E10 Fuel for older bikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Northumberland

Discuss!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Northumberland

NY local garage will not be stocking the premium E5 fuel!

Northumberland

My local garage I mean.

Xx

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

According to the government website my 1989 Yamaha is fine running on it, not sure about my 1967 triumph tho even with it's unleaded conversion. I will be running mine on both a tank of e10 then a tank of e5 I will be running e5 on long rides out no matter what just for piece of mind. In fact I am doing same thing with my 05 car.

By *xyBs2022Couple  over a year ago

Lancs

I know some friends of ours got caught out on a ride over to Wales when only E10 was available at the service stations, they put it in to get home but drained the tanks asap, the bikes ran ok but they’re of the opinion that it affects seals pipes etc after repeated use, not sure if thats right tbh. I was also talking to a guy who has a boat with a big outboard on it, he got sold an additive to add to his tank, a cap full in 20ltrs, again not sure if that’s the solution but if it works it may be worth thinking about if same can be used in bikes

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

We soon won't have any choice but to use E10 as E5 is getting phased out. Petrol station I use the E5 pump was locked, only E10 was available. Europe has had E10 for many years now and my 09 Pan went well for 3000 on it a few years back

By *xyBs2022Couple  over a year ago

Lancs

"We soon won't have any choice but to use E10 as E5 is getting phased out. Petrol station I use the E5 pump was locked, only E10 was available. Europe has had E10 for many years now and my 09 Pan went well for 3000 on it a few years back "

It’s a bit of a strange one because if it’s only affecting seals and fuel lines as I’ve been led to believe then why are some bikes ok others not so, suppose it’s down to lubrication and how it burns etc if so maybe an additive would work

Northumberland

So I checked the Kawasaki website and my bike is not on their list of e10 tested bikes so they recommend only E5.

As it looks like my local garages are/may not stock E5, I'll look into additives.

My bike is a thirsty beast with about a 170 mile range on a tank, so this is a right royal pain in the ass!

Xx

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

I'm running nicely on E10, bike is 45 years old. Carbs have floats that area ethanol proof, the fuel hose is Gates suitable for E10, and carb gaskets are recent modern material. My bike is pretty ethanol proof.

The problem will be if the fuel is left in the tank and the bike not moved or run for a couple of months, but few get left that often. I also suspect it will possibly ice carbs for those without FI as this E10 is alleged to vaporise more easily.

Northumberland

"I'm running nicely on E10, bike is 45 years old. Carbs have floats that area ethanol proof, the fuel hose is Gates suitable for E10, and carb gaskets are recent modern material. My bike is pretty ethanol proof.

The problem will be if the fuel is left in the tank and the bike not moved or run for a couple of months, but few get left that often. I also suspect it will possibly ice carbs for those without FI as this E10 is alleged to vaporise more easily. "

Interesting, might have a look at doing some mods like that. The fuel filter can be changed easily but the fuel pump might not be too easy.

Time to delve into the workshop manual and see what can be changed I think.

The carbs were modified by Kawasaki to be water cooled to keep them warm in the winter to stop them iceing when the throttle gets snapped open.

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

I have an 1989 Suzuki intruder E10 is not touching my bike. Don't wanna risk it. Suzuki say not to use it older than 20 years.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"We soon won't have any choice but to use E10 as E5 is getting phased out. Petrol station I use the E5 pump was locked, only E10 was available. Europe has had E10 for many years now and my 09 Pan went well for 3000 on it a few years back "

Super unleaded will remain E5 for the foreseeable future. There will be no need to use E10 for the time being.

Northumberland

"We soon won't have any choice but to use E10 as E5 is getting phased out. Petrol station I use the E5 pump was locked, only E10 was available. Europe has had E10 for many years now and my 09 Pan went well for 3000 on it a few years back

Super unleaded will remain E5 for the foreseeable future. There will be no need to use E10 for the time being. "

That's the plan and I know, however my local garage have stopped stocking it.

