FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Z900 need decent panniers or bag advice please

Z900 need decent panniers or bag advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ruckABiker OP   Man  over a year ago

ilkeston

First time having panniers on bike or woukd big saddle bag be better

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"First time having panniers on bike or woukd big saddle bag be better "

I have saddle bags on my Z1000

By *lutty_FetgeekWoman  over a year ago

Wallasey

I have oxford throw over panniers on mine, resting on bespoke frames to keep them off my paintwork

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"First time having panniers on bike or woukd big saddle bag be better "

Mrs F has a Z1000 sx and came with Kawasaki hard panniers. The Kawasaki rack was 3 inches wider overall compared to givi after market. Really weird as givi supply Kawasaki their stock. Never the less we changed the Kawasaki stock rack for the Givi aftermarket for the ease of filtering through traffic. 3 inches is 3 inches and size matters when trying to squeeze in. So our advice OP is if you go for hard luggage go for Givi not Kawasaki if it's a rack system. We do know the later Z1000 had clip onto frame hard luggage. I find the difference between hard or saddle bags that saddle bags are better to pack using up all the space much easier. Think its down to personal choice really as I really do like hard luggage

I will always say kriega. It’s adaptable for the amount of luggage you want but it does come at a cost. 10 years guarantee with their stuff.

Hard panniers for me every time, too many bad experiences with throw overs many years ago. If it had to be a choice between throw overs and a tail bag I would go tail bag.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Hard panniers for me every time, too many bad experiences with throw overs many years ago. If it had to be a choice between throw overs and a tail bag I would go tail bag."

We had a friend who had his throw overs blow up, yes blow up. He'd stupidly put his deodorant at the bottom of his throw overs on the exhaust side. About an hour into our journey to a bike rally, his bag went bang on the motorway. I have also seen stupid people not lash them on properly and lose them off their bike. also heard of them getting caught in the back wheel, again by not taking care to lash them on safely. However some have lashed them on all safe and the tie downs fails. I have stopped a few people trying to leave a rally field with their throw overs just waiting to cause a disaster due to the lack of lashing them on correctly. some seem to think the more bungees the safer. I used 4 and a net and never had any issues. Always put everything inside in plastic bags and never put flammable items at the bottom near the exhaust. Hard Luggage for us now though, as we have a Pan and an Explorer for our travels

"Hard panniers for me every time, too many bad experiences with throw overs many years ago. If it had to be a choice between throw overs and a tail bag I would go tail bag.

We had a friend who had his throw overs blow up, yes blow up. He'd stupidly put his deodorant at the bottom of his throw overs on the exhaust side. About an hour into our journey to a bike rally, his bag went bang on the motorway. I have also seen stupid people not lash them on properly and lose them off their bike. also heard of them getting caught in the back wheel, again by not taking care to lash them on safely. However some have lashed them on all safe and the tie downs fails. I have stopped a few people trying to leave a rally field with their throw overs just waiting to cause a disaster due to the lack of lashing them on correctly. some seem to think the more bungees the safer. I used 4 and a net and never had any issues. Always put everything inside in plastic bags and never put flammable items at the bottom near the exhaust. Hard Luggage for us now though, as we have a Pan and an Explorer for our travels "

Yes couldn’t agree more, most of my mishaps were going to rallies too lol. I use the GS for touring now, got a baglux bag and top box on the blackbird but that’s not used for long distance touring, just short day trips.

"I have oxford throw over panniers on mine, resting on bespoke frames to keep them off my paintwork "

Oxford lifetime sports are an excellent choice! I've had sets on my last 3 bikes and they've been bulletproof every time

By *igian999Man  over a year ago

warrington

[Removed by poster at 28/07/22 20:02:19]

By *lutty_FetgeekWoman  over a year ago

Wallasey

I agree, I have Oxford lifetime too on my Zed, with custom made frames to keep them off the bodywork

By *igian999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Kirega 100% a 30 and a 20 bag is all you will ever need awesome bit of kit

"I agree, I have Oxford lifetime too on my Zed, with custom made frames to keep them off the bodywork "

If only I was that conscientious

Mine get thrown on for camping or long stays away, and usually just padded off the seat panels

» Add a new message to this topic