FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Camping on the bike

Camping on the bike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *edhotlovers2027 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Doncaster

Hi guys and girls looking for a little advice on a good quality tent,we want to get ready for the summer and would like something that would easily fit on the bike,easy to put up and ideally 2/3 person.

Feel free to message direct with recommendations

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

I would say go for a 4 berth tent. We have an inflatable larger 4 berth we throw on top of the top box. Had poled tent for years and got so sick of repairing poles so decided few years ago to go inflatable. More expensive but if you have good kit it makes the camping experience much nicer. Down side is the large stirrup pump takes up space, upside it hardly moves in the wind. If you are getting a smaller 4 berth also get a tarp with 2 poles to sit under if the rain comes. Or like us we bought a tarp when we went round Europe on the bike as a sun shade. They are small, light and can put on your bike once all packed with ease.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Good info, I'm tempted too !

Durham

"Good info, I'm tempted too !"

Best move we made. We now have 2 inflatable tents. Large 4 berth that goes on the top box and a huge 6 birth if we go camping in the metal 4 wheeled box. Also make sure you have decent sleeping bags, even during the Great British summers it can get chilly on a night. Don't ever go for these cheap bundle deals. Invest in quality and your experience will be great

I use a Slumit Gobi tent. 3 man with vestibule. Very fast setup and take down. Roomy too and waterproof as double layer.

I also use a cot along with a self inflating mat. Carry a folding chair and a table.

All Chinese copies of the best ultralight camping gear.

I motorcycle camp about 4 weeks per year in Europe (I live in France) so normally warm and dry.

Hope that the above helps - worth a look whatever.

Doncaster

Thank you for the advice it is much appreciated xx

By *adlad65Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

I'm going to be having a camping road journey this year and I'm looking to go absolute minimum. So a tent that uses the bike as a support (think abel brown).

By *parkybunnyCouple  over a year ago

Zurich & London

Khyam biker.

Instant up/down, no buggering about. And no mates letting the air out of your tent at 3 am coz they're pissed and it's seems like a good idea.

YouTube khyam biker, cracking kit.

Durham

"Khyam biker.

Instant up/down, no buggering about. And no mates letting the air out of your tent at 3 am coz they're pissed and it's seems like a good idea.

YouTube khyam biker, cracking kit."

Had the Khyam biker, brilliant tent but we didn't like crawling about so changed it for the larger Khyam, can't remember the name, but in the wind the knuckles on the poles just wouldn't hold out. If I had mates that thought it was funny to F##k about with my tent they wouldn't stay mates very long. We have respect for others and enjoy the same back. Have had mates fall on our tent when they couldn't walk straight and break the poles but that's not the same as having fun messing with our stuff for a laugh as that wouldn't end well.

By *iavelmanMan  over a year ago

Worcester

Khyam Biker Plus. It’s a good size and you have the benefit of headroom. The only crawling is for your sub to do!

Durham

"Khyam Biker Plus. It’s a good size and you have the benefit of headroom. The only crawling is for your sub to do!"

Its like I said though the larger kham poles are not good in the wind. It was when we replaced for the fourth time another pole we decided to go down the no pole tent. Never had a problem since. Air poles are amazing in strong winds, hardly move

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i have a vango force ten that i bought in 1985. it's been utterly bomb proof even in the absolute harshest conditions. it's super lightweight, has a double A-frame and ridge so it's a free standing tent before being pegged out. Great for hard to peg conditions such as snow, sand and hard ground. i've timed myself putting it up just for a laugh mostly. my record is under 2 minutes. they do a 2, 3 & 4 person model. there's a reason why expeditions, explorers and adventurers still use them after 50 years.

another tip .... i use a gas trangia stove for cooking.

Doncaster

"Khyam Biker Plus. It’s a good size and you have the benefit of headroom. The only crawling is for your sub to do!

Its like I said though the larger kham poles are not good in the wind. It was when we replaced for the fourth time another pole we decided to go down the no pole tent. Never had a problem since. Air poles are amazing in strong winds, hardly move "

My brother had a kyham and it collapsed in high wind,think we mite go down the no pole road

Durham

"Khyam Biker Plus. It’s a good size and you have the benefit of headroom. The only crawling is for your sub to do!

Its like I said though the larger kham poles are not good in the wind. It was when we replaced for the fourth time another pole we decided to go down the no pole tent. Never had a problem since. Air poles are amazing in strong winds, hardly move

My brother had a kyham and it collapsed in high wind,think we mite go down the no pole road "

Our Air tents are Vango. Great quality

Doncaster

My brother had a kyham and it collapsed in high wind,think we mite go down the no pole road

Our Air tents are Vango. Great quality "

thank you we will looking into them

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

"I'm going to be having a camping road journey this year and I'm looking to go absolute minimum. So a tent that uses the bike as a support (think abel brown). "

Use a tarp and secure one side to the bike, other to fence / hedge / ground.