By *unglebook40Man  over a year ago

hull

"We soon won't have any choice but to use E10 as E5 is getting phased out. Petrol station I use the E5 pump was locked, only E10 was available. Europe has had E10 for many years now and my 09 Pan went well for 3000 on it a few years back

Super unleaded will remain E5 for the foreseeable future. There will be no need to use E10 for the time being.

That's the plan and I know, however my local garage have stopped stocking it."

There has been a massive amount of super leaded bought due to the E10 switch over.

No where near the usual amount of normal unleaded has been bought, thus fuel suppliers have been caught out and deliveries to fuel stations rescheduled to keep up with demand. This has seen 'some' forecourts capitalise on the shortage and up the prices of the good stuff!

BP near hull was £1:57 p/l last week!

The best is Esso super unleaded which I believe has lowest ethanol content of all

But if they have stopped selling E5/super I'd sack em off and go elsewherel

By *andDeeCouple  over a year ago

Ashford

I was just reading on a classic car page that you can get ethanol stabiliser. It’s not going to make much, or any difference to lines and seals, but will help prevent moisture build up in tanks.

My bike (1998 Firestorm)doesn’t like super unleaded. On a run I found it was hesitating when cracking open the throttle, but on standard unleaded E10 the bike behaved better.

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

E10 also attacks the solder used on brass floats used in older bikes.

Not going anywhere near my 1980 gs550 bobber.

They diversion and her cb500 are ok with it though so not too bad for us.

Ashford

"E10 also attacks the solder used on brass floats used in older bikes.

They diversion and her cb500 are ok with it though so not too bad for us."

From what I have read, due to E10 being hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) unless your CB500 and Divvy are regularly refuelled it can cause problems. Also keep a check on your fuel levels as I found the MPG has dropped by at least 20 miles per tank

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

"E10 also attacks the solder used on brass floats used in older bikes.

They diversion and her cb500 are ok with it though so not too bad for us.

From what I have read, due to E10 being hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) unless your CB500 and Divvy are regularly refuelled it can cause problems. Also keep a check on your fuel levels as I found the MPG has dropped by at least 20 miles per tank"

Yes I have heard from a lot of different people that there miles per gallon has dropped dramatically. Not just on motorcycles but on cars too. This is not good news for the pockets of anyone driving any type of vehicle.

By *r_N_MrsCumslutCouple  over a year ago

Dartford

Been told my bike doesn't like the new e10 fuel its a early bmw

Ashford

"Been told my bike doesn't like the new e10 fuel its a early bmw "

My VTR1000 doesn’t like the E5 super. Bike was running fine. Put that in and it hesitates slightly before going, but being a carbed bike, it’s a tough call.

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

I've a 20yr d aprilia that can't use E10 (plastic tank) and a 11yr old triumph that can. Convenient the aprilia is broken and in the garage awaiting repair then

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

Mine is 30years old Suzuki Intruder for the extra couple of quid for the expensive E5 not running the risk. Does mean have to plan where I go to make sure I can get it.

By *artin ramseyMan  over a year ago

kendal

Just done nc500 on my 94 pan European not much choice in some garages so E10 it was bike ran fine managed to get e5 last couple of fill ups so it's all out of her now by the way it's stunning up there back again next year I think

E10 is 5% more Ethanol than E5, it’s only a problem if left standing long term, I’m running 2 strokes on E10 and having no issues at all and I even Dyno’d it to see if there was a power difference and there isn’t.

I hammer my bikes so if there was going to be an issue it would have popped up by now.

I have an 02 Honda Deauville, currently in garage for repair as was in near fatal crash recently.

I’ve been assured ALL Honda machines can run on E10 no problem

By *otorcyclingPerson666Man  over a year ago

western hemisphere , planet earth

its the devils spunk!!!! my vmax runs like a bag of shite with it ;(

ignore the compatibility lists online, a lot o biker buds reporting same bad running issues with it even tho they been assured they will be compatible...

