FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Looking for a new bike

Looking for a new bike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he original spikey OP   Man  over a year ago

Chester

This year am looking at selling my Honda cbr1000f and want to buy something abit newer. Ive been looking at sports touring bikes to replace it with as i only use the bike for commuting. The yamaha fazer 1000 is currently what am looking for, but with a budget of £2500 is there anything else on the market that would be a great choice of bike to look at?

Cheers

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Going from a Honda to a Yamaha could be a bit of a disappointment as the build quality of Yamaha are no where near as good as Honda. Have a look at Kawasaki Z1000sx brilliant all rounder. Mrs F had one and when I rode it on the very odd occasion found it was the best balanced bike I had been on. Performance was as good as any sports bike, well it would be, its a zed thousand. Touring with the added luggage makes it the best all rounder in the class you are looking for in my opinion

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a triumph sprint st 1050 and is the best sport tourer you will get for £2500.If you can get a Kwak z1000sx for £2500 ill eat my hat lol

Durham

[Removed by poster at 12/03/21 14:23:03]

Durham

"I have a triumph sprint st 1050 and is the best sport tourer you will get for £2500.If you can get a Kwak z1000sx for £2500 ill eat my hat lol "

Not got a clue on prices just know it's a good bike. I've eaten my hat many times.

Just had a look at prices and yea your hat is safe, couldn't get one for less the 4.5k. My Bad

"I have a triumph sprint st 1050 and is the best sport tourer you will get for £2500.If you can get a Kwak z1000sx for £2500 ill eat my hat lol

Not got a clue on prices just know it's a good bike. I've eaten my hat many times.

Just had a look at prices and yea your hat is safe, couldn't get one for less the 4.5k. My Bad "

They are a great bike for sure, I'd go for the suzuki gsxs1000f myself it leans more on the sporty side though.

Chester

"I have a triumph sprint st 1050 and is the best sport tourer you will get for £2500.If you can get a Kwak z1000sx for £2500 ill eat my hat lol

Just had a look at prices and yea your hat is safe, couldn't get one for less the 4.5k. My Bad "

Go sit in the naughty corner as its way over my budget haha u

It looks like a cracking bike though

Durham

Just had a look at prices and yea your hat is safe, couldn't get one for less the 4.5k. My Bad

It looks like a cracking bike though "

It is. Go rob a bank but don't let Officer Hopson know

It looks like a cracking bike though

It is. Go rob a bank but don't let Officer Hopson know "

I'd look the other way this once

"Going from a Honda to a Yamaha could be a bit of a disappointment as the build quality of Yamaha are no where near as good as Honda. Have a look at Kawasaki Z1000sx brilliant all rounder. Mrs F had one and when I rode it on the very odd occasion found it was the best balanced bike I had been on. Performance was as good as any sports bike, well it would be, its a zed thousand. Touring with the added luggage makes it the best all rounder in the class you are looking for in my opinion "

Sorry but that is just wrong, I've had two FJRs ('09 and a '16 plate) and the quality is excellent being no better or worse than say an ST1300 Pan. Good quality paint and lacquer as well as being very well engineered.

My '93 FJ is a different

Durham

"Going from a Honda to a Yamaha could be a bit of a disappointment as the build quality of Yamaha are no where near as good as Honda. Have a look at Kawasaki Z1000sx brilliant all rounder. Mrs F had one and when I rode it on the very odd occasion found it was the best balanced bike I had been on. Performance was as good as any sports bike, well it would be, its a zed thousand. Touring with the added luggage makes it the best all rounder in the class you are looking for in my opinion

Sorry but that is just wrong, I've had two FJRs ('09 and a '16 plate) and the quality is excellent being no better or worse than say an ST1300 Pan. Good quality paint and lacquer as well as being very well engineered.

My '93 FJ is a different"

I have a Pan 1300ST. I knew a guy who was a police rider. When they changed from the Pan European to the FJ1300 he said they weren't a patch on the Pan. He went on to say not to get him wrong the FJ still does the job.

