FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Club Discussion > drink theft at AbFabs

drink theft at AbFabs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andS66 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Derby

We went to AbFabs last night and got our bottle of JD d*unk by others whilst we were elsewhere in the club.... the staff said it's happening more and more now- has anyone else had this problem there?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lackCherryCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

It doesn't surprise me having 2-3 fridges on the "honour" system is incredibly short sighted.

Almost everywhere else that allows bring your own has it done behind an organised bar with staff serving out the drinks, not sure why AB Fabs still cant manage this.

Derby

Especially given their new pricing structure. Minimum 150 couples at £50.... £7500 for an evening, thank you very much...

By *enithWoman  over a year ago

closer than you think

Went to another club last night with friends ...... £20 per couple plus £1 per couple for bar cover

Had brilliant night with no fear of drink being taken

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

We had someone break the seal on our unopened bottle of wine and take 1/3 of the bottle despite the fact our names were on it ... and also had 2 cartons of wine taken.

This is definitely something they need to address because there are some unscrupulous scumbags out there who seem to have no qualms whatsoever about taking drinks they haven't paid for.

They'd better hope I don't catch them at it that's all I can say!

By *eeriseWoman  over a year ago

Manchester and that's all you need to know

"We had someone break the seal on our unopened bottle of wine and take 1/3 of the bottle despite the fact our names were on it ... and also had 2 cartons of wine taken.

This is definitely something they need to address because there are some unscrupulous scumbags out there who seem to have no qualms whatsoever about taking drinks they haven't paid for.

They'd better hope I don't catch them at it that's all I can say! "

Some people are something else....Say you had medication in the drink or something

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just fill a wine bottle with liquid laxative and wait by the toilet door, having first removed all the loo roll

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Especially given their new pricing structure. Minimum 150 couples at £50.... £7500 for an evening, thank you very much..."

Now, now. "Party contributions only just cover our costs!" (from their website).

By *ammyDodgaMan  over a year ago

Nottingham/and everywhere my location says i am ;)

"Just fill a wine bottle with liquid laxative and wait by the toilet door, having first removed all the loo roll

"

Hahahahahahaha..I just spat my brew out reading this.. Love it

AbFabs is about money, first, last and middle. They no longer have a dress code, d*unks (on other peoples drinks?) roam the corridors and the only staff seem to spend all night on the door.

It will never change, why bother protesting? Make complaints to the staff and you simply get brushed aside!

Either vote with your feet and go elsewhere (as many people seem to have done) or just accept that shit happens.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Keep your booze in the locker I guess.

What locker......this is AbFabs we are talking about.......no lockers.

Fareham

"AbFabs is about money, first, last and middle. They no longer have a dress code, d*unks (on other peoples drinks?) roam the corridors and the only staff seem to spend all night on the door.

It will never change, why bother protesting? Make complaints to the staff and you simply get brushed aside!

Either vote with your feet and go elsewhere (as many people seem to have done) or just accept that shit happens. "

Of course it's about money - it's a business and they need to make a profit. I don't have a problem with that.

I haven't witnessed a lot of d*unkenness although I do accept the standard of dress seems to have dropped lately (most people make an effort though - it's just the minority who look like they could do with the services of Gok Wan).

I don't believe we just have to accept it nor do I believe they won't address it if sufficient numbers of people complain. As I said, it's a business and they won't want to lose droves of customers. I think EVERY incident should be reported along with a strenuous complaint.

Fareham

"What locker......this is AbFabs we are talking about.......no lockers."

Are you talking about the same AbFabs? There are LOADS of lockers!

We used to go quite frequently. The numbers have halved in the last year as the owner is quite happy to discuss. They have reached the point where they keep pushing harder and harder for the maximum revenue. Nothing wrong with that, I agree.......until it becomes the SOLE focus, which now seems to be the case. Have been at the desk when all sorts of complaints have been reported. The standard answer seems to be that they are not security staff and so have no means of helping. They put themselves forward as the best swingers venue in the country, but those days have long passed IMHO.

"What locker......this is AbFabs we are talking about.......no lockers.

Are you talking about the same AbFabs? There are LOADS of lockers!"

But no keys at night unless the small ones by the door and a bottle won't fit in them.

Really? And where would they be hidden?

Fareham

Really? And where would they be hidden?"

In the changing rooms rooms - the two large banks or bright red lockers - about 60 of them ... and around another 20+ in the area leading into the house. I'm surprised you've never seen them quite frankly. They're hard to miss.

