FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > French VISA

French VISA

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeValentina OP   Couple  over a year ago

London

I assume after Brexit we will need to get a French visa to go there? Any idea how long time it will take to get? And how much will it cost?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"I assume after Brexit we will need to get a French visa to go there? Any idea how long time it will take to get? And how much will it cost?"

It is likely you will be able to spend 90 days in 180 days for tourism purposes without a visa but if you want to do any work in Europe you might need a business visa.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/11/20 18:54:31]

"I assume after Brexit we will need to get a French visa to go there? Any idea how long time it will take to get? And how much will it cost?"

No it wont change anything for tourism purpose.

U might need to apply for a resident if u are willing to stay for work and I guess the whole process will be streamlined for a british citizen.

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

Everything is guess work at the moment (according to the Local French Provost) but I would imagine it will be along similar lines of the American ESTA system.. i.e. all on line, a few questions and pfft, print off your visa! cost??? dunno!

Because of the Brexit we have had to re-apply for our residence visas.. application made a month ago, nothing heard since! "still awaiting final details about the terms of the exit" apparently..... meanwhile, back at the OK corral.....

"I assume after Brexit we will need to get a French visa to go there? Any idea how long time it will take to get? And how much will it cost?

Everything is guess work at the moment (according to the Local French Provost) but I would imagine it will be along similar lines of the American ESTA system.. i.e. all on line, a few questions and pfft, print off your visa! cost??? dunno!

Because of the Brexit we have had to re-apply for our residence visas.. application made a month ago, nothing heard since! "still awaiting final details about the terms of the exit" apparently..... meanwhile, back at the OK corral....."

True no one really knows until it"s formal but several newspaper have recently tackled this issue. It"s a sensitive topic in France, as many french executives lives in London, our fearing here was being unable to move and settle for professionnal reasons. It came out that we will still be able but we wont have any new shortcut.

In all cases, you are all welcome

By *ikeValentina OP   Couple  over a year ago

London

We are just worried that if there’s no brexit agreement, UK and EU will need to negotiate a streamlined process like ESTA but that will probably take time, so for 2021 we might need a visa. I’m sure if it was just up to France it could be fast, but a right to enter France is also a right to enter any EU country so it’s not going to be a quick fix we are thinking. Hopefully we are wrong though.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"We are just worried that if there’s no brexit agreement, UK and EU will need to negotiate a streamlined process like ESTA but that will probably take time, so for 2021 we might need a visa. I’m sure if it was just up to France it could be fast, but a right to enter France is also a right to enter any EU country so it’s not going to be a quick fix we are thinking. Hopefully we are wrong though."

Tourists do not need a visa for a stay under 90 days in a 180 day period, it's all on the government website. The only difference from today for tourists is your passport needs six months left before expiry.

"We are just worried that if there’s no brexit agreement, UK and EU will need to negotiate a streamlined process like ESTA but that will probably take time, so for 2021 we might need a visa. I’m sure if it was just up to France it could be fast, but a right to enter France is also a right to enter any EU country so it’s not going to be a quick fix we are thinking. Hopefully we are wrong though."

Even for people willing to get permanent residency they need to apply before jUly 2021.Leaving EU doesnt mean getting visa, u were not in Schengen before that and France and many european countrues have free travel agreement. Honestly u can book ur stay in CAP or Paris faily confidently

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique/droit-au-sejour.html

Last news on this topic

1.It will be no longer possible to travel with only an ID card for EU citizens, a passport will be mandatory.

2. There is a 5y period to change borders control

3. They might set up in the next few months a kind of ESTA

bournemouth

"Last news on this topic

1.It will be no longer possible to travel with only an ID card for EU citizens, a passport will be mandatory.

2. There is a 5y period to change borders control

3. They might set up in the next few months a kind of ESTA"

Apart from ireland you have needed a passport for many many years, and the eu announced ages ago they are going to do a esta type thing

no an ID was enough if u were coming for a short period (I personally did that way many times the last years)

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

A UK citizen visiting France has needed a passport for many years.

ID cards went out years ago...

By *avinatvwirralTV/TS  over a year ago

wirral

What are the rules for people who have a house in France but not residents xx

"A UK citizen visiting France has needed a passport for many years.

ID cards went out years ago..."