I’ve got an Outwell Earth 4 - really well made and enough guy ropes to handle some pretty windy conditions.... I love how bikers talk about a tent being 2 or 3 kg heavier than a lightweight tent means it’s shit!

Im pretty sure a couple of Kg won’t make a difference

"Hi guys and girls looking for a little advice on a good quality tent,we want to get ready for the summer and would like something that would easily fit on the bike,easy to put up and ideally 2/3 person.

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick "

I have regularly used a Khyam Highlander quick erect tent since 2007 without any problems. I initially bought it for a tour of Scotland for 2 week's and then another week in Dorset with my g/f. It gets used quite a lot as it's my rally tent and try to attend at least one a month, sometimes more regardless of the weather (I mainly use my camper for holidays now)

I treat the material with Nikwax waterproofer once a year and have had no issues with water getting in, nor have I had any issues with the poles or joints (despite falling on it many times when I'm pissed lol)

Durham

"Hi guys and girls looking for a little advice on a good quality tent,we want to get ready for the summer and would like something that would easily fit on the bike,easy to put up and ideally 2/3 person.

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick

I have regularly used a Khyam Highlander quick erect tent since 2007 without any problems. I initially bought it for a tour of Scotland for 2 week's and then another week in Dorset with my g/f. It gets used quite a lot as it's my rally tent and try to attend at least one a month, sometimes more regardless of the weather (I mainly use my camper for holidays now)

I treat the material with Nikwax waterproofer once a year and have had no issues with water getting in, nor have I had any issues with the poles or joints (despite falling on it many times when I'm pissed lol)

"

Great little tents, the biker is the same but the poles collapse shorter, Highlander was such a great hit with bikers but all had issues, it was to long on the back of the bike, hence the Khyam biker was born. Had the biker for many years when I used to Rally on my own, then we became Mr B and Mrs F so a larger tent was needed

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick

Great little tents, the biker is the same but the poles collapse shorter, Highlander was such a great hit with bikers but all had issues, it was to long on the back of the bike, hence the Khyam biker was born. Had the biker for many years when I used to Rally on my own, then we became Mr B and Mrs F so a larger tent was needed "

It is a long tent when packed away and not overly light, but I decided that as we were going to Scotland we needed something that could be put up quickly before it started to rain again lol. It was great for that. I did get larger tents once her indoors became permanent but now have a camper for holidays as she has had a back injury and finds tents difficult. But I still use the tent just for me going to rallies

By *rumph650Man  over a year ago

Cardiff

I’ve looked into posting my luggage and it’s much easier and cheaper than you might think. I couldn’t get the panniers in time for a trip so looked at sending a small suitcase with DHL it worked out about £10. It’s definitely something I’ll be doing in the future.

"I’ve looked into posting my luggage and it’s much easier and cheaper than you might think. I couldn’t get the panniers in time for a trip so looked at sending a small suitcase with DHL it worked out about £10. It’s definitely something I’ll be doing in the future. "

What a great idea..

By *aptinfaptastikMan  over a year ago

Derby

Push bike or motorcycle?

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick "

Hi, good question!

I guess it depends on what bike you ride and the space you have.

I have a BMW GSA and take a 3 man Vango with 3x3m gazebo...... boxed of course!lol.

If there's 2 of you, I'd say go for 4 berth, you'll need room for all your kit, especially if it wet. Nothing worse than it dripping on your doss bag.

I also go for a tent with the poles on the outside, rather then poles inside. That way, you can put the outer up first (with inner attached maybe) and avoid getting the inner wet. If the inner is already attached, it's much quicker too.

If pitching in winds, be sure to get some pegs in before the poles. I've never had to chase my tent down the field in a force 9!........honest.

Most of all, enjoy it and ride safe!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I use an old peapod 2 tent, I got it to do my Duke of Edinburgh scheme years ago. It is a snug 2 man, or comfortable single person.

I would look at a 3 man tent, to store all the hike gear.

Just our of curiosity, what bike is the being carried on?

Doncaster

"I use an old peapod 2 tent, I got it to do my Duke of Edinburgh scheme years ago. It is a snug 2 man, or comfortable single person.

I would look at a 3 man tent, to store all the hike gear.

Just our of curiosity, what bike is the being carried on?"

