FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Bought a camper for post covid

Bought a camper for post covid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all, iv bought myself a camper to use after covid. Such a long time stuck at home drove me to it....just want some freedom

Iv bought a 2001 fiat ducato coach built camper. Have never stayed in a camper before, but have done a fair bit of camping in a tent.

Looking for advice on what kit ill need, anything to prep on the van before my first trip etc.

Iv had a good look on youtube but its mostly american videos...so if you have any recommendations for videos to check out there, that would also be great.

Stay safe xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Take the opportunity to give the van a good service. Unless they have been replaced, rubber hoses etc will be perished. Replace the tyres if they are over 6 years old as campers are heavy - consider getting CP rated tyres.

Check all the camper systems for operation and safety. Check for damp in the van. Check the leisure battery works.

If you have been tent camping you may have most of the stuff you need. Don't carry too much.

You need a gas bottle to fit the van, some means of filling the fresh water tank (hose or can) some means of emptying the waste if you can't drive over a drain, possibly a mains lead, possibly table and chairs for outside.

Otherwise it is just your food, crockery, clothing and bedding.

And, just enjoy yourself

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

You just need the essentials with you , don’t overpack it with stuff you don’t need

"Take the opportunity to give the van a good service. Unless they have been replaced, rubber hoses etc will be perished. Replace the tyres if they are over 6 years old as campers are heavy - consider getting CP rated tyres.

Check all the camper systems for operation and safety. Check for damp in the van. Check the leisure battery works.

If you have been tent camping you may have most of the stuff you need. Don't carry too much.

You need a gas bottle to fit the van, some means of filling the fresh water tank (hose or can) some means of emptying the waste if you can't drive over a drain, possibly a mains lead, possibly table and chairs for outside.

Otherwise it is just your food, crockery, clothing and bedding.

And, just enjoy yourself "

Great thanks! Didnt think of the tyres..just had a quick look and they seem to have a few 'cracks' in them..so will definitely change those!

By *opline7Man  over a year ago

Cardiff

Have an oil change if one has not been done in the last 6 months,get some redex diesel injecter cleaner but it from Asda much cheaper.also use sterilising tabletsrun them through your water sytem taps etc...

"Have an oil change if one has not been done in the last 6 months,get some redex diesel injecter cleaner but it from Asda much cheaper.also use sterilising tabletsrun them through your water sytem taps etc..."

Does the redline stuff go in the diesel tank?

By *yvanwy black wild childTV/TS  over a year ago

Northwich

DVD player coffee and tea a sleeping bag for those colder nights then just your wardrobe and make up that's all I ever need x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i know it seams obvious but check you have a spare and a jack and a wheel nut spanner i know several people who didnt find out till they had a puncture also try getting the spare wheel out has sometimes it has been there for years and everything has seized up

By *eatherstclareTV/TS  over a year ago

Frome

A Fiat Ducato, the stalwart of coachbuilt campers! Excellent choice!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is levelling wedges. Plastic (usually) wedges that you drive onto to level up the van. Put them under the fronts or backs or front and back on one side depending which way the slope is. Fiamma ones are good. I used to have a little spirit level that I would put on the dashboard so I could tell how far to drive up them (until you go too far and drive over the end and have to start again!)

"A Fiat Ducato, the stalwart of coachbuilt campers! Excellent choice!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is levelling wedges. Plastic (usually) wedges that you drive onto to level up the van. Put them under the fronts or backs or front and back on one side depending which way the slope is. Fiamma ones are good. I used to have a little spirit level that I would put on the dashboard so I could tell how far to drive up them (until you go too far and drive over the end and have to start again!)"

You say that but after going on a little drive yesterday evening...i noticed it was difficult going from 3rd to 2nd its booked into a garage to have a service etc.

Iv ordered some blocks. The only thing i didnt really think of is the lack of space to store that type of thing. Wish it had a 'garage' on it really.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"i know it seams obvious but check you have a spare and a jack and a wheel nut spanner i know several people who didnt find out till they had a puncture also try getting the spare wheel out has sometimes it has been there for years and everything has seized up "

Before your maiden voyage, take the wheel nuts off, ONE AT A TIME, ( you don’t need to Jack the van up to do it this way) lightly grease the thread, replace the wheel nut and tighten it up applying the correct torque. Having a puncture on a trip and finding out the wheel nuts are seized solid will spoil your day.

» Add a new message to this topic