FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Chat room feedback/discussion > New Chat User

New Chat User

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

1) Before signing up to the Chat system as a new user, I was told my a fab 'friend' that it's possible to see other people's cam shows on-line without having to purchase one's own cam system. This seemed logical to my simple mind as one's own cam would only surely be needed for other fab people to see me on cam. However, having signed up on a trial basis as a Gold star Chat user, I find I cannot get any cam shows to be displayed. So far, the only main benefits are for me to be able to see who has been looking at my profile and to view pics in enlarged form. Am I missing something or is it essential for me to purchase a cam? I may do so later but how essential is this to be able to view the cams of others?

2) Also, what is the difference between 'Active cam' and 'Docked cam'? I can't spot any clear definitions in the Chat FAQs' section.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Derek

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"1) Before signing up to the Chat system as a new user, I was told my a fab 'friend' that it's possible to see other people's cam shows on-line without having to purchase one's own cam system. This seemed logical to my simple mind as one's own cam would only surely be needed for other fab people to see me on cam. However, having signed up on a trial basis as a Gold star Chat user, I find I cannot get any cam shows to be displayed. So far, the only main benefits are for me to be able to see who has been looking at my profile and to view pics in enlarged form. Am I missing something or is it essential for me to purchase a cam? I may do so later but how essential is this to be able to view the cams of others?

2) Also, what is the difference between 'Active cam' and 'Docked cam'? I can't spot any clear definitions in the Chat FAQs' section.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Derek"

You don't need a cam to view other cams. Have you got the latest java download? Try that first

Active cams are cams which are switched on. Docked cams are active cams you have in your dock at the bottom of the page to allow you to view more than 1 cam at a time

Very many thanks for your comments. I have checked my Java version and although I'm supposed to get automatic updates, I found I only had Java SE 6 Upgrade 26 on my PC. I have now replaced this with Java SE 6 Upgrade 29 which seems to be the latest fully tested version (Java 7, although available, still seems to be under test). However, this upgrade has made no difference. On clicking on anyone's cam icon in Chat, I still end up just with a blank cam box..!? Not sure what to try next. I use a Windows XP system and access fab through Google Chrome. It's late now so I'm turning in to sleep on the problem. Does anyone else have any ideas please?

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

Cams doesn't use java, it uses flash for cams, so java doesn't make any difference.

Check you have the latest version of adobe flash and/or reinstall

Try another browser e.g. IE/firefox

Check you have port 1935 open:

http://www.therealtimeweb.com/index.cfm/2004/10/2/fms-port-tester

Admin x

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"Cams doesn't use java, it uses flash for cams, so java doesn't make any difference.

Check you have the latest version of adobe flash and/or reinstall

Try another browser e.g. IE/firefox

Check you have port 1935 open:

http://www.therealtimeweb.com/index.cfm/2004/10/2/fms-port-tester

Admin x"

That's the one I meant .... Flash! sorry

Admin: Thanks for your response. In Google Chrome, I have run the FMS tester link you supplied and perhaps predictably, for both RTMP and RMTPT (Tunneling) protocols, it has thrown up 'Failed' for ports: Default (whichever one that is), 80, 443 &, the one you highlighted, 1935. However, at present I'm not sure how I go about unblocking such blocked ports - although it looks as though a lot of reading up of Help available via the Adobe website may help if I don't fade out beforehand...!!

I don't at present have Firefox on my PC but I do have Internet Explorer (IE). I have tried running the same FMS Port Tester link in IE and, this time, it registers 'Success' for all the failed ports I've highlighted above when in Google Chrome. However, if I go into the Fab website while staying in the IE browser, while I can get into the website easily enough, I can't get into Chat - it hangs up for ever trying to get in but never succeeds. It was because moving around websites in IE was becoming so slow, I moved over to Google Chrome several months.

So, at the present time, I still can't see any cam displays. I'll continue with trying to work out how to unblock Adobe Flash ports when in Google Chrome. Meanwhile, if you or anyone have any further comments, they would be very welcome.

As a follow on from my previous comments, I have now downloaded Firebox on to my PC and tried running the FMS port tester advised by Admin. I find that, as with Google Chrome, I also get port failures reported for the default port and ports 80, 443 & 1935 - and so, I can't get access to any Fab cams in Firefox either. So, whichever of these browsers I use for accessing Fab, I still have to work out how to unblock these ports - at present, I have no idea - although, as already mentioned, achieving successes when testing the ports in Internet Explorer, hasn't even allowed me to access Chat, let alone cams. I'm worn out now - I'll continue investigations tomorrow!!

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

just a quick reply,,sometimes adobe doesnt run properly in mozilla or google,should work in ie8 doh

Thanks for everyone's observations / comments on my Chat cam access problems. I have now managed to get cam access via Firefox browser, once I realised that I didn't have the most up-to-date Adobe Flash Player version linked to it. So, at least on Firefox, I can now make full use of my Site Supporters membership!!

» Add a new message to this topic