In the changing rooms rooms - the two large banks or bright red lockers - about 60 of them ... and around another 20+ in the area leading into the house. I'm surprised you've never seen them quite frankly. They're hard to miss."

But as I have already said they don't have keys at night.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"We had someone break the seal on our unopened bottle of wine and take 1/3 of the bottle despite the fact our names were on it ... and also had 2 cartons of wine taken.

Some people are something else....Say you had medication in the drink or something "

Why would you put medication in wine???

You mean the cloths lockers in the bathhouse around 50 yards from the lounge and the wallet lockers by the entrance? You are joking, right?

Sorry......clothes

Fareham

In the changing rooms rooms - the two large banks or bright red lockers - about 60 of them ... and around another 20+ in the area leading into the house. I'm surprised you've never seen them quite frankly. They're hard to miss.

But as I have already said they don't have keys at night. "

I didn't realise that - we go on Monday nights and keys are provided then.

I didn't realise that - we go on Monday nights and keys are provided then."

That's because it runs straight from kestrals to abfabs. On Friday and sat night there is a break between so no keys.

Fareham

That's because it runs straight from kestrals to abfabs. On Friday and sat night there is a break between so no keys. "

That doesn't alter the fact that it's down to the management to sort this problem, which seems to be on the increase. And the only way they can be alerted to how much of a problem it's becoming is if everyone who has drinks stolen reports it. Also, maybe people should put suggestions for a solution in the black box in the tea room

That's because it runs straight from kestrals to abfabs. On Friday and sat night there is a break between so no keys. "

Am I being really thick - why on earth do they need to remove the keys?

That's because it runs straight from kestrals to abfabs. On Friday and sat night there is a break between so no keys.

"

From what I was told it was because they were losing so many keys but don't quote me on that.

Thefts have been reported.......see my earlier post regarding the staff response.

Thats what i was thinking

That doesn't alter the fact that it's down to the management to sort this problem, which seems to be on the increase. And the only way they can be alerted to how much of a problem it's becoming is if everyone who has drinks stolen reports it. Also, maybe people should put suggestions for a solution in the black box in the tea room "

Which is were I use to put my drinks

But in AbFabs (not Kestrals) the loung is miles away! Also the "missing" locker keys from last week can be used to open lockers next week............

Fareham

That doesn't alter the fact that it's down to the management to sort this problem, which seems to be on the increase. And the only way they can be alerted to how much of a problem it's becoming is if everyone who has drinks stolen reports it. Also, maybe people should put suggestions for a solution in the black box in the tea room

Which is were I use to put my drinks "

In the black box?

In the black box? "

noooo the fridge in there

[Removed by poster at 04/08/13 19:22:55]

You realise of course that AbFabs and Kestrals are NOT set up the same way and cannot be directly compared?

Fareham

In the black box?

noooo the fridge in there "

I was teasing ... I have to say that on BOTH occasions our drink was pilfered it was from the fridge in the tea hut. C'mon AbFabs management - sort it out!!

"You realise of course that AbFabs and Kestrals are NOT set up the same way and cannot be directly compared?"

How do you mean , I have been to both places seeing as how it's the same place

However it is the same management!

From what I was told it was because they were losing so many keys but don't quote me on that. "

I take it that a deposit system like they have at VA would be too complicated?

In the black box?

noooo the fridge in there

I was teasing ... I have to say that on BOTH occasions our drink was pilfered it was from the fridge in the tea hut. C'mon AbFabs management - sort it out!!"

Wow things must have got bad then

closer than you think

I was recently informed by a member of staff that the suggestion box wasn't emptied for months!!

From what I was told it was because they were losing so many keys but don't quote me on that.

I take it that a deposit system like they have at VA would be too complicated?

"

Dunno but makes sense to do that to me as well

"You realise of course that AbFabs and Kestrals are NOT set up the same way and cannot be directly compared?

How do you mean , I have been to both places seeing as how it's the same place "

The house is not open for "Kestrals" but it is and the lounge is used for AbFabs. Not quite the thing, in the middle of a conversation in the lounge to suddenly leave on a hike to get a drink from the tea room. But the drink gets pinched from ALL the fridges.......the point is that the management could not care less......why should they? You are so convinced that they will sort it out, you will keep paying. That is what they rely on.

closer than you think

But the answer we got about a staffed bar area ..... "We have to pay someone to look after it" !!

By *habsMan  over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

"You realise of course that AbFabs and Kestrals are NOT set up the same way and cannot be directly compared?

