rode the triumph till October 2019. When covid hit and after initial lock down I decided to put Pan back on the road. Wow I forgot how nice it is to ride. Mrs F said she prefers it to the Explorer. We've been all over Europe on it since I bought it new back in 2009. The explorer is still an awasome bike and when I first got it I said it gave me the aggressive ride like I used to get with my fireblade which I sold few years ago (I loved that bike). To sum up you can't go wrong with a Pan European ST 1300 would highly recommend one. Bullit proof and an amazing touring bike. Two up, all camping gear on and up n over the Alps, unreal

MT, Versys, vstrom

Good rounders

"Looking to upgrade to a comfy tourer for me and the wife but not sure what to choose. Most reviews seem to go for a BMW and you do seem to get a lot of toys on them but I stumbled on a website forum that said they're prone to having problems with the drive shafts which are expensive to repair, this maybe a bit of a biased view as it was a Honda st owners forum, and as I'd not considered the pan before it's now something else to look at and confuse things. Anyone know of any bmw problems or any advice on what to consider I'd welcome your views.

I bought triumph explorer 1200 xrx June 2018. Put my Pan European under cover and rode the triumph till October 2019. When covid hit and after initial lock down I decided to put Pan back on the road. Wow I forgot how nice it is to ride. Mrs F said she prefers it to the Explorer. We've been all over Europe on it since I bought it new back in 2009. The explorer is still an awasome bike and when I first got it I said it gave me the aggressive ride like I used to get with my fireblade which I sold few years ago (I loved that bike). To sum up you can't go wrong with a Pan European ST 1300 would highly recommend one. Bullit proof and an amazing touring bike. Two up, all camping gear on and up n over the Alps, unreal "

Thanks for that, I'll have to give it a closer look

By *r Rubba LoverMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I ride a Yamaha XJR1300. All day comfy and so much torque you could pull yer house along behind you.

Have you also considered a big trailie?

The Honda Adrica Twin 1200 or the KTM 990 Adventure..

I had a Transalp when I started and the tall trailie was quick, agile and comfy. I quite fancy one of theae two for my next bike.

Multistroodle....

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

I used to do something similar on my 08 R1200GS. Handy for a bit of green landing on the way home too. Only issue I had was with the ABS that cost £500. Servicing costs wasn’t too bad. No drive shaft issues. What have you test ridden?

Durham

"Looking to upgrade to a comfy tourer for me and the wife but not sure what to choose. Most reviews seem to go for a BMW and you do seem to get a lot of toys on them but I stumbled on a website forum that said they're prone to having problems with the drive shafts which are expensive to repair, this maybe a bit of a biased view as it was a Honda st owners forum, and as I'd not considered the pan before it's now something else to look at and confuse things. Anyone know of any bmw problems or any advice on what to consider I'd welcome your views.

I bought triumph explorer 1200 xrx June 2018. Put my Pan European under cover and rode the triumph till October 2019. When covid hit and after initial lock down I decided to put Pan back on the road. Wow I forgot how nice it is to ride. Mrs F said she prefers it to the Explorer. We've been all over Europe on it since I bought it new back in 2009. The explorer is still an awasome bike and when I first got it I said it gave me the aggressive ride like I used to get with my fireblade which I sold few years ago (I loved that bike). To sum up you can't go wrong with a Pan European ST 1300 would highly recommend one. Bullit proof and an amazing touring bike. Two up, all camping gear on and up n over the Alps, unreal

Thanks for that, I'll have to give it a closer look "

I was going to sell the Pan last year so took it for an mot to put it up for sale. Forgot how smooth and powerful it is so couldn't sell it. So glad, as I've had a few great ride outs on it this year. Meant to say Mrs F much preferred being on the back of the pan to the adventure bike due to more comfort, less wind due to the great fairing, electric screen that gives you so much protection from the elements and the smoothness of it.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

FJR1300 decent performance and handling. The hard luggage is great, especially,when it's torrential. Easy to manoeuvre. Low maintenance shaft drive.

VFR1200F The Gentleman's Express. Super quick, better brakes and handling than the Blackbird. Shaft drive too.

By *usteatit1969Couple  over a year ago

chester

[Removed by poster at 02/10/20 18:50:34]

"MT, Versys, vstrom

Good rounders "

Lady you know your stuff

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

BMW R1200s & try to get one that’s been decated & with Ohlins, preferably on both ends.

Yellow one on EBay now. Not mine though.

S

I suspect you may go out with the intention of buying something advised above. But then do completely the opposite as “shiny bike syndrome” gets you

All I’d say is, make sure it has a fairing...

