FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > 125cc bike recommendations

125cc bike recommendations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Did my cbt in October as a 49th birthday present from work. Loved it. Had never ridden a bike before then so am now looking for a relatively cheap second hand 125cc cruiser type bike. I'm happy at 125cc for now, not looking to do my full license any time soon.

Like the look of a suzuki marauder but not easy to come by.

Seen some nice looking jinlun's but reviews are mixed lol same with lexmoto

Ideally not looking to spend much over £1500

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

evesham

40th!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Avoid the non main names they dont last. Theres actually a woman who rides with our harley groupthats got a suzuki marauder, she doesnt seem to have issues and is brilliant on fuel

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Problem with second hand 125 are that learner riders have been riding them. So can often be a bit tatty or have hidden problems with them.

Massive difference between a well loved classic motorcycle, that a veteran biker has ridden to a spotty teenager ragging the engine and brakes of a 125 as he’s been learning to ride.

So take a good look around any bike you’re thinking of buying.

There’s not that many cruiser bikes that are 125 as Harley type of bikes generally have upwards of 1300 cc engines, but I would say stick to the main Japanese makes and buy from a dealer so if you do have problems they’ll sort them out for you.

Welcome to the biking community

By *imBanksMan  over a year ago

Letchworth

How about a Honda Shadow 125?

It's a V-twin too.

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Hi Evie, welcome to our world!

As mentioned, go for one of the 4 Japanese makes.

AVOID Chinese!! X

evesham

"How about a Honda Shadow 125?

It's a V-twin too."

They look good

evesham

"Hi Evie, welcome to our world!

AVOID Chinese!! X"

Thank you. Should probably buy a helmet and jacket first haha

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

Look up Skyteam, they are Chneese made but styled on other well known bikes and use the Honda CG 4 stroke engines so no problems there, I have 2 different Skyteams and had no problems and tha best thing is you can buy brand new for your budget.

I had a Honda cbr 125. Was really nice to ride

"Did my cbt in October as a 49th birthday present from work. Loved it. Had never ridden a bike before then so am now looking for a relatively cheap second hand 125cc cruiser type bike. I'm happy at 125cc for now, not looking to do my full license any time soon.

Ideally not looking to spend much over £1500 "

If you are looking at the marauder which are great bikes, also have a look at the Intruder, I'd still have my one if the rising position wasn't causing major problems for me.

If you go down the Chinese route though and I know this from experience with a lexmoto Arizona (engine destroyed 3rd gear, and was serviced and looked after)... But now I have a Hanway Black Cafe racer and it's the total opposite of the lexmoto, better build quality etc!

You can get some very well looked after bikes for the budget you have, but as others have pointed out you can get some real bad ones.

If you can do, esp when they open up again properly go to a few dealers and sit on the bikes, 99% will advise this as you may find the riding position is not the right one for you.

Hope this helps in some way

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Did my cbt in October as a 49th birthday present from work. Loved it. Had never ridden a bike before then so am now looking for a relatively cheap second hand 125cc cruiser type bike. I'm happy at 125cc for now, not looking to do my full license any time soon.

Ideally not looking to spend much over £1500 "

I would certainly avoid the Chinese brands, although I have heard good things about the AJS bikes which are a British brand manufactured in China.

When I was younger I had a Yamaha Virago (XV125), which was really solid and felt like a much bigger bike. Looks just like their bigger engined versions.

Cal

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

[Removed by poster at 26/03/21 14:23:25]

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

As I told my Daughter a few years ago, keep away from the Chinese cheap crap, electrics are a big problem, yes they look good and claim to be using great engines but if the electrical and electronics side is rubbish you are going to have big problems. Anyway, my daughter was tempted by looks and price and wasted her money. 3 months down the line she broke down and the repair bill was just to much. She then took my advice and with a loan from Dad she bought the Suzuki she should have bought in the first place

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

We have 2 honda vt125 shadows. Both bought without MOT little needed to get them passed. Great bikes for beginners

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

A honda shadow or suzuki marauder or kawasaki eliminator 125 or a yamaha virago 125 or yamaha drag star 125. Any of those would be good. Well depending on the previous owners use or abuse.

But they would all be pritty good.

They get thrashed unfortunately I've just rebuilt a Chinese Kymco Quannon, new crank and camshaft, wouldn't of bought it if I had known

By *SCouple81Couple  over a year ago

Between Edinburgh and Scottish Borders

My first bike after passing cbt was Suzuki Marauder. Great fun. Had it for about 2 years and sold it for the same what I paid for it, once got my full licence. Good older 125s are always keeping value.

anyone interested in a honda cg125 es 04 plate I have 1 I am getting rid of for the right offer

By *andymanpaulMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire

Back in my younger days before I could drive I had a Honda CM125, which was a very nice bike. A bit older now but seen a few about and they are built to last.

I’ve owned a Chinese 125 from new and I’ve got to say, it’s never let me down. No, they aren’t the same quality as one of the big name Japanese bikes, although the build quality is a lot better these days than it was a decade ago. If you look after them and keep on top of maintenance they will last you as long as you want them to. Parts are cheap, maintenance is easily done yourself with a few basic tools, and you can get yourself a brand new bike with a warranty within your budget.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

A used classic shape Honda CG125.

Proven reliable, and if you look after it you will be able to sell it far the same price as you bought it.

Unless you want a sporty bike then reliability and prices climb.

By *hilledGuerillaMan  over a year ago

In the monkey house

Not a cruiser but I can recommend the Honda CBR 125 or the CBF 125. Comfy riding position, engine pulls really well.

By *ave3058Man  over a year ago

southampton & playa del ingles

Have you heard of Daelim daystar real comfortable cruising bike and I just happen to have a low mileage one for sale

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

AVOID Chinese!! X

Thank you. Should probably buy a helmet and jacket first haha "

Get the best helmet you can afford , then a decent jacket.