How do you mean , I have been to both places seeing as how it's the same place "

I think they mean on Kestrels days, or days that Kestrels runs straight into AbFabs (like Wednesdays) that keys are still obtainable. On Strictly AbFabs days (Fridays, Saturdays) where there Kestrels (if opened earlier in the day, closed by 8pm) then no keys for AbFabs? is that what is meant? I can't comment on Mondays.

Fareham

The house is not open for "Kestrals" but it is and the lounge is used for AbFabs. Not quite the thing, in the middle of a conversation in the lounge to suddenly leave on a hike to get a drink from the tea room. But the drink gets pinched from ALL the fridges.......the point is that the management could not care less......why should they? You are so convinced that they will sort it out, you will keep paying. That is what they rely on."

We'll keep paying because we have nowhere else to go

The house is not open for "Kestrals" but it is and the lounge is used for AbFabs. Not quite the thing, in the middle of a conversation in the lounge to suddenly leave on a hike to get a drink from the tea room. But the drink gets pinched from ALL the fridges.......the point is that the management could not care less......why should they? You are so convinced that they will sort it out, you will keep paying. That is what they rely on.

We'll keep paying because we have nowhere else to go "

There's loads of venues within the M25 area, just depends what you're into and what days are convenient.. that's the point of a club directory and people's choice to do what they want, when they want, with who they want but more importantly WHERE they want.

If you feel that is the case, then Ifeel a bit sorry for you, however to take the stance of defending the organisation in support of people being ripped off, seems a little short sighted!

Fareham

We'll keep paying because we have nowhere else to go

If you feel that is the case, then Ifeel a bit sorry for you, however to take the stance of defending the organisation in support of people being ripped off, seems a little short sighted!"

Where was I defending them?? I said people should complain and not take theft lightly which is what you're suggesting. And please - we don't need your pity so don't 'feel a bit sorry for us' - we're grown ups and make a conscious decision to go to AbFabs and Kestrels because we like the venue.

If they can sort this one niggling issue then we'd have very little to complain about.

no matter

"What locker......this is AbFabs we are talking about.......no lockers."

Really I cant imagine there not being lockers to put your clothes in .. But spose I wouldnt know as I have never been.

Does this mean you have to arrive dressed in sexy gear .hmmm

Really I cant imagine there not being lockers to put your clothes in .. But spose I wouldnt know as I have never been.

Does this mean you have to arrive dressed in sexy gear .hmmm "

Kestrels is naturist setting (towels). AbFabs is more disco/house party.. VERY non-naturist

Fareham

Does this mean you have to arrive dressed in sexy gear .hmmm "

Is this something that has changed? We've been on a Friday and Saturday before although we usually go on a Monday and haven't been on a Fri/Sat night for over a year. I'm pretty sure and we always had a locker back then. I know they take a deposit now when we go to Kestrels. Do the 80+ lockers really lie empty on weekend evenings?

no matter

Some people are something else....Say you had medication in the drink or something

Why would you put medication in wine???"

Giggles... rohipnol dont cha know !!

Glasgow

". ..........

- we're grown ups and make a conscious decision to go to AbFabs and Kestrels because we like the venue.

If they can sort this one niggling issue then we'd have very little to complain about."

If the venue permits thieves, even unwittingly, those thieves will find something else to steal.

Does this mean you have to arrivedressed in sexy gear .hmmm "

i was invited to a club last night that has no lockers or showers how on earth can people play at a club with no where to clean up

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

wouldn't something like this be solved if they just put stickers on peoples drinks with their names on it....

that is what my local club does.......

Fareham

". ..........

- we're grown ups and make a conscious decision to go to AbFabs and Kestrels because we like the venue.

If they can sort this one niggling issue then we'd have very little to complain about.

If the venue permits thieves, even unwittingly, those thieves will find something else to steal."

Sad isn't it? You'd like to think there was 'honour amongst swingers' ... sadly that isn't the case.

Giggles... rohipnol dont cha know !! "

Oh please don't joke! The scene has some weird and dodgy characters on it (stories of stolen mobiles, stolen laptops...) I'd hate to think it was only a matter of time before some twisted nutter put something in a girl's un-manned drink at a venue!

"wouldn't something like this be solved if they just put stickers on peoples drinks with their names on it....

that is what my local club does......."

Actually, they do - but as the fridges are easily accessible at anytime (so guests can freely get drinks "without waiting to be served" like most venues in the country) it also means your labelled drink is just as accessible as the next persons, it sadly means the venue assumes everyone there will be considerate enough to only consume what they brought and not anyone else's.

Fareham

"wouldn't something like this be solved if they just put stickers on peoples drinks with their names on it....

that is what my local club does......."

