FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Bike Electrician Required

Bike Electrician Required

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ave 42 OP   Man  over a year ago

pontefract

Hi just wondering if there’s any bike electricians about

I’ve got a Kawasaki VN900 2013 the fuse on the starter relay burnt out so I replaced the fuse bike wouldn’t start so I’ve bought a new battery and a new starter relay but still wouldn’t fire up.

It’s just making a clicking sound as if there’s not enough power in the battery , but it’s brand new

At my wits end I’ve checked all the fuses and connections but can’t think of anything else

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

check regulator rectifier

pontefract

"check regulator rectifier"
will do thanks

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

"Hi just wondering if there’s any bike electricians about

I’ve got a Kawasaki VN900 2013 the fuse on the starter relay burnt out so I replaced the fuse bike wouldn’t start so I’ve bought a new battery and a new starter relay but still wouldn’t fire up.

It’s just making a clicking sound as if there’s not enough power in the battery , but it’s brand new

At my wits end I’ve checked all the fuses and connections but can’t think of anything else

Thanks"

alarm/immobiliser???? a great source of the 'electrical problem'

pontefract

Thanks

alarm/immobiliser???? a great source of the 'electrical problem'"

pontefract

Thanks

alarm/immobiliser???? a great source of the 'electrical problem'"

yeah I used to have a data tool alarm ,immobiliser fitted but had it taken out when the internal battery went and left me high and dry

I’m gunna check all the connections just in case there’s a loose wire anywhere

It was running fine ,got back from a ride out went to put bike away and that’s when it wouldn’t fire up again

Will keep looking

Thanks for the reply

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Clutch switch and sidestand switch can also be an issue, my zzr had faulty sidestand switch

pontefract

"Clutch switch and sidestand switch can also be an issue, my zzr had faulty sidestand switch "
will check them thanks

By *EW4UMRSMan  over a year ago

close 2U

Have you checked the flux capacitor

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Thanks"

A couple on here called cookiekitten He had same problem with his VN900 last year or year before. Not sure he cured it, but maybe drop them a message and see if he can help

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury

I'm wandering if it could be the brushes on your starter motor? Not sure if there's a check that you can do to see if they are serviceable without taking it of.

pontefract

Thanks

A couple on here called cookiekitten He had same problem with his VN900 last year or year before. Not sure he cured it, but maybe drop them a message and see if he can help "

thanks I’ll see if they are still on and message them

pontefract

"I'm wandering if it could be the brushes on your starter motor? Not sure if there's a check that you can do to see if they are serviceable without taking it of."
thanks for the info will try and work my way through the electrical contacts and wiring first but if all else fails I’ll have a look at the starter motor even though it’s been firing up ok until after the last ride out the other day thanks again

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

I take it you have tried bump starting it just incase the starter motor has jammed

Durham

Thanks

A couple on here called cookiekitten He had same problem with his VN900 last year or year before. Not sure he cured it, but maybe drop them a message and see if he can help thanks I’ll see if they are still on and message them"

They are still on, always active in the forums so might even see this post and help

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Sounds stupid but is the new battery good and/or fully charged.

In the past I've had a faulty new one and one that wasn't fully charged

By *ariemike11Couple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Short out solenoid that will bypass any other issue that puts battery straight to starter.

Make sure your out of gear.

If it works you have issue elsewhere.

If it doesn’t work then check all heavy starter cables earth and positive connections. Assuming your new battery fully charged. I then would suspect starter if the connections check out.

pontefract

"Short out solenoid that will bypass any other issue that puts battery straight to starter.

Make sure your out of gear.

If it works you have issue elsewhere.

If it doesn’t work then check all heavy starter cables earth and positive connections. Assuming your new battery fully charged. I then would suspect starter if the connections check out. "

thanks for all the advice today

Will check everything over the weekend and let you know how I get on

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Sounds like solenoid or starter coil to me.

Disconnect battery and test OHMS on both the motor winding and the solenoid coil.

Reconnect battery and check you got permanent voltage on the high power side of the solenoid.

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

The click you hear will more than likely be your solenoid energising, any interlock switch like your stand switch, clutch switch, immobiliser etc will stop your solenoid from energising so I doubt its any of those.