Na sorry, I just can't agree with that sweeping statement, copper or not I've ridden both over long distance and while they both have their faults (collapsing rotten back ends on the ST and crap suspension linkage assembly on the FJR) I still say what you mentioned previously is wrong.

An FJR is no better nor is it any worse than a Pan on quality of finish, like no Yam is any worse than a Honda, Kawaski or Suzuki.

All modern bikes use water based paints and lacquers so the finish is susceptible to UV, is brittle and usually quite thin due to cost.

I know this because I developed automotive coatings for my daily bread and butter for eighteen years.

Whether coatings and lacquers are made by Akzo, PPG, Sherwin-Williams, DOW-Chemicals or what ever the formulations aren't that different and they are the key suppliers into the Japanese motorcycle industry.

So most paint and lacquer finishes are the same and you end up with the same finish results.

Coatings are similar as are time spent applying the materials to components, thickness of the coating and the environment it's applied in.

My'94 FJ1200 had a terrible finish, na in fact it was appalling, back then though there was a real difference in manufacturer quality, today, well over the past fifteen years or so that gap has almost closed up.

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

Going for a Pan the 1100 is better than the 1300 by a mile & easily within the budget. We have two & swear by them

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

For £2.5k I’d go a bit left field & get a BMW R1100S, I was going to get one but couldn’t afford to lose the luggage space over my much older K100RS so I kept that.

Mate got a 23,000 mile 02 R1100S with fsh & luggage just before Xmas for £2.5k

Chester

Thanks for the comments and suggestions ill be looking out for something in the next couple of weeks, in meantime ive been offered genuine low mileage yam r6 for a good price, so i may consider this too

West Wales

"Thanks for the comments and suggestions ill be looking out for something in the next couple of weeks, in meantime ive been offered genuine low mileage yam r6 for a good price, so i may consider this too "

Careful if the early ones, they have a habit of dropping cylinder liners.

Chester

"Thanks for the comments and suggestions ill be looking out for something in the next couple of weeks, in meantime ive been offered genuine low mileage yam r6 for a good price, so i may consider this too

Careful if the early ones, they have a habit of dropping cylinder liners. "

Oh do they? Is there any other items i should look out for? Its a low mileage 2000 model

West Wales

"Thanks for the comments and suggestions ill be looking out for something in the next couple of weeks, in meantime ive been offered genuine low mileage yam r6 for a good price, so i may consider this too

Oh do they? Is there any other items i should look out for? Its a low mileage 2000 model "

2000 will be a 5EB the model that can have the issue. I just copied this from one of many articles on it

“Just a word of warning with the 5EB R6s, they love to crack the liners, if it starts cutting out when warm do a compression test, most if not all of them suffer with it at some point, there are companies that will reline them, but normally cost more than the bike is worth.”

Maybe have a google, I know a couple of people with 2000-2002 models & they’ve not had issues but they hardly use them & rarely rag them when they do use them.

Just a heads up, you may still get one as they are still a good bike but at least if it did happen you wouldn’t be 100% shocked.

S

Chester

Oh do they? Is there any other items i should look out for? Its a low mileage 2000 model

2000 will be a 5EB the model that can have the issue. I just copied this from one of many articles on it

“Just a word of warning with the 5EB R6s, they love to crack the liners, if it starts cutting out when warm do a compression test, most if not all of them suffer with it at some point, there are companies that will reline them, but normally cost more than the bike is worth.”

Maybe have a google, I know a couple of people with 2000-2002 models & they’ve not had issues but they hardly use them & rarely rag them when they do use them.

Just a heads up, you may still get one as they are still a good bike but at least if it did happen you wouldn’t be 100% shocked.

S

"

Thanks for the heads up on this one just hope it is OK and this does not happen

By *ad habit to breakMan  over a year ago

South manchester

For the money you have look for a Honda CBF1000 really under privileged bike.. Great for all.. commuting.. playing and touring and ITS A HONDA...

I had a Ducati ST4s, with matching luggage, great bike

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Honda Blackbird?

Still a great bike. Plenty used examples around.

» Add a new message to this topic