They provide stickers and pens Fabio ... our drinks were clearly marked. But the drinks are stored in several fridges on an 'honour system', assuming that people wouldn't be as scummy as to steal someone else's drink.

The last time we went, I put a names sticker on our wine and wrapped about 4 stickers around the neck in the hope that it would deter a 'quick opportunist'. Don't know if it worked but nobody nicked it this time

I must admit, even a few months ago Abfabs was very much on the to do list. We almost wnet a few weeks ago but the cost of membership and admission, combined with some less than flattering recent reviews including reports of fights put us off. This thread is the final nail in the coffin.

Despite the claim above, there are not plenty of clubs within the M25, so Abfabs has a huge population as a potential catchment, combined with a total lack of clubs in the South meaning it is the nearest club to people as far away as Southampton, reading this thread, and casting my mind back to a relatively recent thread about admission increases, can't help but suspect that there is a degree of complacency on the part of the owners. The thing is a bad reputation must surely be much harder to lose than a good one.

Fareham

Oh please don't joke! The scene has some weird and dodgy characters on it (stories of stolen mobiles, stolen laptops...) I'd hate to think it was only a matter of time before some twisted nutter put something in a girl's un-manned drink at a venue!"

It's quite shocking really Ahabs - do you remember when some scum-bag stole the savings of a child at a post-social gathering in the organiser's house? I think we were both there when it was discovered.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Actually, they do - but as the fridges are easily accessible at anytime (so guests can freely get drinks "without waiting to be served" like most venues in the country) it also means your labelled drink is just as accessible as the next persons, it sadly means the venue assumes everyone there will be considerate enough to only consume what they brought and not anyone else's."

right..... my local club has bar staff, so only they have access, maybe that is the next step.... how much more time would that take up waiting to be served... can't really be that long....

Actually, they do - but as the fridges are easily accessible at anytime (so guests can freely get drinks "without waiting to be served" like most venues in the country) it also means your labelled drink is just as accessible as the next persons, it sadly means the venue assumes everyone there will be considerate enough to only consume what they brought and not anyone else's.

right..... my local club has bar staff, so only they have access, maybe that is the next step.... how much more time would that take up waiting to be served... can't really be that long...."

Apparently (I've only read an earlier post on this thread so haven't got it from the horses mouth myself) it would entail employing an extra person? Have I got that right?

Glasgow

"..............

Oh please don't joke! The scene has some weird and dodgy characters on it (stories of stolen mobiles, stolen laptops...) I'd hate to think it was only a matter of time before some twisted nutter put something in a girl's un-manned drink at a venue!"

That's the worrying thing.

If there's no security to speak of, who's to know what's going to go on.

Spiked or stolen drinks, theft of wallets/ car keys etc.

Oh please don't joke! The scene has some weird and dodgy characters on it (stories of stolen mobiles, stolen laptops...) I'd hate to think it was only a matter of time before some twisted nutter put something in a girl's un-manned drink at a venue!

It's quite shocking really Ahabs - do you remember when some scum-bag stole the savings of a child at a post-social gathering in the organiser's house? I think we were both there when it was discovered."

OMG - that was quite sickening at the time, I just don;t understand how someone can go from

"Mental prep to head to a swinger social/party.. maybe meet some nice people,. maybe even get a shag"

to

"Nice (phone/watch/wallet/purse/laptop/charity kitty/(fill in the blanks) ... I hope no one notices until long after I've left"

I can't reconcile the two thought processes as coming from the same medula!

By *isa2hartWoman  over a year ago

twickenham

[Removed by poster at 04/08/13 20:48:21]

By *isa2hartWoman  over a year ago

twickenham

They have plenty of staff in the day,and at night couldn't they use the little bar they have? And move fridges over well just the one nr door way,or if keys are prob ,being pinched dumped etc I'd be happy to give £20 deposit and keep it in there,as long as I get it back!

closer than you think

right..... my local club has bar staff, so only they have access, maybe that is the next step.... how much more time would that take up waiting to be served... can't really be that long....

Apparently (I've only read an earlier post on this thread so haven't got it from the horses mouth myself) it would entail employing an extra person? Have I got that right?"

Ahabs myself and other friends have been told by staff and management that extra staff would be needed to man the bar area. Can't really see why as they could utilise the staff better that are there.

Abfabs was on my list of places to visit, but as a single female I would never leave my drink in a fridge like that, as someone said its far to easy yo be spiked. I'd like to think that it would never happen in a swing club, but I'm guessing that's naive of me, so I wouldn't risk it.