Try a few make of lids on, as not all fit the same shape head. I found Arai, AGV and Shark fit me best, Shoei wasn't so good.

See if there is a local J&S accessories, I found them to be good.

By *airyfatmanMan  over a year ago

by 'ere

AVOID Chinese!! X

Thank you. Should probably buy a helmet and jacket first haha

Get the best helmet you can afford , then a decent jacket.

Try a few make of lids on, as not all fit the same shape head. I found Arai, AGV and Shark fit me best, Shoei wasn't so good.

See if there is a local J&S accessories, I found them to be good."

I've had similar issues with shoei. Found HJC the most comfortable for me at a reasonable price.

By *lankpattyMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

After salting wifes z125 kawasaki only done 700 miles on a 19 plate After £2500

By *kmaleMan  over a year ago

Bedford

Such a wide range of bikes to choose from. And not easy with so many places to actually go and sit on one.

But welcome to the world of wind on your face

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

The beauty of a 125 is that it is fairly easy to work on, there is only one cylinder (unless you get a posh ine), everything is fairly easy to get to.

Personally I miss the older 125 bikes, like the KR125, Cagiva Mito 125, RD125, I think it was the AR125. Everyone old enough to not be restricted to 12.5 bhp.

By *hor ThumbMan  over a year ago

bristol

If you want reliability, you cant beat a honda. They also do custom ranges on 125. Though, you can wrap those legs around my saddle any day

I had a Yamaha MT125 as my first bike but they are quite pricey for a newer version...I think a 2019 model would cost around 3k. But they do hold their value better than most 125's if maintained, so when you get bored and want to upgrade you'll get most of your money back.

By *ack n FoxyCouple  over a year ago

Notts/Derby border

Yamaha YBR125 or Honda CBF 125.

Both bullet proof, reasonably priced used, reliable, economical, and you pretty much get your money back when you sell if you look after them

Keeway superlight is a good cheap option if youre buying one thats relatively new

Benelli BN125 £2200 brand new

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

sr125 on e bay £900 sounds the ticket

By *reenman19Man  over a year ago

.....no......

"Keeway superlight is a good cheap option if youre buying one thats relatively new"

I would also recommend one on these, I bought one when my ex started to learn, engine is a copy of the cg125. I did not treat it well, I took it everywhere, pretty much ride all day with the throttle pinned. In the end was lending it out to local learners to mess with. It got crashed, stripped and bobbed. Mechanically I had to get a few new tires fresh bearings and got it a semi regular service. Never failed to start, even in winter. The chrome falls off like dandruff.

Sold mine for 400 with 36000 on the odo. The new owner loves it and has continued to thrash it everywhere.

Also had I pioneer Nevada back in the day. Frame was made of cheese. I wouldn't recommend.

I have a kymco Quannon 125 up for sale if you are looking, wanting £850 for it, rebuilt engine, new tyres, pads and fork seals and a years MOT

By *utisimo OrgasmusMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Suzuki GSX S 125

I have one - fantastic bike

I have a Suzuki gz

Great little bike there are some cheap ones out there keep looking

For just over your budget you can get a brand new lexmoto Michigan

A great Cruiser bike, low rider for a 125cc is a Honda VT Shadow. Same engine that's in the Honda Varadero. Comfortable, looks and sounds the part.

"I have a kymco Quannon 125 up for sale if you are looking, wanting £850 for it, rebuilt engine, new tyres, pads and fork seals and a years MOT"
sold

By *rincess and her FrogCouple  over a year ago

congleton

Yamaha SR 125, reliable, really comfy and a low seat hight

I started on a ktm duke 125 very cool first time downside but pricey but then that’s helps of you do your test and are looking to trade it in for a bigger bike

By *eWillMakeYouSquirtCouple  over a year ago

leicester

I would say something cheap because u will get fed up of it quick and u will want more power lol

"The beauty of a 125 is that it is fairly easy to work on, there is only one cylinder (unless you get a posh ine), everything is fairly easy to get to.

Personally I miss the older 125 bikes, like the KR125, Cagiva Mito 125, RD125, I think it was the AR125. Everyone old enough to not be restricted to 12.5 bhp."

The Cagiva MiTo was a thing of beauty. I also owned and Aprillia RS125 Chesterfield...freaking awesome, and taught me a lot about 2 stroke engines.

These days, I'd definitely go for a 125cc cruiser though, despite having a full bike licence. Cheap as chips commuting, and summer days on a bike are second to none.

Are you selling them?

Can you send a photo? And the price please

By *reativecouplederbyCouple  over a year ago

Derby

We are about to sell a Yamaha SR125 which has a cruiser look - dead reliable, ridden daily and maintained - selling due to passing full test and getting a Royal Enfield Interceptor - will probably be asking £1000, and entertain and sensible offers

By *ot meetingMan  over a year ago

down at the bottom of the garden

Personally i would stick to the main Japanese manufacturers Honda being top of the list but also Yamaha, Kawasaki & Suzuki.

I would also avoid any 2 stroke engines, yes more fun but also more temperamental.

By *iscretemale6911Man  over a year ago

Stevenage

One of the things on bucket list was to obtain full Motorbike license and get myself a new toy for sunny day ride outs. Aim was to complete this in 2020- however Covid struck. Only managed to pass CBT last year . With difficulty of booking test last year decided to buy a 125 to at least get on the road. Last year KTM were discounting the RC125 - got one for £2999 brand new. Has been a fantastic bike and if I pass upcoming test will get back what I paid for it. Went for this bike due to high seat height.When selling my mature years will hopefully be a benefit- ie bike owned by old guy to get back on the road. Totally original condition. Not thrashed .

» Add a new message to this topic