Vfr750f,we did have a go at camping a couple of years ago.

We went to the hornsea biker event with my brother and sister in law,we had a great time but only a small 2man tent. My brother had a khyam quick biker.

Got a Harley 883 Iron. The saddle bags aren't really that big neither the pannier. So have a Vango Omega 3 pers. It's good and waterproof, enough space to sit up in and light for the size!

Do a lot of camping outside biking and have a couple of ultralight tents for trekking but enjoy the extra space when I'm riding haha

By *elshboy469Man  over a year ago

dyce

[Removed by poster at 30/03/21 06:53:22]

By *elshboy469Man  over a year ago

dyce

Have a look at the vango galaxy 300, small enough for bike but has a stand up inside bit at front

Doncaster

"Have a look at the vango galaxy 300, small enough for bike but has a stand up inside bit at front "

Thank you that looks pretty good

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I used to go camping with a little peapod tent, it was ok for two people. But all the gear ended up in the bell of the tent.

Then again it was small enough to go on top of a rucksack, the joys of camping with an R6

By *kmaleMan  over a year ago

Bedford

Definitely go with a 4 berth just for the room. Also make sure it isn't too heavy when packed

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

I won't sleep on the floor like a peasant in a tent again.

I have a hammock, tarp and (the really important bit) an underquilt, have used them all round Europe and probably get a better night's sleep than at home.

There WILL be suitable trees around, just take a good length of Amsteel if there's a stretch. Sets up in 10 mins, tears down in 5, into stuff sacks in panniers and away.

I do have a Handy Hammock Stand in case there really are no places to hang, but have never needed to use it.

By *aptinfaptastikMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I won't sleep on the floor like a peasant in a tent again.

I have a hammock, tarp and (the really important bit) an underquilt, have used them all round Europe and probably get a better night's sleep than at home.

There WILL be suitable trees around, just take a good length of Amsteel if there's a stretch. Sets up in 10 mins, tears down in 5, into stuff sacks in panniers and away.

I do have a Handy Hammock Stand in case there really are no places to hang, but have never needed to use it.

Have you got a link for your hammock stands?

"

By *lay-full-funCouple  over a year ago

stockport

We use a 2 man fishing bivvy made by nash can be put up with in 2 mins an takes the same amount of time to take down an plenty of room

By *hor ThumbMan  over a year ago

bristol

Whatever you choose remember to not put too much weight over the back end, maki g the front too lite. Evenly distributed weight will make for a safer ride. I make do with a lighter 2 person tent and a cover for the bike.

By *hor ThumbMan  over a year ago

bristol

Id take 2 small lightweight ones and have one just for the gear, so you don't end up stumbling over gear when getting in and out of the tent

By *yr_OdinsonMan  over a year ago

Hanley

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick "

What bike are you riding is where you need to start first off.

Don't go for an air tent unless you're going to a hot country like Spain with no wind or shirty weather.

Force 10s are excellent but can be a bit heavy.

I solo camp on an XJ900S diversion. I camp in a Dutch army tent with a small added canopy.

It's canvas, but thats never been an issue for me.

I have a number of expensive technical tents but keep coming back to that one.

If your riding a huge gold Wing then tent weight doesn't really matter... pilly up on an xj1300 would matter as there's not much luggage space.

Doncaster

Many thanks

Cazz and Rick

What bike are you riding is where you need to start first off.

Don't go for an air tent unless you're going to a hot country like Spain with no wind or shirty weather.

Force 10s are excellent but can be a bit heavy.

I solo camp on an XJ900S diversion. I camp in a Dutch army tent with a small added canopy.

It's canvas, but thats never been an issue for me.

I have a number of expensive technical tents but keep coming back to that one.

If your riding a huge gold Wing then tent weight doesn't really matter... pilly up on an xj1300 would matter as there's not much luggage space.

"

We have a vfr750f,we have the whole luggage rack and panniers.

The last time we went camping,seems like a lifetime ago lol,we used a two man quick pitch tent and it was ok, just know where to put the gear,and not alot of room for anything else.

But we will probably go with the khyam biker 3man

By *yr_OdinsonMan  over a year ago

Hanley

Vango Omega's are a good tent.

One of My technical tents is an early one if those.

Poles are metal not plastic.

And major high hh value.

By * New YorkieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Been tempted to do this and go away a weekend to Morfa Dyffryn.. Logistically it might be hard...

