FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > First big bike recommendations

First big bike recommendations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Iv got my bike test later this year but I'm stuck on what bike to get iv rode bigger bikes before (borrowed a gsxr 600 k2 for a few months many moons ago) what would you recommend that's insurance friendly over 600cc and not likely to get bored of in a week my budget is 3k

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ltFun91Man  over a year ago

birmingham

My first bike was a gsxr 750. Was a great first bike.

"My first bike was a gsxr 750. Was a great first bike. "

Iv been looking at the 750 srad it's a tempting option

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Whatever you want. Don’t be put off by big cc bikes, you’re in control, just take you time to learn the machine.

"Whatever you want. Don’t be put off by big cc bikes, you’re in control, just take you time to learn the machine. "

Big cc bikes don't worry me it's the man from the pru and reliability that I'm worried about

SV650 or bandit perhaps? Pretty bulletproof bikes. As you improve you start needing to plan overtakes but great first bikes to gain experience before moving to dream bike. Don't discount additional training eg bikesafe (1 day with the police bikers), advanced training with RoSPA or IAM. Have fun x

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

My first big bike was a VFR400R, followed by a Suzuki RF600 and finally the psycho R6.

The other bikes helped get sort of ready to ride the R6, but it still kicked my arse at first.

By *iscretemale6911Man  over a year ago

Stevenage

Passed a few weeks ago and purchased a CBR650F . Is great for now but already looking at upgrade next spring .

My first bike was a yamaha R6. Cost me 3k. Was a cracking bike. Definitely learn to ride properly and get some skills on something like that before jumping on something with twice the power. Or buy a big noisy 1200cc harley davidson. You should be fine on that cos they only have about 45 horsepower and top out at 60mph max... lol.

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

Depends on what style of bike you want.

Your 33 so should still be able to get off a sports bike and stand up straight lol.

Sports tourers give the best of both worlds.

Make a list of what you fancy and then test ride, opinions will always be subjective due to personal tastes, I’ve had Harleys, zx7r, sv650, hornet, bandit, drz400, speed triple 955i (great bike) April’s Millie 1000, Kim 990 super duke, Full powe VMax plus many more.

All where great bikes but I can’t ride a sports bike any more and looking at the MV Augusta Brutale 800 or a speed triple 1050 for my next bike.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, never be put off by others, try for yourself

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

SV650 would be a good choice, they are a decent bike & if you run one for a year or so it'll bring your insurance cost down on something bigger/quicker then. As you're on a budget, SRAD 750s are great value, cracking bike for £2k, but pretty lively for a new rider, would be dear to insure and they drink petrol too, I'm lucky to get 30mpg out of mine. Generally, 1995-2005 bikes are the best value at present, plenty of spares are available cheap from breakers too.

By *iffty SamCouple  over a year ago

kent

Get a Bandit, reliable and bullet proof, it will do everything you want it to do and you can buy tons of tat and bling off just bandits web site.

Good all round bike.

By *ccasionallyTemptedMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

Hi, I’d recommend looking at a Triumph Sprint St1050 I have one and if you need any info PM me.

By *SCouple81Couple  over a year ago

Between Edinburgh and Scottish Borders

My first big bike was SV650. Had it for about 3 months and changed for Kawasaki Vulcan S. Amazing bike. Depends what kind of bike you are after.

By *r PimmsMan  over a year ago

Swansea

Hi your insurance will be an issue,I’d recommend an older bike(15-20)and spend £1500 max just in case you drop her.

Their cheap to insure as your first bike.

You can pick up a decent SV650S or CBR600F for that price and both are bullet proof,reliable,easy to handle,maintain and great fun.

Good luck with your test and ride safe.

Depends what style you want, if you want race rep or to be sat up a bit who are you riding with, if they all ride race reps you will struggle to keep up on a sit up bike and the reverse is true, street triple, big bandit or zephyr or one of the Yam mt07 might be a good choice I like the triples and twins they tend to have more torque low down great if you aren't reving the nuts off them

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

Depends on how big you are.

A 6ft plus person will not be comforatble on a small 600.

Generally the bigger frame you are the bigger the bike.

A yamaha900 diversion is a very easy bike to ride /control.smooth gears ad power delivery is not harsh.you can ride themslow and smoothly .shaft drive 5 speed .comfy position.my mrs bought one after passing her test(on a yam 600xj) she loves it and rides with me very well.i,ve had 139 bikes in my lifetime.all have good and bad but as a new rider avoid bikes with huge tourque or powerbands that will bite you in the arse!

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

Test ride everything that you like the look of and also ones that you might not have thought about.

Also think about whether you’ll be riding 2 up or not as you’ll probably want something larger than a 600 (although it can handle it I find a litre or above bike better)

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

MT07 is a great first bike, nice power, can throw it about. Was my first bike and still have it in the garage with my others

By *ut_pierced_cockMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

I passed my test 2 months ago and went for a Ducati 821 Monster, people thought I was mad but it hasn't phased me yet and it's a comfy bike as well.

"Get a Bandit, reliable and bullet proof, it will do everything you want it to do and you can buy tons of tat and bling off just bandits web site.

