FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Body type / size interpretation

Body type / size interpretation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I don't know if it's just me, but I have felt for quite some time that the current system of describing ones body type / size is open to massive misinterpretation.

Allow me to expand on this.

As someone who remembers 'The Clothes Show' from the 80's I recall that the term 'Fabulous' was used by the 'larger' ladies - I imagine this is what we refer to these days as BBW

It is apparent that younger members who are not familiar with this interpret the term 'Fabulous' to mean something more akin to 'perfect body', 'Hot', 'Supermodel' etc.

Because there is no explanation of what these terms mean when creating a profile, we have a situation where some members may be missing out due to misinterpretation by others.

For example, without stating a particular preference, but simply describing a scenario to illustrate a point, one could visit a profile where the user has selected the 'Fabulous' option. The reader interprets this as BBW and, as that is not the type they are looking for, they pass the profile by, when in fact, the 'Fabulous' user may be exactly the type they are looking for.

Of course, there is another method that would clear up a lot of confusion.

In the clothing industry, there is a standard system i.e. sizes. (e.g. Size 10, 12, 14 etc)

Obviously, I appreciate that size standards are different between Men & Women, but for example, a woman may consider herself as @Ample' where others may regard her as curvy - and vice versa.

And, if I'm being particularly pedantic, Curvy is a shape, not a size.

Perhaps as a compromise we could modify the existing system, for example, give examples of sizes for each of the 'types'

Just off the top of my head, for example 'Curvy - Sizes 14-18)'

How do others feel about this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittlemisssassypantsCouple  over a year ago

South East Wales

I suppose you could look and the pictures or read the profile to find tor answer.

All the terms on offer for selection to describe body type is subjective. A size 8 can still have an hour glass figure therefore describe herself as curvy, although other may see her as slim? We all interpret size and shape differently, which is why the definitions used in the profile are open to interpretation and pictures are going to be a better way of gaging someone's size. I happen to mention my dress size in our profile so people who chose to then message us are fully aware of what they're getting.

Sassy

By *ittlemisssassypantsCouple  over a year ago

South East Wales

Apologies for all the typos!

On the whole I would agree, but this proves to be rather difficult when the user hasn't posted any pics

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"On the whole I would agree, but this proves to be rather difficult when the user hasn't posted any pics"

If they haven't posted any pics then just skip to the next profile, you are never going to get a good idea of what they look like from a drop down list

By *exycouplemmmmCouple  over a year ago

Surrey

"I don't know if it's just me, but I have felt for quite some time that the current system of describing ones body type / size is open to massive misinterpretation.

Allow me to expand on this.

As someone who remembers 'The Clothes Show' from the 80's I recall that the term 'Fabulous' was used by the 'larger' ladies - I imagine this is what we refer to these days as BBW

It is apparent that younger members who are not familiar with this interpret the term 'Fabulous' to mean something more akin to 'perfect body', 'Hot', 'Supermodel' etc.

Because there is no explanation of what these terms mean when creating a profile, we have a situation where some members may be missing out due to misinterpretation by others.

For example, without stating a particular preference, but simply describing a scenario to illustrate a point, one could visit a profile where the user has selected the 'Fabulous' option. The reader interprets this as BBW and, as that is not the type they are looking for, they pass the profile by, when in fact, the 'Fabulous' user may be exactly the type they are looking for.

Of course, there is another method that would clear up a lot of confusion.

In the clothing industry, there is a standard system i.e. sizes. (e.g. Size 10, 12, 14 etc)

Obviously, I appreciate that size standards are different between Men & Women, but for example, a woman may consider herself as @Ample' where others may regard her as curvy - and vice versa.

And, if I'm being particularly pedantic, Curvy is a shape, not a size.

Perhaps as a compromise we could modify the existing system, for example, give examples of sizes for each of the 'types'

Just off the top of my head, for example 'Curvy - Sizes 14-18)'

How do others feel about this?"

Personally, I've been a size 18 plus and worked really hard to get to a 14 ... so I'd rather not be grouped in that way. (Nowt wrong with being an 18)

Plus, as others have said - check out the photos, or if none pass by xx

"On the whole I would agree, but this proves to be rather difficult when the user hasn't posted any pics

If they haven't posted any pics then just skip to the next profile, you are never going to get a good idea of what they look like from a drop down list "

Totally agree, and this is what I do

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

People can call themselves what they want surely

» Add a new message to this topic