FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Motorcross for the over 40s

Motorcross for the over 40s

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entralscotscpl7 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

Well I had my first day out yesterday on a track and I'm in absolute agony.

Is it time to call it a day????

Anyone else ride offroad. What's your opinions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I got to 46 then the Monday morning aches stopped me

Falkirk

42 now and feeling the pain.

My youngest son has just started to do it so maybe time to concentrate on him.

Buy a Landrover. Only joking, I feel the pain after an afternoon out on my MT350.

Falkirk

Oh how you finding it. Before I left the army we moved to XR 400s when we went to 16AA.

They had phased out the MT350.

We had about 40 of the XRs and 20 MT.

Only had six guys in battalion with bike licences so they never got used.

They moved to Honda TRX quads after I left.

Yeah I used to race. Took me until the weds before I could walk properly again. Try enduro or just green Laneing

"Yeah I used to race. Took me until the weds before I could walk properly again. Try enduro or just green Laneing"
or get a full suspension mountain bike or e bike

Falkirk

I'm lucky where we are as the track has a enduro circuit that runs around the perimeter of the field and through the woods.

It's a long day as well as I'm there from around 8am till it gets dark.

By *ree-dom69Man  over a year ago

park gate

50+ ride Mx hare and hounds and enduro

More time in the gym lads and stretching plenty of stretching oh and if doing H&M salt tablets

park gate

"50+ ride Mx hare and hounds and enduro

More time in the gym lads and stretching plenty of stretching oh and if doing H&M salt tablets "

H@h that was

"Oh how you finding it. Before I left the army we moved to XR 400s when we went to 16AA.

They had phased out the MT350.

We had about 40 of the XRs and 20 MT.

Only had six guys in battalion with bike licences so they never got used.

They moved to Honda TRX quads after I left.

"

It’s a heavy bike and I need to get fitter. It’s basic, fun and different and when I drop it it generally doesn’t really suffer.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

I’m restoring a CR250 & CR500 red rocket for someone. The 250 is nuts, there’s no way I’m even testing the 500 at my age! Not even down our lane.

It just cackles evilness!! & I hurt enough already!!

S

Falkirk

I have a last of the run CR 500 AF"s. It was an import from the states.

Its does run however the last time I took it to bits the barrel is scored due to the last owner fitting the rings incorrectly.

Getting genuine CR 500 parts is a nightmare in the UK. There is a company in OZ that does a billet barrel and crank case but it costs about the 4 grand.

I have 2 of the 250's a 90 steel frame and a 2000 alloy frame.

For me the steel frame is better as it kind of flexes slightly unlike the alloy frame which can ping you off if you bottom out.

Only bikes that comes close is the Maico 490 with the air cooled motor.

"I have a last of the run CR 500 AF"s. It was an import from the states.

Its does run however the last time I took it to bits the barrel is scored due to the last owner fitting the rings incorrectly.

Getting genuine CR 500 parts is a nightmare in the UK. There is a company in OZ that does a billet barrel and crank case but it costs about the 4 grand.

For me the steel frame is better as it kind of flexes slightly unlike the alloy frame which can ping you off if you bottom out.

Only bikes that comes close is the Maico 490 with the air cooled motor. "

Why don’t you just get the barrel replated?

Falkirk

Why don’t you just get the barrel replated? "

I could but the cracking on the web will prevent the nicasil plating adhering to the surface.

Heat soak could cause the web to split under the plating putting large chunk of plating in the cylinder.

Sleeving again messes with the thermal properties of cylinder.

As I say it still runs but wouldn't want to race it.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Only bikes that comes close is the Maico 490 with the air cooled motor. "

These are both pre 90 Steelies & parts for the 500 are erm a pain in the proverbial..

Good luck with your barrel when you do eventually need to get it worked.

S

By *irebrand 1263Man  over a year ago

near you

Im 46 & still spinning the laps on a yz250f.not as quick now but still enjoy it.

Why don’t you just get the barrel replated?

I could but the cracking on the web will prevent the nicasil plating adhering to the surface.

Heat soak could cause the web to split under the plating putting large chunk of plating in the cylinder.

Sleeving again messes with the thermal properties of cylinder.

As I say it still runs but wouldn't want to race it.

"

Langcourt can repair the crack and replate, they do it all the time, I’ve raced bikes that have had this done no problem, I’ve also ridden bikes that have had liners put in with no problems.

Falkirk

Our company uses Aptec for our bore and tubing coatings so would use them and have it processed through with our own stuff.

We can brush plate however the results can be inconsistent.

I won't ever race it properly if I do decide to fix it.

By *oopaandchampersCouple  over a year ago

St Johns

Amazing.... early 80's.. a mate of mine had a 500 red rocket...more low down grunt than my 580 CCM cleaning the air filter was his only chore..my CCM needed major surgery every 2 nd meeting.

That is good going doing motocross into 40's-50's respect lads. I had a tangle with a Superstocker at the UGP so it's nakeds and sports tourers for me these days.

"Well I had my first day out yesterday on a track and I'm in absolute agony.

Anyone else ride offroad. What's your opinions?"

Hell no! I did my first race at 40, train and train again!! Short bursts, set the bike up so it’s soft and mailable, change the gearing if you fancy a lazier ride

Where did you go? I’m looking for tracks nr Peterborough if anyone has any suggestions

park gate

Hell no! I did my first race at 40, train and train again!! Short bursts, set the bike up so it’s soft and mailable, change the gearing if you fancy a lazier ride

Where did you go? I’m looking for tracks nr Peterborough if anyone has any suggestions "

Also try a 125 2 stroke or 250 4 as I found I now go quicker on the smaller bikes as i do 250/450s Well especially at end of races when I’m getting tired

You don’t worry on the smaller bikes that it’s going to try to kill you

Wise words Freedom, I was sad to see my 450MX go, but I went quicker and on 250 4t, but I kept it big bore for enduros. It does help having a few in the garage, gives me options lol

CR500!!! Insane piece of kit, always going up in price, restore it and put in on a mantle piece and watch the value rise.