Hmm for a week end for example? Thats not what is stated on official website.Anyway starting 1st of january in all cases a passport is mandatory

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS  over a year ago

Pau France, NOT IN

"What are the rules for people who have a house in France but not residents xx"

No special treatment for this, you will be treated as just a normal tourist and therefore subject to the 90 day rule in any 180 days. If you want to stay longer than 90 days then you need a visa. The 90 days applies to anywhere in EU, so you cannot do 90 days in France and then nip across the border to stay in Spain as that would put you over the limit and subject to a fine or ban.

By *rith47Man  over a year ago

Erith

A new Europe-wide visa starts late 2021 for tourism. It is called ETIAS. There is plenty of information about is online. It will be a small charge and the visa lasts for three months.

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

Hmm for a week end for example? Thats not what is stated on official website.Anyway starting 1st of january in all cases a passport is mandatory"

Could you provide a link to that website please..?

I'd be interested to know how you entered France without a passport.

bournemouth

"no an ID was enough if u were coming for a short period (I personally did that way many times the last years)"

Only to Ireland as we were and are in a common travel area which has existed far longer than the EU

bournemouth

"What are the rules for people who have a house in France but not residents xx

No special treatment for this, you will be treated as just a normal tourist and therefore subject to the 90 day rule in any 180 days. If you want to stay longer than 90 days then you need a visa. The 90 days applies to anywhere in EU, so you cannot do 90 days in France and then nip across the border to stay in Spain as that would put you over the limit and subject to a fine or ban."

There are a couple of exceptions, Cyprus being one I think, not sure why

Hmm for a week end for example? Thats not what is stated on official website.Anyway starting 1st of january in all cases a passport is mandatory

I'd be interested to know how you entered France without a passport."

Yes :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-the-uk-from-1-january-2021

-- It clearly shows that before 1st of january an ID was enough to enter UK for a french ctizen

French official website

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/united-kingdom/brexit/i-am-a-british-citizen-living-in-the-uk-and-wish-to-visit-france/

From 1 February 2020 until tthe end of the transition period on 31 December 2020 entry conditions remain the same as before Brexit: travellers wishing to enter France must carry a valid passport or national ID card. No visa is required.

3. Eurostar

Even if not an official one we expect from them to give accurate infos

https://www.eurostar.com/fr-fr/voyage/preparez-votre-voyage/passeports-et-cartes-didentite

Of course all of these are for short stay, lets say week end hollidays

bournemouth

I'd be interested to know how you entered France without a passport.

Yes :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-the-uk-from-1-january-2021

-- It clearly shows that before 1st of january an ID was enough to enter UK for a french ctizen

French official website

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/united-kingdom/brexit/i-am-a-british-citizen-living-in-the-uk-and-wish-to-visit-france/

From 1 February 2020 until tthe end of the transition period on 31 December 2020 entry conditions remain the same as before Brexit: travellers wishing to enter France must carry a valid passport or national ID card. No visa is required.

3. Eurostar

Even if not an official one we expect from them to give accurate infos

https://www.eurostar.com/fr-fr/voyage/preparez-votre-voyage/passeports-et-cartes-didentite

Of course all of these are for short stay, lets say week end hollidays

"

The question was do you need a passport to enter france not the UK, we dont have ID cards so a passport is needed.

By *esFranceMan  over a year ago

France

yes you do need a passport

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

Hi Niptuk and thanks for providing those links.

They all refer to people entering the UK, not UK citizens entering France. Which was my original point.

When I was a youth I could buy a weekend pass for a shopping trip across the Channel, no passport needed.

The times they are a changing ..

I remember them.

Pop down the post office, hand over a couple of quid, receive a heavy duty card type pass and away you go.

Valid for a year I think.

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

hubby did a bit of research but its only about business visas but £60 was the price of that

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

For us residents it's a thing called W.A.R.P

By *ice Guy 86Man  over a year ago

N Lincs

"hubby did a bit of research but its only about business visas but £60 was the price of that"

Hi where did your hubby find the information about the business visa? I have been looking but struggling to find anything about entering from the uk as everything just throws up things about COVID at present. Any help would be great thanks

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

"For us residents it's a thing called W.A.R.P"

Is that the withdrawal agreement residence permit?

"What are the rules for people who have a house in France but not residents xx

No special treatment for this, you will be treated as just a normal tourist and therefore subject to the 90 day rule in any 180 days. If you want to stay longer than 90 days then you need a visa. The 90 days applies to anywhere in EU, so you cannot do 90 days in France and then nip across the border to stay in Spain as that would put you over the limit and subject to a fine or ban."

Or if you want to stay longer you could seek residency in France and spend up to one day less than 6 months in U.K. That would mean being tax resident in France.

» Add a new message to this topic