Durham

To much over thinking we think. We went all round France Switzerland Italy two up, large 4 man Air tent and all our gear for a 2 week trip on a Pan European ST1300. Absolutely no problem. Alps including Stelvio so as challenging as it gets. I have heard this debate about weight in fields all around Britain. If you balance everything out and strap it down correctly there's never a problem. Most importantly, don't buy cheap crap, pick the right gear for YOU or you will hate camping

"I use a Slumit Gobi tent. 3 man with vestibule. Very fast setup and take down. Roomy too and waterproof as double layer."

I use a Gobi 3 too. Had it for about 10 years. Cracking bit of kit.

My pal went camping last night turns out she packed her sleeping bag in the tent bag so had two sleeping bags and a small tarp so did it roughneck style up the top of a Scottish mountain she’s also got guy ropes for the bike

I’m seriously contemplating a cpl days disappearing with a tent

Durham

"My pal went camping last night turns out she packed her sleeping bag in the tent bag so had two sleeping bags and a small tarp so did it roughneck style up the top of a Scottish mountain she’s also got guy ropes for the bike

I’m seriously contemplating a cpl days disappearing with a tent "

We've got a couple of weekends away on the bike with the tent. First is in Cumbria, first weekend the sites fully reopen in a small secluded site away from the tourist trail then in Northuberland in June. Great for the mental health

"My pal went camping last night turns out she packed her sleeping bag in the tent bag so had two sleeping bags and a small tarp so did it roughneck style up the top of a Scottish mountain she’s also got guy ropes for the bike

We've got a couple of weekends away on the bike with the tent. First is in Cumbria, first weekend the sites fully reopen in a small secluded site away from the tourist trail then in Northuberland in June. Great for the mental health "

My mental health needs to get away I’ve been out on the bike constant the last few months but I need to just disappear for a while and be on my own because trying to keep busy and around people isn’t working right now

Durham

We've got a couple of weekends away on the bike with the tent. First is in Cumbria, first weekend the sites fully reopen in a small secluded site away from the tourist trail then in Northuberland in June. Great for the mental health

My mental health needs to get away I’ve been out on the bike constant the last few months but I need to just disappear for a while and be on my own because trying to keep busy and around people isn’t working right now "

Its been really tough, you need to do what you think will help, we are the opposite and need to be around people again, if only for the people watching aspect. Not been around people for a lot of months till now. Mental health has suffered massively

By *iavelmanMan  over a year ago

Worcester

I’m seriously contemplating a cpl days disappearing with a tent "

I know exactly who that is! Saw the pics on Facebook. She is a rare one.

I know exactly who that is! Saw the pics on Facebook. She is a rare one."

Aw she’s awesome such an inspiration a proper little treasure and such a genuinely nice person her mum has just started riding too, I’ve even ordered myself some gloves and socks to take up the cold water swimming eeeek if I end up with the flu she’s to blame lol

I've a blackout tent, excellent for sleeping through the mornings.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

I'm off on my bike this afternoon to a campsite for the night to test my new tent ...its an OEX Phoxx IO v2 2 man tent ...from millets ...

Durham

"I'm off on my bike this afternoon to a campsite for the night to test my new tent ...its an OEX Phoxx IO v2 2 man tent ...from millets ..."

Thought camp sites weren't open for tents till 17th May as toilet blocks don't open till then. It's supposed to be only units with self contained facilities. Or are you taking your own toilet tent??

By *ollowMan99Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

"I'm off on my bike this afternoon to a campsite for the night to test my new tent ...its an OEX Phoxx IO v2 2 man tent ...from millets ...

Thought camp sites weren't open for tents till 17th May as toilet blocks don't open till then. It's supposed to be only units with self contained facilities. Or are you taking your own toilet tent?? "

I made it camping weekend just gone, it seems different campsites can open depending on toilet situation. The one I went to had a toilet per camp, so there was no mixing between groups and allowed them to open up

Durham

[Removed by poster at 30/04/21 12:30:47]

Durham

"I'm off on my bike this afternoon to a campsite for the night to test my new tent ...its an OEX Phoxx IO v2 2 man tent ...from millets ...

Thought camp sites weren't open for tents till 17th May as toilet blocks don't open till then. It's supposed to be only units with self contained facilities. Or are you taking your own toilet tent??

I made it camping weekend just gone, it seems different campsites can open depending on toilet situation. The one I went to had a toilet per camp, so there was no mixing between groups and allowed them to open up "

I did see a camp site advertising you could hire a portaloo per pitch, thought that was a great way around it but still no shower however so suppose it would have to be a handy wipe wash down. We are waiting till weekend 21st May for our first camping trip

By *ollowMan99Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

I made it camping weekend just gone, it seems different campsites can open depending on toilet situation. The one I went to had a toilet per camp, so there was no mixing between groups and allowed them to open up

I did see a camp site advertising you could hire a portaloo per pitch, thought that was a great way around it but still no shower however so suppose it would have to be a handy wipe wash down. We are waiting till weekend 21st May for our first camping trip "

Yeah the lack of showers did limit how long I stayed for xD

Not too long to wait! Not be long and you'll be there

Note to self, must try putting up new tent...

