FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Chat room feedback/discussion > Scotland

Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok no doubt this post will get deleted but it’s getting posted anyway.

I was banned from chat last night for 48 hours because I was "apparently" getting around a ban on another account.

My husband had earlier got banned for 4 hours. Ok he got banned for apparently being "abusive towards another member". He was actually talking to me in Scottish Gaelic in the Scottish Chat room. It was one message to which I replied. It wasn't offensive or abusive and only appeared to upset one person. Probably because "she" didn't understand.

Five minutes later after his ban I was sitting and chatting to another member quite innocently about where we used to live next thing I know I get a 48 hour ban.

Obviously I couldn't question this with the moderators. So I messaged admin who read it this morning and then blocked me!

Now I cannot do a thing... Seems very unfair to me.

Scottish Gaelic is my husband’s native tongue and seems appropriate to use in a Scottish Chat room.

I set up this account to be able to go into chat at the same time as my husband, and it is quite clearly stated on my profile that it is the only reason the profile was set up.

Now my husband’s 4 hour timeout is up and he went back into chat this morning and was promptly banned again for "apparently getting around a ban on another account".

Now when my 48 hour ban is up on Monday night at 10pm does this mean if I go into chat I will get banned yet again as my husband’s ban does not expire until Tuesday morning and then if my husband should go in before my ban expires ( to the minute) will he get another ban?

This is just going around in circles and I have absolutely no idea where I stand anymore and there is not anything I can do or anyone I can speak to. This is why I have resorted to posting in the forums.

Whilst I am on here... please can someone tell me where in the chat room rules it says you need to be speak English "all the time". Please bear in mind it was one comment and one comment only. It was a bit of light hearted fun from my husband and I.

To be clear the comment was:

Bidh gaol agam ort gu siorraidh

Which simply means “I will love you forever"

Now I'm not unreasonable I understand the "point" of speaking in a foreign language. But to Scotland... Gaelic is not foreign... In fact if anything is. England is.

I doubt anyone will back me on this as the forums appear to be what can only be described as "clicky" and with the majority not wanting to speak their own minds through fear of a ban.

I however wanted to post this message to show the unfairness that occurs in the chat rooms.

This can only be rectified by educating Moderators to not abuse their powers but to show more understanding about what they are "supposed" to be doing. Bearing in mind that banning someone for speaking "their native tongue" whether they like it or not IS a form of racism.

This site is supposed to be fun and racism should have no place in it.

There are loads of people who speak in "text talk" and "code" which is deliberately written so as to confuse other members and that only the intended recipient can understand. What is the difference? Our message was one line and NO ONE found it offensive.. NO ONE made a comment about it... oh sorry just one person. This person was obviously known by the Moderators at that time and this person constantly banged on and on about it... almost as you put “trying to cause a scene" now this to myself is disruption yet "this person" didn't get told to stop talking like in fact the Moderators joined in with them... hardly impartial is it? Now "this person" continued to make comments about it after my husband was banned. Surely this is not acceptable either and it is in your "Chat room rules" unlike "Only speaking in English". So in fact the only person breaking rules at this time was “the person" who made the scene.

Now since the banning of my husband for talking in Gaelic and so called abusing another member for simply asking why he couldn't speak his native tongue, we have received numerous messages of support from other users from the Scottish Chat room who think it’s disgusting that you cannot speak in Scottish Gaelic in a Scottish Chat room. These particular people never said anything in the chat room probably through fear of banning. Sorry one particular user did mention something and was told “if you don't like take it up with admin"... yet again this is pointless I guess as admin don’t seem to do anything.

However since my husband’s ban he messaged Admin and mentioned that it wasn’t written in the rules "you must speak in the English Language". The response he received was “Good spot we'll add to the site rules at the next update. It's hard for the mods to moderate if it's not in English, until we have moderators in all languages."

This response shows that admission that admin see a problem and those errors were made. So why not admit banning us was wrong too??????

There are many questions asked in this post and it would be nice to receive responses to them all. However I expect that the only response I will get will have no relation to what I have written and I doubt that anyone at all will back me up.

Pity.

I love this site and the fun that can be had on here, including the chat rooms, now I am so despondent I am thinking of leaving for good... I expect however that this decision will be taken out of my hands.

Anyway to all the people who supported us with the issue of speaking Gaelic... thank you.

To all the people we have had fun with on cam ………..thank you.

To all the people who have laughed and messaged.... thank you.

To all the people who we have met…..thank you... see you soon

To all my particular friends... thank you.

To all Scottish Chat room users who speak the native tongue .... Good on you for keeping an aged old tradition going.

To all the moderators….. please be more fair.

To admin... please listen to the people of this site and not only the Moderators.

And last but by no means least.

To Scotland and all the Scottish members of this site "soraidh leat"

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

what kind of site is this, you cant speak scots in a scottish chat room. sort it out fab, NOW. dont be numpties, come on now reinstate them, answer their questions(the least you can do) and most importantly APOLIGISE!!!!!!!!

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

We're an equal opportunity site and don't condone racism but it's a "bit" hard for the mods to moderate other languages when we're an english-language site in the main and our mods primarily speak english.

When we have enough mods to cover other languages 24/7 then we'll review this.

We should make it clearer in the rooms and we should add to the rules page so we'll take this on board and appreciate the feedback

As we always say, the mods are all volunteers trying to keep the site safe; it's a thankless job and not all decisions are clear cut. For the most part they get it right, when they don't we try to learn from it so we appreciate the feedback.

Any feedback privately, thanks.

Admin x