FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Accelerated learner courses

Accelerated learner courses

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've been wanting to get a motorcycle license for years now but have always talked myself out of it whenever I get close to booking for a CBT.

Just got back from a holiday abroad and seeing the casual approach to motorcycle riding in some countries made me want to get my license again!

Looking at courses local to me, I've come across accelerated courses that can get me a full license inc a CBT in less than a week.

Do any of you experienced riders have any thoughts on these courses? Do they tend to make for some sloppy riding?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouplewanting30Couple  over a year ago

Thetford

I did this. Just depends how sensible you are. Don't push beyond your capability especially when riding with mates. Then the more you ride the more experienced you become.

By *ogaly674Man  over a year ago

Spalding

My only advice if your going down the accelerated course is get your theory test sorted before you book your course. I only suggest it as I know someone who failed it on the first day and was unable to take practical tests until they had completed the theory which resulted in booking more time off work to take the tests.

Good Luck whatever you decide

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Same advice as I always give. Passing your test is just the beginning of gaining experience. Once you have passed go get some advanced training from the likes of IAM which has rebranded as Road Smart. This just might save your life as you will learn road positioning and all the best techniques in the book. Go get your licence OP, then start learning

By *nal-DelightTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Yup, young lad working for me got his quickie license on the Saturday, died hitting a car head on overtaking on a bend the next day, his birthday.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Booked myself on a full course costing £600. I did my CBT and then a month or so later did an hour on the bigger bike. Then the tester said I was ready for my test. I’d been practicing on my own 125 and my road skills were deemed good enough ( 30+ years driving and HGV etc) so my advice is don’t book a full course until you have been assessed. I basically paid £600 for an hours lesson and hire of bike plus the cost of mod one and two. You are not tested on riding a motorbike but on your skills as a road user if that makes sense.

Last year I just booked CBT got that done then booked theory done that couple days later then just rang the place I did CBT with and they booked me in the full test the next week

Have you had any riding experience previously? If not, then perhaps think about doing a cbt first to make sure it's for you. You could then do your theory and DAS. Many schools have offers for DAS training over a week or so.

If you want to go the accelerated route see if the school offer a taster session first. It's a lot of money if you don't enjoy it although bigger bikes are easier to ride on the whole.

Find a reputable local school who will teach you to ride not just pass your test and then consider some advanced training. The day you go for a ride and think you know it all is probably the day to give up.

By *ssexmickMan  over a year ago

Rawreth

Most places do a cbt a week or so in advance just in case you dont meet the required std then you get a chance to retake the cbt before the rest of the training well thats what they did when i was an instructor lol

» Add a new message to this topic