E10 fuel older carb and injector models any make stay away from it

it will eat away the rubber seals in the carbs

if you have no choice but to use it get a petrol additive to go into your tank like redex or equivalent

By *hocksandmissusCouple  over a year ago

Chester-ish

I ride a 2006 Honda Shadow on carbs. From what i have read E10 can be used although not recommended in my bike. The site said it would be ok on hot sunny days but may run quite lumpy when the temp drops.

So for me i will just stick to the E5 or premium fuel.

The big rule for E10 is that if you have an older bike or car you don't store the vehicle with E10 in the system as it will corrode rubber pipes, seals, and brass elements of the fuel system.

You should also remember that any modern fuel starts to go off after a month and its octane and other additives start to weaken.

That's why professionals use a synthetic petrol called Aspen. Prior to storage over winter or longer they will drain fuel system and put a few litres of Aspen in tank and run it through the system.

When next year arrives you just fill tank with E5 and carry on.

I've read a few reviews about the additives for E10 but they really don't work at preventing corrosion.

You can if you have the time get some containers fill with E10 and remove the Ethanol, lots of videos showing how to do it online.

E10 is also hygroscopic which means it attracts water from the air. That basically means the inside of your fuel tank etc will start to rust. When using E10 during the season always try to keep petrol tank full with less air in the tank.

For me I'm just going to pay the few pence extra and run my bike on Super Unleaded as it is staying E5.

By *ichi_acerMan  over a year ago

notts

I’ve decided to retire my classic bike finding bits for old Hondas is near impossible

the e10 will probably reduce the bike to scrap

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

ESSO 99 octain is ethanol free it say E5 because they have to but look up esso website.(not fakenews bullsites) i use it its £154 per litre at mo.

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

The rate fuel is going up the only thing being driven is motorists being driven crazy

Worth reading a book by Paul Ireland, Classic Engines, Modern Fuel: The Problems, the Solutions

By *haron1701DTV/TS  over a year ago

ormskirk

"Just done nc500 on my 94 pan European not much choice in some garages so E10 it was bike ran fine managed to get e5 last couple of fill ups so it's all out of her now by the way it's stunning up there back again next year I think"

Im doing the NC500 next year. Also on a Pan (1100)

Northumberland

So closest garage to me doesn't sell E5.

The garage near my work sells E5 at 159.9.

What a ripoff, it will cost a fortune to run ,

Xx

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"So I checked the Kawasaki website and my bike is not on their list of e10 tested bikes so they recommend only E5.

As it looks like my local garages are/may not stock E5, I'll look into additives.

My bike is a thirsty beast with about a 170 mile range on a tank, so this is a right royal pain in the ass!

Xx"

My R6 did 120, 130 at a push. So 170 isn't that bad.

By *nd121againMan  over a year ago

Northwich

Put an oldskool (1980's 1990's)

Carb oring in a cup of E10 and a cup of E5 fuel and see what happens. I won't be running E10 unless I replace all of the carb orings fuel tap diaphragms etc. to newer spec. And don't even get me saturated o my plastic tank on the Bim.

By *hadesofrhythmMan  over a year ago

Towcester

"Put an oldskool (1980's 1990's)

Carb oring in a cup of E10 and a cup of E5 fuel and see what happens. I won't be running E10 unless I replace all of the carb orings fuel tap diaphragms etc. to newer spec. And don't even get me saturated o my plastic tank on the Bim."

Totally agree on the plastic tank.... It'll warp the shit out of it.... £1500 for a new tank on mine... That is if I can get hold of one..

Used it on my 99 triumph TT600, made it run very hot, had to swap bikes due to ulez extension, seems to be no problem on Gsx650f

By *corpaMan  over a year ago

Laceby

Just put v power in or super+.

It's peace ofmind

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

Well if you have a carb bike and it fails due to seals you,ll have to fit viton seals and o rings (invented by Dupont) viton rubber is ethanol proof.

I,m sure additives also help but hard to belive the bullshit most makes claim...more power self clean etc.

» Add a new message to this topic