FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > GSX 1400 Vs VFR 800

GSX 1400 Vs VFR 800

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *edgehog OP   Man  over a year ago

Swansea

I have a VFR 800. It's a seriously nice machine but not really my style. I'm not that fast a rider and I find it a little uncomfortable.

I've always fancied a GSX 1400. It'll be more upright and the lack of fairing would mean I wouldn't find myself doing 100mph without realising.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go for the GSX? Reasons to keep the VFR would be that it's such a good bike and has done hardly any milage and the resale value would be insultingly low.

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

The VFR is a very good bike. My father in law has one and he can embarress the power ranger brigade at the ripe old age of 70.

I've never ridden Suzuki but it does look comfortable. That coupled to huge lazy motor it will still have you hooning it lol

Swansea

I used to have an old, overweight GSX 750. That had the fairing of_ and big bars put on. I wasn't sure at first but it rode well and I was really confident on it. I think it suited my style.

By *ordycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

I've always had in-line 4s, BUT, did 2 weeks tour on a hired BMW F800GS and really enjoyed the experience of my 1st parallel twin. Very comfortable. It had a lower seat conversion coz I'm a short arse. Wud consider the adventure style now if I was to change.

Swansea

[Removed by poster at 18/05/18 11:03:54]

Swansea

"I've always had in-line 4s, BUT, did 2 weeks tour on a hired BMW F800GS and really enjoyed the experience of my 1st parallel twin. Very comfortable. It had a lower seat conversion coz I'm a short arse. Wud consider the adventure style now if I was to change. "

I've always liked the look of the Triumph Tiger. And the name if I'm honest.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

The only fault with GSX 1400 fuel consumption. It's crap at about 30mpg apart from that it's faultless

Swansea

30?!

OK, fuck that then!

Durham

"30?!

OK, fuck that then!"

A mate bought one thought there was a problem so looked in forums. You can help it a bit by adding a power commander and mapping it apparently. Don't know of this first hand just what mate had said he'd read in forum. The Honda equivalent is much better. My heed is not working is it the CB1300 or something. Couple of mates have them and love them GSX mate wishes he'd bought one of them instead

Swansea

There is a hefty Honda that I quite like the look of... Maybe I'll look into that.

Thing is, I'll get bugger all for mine even though it's done sod all mileage. It'll cost a lot to change and it's a brilliant bike. I probably just need to get over myself and keep it really.

Or have two bikes...

Durham

"There is a hefty Honda that I quite like the look of... Maybe I'll look into that.

Thing is, I'll get bugger all for mine even though it's done sod all mileage. It'll cost a lot to change and it's a brilliant bike. I probably just need to get over myself and keep it really.

Or have two bikes..."

Keep it. I have 3 Mrs F has 1 and I'm looking at buying a triumph explorer 1200 to add to the stable. Why sell it when it's worth more to you. Just keep adding.

Swansea

Money really. Same argument though I suppose. If it's going to cost to upgrade then what's the point? Fair enough.

By *ordycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

aye, love the Tiger. Never read any negative reports. It's a big bugger !!

By *addySarahCouple  over a year ago

Dorset

Love my GSX1400, great for touring, comfortable when doing the miles, almost indestructible as I've come of it and apart from a few minor scratches just broke the knob of the clutch lever, accidentally put diesel in it and rode it for a few miles spluttering and backfiring thought id done major damage but after a flush through it was perfectly ok!

Swansea

"Love my GSX1400, great for touring, comfortable when doing the miles, almost indestructible as I've come of it and apart from a few minor scratches just broke the knob of the clutch lever, accidentally put diesel in it and rode it for a few miles spluttering and backfiring thought id done major damage but after a flush through it was perfectly ok!"

I'd just decided not to get one, too! Is 30mpg about right would you say?

By *lay_N_cum2Couple  over a year ago

Somewhere in Scotland

i started of on a VFR nice bike to get you started but love my GSX 14 had it from new 55 plate never misses a beat 42k on it and still going strong i have had it all over Europe for two weeks every year just eats the miles up great for touring a true muscle bike in my humble opinion

By *addySarahCouple  over a year ago

Dorset

"Love my GSX1400, great for touring, comfortable when doing the miles, almost indestructible as I've come of it and apart from a few minor scratches just broke the knob of the clutch lever, accidentally put diesel in it and rode it for a few miles spluttering and backfiring thought id done major damage but after a flush through it was perfectly ok!

I'd just decided not to get one, too! Is 30mpg about right would you say?"

I would say it does a little better than but depends on how hard you ride it

By *andK78Couple  over a year ago

Newport

I hate the look of the Mt09, looks like a part bin from Star Wars..... But what a hoot to ride, that triple is so nice.

Durham

From folk I have spoken to GSX1400 is bullet proof like previous poster said, but folk who have the Honda CB1300, which is Honda's equivalent, seem to have the better MPG and its bullet proof to. One mate had a GSX1400 and loved it, then got the Honda CB1300 and said it was a far better bike.

By *aughty tradie 49Man  over a year ago

Chatham

Still regret it trading my gsx1400 great bike

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Xjr 1300 what you want grate 2 up with all the kit on lots of fun one up. Comfortable to ride all day and if you won’t good mpg get a 500 . I have to much fun on the bike to worry about what it’s doing the the gallon

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Keep the VFR

By *andm_69Couple  over a year ago

Stevenage

"Xjr 1300 what you want grate 2 up with all the kit on lots of fun one up. Comfortable to ride all day and if you won’t good mpg get a 500 . I have to much fun on the bike to worry about what it’s doing the the gallon "

Totally agree with this

By *ilfandme206Couple  over a year ago

North Kerry

I would keep the vfr. I am just back from a 2600 mile trip around the Mosel valley and Black Forest, it never missed a beat. I am 6’4” and with the full set of luggage I just needed to tweak the suspension a little to make it comfortable again. The other advantage is they stand out from the abundance of GS’s

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

I had a VFR in 1992 the first single arm, great bike and I even made money on it.

But here's one nobody's mentioned and it's a bit of a Marmite bike !!!

BMW K1300R, quickest naked bike and you can ride it off the edge of the tyres. When you ride it you won't give a toss about consumption .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm after a vfr. Maybe a deal to be done, age, mileage, history etc please. J

» Add a new message to this topic