Where did you go? I’m looking for tracks nr Peterborough if anyone has any suggestions "

Isn’t mildenhall Mx track up that direction?

Guess where I’ll be going soon, got a new 250sxf I’ve not ridden yet lol

Thanks

By *otty1Man  over a year ago

neath

I'm still riding enduro and training hard for it in the gym, and it's looking like I'll be doing weston this year

"I'm still riding enduro and training hard for it in the gym, and it's looking like I'll be doing weston this year"

After doing Skegness last time, I’m not doing another sand race lol have you raced that one before?

By *otty1Man  over a year ago

neath

Not done western b4 but have good knowledge of sand riding

Falkirk

Just a wee update, I had a go of Yamaha YZ125 yesterday and it was like throwing about an anorexic midget.

Now I'm a Honda fanboy but for such a small capacity two stroke it was able to haul my fat carcass around no problem. Plenty grunt and I could keep it on the pipe longer. Not great when it came to the straights but awesome through the corners.

Seriously considering a Yam. Was amazed to be honest.

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

"Just a wee update, I had a go of Yamaha YZ125 yesterday and it was like throwing about an anorexic midget.

Now I'm a Honda fanboy but for such a small capacity two stroke it was able to haul my fat carcass around no problem. Plenty grunt and I could keep it on the pipe longer. Not great when it came to the straights but awesome through the corners.

Seriously considering a Yam. Was amazed to be honest. "

The yamahas are awesome bits of kit. I keep looking at Yamaha IT250 and IT465’s on e bay ( they are basically YZ’s with lights ) I will get one maybe when I get tax back in April

Falkirk

"Just a wee update, I had a go of Yamaha YZ125 yesterday and it was like throwing about an anorexic midget.

The yamahas are awesome bits of kit. I keep looking at Yamaha IT250 and IT465’s on e bay ( they are basically YZ’s with lights ) I will get one maybe when I get tax back in April "

Might be tempted myself. However my son is old enough to start going so might be forced to get him a bike. Depends on what the long haired general says lol

"

Might be tempted myself. However my son is old enough to start going so might be forced to get him a bike. Depends on what the long haired general says lol"

Simply prepare a phenomenal apology, the sort that would win an Oscar! The kind that would win the hearts and minds of woman globally. Then go shopping, safe in the knowledge; you’ve got this covered.

If it goes wrong, leave me out of it

Falkirk

"

Might be tempted myself. However my son is old enough to start going so might be forced to get him a bike. Depends on what the long haired general says lol

Simply prepare a phenomenal apology, the sort that would win an Oscar! The kind that would win the hearts and minds of woman globally. Then go shopping, safe in the knowledge; you’ve got this covered.

If it goes wrong, leave me out of it "

You've done this before........

park gate

The yamahas are awesome bits of kit. I keep looking at Yamaha IT250 and IT465’s on e bay ( they are basically YZ’s with lights ) I will get one maybe when I get tax back in April "

You’d be racing them in the classics stopped making Yamaha IT,s years ago

Great bikes though but the rad at the top of the forks wasn’t a great idea

"

If it goes wrong, leave me out of it

You've done this before........"

Quite possibly maybe

Pontefract

The yamahas are awesome bits of kit. I keep looking at Yamaha IT250 and IT465’s on e bay ( they are basically YZ’s with lights ) I will get one maybe when I get tax back in April

Great bikes though but the rad at the top of the forks wasn’t a great idea "

I wouldn’t be racing an IT if I got one, it costs me more than enough to race my Triumph Daytona 675

Falkirk

I wouldn’t be racing an IT if I got one, it costs me more than enough to race my Triumph Daytona 675 "

With Cadwell next door the temptation is unbelievable. As you say I've raced MX and I was on a budget. My mate races in the super twins and he is easily into about £300 a race by the time you factor everything into it excluding breakdowns or failures on the day.

The old saying goes "if it's got tits or tyres it will cost you money".

Pontefract

I wouldn’t be racing an IT if I got one, it costs me more than enough to race my Triumph Daytona 675

With Cadwell next door the temptation is unbelievable. As you say I've raced MX and I was on a budget. My mate races in the super twins and he is easily into about £300 a race by the time you factor everything into it excluding breakdowns or failures on the day.

"

For me it’s usually £150 for the test day

£250 for the race weekend

£320 for a set of tyres

Then there’s fuel, getting to track, day off work on the Friday so it’s definitely not cheap. Cadwell is my favourite track though and booked in for a trackday there next month

Falkirk

£320 for a set of tyres

Then there’s fuel, getting to track, day off work on the Friday so it’s definitely not cheap. Cadwell is my favourite track though and booked in for a trackday there next month "

Fairley depletes the bank balance.

Best thing about the 2 stroke mx bikes are they are incredibly simple and can be fixed with a simple set of hand tools.

Pontefract

£320 for a set of tyres

Then there’s fuel, getting to track, day off work on the Friday so it’s definitely not cheap. Cadwell is my favourite track though and booked in for a trackday there next month

Fairley depletes the bank balance.

Best thing about the 2 stroke mx bikes are they are incredibly simple and can be fixed with a simple set of hand tools.

"

Yeah just the setting up that’s the pain

I have a couple of two strokes. A Honda CR85R with supermoto wheels. And a 1989 Yamaha Rd350ypvs with Suzuki rgv250 front and back ends

» Add a new message to this topic