Your regulator/rectifier is what connects from your alternator to your battery acd they are known to blow so you don't get a charge to your battery. Your bike will still run just from the charge that's in your battery for a while but when you come to start it again there is only enough power to energise your solenoid. You then only hear a click and your lights go really dim or out altogether. When you get a new battery you normally have to charge them first as I think a battery cannot be sent through the post charged. The first thing to try is charge your battery, or get some jump leads and try to jump it. If your bike starts then change your regulator/rectifier. Don't get one from a scrapper as it could be a dodgy one, spend a bit extra and get a brand new one.

I hope you sort it soon

Thanks

A couple on here called cookiekitten He had same problem with his VN900 last year or year before. Not sure he cured it, but maybe drop them a message and see if he can help "

That would be us.... Our problem was slightly different in as much as it would crank but not fire..

If its clicking (machine gun fire) for start check battery voltage.. Anything below 11 volts then recharge.. Check voltage while cranking at battery.. Then at starter.. It should be the same.. Mine had a fault where the nut on the back of starter had come loose and arc'd up causing random fits of none start.. It needs to be clean and tight.. Check the earth return from engine block.. Voltmeter from neg battery to engine casing while cranking.. Max of 1 volt. That should be enough to get you going.. If not, send a message... (qualified auto electrician)

pontefract

Thanks

A couple on here called cookiekitten He had same problem with his VN900 last year or year before. Not sure he cured it, but maybe drop them a message and see if he can help

That would be us.... Our problem was slightly different in as much as it would crank but not fire..

If its clicking (machine gun fire) for start check battery voltage.. Anything below 11 volts then recharge.. Check voltage while cranking at battery.. Then at starter.. It should be the same.. Mine had a fault where the nut on the back of starter had come loose and arc'd up causing random fits of none start.. It needs to be clean and tight.. Check the earth return from engine block.. Voltmeter from neg battery to engine casing while cranking.. Max of 1 volt. That should be enough to get you going.. If not, send a message... (qualified auto electrician) "

thanks for the info will have a go over the weekend

What about the actual starter motor ?

[Removed by poster at 23/06/21 16:03:05]

By *ssexmickMan  over a year ago

Rawreth

Check the starter solenoid that's what clicking or it could be a jammed starter motor

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

Check the voltage in the battery. 12.7 volts is the minimum required to start, about 13.5 volts is what it should be to be fully charged. As said before unless it is a gel or mat battery it is unlikely to be fully charged from new.

As a check run a heavy wire from the positive straight to the starter motor and see if it turns. If the battery is charged it should. If it doesn't and the battery is charged look at your solenoid, it clicks so is getting power.

It is possible to have burnt the connections on the solenoid but didn't you say you replaced it?

pontefract

Thanks too everyone for their advice. Managed to get bike running was a faulty side stand switch

A bit of wd40 and it fired up straight away

Thanks again everyone

By *ot meetingMan  over a year ago

down at the bottom of the garden

Did you charge the new battery before fitting?

Is it the correct battery? Sounds daft but I have fitted new ones that are listed as being the correct fitment but the crank ampage was too low.

If you need a hand, pm us..

Durham

"Thanks too everyone for their advice. Managed to get bike running was a faulty side stand switch

A bit of wd40 and it fired up straight away

Thanks again everyone "

Always check obvious first. Kill Switch, Side stand switch and clutch switch if clutch needed to be pulled in to start. Mrs F once dropped her Z1000 at a junction on a group ride out. No one could get it to start once they lifted it up. I walked up, asked if anyone had turned ignition off then back on, 'no' was the reply 'but we've checked the kill switch'. I turned it off then back on, fired up. Don't forget people modern bikes have a fuel cut off when bikes are dropped heavy.

Me thinks starter is jammed, leave ignition off, put in gear and rock back and for ????

pontefract

Thanks for all the great advice from all the fab bikers it was much appreciated

Be safe out there cos there’s some crazy car drivers about

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

[Removed by poster at 08/08/21 11:12:23]

Give the tyres a wee kick. If that doesnt work. Then I'm all out of ideas...

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

... and the solution was?...

lol

pontefract

"... and the solution was?...

lol"

a faulty side stand switch

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

"... and the solution was?...

lola faulty side stand switch "

Glad you got it sorted. This thread will help someone else sometime.

» Add a new message to this topic