FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Age to Milage

Age to Milage

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tephTV67 OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Bit of advice over a couple of bikes I’m looking at, both Triumph Sprints one 2007 with 45k on the clock, the other 2005 with only 28k on the clock. It’s only £100 that separates the newer model to the later, so which do you think would be better in the long run, especially when selling on ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

Have they both got service records?

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

Look for another that's better than both of those,their out there.

One that suits pocket and mind x

Cheshire

"Have they both got service records?"

Nothing on the descriptions but it’s a good question to ask when I call

Cheshire

"Look for another that's better than both of those,their out there.

One that suits pocket and mind x"

Looking to tour so need luggage as well, both of these are local and have what I need, potentially a couple of more bikes in mind.

Not in a great rush but will need soon.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not familiar with the model but were there many changes between those years?

Lower mileage is always easier to sell regardless of the year so for that reason plus engine wear I'd go with the lower mileage. I bought my Thunderace last September and paid a lot from a dealer. It's a '96 and immaculate but only 11,000 miles.

Best real advice is no matter how much the bike in front of you is screaming "buy me!!!!" Remember there's 1000's out there and that low mileage only ridden on sunny Sundays bike is worth waiting for.

Cheshire

I’ve actually got Triumph Leathers both jacket and trousers with their logo all over them, look stupid wearing them riding a Honda

Before anyone says anything, I’m not looking for a bike that matches the leathers

I do like triples and fancy another

Cheshire

"I'm not familiar with the model but were there many changes between those years?

Lower mileage is always easier to sell regardless of the year so for that reason plus engine wear I'd go with the lower mileage. I bought my Thunderace last September and paid a lot from a dealer. It's a '96 and immaculate but only 11,000 miles.

Best real advice is no matter how much the bike in front of you is screaming "buy me!!!!" Remember there's 1000's out there and that low mileage only ridden on sunny Sundays bike is worth waiting for. "

Thanks confirming what I was thinking

Your most welcome angel, be patient and good luck

By *eauville69Man  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Go see both and what ever feels comfortable to ride, it's no use buying a bike your not comfortable with.

By *andK78Couple  over a year ago

Newport

Mileage and history is key. Some early triples were known for bottom ends going.

By *damantMan  over a year ago

High Crompton

Have they had the reg/rec replaced?

Known fault with thus bike, can take the alternator with it.

I have a 2009 version, love it.

The headlights are shit though.

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

"I'm not familiar with the model but were there many changes between those years?

Best real advice is no matter how much the bike in front of you is screaming "buy me!!!!" Remember there's 1000's out there and that low mileage only ridden on sunny Sundays bike is worth waiting for. "

Mechanically yes, but be aware the rubber seals degrade over time and that can lead to all sorts of issues, brakes, forks, wheel bearings and if it's carbs the diaphragms.

Cheshire

"Have they had the reg/rec replaced?

Known fault with thus bike, can take the alternator with it.

I have a 2009 version, love it.

The headlights are shit though."

It's with a dealer, I've had Triumphs in the past so was aware of the problem and the lights, totally agree

But I love the engine, so very tempted

I would honestly ask about the service history, when was the tyre, chain, sprocket and filters changed. Has it had work done, has it been thrown up the road.

I would look at the condition of both.. engine knocks, muckyness in oil, any white smoke.. you can have a bike that is mint with high miles or a bike with low miles that has been treated like shite lol.

Miss A.

Cheshire

Thanks for all of the advice, picking up a FJR1300 on Friday, so back on 2 wheels again, plenty of service history from an IAD rider, so I know the bike would've been well looked after

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

Thank fuck you didn't buy the Triumph... You had lots of good advice, thunderace guy was spot on... Fantastic bike BTW even today I would not hesitate to buy a thunderace. Fireblade couple was spot on. The sprint is a poor choice regardless of service history and brand loyalty.

An FJR.. Bloody good choice

From a Blackbird owner of 14 years.

Cheshire

"Thank fuck you didn't buy the Triumph... You had lots of good advice, thunderace guy was spot on... Fantastic bike BTW even today I would not hesitate to buy a thunderace. Fireblade couple was spot on. The sprint is a poor choice regardless of service history and brand loyalty.

An FJR.. Bloody good choice

From a Blackbird owner of 14 years. "

Absolutely agree, I was always 50/50 on the Triumph. Looking forward to picking up the bike tomorrow

» Add a new message to this topic