FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Parking up for winter.

Parking up for winter.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icksfocus OP   Man 29 weeks ago

Pontefract

What do you do when parking up for winter?

I brim the fuel tanks.

Put bikes on front and rear paddock stands.

Lube chains and cables.

Put batteries on optimisers.

Start every week or so and refill tanks to top.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *airytalesCouple 29 weeks ago

Durham

Not a good idea to fill your tank. Modern petrol containing ethanol. absorbing water and degrades over time. We used to keep airplanes tank full of fuel to stop water being absorbed but they also had a fuel sample point at the lowest part of the tank to test for water in the fuel. I do coat any chromium surface with acf50. I have found that newer bikes (2016 Kawasaki) do rust very quickly in comparison to older bikes I've had that sat outside all year round. I have never had a problem with bike tyres sat on the ground for long periods of time GSXR sat for two years after a knee operation no problems.

By *ougar1966Woman 29 weeks ago

Newport

Hubby says:

Brim tanks with Esso Premium, contains zero ethanol in most areas. Check websites for areas with it in.... Only pump fuel that is free from the 'orrible stuff.

Pontefract

"Hubby says:

Brim tanks with Esso Premium, contains zero ethanol in most areas. Check websites for areas with it in.... Only pump fuel that is free from the 'orrible stuff. "

I only run both of them on shell v power. Even though the triumph would run on E10.

By *ariemike11Couple 29 weeks ago

Aberdeenshire

Briggs and Stratton do a very good fuel stabiliser. Petrol has a three month life then goes stale.

By *eardedvillainMan 29 weeks ago

Bangor N.Ireland

On my gsx-s full tank with Sta-bil fuel stabilizer,the Sprint the tank drained removed and kept in the house as its plastic.Both batteries kept in the house and put on the smart charge once a month for 24hrs.XCP rust blocker clearcoat put on also

By *ittall2020Man 29 weeks ago

Norwich

I always clean them then make sure they are really dry (especially the calipers). Oil the chain. I also try to do an oil change if there hasn't been one very recently. I trickle charge the battery every couple of weeks (I've gone off battery tenders), and leave it full of fuel. Most useful of all though is making a list of all the little things that need doing so I can sort them sometime in the winter.

By *dy-ukTV/TS 29 weeks ago

Offenham

Usually give it a check over.

Fill it up with petrol at end of my last trip anyhow, but always use E5, so it's full and ready for next trip.

Also if I run out petrol for mower, I can syphon some out.

Chain I have a scottoiler, and it's pretty much am ways clean and oiled.

Oil change I'll do in spring, start of the season.

No point doing oil change before winter, then letting that new oil sit for a few months, picking up all the condensation / contamination whilst it's sat waiting.

Tyres i make sure are at pressure, no need to take weight off, bike isn't that heavy.

Give it a good wash then polish and treat any metal / alloy with acf50.

All my accessories plug to battery with the optimate plug. So I disconnect this which prevents any battery drain. Then every so often will plug in into the optimate to keep charged. I don't leave the optimate connected all the time as I believe anything left plugged in, is a fire risk.

Over winter I'll do any jobs I feel like doing.

This winter I'll get around to replacing the brake fluid and antifreeze / coolant with new.

By (user no longer on site) 29 weeks ago

E5 petrol in my 05 gen1

By *ikester85Man 29 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

I ride mine

By *hitchurchBikerMan 29 weeks ago

Whitchurch

"I ride mine "

Me too.

Pontefract

"I ride mine "

I used to when I was 16/17.

By (user no longer on site) 29 weeks ago

"I ride mine "

Me too, very few days you can't ride over the winter these days

By *lex46TV/TS 28 weeks ago

Near Wells

I ride a couple of mine.

The one's I don't ride, I drain the fuel tank and run the carbs dry ( I don't own any FI bikes). Disconnect the battery and I don't put them on charge until I need to in the spring. Block of the exhaust outlet to stop any moisture getting in. Drain the engine oil so I make sure they get fresh oil. Oil the chain and pump the tyres to about 50psi.

I'll also give them a clean and put a cover over them.

By *olinservingMan 28 weeks ago

wallasey

"I ride a couple of mine.

The one's I don't ride, I drain the fuel tank and run the carbs dry ( I don't own any FI bikes). Disconnect the battery and I don't put them on charge until I need to in the spring. Block of the exhaust outlet to stop any moisture getting in. Drain the engine oil so I make sure they get fresh oil. Oil the chain and pump the tyres to about 50psi.

I'll also give them a clean and put a cover over them."

How many do you have??!

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

Clean them

Cover them in acf50 or xcp and use.

2 are old and will come out on dry crisp days, the other is new so gets used when I’m in the mood, regardless of condition

By *amish SMan 28 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Spray with protector spray and use it.

» Add a new message to this topic