Good all round bike. "

This. Bought one day or so after passing my test. 03 plate 600. £995. 23.000 miles. A great first big bike.

"My first bike was a yamaha R6. Cost me 3k. Was a cracking bike. Definitely learn to ride properly and get some skills on something like that before jumping on something with twice the power. Or buy a big noisy 1200cc harley davidson. You should be fine on that cos they only have about 45 horsepower and top out at 60mph max... lol. "

Damn, my 883 does 59 with my head on the bars.

By *ohshamboMan  over a year ago

oldham

I used to have a fireblade, I stopped biking for a few years so lost my no claims bonus, when I wanted to get back into it insurance for a blade was ridiculous,so got a Yamaha thundercat I've got a kawasaki z1000sx now that's a good bike don't have to crouch down with my old back

I just passed my test and have a 1997 vfr 750. Perfect for commuting and touring. Not slow by any stretch. Will do 145 plus, and quick enough off the lights. Sounds amazing. And ultra reliable. Tried and tested bike with a bit of a following now as they're almost a classic. Sports bikes are fun but you will start to get sore after 45 mins. Buy one while they are cheap. You can't go wrong.

If I had bought a 600 bandit I don't think I'd be biking now, I find them really gutless having to rev the nuts off them everywhere

I like twins and triples ducati, MT 07 & 09, 675 streetfighter etc etc

By *inkyRebelMan  over a year ago

Swindon

I have the CMX500 rebel.

As my first big bike.

Can recommend them.

Its a Honda so reliable.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"I just passed my test and have a 1997 vfr 750. Perfect for commuting and touring. Not slow by any stretch. Will do 145 plus, and quick enough off the lights. Sounds amazing. And ultra reliable. Tried and tested bike with a bit of a following now as they're almost a classic. Sports bikes are fun but you will start to get sore after 45 mins. Buy one while they are cheap. You can't go wrong. "

Of course it is bomb proof, it is a honda. I love the noise of them, the gear driven cams add peace of mind as well. I had the 400 version, nice bike but gutless.

The only thing that got me into trouble was the linear way the power comes in, I would creep over the speed limit without noticing.

Hubbies first bike was a 650 deauville... Bit of an old man's bike, but we liked the idea of touring and figured a pan would be a tad too large. V twin. Linked brakes. Solid handling and shaft drive.. Its not fast, more of a plodder but it got us where we wanted to go.

By *oinhibitionsMan  over a year ago

Sutton

Just got back into biking after a long break. Bought a vl800 cruiser and loving it.

By *iker boy 69Man  over a year ago

midlands

"Iv got my bike test later this year but I'm stuck on what bike to get iv rode bigger bikes before (borrowed a gsxr 600 k2 for a few months many moons ago) what would you recommend that's insurance friendly over 600cc and not likely to get bored of in a week my budget is 3k "

Cbr600 fs. Pick em up cheap enough and not gona be mad on insurance, plus good fun

"My first bike was a yamaha R6. Cost me 3k. Was a cracking bike. Definitely learn to ride properly and get some skills on something like that before jumping on something with twice the power. Or buy a big noisy 1200cc harley davidson. You should be fine on that cos they only have about 45 horsepower and top out at 60mph max... lol.

Damn, my 883 does 59 with my head on the bars. "

My brother in law 1200 an 883 conversion does 70mph

Love my 1967 BSA Thunderbolt

"My first bike was a yamaha R6. Cost me 3k. Was a cracking bike. Definitely learn to ride properly and get some skills on something like that before jumping on something with twice the power. Or buy a big noisy 1200cc harley davidson. You should be fine on that cos they only have about 45 horsepower and top out at 60mph max... lol.

Damn, my 883 does 59 with my head on the bars.

My brother in law 1200 an 883 conversion does 70mph "

My 883 is a bit old for that now. Many a time in the past I thought about the conversion but never got past the starting post. What tickles me is the 883 sport name. Good runner although it's not been on the road this year.

Depends on your age and what your plans are

When I was younger a good sports bike was cool

Then the arthritis started to kick in as bending over a tank etc took its toll on longer journeys

Now at 60 yrs old I rely on an old 02 plate Honda Deauville, I do a lot of distance riding and camping and the 650cc is ample plenty for me.

Living in Glasgow I’m central to the Scottish Highlands so the Deauville is an excellent machine for an old dude like myself

By *nrealfeelMan  over a year ago

cork

My days were 2 stroke 125cc but funny enough I've a grom...honda msx 125....I've a ktm690smc bmwr1150gs and 5vy r1 and the grom gets the attention....

By *3007Man  over a year ago

stafford

My 1st big bike was a gsxr 600,loved it but wanted something bigger not long after. Buy a cheap bike to get used to then get something nice

I passed my test in Bristol in 88, went straight out and got a RG 250 two stroke. What a handful but kept it for 14 years and wish I’d never sold it as worth a fortune now

Prefer big trail bikes now as they are great tourers, very manoeuvrable and can actually do rough tracks.

Just ride within your limits on whatever you choose

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

I passed my test 4 years ago and went out and bought a gsx750f, still on it now, cheap, bulletproof, and comfy for kitty on the back when she wants to come out.

Mine was a fs1e ????

» Add a new message to this topic