I'll take it off the list a d stick to where I know I think

By *hecat007Woman  over a year ago

Round the corner

puttin me off going to clubs now and was wanting to try a few ....hopefully there's sum that are run a lot better

" puttin me off going to clubs now and was wanting to try a few ....hopefully there's sum that are run a lot better "

I've been to a fair few and never had this sort of problem..... Don't let it out you off

By *hecat007Woman  over a year ago

Round the corner

" puttin me off going to clubs now and was wanting to try a few ....hopefully there's sum that are run a lot better

I've been to a fair few and never had this sort of problem..... Don't let it out you off"

.....phew that's ok then ..it does sound horrendous though this one

Fareham

" puttin me off going to clubs now and was wanting to try a few ....hopefully there's sum that are run a lot better

I've been to a fair few and never had this sort of problem..... Don't let it out you off.....phew that's ok then ..it does sound horrendous though this one "

It really isn't as horrendous as it's been made to sound. A few A-holes have nicked a few drinks. It's annoying but in the big scheme of things it's not exactly Armageddon.

It's more of a minor irritation but one that does need addressing.

The rest of the club is great.

I've been to a fair few and never had this sort of problem..... Don't let it out you off.....phew that's ok then ..it does sound horrendous though this one

It really isn't as horrendous as it's been made to sound. A few A-holes have nicked a few drinks. It's annoying but in the big scheme of things it's not exactly Armageddon.

It's more of a minor irritation but one that does need addressing.

The rest of the club is great. "

but its a tad inconvenient if you've prepared for a night out, dressed to the nine's, got a nice bottle of something for yourself.. kept it in the communal fridge (clearly marks with your name), go off to mingle, come back later for a drink..and some freeloader has "ooh, that looks nice" with it.

How many times do you brush it off your shoulder before it becomes unacceptable??

closer than you think

Agree it's a great club and yes the drink situation needs to be resolved quickly as its been going on for too long and the club will loose even more members

"Agree it's a great club and yes the drink situation needs to be resolved quickly as its been going on for too long and the club will loose even more members"

Lol, I'd say "Risk losing members", you wouldn't want them to take your post the wrong way. Yes, AbFabs was the first club I heard of when I started swinging, but I could not go as it was painted as 1) for the elite 2) only "in demand" single guys welcome.

While thankfully some of that has proven itself untrue over the years, I do agree management do need to take steps to protect their investment.

£50 per cpl per night ? And ppl pay this seriously

Im shocked that an established club like this thats not exactly a cheap night out does'nt deal with peoples drinks in a better way

id be pretty much pissed off too if my drink had been nicked

Fill a vodka bottle with white spirit. The thieves will only take it once....

By *hoenixcouplexxCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Hmmm. It's been a long time but I must admit we have been to Abfabs twice and twice people have helped themselves to our drink.

The first time we never said anything allowing for it being a one off and just down to one individual. The second time we figured it had to be someone else so if there's two odds are there's more than two so we have never been back.

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

Simple solution.

Don't drink anything other than the free soft drinks or water provided.

Makes the night cheaper and stops d*unken arseholes.

Works for us.

"Simple solution.

Works for us.

"

Same here only soft drinks

Bristol

Its interesting my original review (up in the clubs section) nearly 10 months or so ago highlighted what I thought were critical problems with the club.

Once you pass the front desk the "hosting" is non existent and oddly enough hosting makes a club night (unless your en mass go with pre arranged people).

The major flaw with AB fabs is there is no "bar" area this manifests itself firstly in the stealing drinks culture and also in the UK a good bar area is a real mingle area for us Brits when we go out, without that and the lack of hosting it makes it all feel just quite dis jointed there, the drink stealing is just the obvious manifestation of the underlying issue.

Its a shame as there are very few clubs who can match ab fabs for facilities, but so so many out do it on the minor (but important) stuff that I would rather go to a place with far less "facilities" and end up having a much better night as a result.

Fareham

"Simple solution.

Works for us.

"

One of us (the driver) only drinks soft drinks - the other enjoys a couple of glasses of wine (neither of us ever gets d*unk). Seems a shame that some inconsiderate, nasty thieves threaten to spoil that one small indulgence on a night out.

There MUST be a solution ... hang on, lockable wine bottles!

Dragons Den here I come!

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

I think your view may be very valid on Friday and Saturday nights, the busy party nights at Abs. Frankly on other nights the smaller numbers attending and the nature of those people I think the current arrangements work well.

