FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Speed cameras

Speed cameras

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Recently received two lovely speeding fines on a stretch of road to the big city that I know very well.

Nothing crazy and just 5k over the limit I think but couldn’t work out he as I always look out for parked vans or cars with hidden cameras or watch for oncoming cars flashing but noticed nothing.

But yesterday I saw the po po,s new weapon which is a bow about the size of a old beat box just left at the side of the road so it’s hard to spot being so low down.

Stay safe out there.!!!

T

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

Up here in 53

They hide behind walls and buildings with The gun.only a true clairvoyant would know they were there

Stealth methods

I have a 4x4 that does 25 to the gallon at 1 euro 50 a litre there's not much chance of a heavy fine here

By *arwayCouple  over a year ago

exeter

Many thanks for the tip haven't been to France for nearly 2 years, hoping to get there in in October for 3 week. Broader of 14 & 50 between Fire & St Lo . need to see some friends and sort our caravan out.

By *arwayCouple  over a year ago

exeter

Pressed the f instead of the V = Vire & St Lo

By *aelic funMan  over a year ago

Carlisle Dumfries

France has far more speed cameras than the UK - one of the most prolific speed police country in Europe.

Latest threat to motorists is their unmarked cars.

NOT police cars but ordinary cars driven by ordinary people but the cars are fitted with cameras. The drivers of these cars never know what they have captured on film (from A, RN and departmental roads).

These guys just drive around all day as normal - so far Normandy/Brittany & Loire down to the Gironde that I know of, but its being launched across all France.

Bon Route !!

By *esFranceMan  over a year ago

France

All been passed to a private company, unmarked every day cars, parked up and driven round. All payed on results !!! best advice is stick to the speed limits ? have fun and stay safe xxx

By *ap d Agde HarbourMan  over a year ago

Cap d Agde in May 23 and September 23 Meals in the apartment , horse riding and boat trips

I am just back and was very carefull to observe all the limits. However no all drivers are so keen. I had a few cases of serious tailgating where passing was not prohibited and one driver forced me into a slip road in his enthusiasm to pass . Hopefully no speeding tickets in the post . I switched my Satnav to kilometres to monitor them.

By *5happycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tooting / dept 23 France

got caught on a speed camera . didn't look down and convert fast enough . so have bought a digital Speedo. £20 . sit on top of dash . and reads in km. hopefully more accurate too .

By *topthepressMan  over a year ago

MANCHESTER

We have a place in France we went in 2018 no speeding finds went 2019 received 11 speeding finds sent to my UK address drivers bewhere speed limits were lowered

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

We heard ghat due to brexit ending data sharing the release of information like address by the dvla is no longer allowed does anyone know if that is right?

MANCHESTER

Not worth the risk there is an organisation that collects fines from Europe they can knock on your door like bailiffs and your fine will increase dramatically and could be difficult if to drive in Europe often as we do

By *aelic funMan  over a year ago

Carlisle Dumfries

No it’s not right. France and the uk have an agreement separate from Brexit to send fines to motorists in both countries

If you don’t have kms on your car Speedo then you can simply get an ap on your phone - very accurate

MANCHESTER

Most car speedometers can be converted to KMs it's that french laws often change and tourists unaware

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Ok well dont think we tripped any no flashes noticed just fingers crossed

By *palgMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

And the speed limit may now vary from one area to another, as it is left to local authorities to decide.

"And the speed limit may now vary from one area to another, as it is left to local authorities to decide."

Indeed!!

We live on the border of 23 and 36 and it’s jumps from 80 to 90 when entering 23 but after driving into a ditch yesterday because of the sun I think I will stick to less than 80 down these back roads.

T

By *palgMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I was born and grew up in 18, so not too far from you.

Hope you're ok after your visit to the ditch. Ouch!

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

The only time we have been caught is at the junction to "Silly en Gouffern".

We were looking at the silly place name and missed that although all the previous junctions went from 80 to 60, this one went to 50. Caught at 57!

"And the speed limit may now vary from one area to another, as it is left to local authorities to decide.

Indeed!!

We live on the border of 23 and 36 and it’s jumps from 80 to 90 when entering 23 but after driving into a ditch yesterday because of the sun I think I will stick to less than 80 down these back roads.

T"

So you know what the little roads are like and yes we were fine luckily thank you.

T

MANCHESTER

But after all that's it's still worth a drive love the route nationale

By *urvylover999Man  over a year ago

saint james , france

"Recently received two lovely speeding fines on a stretch of road to the big city that I know very well.

Nothing crazy and just 5k over the limit I think but couldn’t work out he as I always look out for parked vans or cars with hidden cameras or watch for oncoming cars flashing but noticed nothing.

