FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Filtering

Filtering

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eenb4 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Hi all,

Any tips for filtering through traffic. Had scare many years ago now born again biker bit can't bring myself to do it yet. Keep safe everyone xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uzyamCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

Just assume everyone is out to kill you, had a few people open they're door as you're making your way

By *un KnightsCouple  over a year ago

South West

When filtering, especially past stationary traffic on the motorway, there is always a chance of an incident.

Child opens rear door to get toy from boot, dad wants to see what is going on etc.

Never filter past traffic doing more than 20mph never filter more than 10 miles an hour faster than the other traffic you are passing.

Whilst it won't keep you safe from all it means if you do get caught out there is a good chance you and the thing, person you hit will survive it.

Oh and don't follow the idiots filtering with a death wish. You do your own thing and stay safe.

By *ree-dom69Man  over a year ago

park gate

Just close your eyes and pin it

As above just assume every one is trying to kill you and never ever try to keep up with somebody

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Never filter past traffic doing more than 20mph never filter more than 10 miles an hour faster than the other traffic you are passing.

"

Great advice.

I had heard 15mph and 25mph.

Either way, you get the idea.

Also look further ahead, to avoid squeeze points like traffic islands, junctions(emerging/crossing traffic), traffic lights, bus stops.

Also, depending where you are you can use bus lanes, but be aware, cars will switch lanes at the end of the bus lane.

Also, don't pass vehicles stopped on the zigzags at crossings. It's a grey area in the highway code, but you could be fixed with a fine and three points,if caught overtaking the lead vehicle.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Should read 25mph and 15mph.

By *edsguyMan  over a year ago

south of Bedford

If you take the bike abroad just remember in some EU countries filtering will get you fined!!

Who buys a bike to sit in traffic,

Wise advice above don't filter if solid white lines or zig zags on crossing it will result in points and a fine

By *edsguyMan  over a year ago

south of Bedford

If you take the bike abroad just remember in some EU countries filtering will get you fined!!

Wise advice above don't filter if solid white lines or zig zags on crossing it will result in points and a fine

Newcastle

Hi all thanks so much for the advice. Will work on my slow riding before attempting again me thinks. Keep safe all x

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Hi all,

Any tips for filtering through traffic. Had scare many years ago now born again biker bit can't bring myself to do it yet. Keep safe everyone xx"

Best advice we can give is to sign up to Advanced Motorcycle training. We did it and is the best thing anyone can ever do on two wheels.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Watch out for the numpty car driver, that has a grudge about you filtering. They like to close the gap just as you approach them, I found going round the other side of the car worked very well.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

I hate filtering, if I do it's pretty much not far off the speed of a fast walk.

By *orty-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Leyland

"If you take the bike abroad just remember in some EU countries filtering will get you fined!!

Wise advice above don't filter if solid white lines or zig zags on crossing it will result in points and a fine "

You can overtake on solid white lines....

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 &

By *artine EssexCM8TV/TS  over a year ago

Braintree

Read.

saferessexroads.org/road-users/motorcycling/essex-hugger/

Filtering download.

Thiers lot's of good information on other skills too

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

"Hi all,

Any tips for filtering through traffic. Had scare many years ago now born again biker bit can't bring myself to do it yet. Keep safe everyone xx

Best advice we can give is to sign up to Advanced Motorcycle training. We did it and is the best thing anyone can ever do on two wheels. "

I couldn't agree more. I did my IAM in 2011 and I'm currently doing my RoSPA. Best training I've had and reasonably cheap too. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to be smoother, safer, and a more confident rider

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"When filtering, especially past stationary traffic on the motorway, there is always a chance of an incident.

Child opens rear door to get toy from boot, dad wants to see what is going on etc.

Never filter past traffic doing more than 20mph never filter more than 10 miles an hour faster than the other traffic you are passing.

Whilst it won't keep you safe from all it means if you do get caught out there is a good chance you and the thing, person you hit will survive it.

Oh and don't follow the idiots filtering with a death wish. You do your own thing and stay safe. "

This is good advice

By *utocraft001Man  over a year ago

Halifax

"Just assume everyone is out to kill you, had a few people open they're door as you're making your way "

What he said.

I’m always looking in there mirrors, you can tell if they have seen you. Plus my bike is so loud the know I’m there.

Always cover the brakes.

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Look at the front wheels of the vehicles ahead put put your lights on full beam take your time!

Newcastle

Thanks again for all the advice. Booking a recap course and see if an advance training would help. Almost squeezed by a cement truck on central motorway. Knew I should have a bike with under seat exhaust lolx

By *01funMan  over a year ago

Surrey

Loud pipes safe life's, in this case don't go stupid tho speed difference wise with the other traffic, simples really.

France is crap for filtering had blue lights behind more than once round the periphery in Paris but just keep pace with the French scooters and your fine ha ha bloody French love to fine English bikers.

Filtering has its risks but the main killer of bikers are junctions, so pay even more attention at these when filtering!

Anyhow the phase about sucking eggs comes to mind with all this, lol

» Add a new message to this topic