Having tried a Friday Abs party we are unlikely to return as it was not for us, but regularly use the club on nights during the week.

Perhaps the management of the venue need to look at a different approach to Fri/Sat parties.

Been to hellfire, abfabs and a reg at chams. I much prefer chams and hellfire that have manned bars (still byob). Bars and barstaff provide a focal point and a much better way of connecting with other couples

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't been to AbFabs at the weekend for several months. The last time was a Friday and the vibe was odd. It still felt safe and I didn't hear of any thefts but the men seemed a little more desperate than usual.

I think the price hike has a bit to do with this as people feel even more of a misplaced entitlement.

I still enjoy Kestrels and happily share my strawberries and raspberries.

VA is my preferred choice for a weekend evening now.

"I haven't been to AbFabs at the weekend for several months. The last time was a Friday and the vibe was odd. It still felt safe and I didn't hear of any thefts but the men seemed a little more desperate than usual.

I think the price hike has a bit to do with this as people feel even more of a misplaced entitlement.

I still enjoy Kestrels and happily share my strawberries and raspberries.

VA is my preferred choice for a weekend evening now."

I've always had a rule of thumb as far as venue entry prices go: the higher the cost for single guys, the higher chance guys will want to "get their money's worth"

Now I'm not for one minute defending such behaviour, but I'm sure most couples would see £70 as an expensive night of "socialising" (non-play) at a swing club with play rooms.

By *unlovers70Couple  over a year ago

Overseas

We have had drinks stolen on a few occasions, if you ask the staff, they will allow you to either store the booze in their main fridge, alternatively, take drink that you can add to the /lemonade (which is pretty cool already) such as vodka/bicardi/jd!

By *exxxesCouple  over a year ago

Newbury / London

"£50 per cpl per night ? And ppl pay this seriously "

It is certainly at the 'pricer' end of the scale, but given its location in the south we think it's acceptable to be piced accordingly. We moved south a year ago and yes things cost a little more sometimes, where we feel the entry here has an edge is the free soft drinks / tea / coffee as mentioned.

We've been to Chams which is £30.00 (last time anyway on a Saturday), despite being BYOB, a few mixers and bottles of water later you're usually throwing a £20.00 over the counter at the end of the night. Therefore for us the entry at AbFabs works out at roughly the same anyway.

However, as per the main subject we have not yet had any drinks stolen, but if this is becoming more frequent we would think twice about going again. It's right that the staff don't seem too involved, we've never really taken to reception as they make you feel like you should be pleased they are letting you in and not very welcoming.

It's a good place, we've had fun there...yes it's sometimes cliquey but other places can be too. For us there are not many options as we're in Berkshire (club blackspot) so the 50 min drive is a good option. We'd hate to see it go, but we're also concerned that management appear to not really care and are possibly milking things. Potential here is for things to start self-fulfilling, standards drop so less attend which leads to higher prices to cover the shortage. Let's hope not anyway!

Realistically we should be able to leave our drinks labelled and trust one another...evidently that's not the case it seems.

Last time there I got talking to the management as I wanted something held securely for me. We got talking about web stuff and internet marketing when it was made quite clear to me that they were on a timescale to when the business would most likely end. Recessionary times have taken their toll and they wanted to get what they could.

Seem like they have got an exit strategy

By *InKentCouple  over a year ago

sittingbourne

Mmm not been to AbFabs is on our list of places to try but may give it a miss. We can't ordinarily have a drink to due the nature of our work so when we do we tend to treat ourselves to some quality stuff for the night. We went to our localish club Saturday with a 2 decent bottles Champane & an expensive, imported Vodka which we and some other people we shared it with drank. Reason? Someone running the bar.

We are relatively new to the scene but have been told by "old hand" that theft is common regardless of where you go. If you have 100 people in a building law of averages says someone will be attracted to other peoples belongings regardless of if its work, rest or play.

Best we go naked next time we visit a club and drink tap water

Haven't ever come across any theft of any kind and been to many clubs not abfabs though

By *ombshellWoman  over a year ago

islington

abfabs- hmmmm left a jar of canderel sweetner there in the little kitchen, in the cupboard and it had gone at the end of the evening grrrrrrrrr

Bristol

It doesn't surprise me that the only club in the country we have been to where we witnessed a "comatose" woman being groped by a couple she didn't know, also has stuff stolen :P

Face it the people who "host" the nights don't give a crap as long as they are getting paid.

