FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > I just got blocked from messaging for a stupid reason

I just got blocked from messaging for a stupid reason

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oulerner OP   Man  over a year ago

Dublin City

... because I apparently the algorithm detected a website in my message, which there absolutely wasn't. I also didn't mention anything from outside fab. The only thing I can see and even remotely makes sense is that I wrote "1 5 point 5 cm" (without any spaces and the point being an actual dot) and it somehow detected that as a website. Which is bollocks because there are no top level domains that contain numbers.

Anyway maybe someone can look into that algorithm and fix that, pretty please.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

algorithms, go figure.

Dublin City

"algorithms, go figure. "

I don't even mind not being able to send it like to that but being blocked from messaging for multiple hours (as the system says) is extremely annoying to say the least - especially today.

By *BWandhusbandCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

You usually just have to wait it out.

By *ustme1820Woman  over a year ago

Southcoast Gosport

"algorithms, go figure.

I don't even mind not being able to send it like to that but being blocked from messaging for multiple hours (as the system says) is extremely annoying to say the least - especially today."

it’s only a couple of hours op

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You probably used a banned word.

No, there's not a list.

No, I didn't make the rules.

You need to wait out the ban.

Dublin City

"You probably used a banned word.

No, there's not a list.

You need to wait out the ban."

Well, the message was quite long (I try to put some thought into my messages) but nothing stood out as banned word.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

No, there's not a list.

You need to wait out the ban."

Logic dictates that the OP can't be 'banned' - unless they posted using another account.

Rather, the message must have been rejected and that appears to have a simple explanation.

Unless, of course, I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Dublin City

No I'm just banned from sending people messages, forums apparently work fine

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

No, there's not a list.

Logic dictates that the OP can't be 'banned' - unless they posted using another account.

Rather, the message must have been rejected and that appears to have a simple explanation.

Unless, of course, I have got the wrong end of the stick."

It is a mail block he is talking about

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

There do seem to be some words that can be used innocuously, but also can be used for some quite dark stuff.

Whether that applies to messages as well as forum posts, I couldn't say.

Stuff about the exploitation of races in the southern USA, for example

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

No, there's not a list.

Unless, of course, I have got the wrong end of the stick.

It is a mail block he is talking about"

I take it, then, that is mailing an individual user rather than a forum post?

In which case that is a new one for me.

Never heard of it before. I've lead a sheltered life although I've picked up a few forum bans, including for inadvertently identifying a dogging location!

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

You get notified when you try to send so you must've forced to send knowing or not something wasn't right that's the clue

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"You get notified when you try to send so you must've forced to send knowing or not something wasn't right that's the clue "

You don't get notified if the algorithm thinks you're trying to talk about certain websites.

You get a message ban for a period of time.

Even if you're discussing the website and not trying to promote it.

Newcastle

"You get notified when you try to send so you must've forced to send knowing or not something wasn't right that's the clue

You don't get notified if the algorithm thinks you're trying to talk about certain websites.

You get a message ban for a period of time.

Even if you're discussing the website and not trying to promote it.

"

Does the same in the forum

Dublin City

"You get notified when you try to send so you must've forced to send knowing or not something wasn't right that's the clue "

well it said something about "there's a website in your message, remove it and you can send it" so I went back, checked the message and there wasn't anything (well, duh). so I tried to send it anyway.

the ban lifted in the meantime and I rephrased some stuff but got another ban so I'm now super unsure why I'm actually getting message banned. it's a mystery

By *almprintsWoman  over a year ago

Organising fun and chaos in West

"algorithms, go figure. "

genius

Newcastle

"You get notified when you try to send so you must've forced to send knowing or not something wasn't right that's the clue

well it said something about "there's a website in your message, remove it and you can send it" so I went back, checked the message and there wasn't anything (well, duh). so I tried to send it anyway.

the ban lifted in the meantime and I rephrased some stuff but got another ban so I'm now super unsure why I'm actually getting message banned. it's a mystery "

Thought as much I guess you didn't learn the first time pal sounds like it's not your day to day

By *iscreet Suck n GoMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Probably because you defined urself as a nerd lol.