"I suspect you may go out with the intention of buying something advised above. But then do completely the opposite as “shiny bike syndrome” gets you

All I’d say is, make sure it has a fairing... "

There is always that shiny bike problem along with the for just a few hundred quid more I can get... I'm sure the wife will keep me and the wallet in check when I come to making the decision

"I suspect you may go out with the intention of buying something advised above. But then do completely the opposite as “shiny bike syndrome” gets you

All I’d say is, make sure it has a fairing...

There is always that shiny bike problem along with the for just a few hundred quid more I can get... I'm sure the wife will keep me and the wallet in check when I come to making the decision "

So effectively, it’s going to be a joint decision

Far be it from me to suggest you ensure the good lady gets some retail therapy, then go bike hunting

Gsxr with top yoke conversion with renthal bars can ride all day long still have the looks off a sports bike and the power and easy to covert back for track days thats what i have a gixer 1000 and it does ot all now with top yoke convertion

if your doing miles the best bike (and i know this may sound boring) is the bmw F900XR.

add all the extras like dynamic suspension and quickshifter it becomes a fantastic bike thats quicker than you think. plus its very comfortable and eats up miles.

can recommend the street triple if you want a naked hoon type bike.

Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro. Great bike.

MotoGuzzi Griso.........

OP. If you still haven't decided test ride a zzr1400. I had exactly same Head v Heart decision to make 5 years ago and eventually decided on the zzr as a compromise.

Would I make the same decision now? Yes, I'm on my second one already. I do high milage so swapped it before it became worthless.

Bar riser, double bubble screen, auto chain oiler and heated grips fitted but otherwise pretty much standard. I do have a touring and playing out exhaust though. Standard cans are v quiet, too quiet and too huge, so when not touring I have some much nicer looking ones on it that happen to be a bit louder

It keeps the other half happy being comfortable on long trips through Europe and with top box, panniers and tank bag its not a bad tourer at all.

The daily work commute puts a smile on my face everyday, before home working became a thing anyway, and for pure pleasure riding its a blast.

OK, its not the most practical (head) bike you can get but it has to be one of the best compromise bikes that can munch up huge millage trips without killing your back, wrists or arse but still give you a none stop grin when the back seat is empty and you're out for fun

Depending on your age insurance isn't too bad either, I get around 42mpg when behaving (touring) and a pair of Pilot Road 5s every 3.5 - 4k don't break the bank either.

Servicing costs have been reasonable over 5 years for a bike which is fundamentally mental at heart.

As someone has already said the biggest problem with the bike is not losing your license. Fast speeds are too easy and the comfort and stability mean you don't even realise your one blue light away from having your license taken away forever.

By *iM4mmfpleaseMan  over a year ago

Swansea

I have a Suzuki Bandit S 1250 GT and I think it ticks most of your boxes.

Being the GT version means it has fairing. I would say sports styling with touring comfort.

You can get luggage for it and the 1250cc engine is quick when you want to have a bit of fun, but lazy enough to cruise at normal speeds.

By *ornypieCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Z1000sx

By *appychappy13Man  over a year ago

Addlestone

[Removed by poster at 18/10/20 20:12:05]

By *appychappy13Man  over a year ago

Addlestone

"I have a Suzuki Bandit S 1250 GT and I think it ticks most of your boxes.

Being the GT version means it has fairing. I would say sports styling with touring comfort.

You can get luggage for it and the 1250cc engine is quick when you want to have a bit of fun, but lazy enough to cruise at normal speeds."

The 1250 gt comes with full luggage side and top boxes

BMW GS 1200 comfortable quick

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

VFR800 vtec, just sold mine as I need a car now. But it was great for munching up the miles, always started on the button and with a decent top box travel around Europe easily. It won’t hurt your licence either.

Personally I’m looking at a Speed Triple in the future as they’re perfect for my style of riding.

By *n ChastityTV/TS  over a year ago

Powick

I’m in a similar situation.

I’ve been without a bike for about two years now. Can’t decide what I want (I would Love a Rocket lll but refuse to pay £20,000 for a bike).

Struggling with wrists and thumb joints these days so I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s going to have to be something more upright.

My master plan is to arrange to go to Fowler’s in Bristol and spend the day test riding various bikes before I make a decision.

They are dealers for loads of brands so you get the option to try lots of different makes and models without the gap if you go to individual dealers.

Traded my Busa in for a Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro. I do miss the busa but the 900 is way more practical and fun to ride.

Plymouth Devon

With a 6k budget I'd say FJR1300.

Big, comfy and sports bike fast.

Leccy screen, panniers and heated grips as standard from 2006 too.

The motors are unburstable.

I've had two and have a mate who's put 250k on one.

» Add a new message to this topic