By *exycleanerWoman  over a year ago

pontefract

i'm reading this with dismay as i was going to clubs before some of the one about now

ever opened their doors.

and its sad that you can leave drinks where people can steal them.

i my early days clubs went like this.

liaisons. bar area where you put drinks and were served by staff ,no lockers but were given a box for your valuables.

partners ,bar area staff serve your own ,you are given a number and you can take your own padlock for lockers.

now i go to isis bar area staff serve you £5 deposit for locker key.

and lastly la chambre has bar service only so they can control amount of alcohol u consumme and £5 deposit for locker keys .so maybe all clubs need to adopt this approach .

In the changing rooms rooms - the two large banks or bright red lockers - about 60 of them ... and around another 20+ in the area leading into the house. I'm surprised you've never seen them quite frankly. They're hard to miss."

they are there alright,

I keep walking into them d*unk after nicking all the booze from the fridges hic xx

Won't mention any names, but all except one club we have been to (and it wasn't Adfabs as we haven't been there yet) 'manage' your drinks for you either behind a proper bar or by some other means which is monitored properly by a member of staff. That goes for larger clubs, right down to a very small one in Essex.

I have to say, at the entry fees they charge, I am very surprised Adfabs doesn't provide something better than a 'trust' system for taking care of clients own property (which is what your booze is). The most we have so far paid to get in to any club is half that charged by Adfabs now so, if they can do it.... ?

Not an encouragement to us...

ted.

By *ightDiversionMan  over a year ago

Sevenoaks

"Last time there I got talking to the management as I wanted something held securely for me. We got talking about web stuff and internet marketing when it was made quite clear to me that they were on a timescale to when the business would most likely end. Recessionary times have taken their toll and they wanted to get what they could."

Aren't they on one of the options for the Expansion at Heathrow ?

We once lost an expensive-ish bracelet, called next day and it had been handed in, for each dishonest there are ten times more honest

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Two points. The first one. Some people have suggested putting something dodgy in the bottle. If you do that and the person who steals the drink gets sick. They will get a slap on the wrist whilst you go to prison...

Secondly tell the staff you will report the theft to the police. Either the threat or visits from the police will more than likely get a result... They won't want that sort of attention...

By *rica77Couple  over a year ago

Norwich

I was at AbfAbs last Saturday. We were provided with a key for one of the yellow lockers. Those are the ones situated in the entrance to the house. I always put my drink in a carrier bag and tie the top..makes it harder for the light fingered person. In my experience the staff at Abfabs/Kestrels are brilliant and will always attempt to sort out problems.

Derby

When we raised it, they weren't particularly interested. More or less shrugged their shoulders and said that it was happening more and more often. But they did offer us a couple if cans of beer as compensation for having a bottle of JD nicked!

On one occasion not so long ago, we had a small bottle of Vodka pinched. Hasn't put us off: we just write "culture experiment" on the bottle now!!! Not had any problems since

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Last time there I got talking to the management as I wanted something held securely for me. We got talking about web stuff and internet marketing when it was made quite clear to me that they were on a timescale to when the business would most likely end. Recessionary times have taken their toll and they wanted to get what they could.

Aren't they on one of the options for the Expansion at Heathrow ? "

Yes, it's the preferred option as the others will get more complaints from wealthier Richmond and West London folk.

By *ucy and CarlCouple  over a year ago

Broadstairs

There are a few reasons we would never use Abfabs again. The theft of drink is one of the reasons. Go to Pleasures its far far better and as they have a controlled bar where you bring your own drink and served by staff nothing will get stolen

Fareham

"There are a few reasons we would never use Abfabs again. The theft of drink is one of the reasons. Go to Pleasures its far far better and as they have a controlled bar where you bring your own drink and served by staff nothing will get stolen"

Not that easy when you live in Southampton ... Kent is a bit of a trek! AbFabs is the closest viable option to us (plus we love the venue anyway). The theft thing IS a bit of a problem but it's not enough of an issue to stop us going.

After today's news though, we may have no option

no matter

If people carry a toy bag/condoms it cannot be that difficult to carry a medium bottle of spirit.. There are so many places one could hide a bottle anyway in the venue.

most of the time people forget just how much they have actually d*unk anyway. I think sometimes people just get pissy for no real reason.

sorry ..

Fareham

"If people carry a toy bag/condoms it cannot be that difficult to carry a medium bottle of spirit.. There are so many places one could hide a bottle anyway in the venue.

most of the time people forget just how much they have actually d*unk anyway. I think sometimes people just get pissy for no real reason.

sorry .."

Sauvignon Blanc is my poison ... and I like it cold. I ought to be able to leave a labelled bottle of MY wine in a fridge without some scum bag helping themselves to it. And I shouldn't have to carry the bottle around with me like some wino.