By *uv2kissMan  over a year ago

fenland

In the past I've been warned when I've tried to send a message.

Looked back and tried to guess what the issue was, corrected what I thought was the problem, tried yo resend it and got banned fir a few hours still without having a clue what the problem was.

So now if I get warned I just don't send it.

Dublin City

No idea. Now it seems I'm just randomly getting message banned

Quite frustrating - maybe the algorithm could be a bit less paranoid for people that have been on the site for a bit, and are both verified and are site supporters?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

the ban lifted in the meantime and I rephrased some stuff but got another ban so I'm now super unsure why I'm actually getting message banned. it's a mystery "

It says the website as an example of what might have happened , it will be a word, phrase that Admin have blocked in mails. It could be something that can have a different context or meaning. I have fallen foul of it before now, once I figured out what it was , even though it was innocent coming from me I could understand why.

Either way as the pop up says it will lift in a couple of hours.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"No idea. Now it seems I'm just randomly getting message banned

Quite frustrating - maybe the algorithm could be a bit less paranoid for people that have been on the site for a bit, and are both verified and are site supporters?"

All of the above doesn't mean people don't break rules or are not into things that are not allowed on the site

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is the reason I do not pay theses kind of sites any money.

Dublin City

"

It says the website as an example of what might have happened , it will be a word, phrase that Admin have blocked in mails. It could be something that can have a different context or meaning. I have fallen foul of it before now, once I figured out what it was , even though it was innocent coming from me I could understand why.

Either way as the pop up says it will lift in a couple of hours."

Well, the ban was lifted and I sent a message and then was contemplating sending another to someone else but going back and forth between the message page and the profile page and suddenly I was blocked again without a warning. It just doesn't make sense anymore

Dublin City

"

and suddenly I was blocked again without a warning. "

without a warning and most importantly without ever hitting send message

By *angbang_ChaperoneMan  over a year ago

Bangor ish

Maybe just say "Six Inches" in future? :o

"algorithms, go figure.

I don't even mind not being able to send it like to that but being blocked from messaging for multiple hours (as the system says) is extremely annoying to say the least - especially today."

Welcome to fab..

"You usually just have to wait it out."

You soumds like you been blkvked a lot... lol

By *BWandhusbandCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

"You usually just have to wait it out.

You soumds like you been blkvked a lot... lol"

Nope, never happened to us.

Manchester (she/her)

"You usually just have to wait it out.

You soumds like you been blkvked a lot... lol"

It's happened to me a handful of times. Innocent mistakes, sort of thing. Just the nature of the system. (I'm not going into details or disputing moderation, just saying "this is how it is")

Newcastle

Basically being a site supporter or not we as users of the site get treated the same

If you try to force send a message that has notified you something is wrong.you /A user would delete the entire message and try to read word the message and if it still happening ? You are still using something that goes against.its not difficult to understand not to force a message when being notified you just click back and delete

By *xymcsexingtonWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It doesn't last long man just wait it out

Dublin City

"It doesn't last long man just wait it out"
not if I continue to get message banned

Manchester (she/her)

"It doesn't last long man just wait it outnot if I continue to get message banned "

What I suggest you do is think about the words you use, and if any of them could be misused for purposes that would be improper on Fab.

Even if you use the word innocently.

Dublin City

"It doesn't last long man just wait it outnot if I continue to get message banned

What I suggest you do is think about the words you use, and if any of them could be misused for purposes that would be improper on Fab.

Even if you use the word innocently."

I went through the message about 10 times now, changed any words that could even remotely be construed as bad and it still gives me the warning and subsequent ban, even after not trying to send the message again. It's beyond frustrating, and I have no clue what it could be. If there would be a list of banned words or topics, I could at least guess.

By *tagandvixenyorkshireCouple  over a year ago

Bridlington

"algorithms, go figure.

Why especially today?

By *ripodius WillyusMan  over a year ago

Colne

Gloria estefan was well ahead of what was coming along in her song.

The algorythms going to get you the alogrythms going to get you tonight