Totnes

Thought camp sites weren't open for tents till 17th May as toilet blocks don't open till then. It's supposed to be only units with self contained facilities. Or are you taking your own toilet tent?? "

The shared toilets were open but not the showers, dont understand how there is this different interpretation of the rules as I know other sites you have to be in a camper with it's own toilet...or you have your own private portaloo...if your in a tent..

Durham

The shared toilets were open but not the showers, dont understand how there is this different interpretation of the rules as I know other sites you have to be in a camper with it's own toilet...or you have your own private portaloo...if your in a tent..

"

It's amazing how some business owners are prepared to break the law and risk their license for the sake of a few weeks. Suppose these are the people who haven't given a shit for peoples health or well being all the way through this pandemic. We are looking forward to our first trip out on 21st When it's legal for them all to open the shared facilities

Totnes

It's amazing how some business owners are prepared to break the law and risk their license for the sake of a few weeks. Suppose these are the people who haven't given a shit for peoples health or well being all the way through this pandemic. We are looking forward to our first trip out on 21st When it's legal for them all to open the shared facilities "

I'm not sure what the law is ...this is from the cool camping site...

As of 12th April, many campsites in the UK are now permitted to open for bookings by single households (or support bubbles). Self-contained holiday accommodation is now open. So, too, are campsites, provided that the only shared facilities used by guests at the campsite or caravan park are washing facilities, toilets, water points and waste disposal points. While shared public toilets can open since 12 April, showers must be either private or reserved by each household and then cleaned. More

Totnes

I would add that the people at the camp site were very careful...only one at a time in the shop or check in area and face masks (obviously)

And no showers, compliant with the above words...if they are indeed reflective of the rules...

Durham

"I would add that the people at the camp site were very careful...only one at a time in the shop or check in area and face masks (obviously)

And no showers, compliant with the above words...if they are indeed reflective of the rules..."

There was a thread last month about campsites reopening and I found the government statement about shared facilities and they were no where near worded what the cool camping site worded you put in the post above. The government statement wasn't advice either, as a camp site could do what you just said they did, but was set in law with fines for the rule breakers. Trouble is how do people get caught as there's not enough enforcement. Like we said there have been law breakers all the way through this to peoples detriment and families suffering with unfortunately very bad endings. Good things are much better now as the risk of people dying now is vastly reduced so lets hope it all keeps going in the right direction

Totnes

I have just had a look at the govt guidelines and struggled to find anything on camping ..,

This is taken from the caravan club, a pretty big organisation I think ..,they must be taking professional advice on the guidelines ..,where ever the words are .,,,

Cheers

England

All the below campsites are now open. Based on the latest Government guidance issued 8 April, we are pleased to be able to open toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities (excluding showers) at the majority of Club campsites in England. However, due to time constraints and operational issues the campsites shown in red will not have toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities open straight away. Please rest assured other facilities such as motorhome waste points/service points will be available to you if you are staying and using your own onboard facilities. Please check with Affiliated Sites directly for details on the facilities available and please continue to check this list regularly for further updates.

Durham

"I have just had a look at the govt guidelines and struggled to find anything on camping ..,

This is taken from the caravan club, a pretty big organisation I think ..,they must be taking professional advice on the guidelines ..,where ever the words are .,,,

Cheers

England

All the below campsites are now open. Based on the latest Government guidance issued 8 April, we are pleased to be able to open toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities (excluding showers) at the majority of Club campsites in England. However, due to time constraints and operational issues the campsites shown in red will not have toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities open straight away. Please rest assured other facilities such as motorhome waste points/service points will be available to you if you are staying and using your own onboard facilities. Please check with Affiliated Sites directly for details on the facilities available and please continue to check this list regularly for further updates."

The two sites we are booked into wouldn't let us book before 17th May due to the law they said not that we wanted to anyway. We do know that was the rules you say when they reopened last year before they were closed again. Irrelevant really once we get to 17th of this month and just as well the numbers are down if campsites can't get with it with one saying one thing and others other things. All we know is what the government said when they rolled out their road map that is relevant to us and that's what we'll stick to. Roll on 21st June

Durham

This link shows the guidance the government published https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/camping/news/covid-19-campsites-could-open-from-12-april

» Add a new message to this topic