That said, it hasn't stopped us from attending the venue as, when weighing up the pros and cons, the pros win hands down. I let the management know if a theft has occurred - but until they take it seriously and come up with a viable solution, we'll just have to live with it. Luckily, it doesn't happen every time.

we used to operate an honour system in the army in some places heres a solution ... lockable sections on the fridge only 3 maybe 4 people per section that way if theres a theft your pretty sure who it is.

I only go for the free soft drinks

Derby

"If people carry a toy bag/condoms it cannot be that difficult to carry a medium bottle of spirit.. There are so many places one could hide a bottle anyway in the venue.

sorry .."

Not in our case I'm afraid. I drive there, so don't drink. I always pour the drinks, so I knew exactly how much was in OUR bottle, with OUR names on it. We reported it, and the staff couldn't care less. This theft, coupled with the fact that there seemed to be a lot of guys ( mainly asian) walking round on their own, and especially in the dark room, means we will probably think twice about going again. We may give it one more shot, but if it's the same again on both those scores, that'll be it.

"Just fill a wine bottle with liquid laxative and wait by the toilet door, having first removed all the loo roll

"

I find adding Viagra to the mix to incase its a male

By *pen2offersxCouple  over a year ago

kettering

Have you tried hellfire club ?

"We went to AbFabs last night and got our bottle of JD d*unk by others whilst we were elsewhere in the club.... the staff said it's happening more and more now- has anyone else had this problem there? "

Yep, nearly every time I visited with friends, and like yourself I am a non drinker.

In the end I kept any drinks locked in my car boot, it may have been inconvenient wondering into the carpark but our drinks never disappeared again.

Fareham

Just found an ingenious combination lock/bottle stopper from the website of a very famous 'blue' supermarket. I'm going to order one - that should do the trick!

By *ukus 62Woman  over a year ago

Essex

"Been to hellfire, abfabs and a reg at chams. I much prefer chams and hellfire that have manned bars (still byob). Bars and barstaff provide a focal point and a much better way of connecting with other couples"

Glasgow

It's a bit disconcerting that, in an environment where people need to be able to trust others enough to have sex with them, you can't actually trust some of them to keep their paws aff yer bevvy.

We've been to Kestrels and people have had their food nicked out of the fridge .

As with others , since Hamshaws shut down its the only viable place ,as naturist swingers ,without driving huge distances .

So we keep hold of our food and drink !.

By *rica77Couple  over a year ago

Norwich

Does anyone have any Biohazard stickers. ...the type used in Microbiology labs.....now that would put most people off......

Fareham

"We've been to Kestrels and people have had their food nicked out of the fridge .

As with others , since Hamshaws shut down its the only viable place ,as naturist swingers ,without driving huge distances .

So we keep hold of our food and drink !.

"

We've never had food nicked - maybe they don't like what we eat lol.

Looks like it all might be academic though if they don't win their appeal to stay open

Re lockers....

We always ask for a big locker when we go on a Friday night and use the ones just outside where the platform and voyeur rooms are...

Simply take a cold bag with freezer ice blocks and keep drinks safe...

and as for d*unkenness what are they supposed to do? put bouncers in the venue? (this will add more cost as most licensed security staff want at least £10 and hour) do we really want to be monitored like that at a swingers club?

Happened to me at chams too , bottle wine ...anybody can give any number and drink whoever's drink is given - should have a better system like maybe a password to access whatever alcohol you out behind the bar .

By *win PeaksCouple  over a year ago

Northamptonshire

"Happened to me at chams too , bottle wine ...anybody can give any number and drink whoever's drink is given - should have a better system like maybe a password to access whatever alcohol you out behind the bar ."

Chams usually ask to see your numbered locker key before handing over drinks, usually not always

N

By *aydeesclubCouple  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

[Removed by poster at 14/08/13 22:15:09]

By *aydeesclubCouple  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Hi everyone, we here at Jaydees built up a pigeon hole bar. (lots of boxes). Then one of our members puts the drinks in the little cabby holes and gives the people their number on a numbered/tagged elastic. They then present this when they go to the bar. Each person pays a £1 on the door for this. The £1's then pay the bar person. Their drink is then safe. We also charge a much smaller amount to get in with free buffet too

Club are quick enough to post on the Kestral's thread but ignore this one.

To me that speaks volumes as to their interest in getting this sorted and how important they view it.

There are plenty of other clubs who have been happy to defend or explain their position when faced with negativity on the forums.

» Add a new message to this topic