But yesterday I saw the po po,s new weapon which is a bow about the size of a old beat box just left at the side of the road so it’s hard to spot being so low down.

Stay safe out there.!!!

T"

Dis it have two rubber cables running across the whole road ? Waterproof container at one end? Idf so In the uk these used these to count the amount of traffic rather than a speed catcher

"Recently received two lovely speeding fines on a stretch of road to the big city that I know very well.

Stay safe out there.!!!

T

Dis it have two rubber cables running across the whole road ? Waterproof container at one end? Idf so In the uk these used these to count the amount of traffic rather than a speed catcher "

No

It’s a sit alone box which can be placed almost any where and is hard to spot so often you don’t get the usual Waze heads up.

T

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

they drive around in plane cars in hull with npr cameras on boardaswell looking for county line and speeding offenders

By *ernebaycolinMan  over a year ago

Sandwich

Just received a registered letter in England which is a speeding fine for last December

Is this legal after such a long period?

MANCHESTER

"Just received a registered letter in England which is a speeding fine for last December

Is this legal after such a long period?"

Yes it's legal they have 12 months from the date of the offence

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Stay safe out there.!!!

T"

We need those cameras here, they sound ideal, especially in 20mph zones.

Yes, staying safe out there is abiding by speed limits regardless of MPH or KMH. A driver claiming they got caught when unable to convert speeds on the fly is a dangerous one!!

Tell the child just before you hit them that metric imperial was the cause of their demise..

Staying safe is not dodging cameras, it is obedience of the laws and set limits wherever we are driving.

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

Well that will probably kill this conversation...

Stands back waiting for the flack to fly

By *ernebaycolinMan  over a year ago

Sandwich

The problem I have is my sat nav is saying the speed limit is 90km when it is only 80km

I’ve updated my sat nav but it is still wrong

"The problem I have is my sat nav is saying the speed limit is 90km when it is only 80km

I’ve updated my sat nav but it is still wrong"

Try downloading Waze for your phone which is very good for your speed and cameras.

T

By *UCKY 69Man  over a year ago

norwich

"got caught on a speed camera . didn't look down and convert fast enough . so have bought a digital Speedo. £20 . sit on top of dash . and reads in km. hopefully more accurate too . "

Got one as well !!! Saved me from some fines

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

waze is very good, especially when used in conjunction with a sat nav.. Sometimes you get conflicting info but common sense prevails..,

I have found that waze can take you off a road and send you on some obscure routes that actually tend to get you to your destination slower..

Modern sat navs, and I have a tom tom auto updates and will ask when you have passed an obstruction or speed cam etc, if its still there..

Waze does have up to date info admittedly but isn't always the best or quickest I've found..

Longridge

"The problem I have is my sat nav is saying the speed limit is 90km when it is only 80km

I’ve updated my sat nav but it is still wrong"

When you switch on a Sat Nav, is there not a disclaimer stating that it is a drivers responsibility to keep to speed limits and observe and comply with signage?

Or is it just the Speed Camera warnings that isn't working??

There are two sides of the fence to speeding, one is drivers guilty of it claiming they are "victims" and it is so unfair..

And the other side, the families and victims that are injured a d killed by reckless, selfish, inconsiderate, speeding drivers?

I used to be on the first, but after being on a very well run and informative Speed Awareness course a few years ago, realised I wasn't the victim, and as such changed my driving to be socially acceptable.

People bleating to me how unfair to get caught, gets the swift "tough shit, you only have yourself to blame" response.

What about middle lane hoggers and tailgating?

By *unlunguyMan  over a year ago

17510 FRANCE

I believe tired drivers kill more than speeding drivers , no radar yet for tiredness.

By *heccoCouple  over a year ago

Normandy France

I received a speeding ticket (naughty naughty) when driving between the A86 and the A1 going to CDG on the little link motorway. I was travelling at the same speed as everyone else as we passed the speed indicator (with the smiley or sad face) there were so many cars I wondered how they selected me or did everyone get a ticket? I paid the €90 ticket so not to get it doubled through time, but this week got a letter in the post saying they are going to refund the money with no explanation...

By *revor1940Man  over a year ago

west of Haverfordwest

I can go into a menu on my Mercedes based motorhome and change the digital speed and cruise control to kms. Also both the built in navigator and the garmin. Whole lot in kms. I guess most cars with digital displays must be changeable?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Over here in Cotes D'Armor it's a mixed bag. Threat of unmarked cars but seems to be mostly speed cameras atm.

"I can go into a menu on my Mercedes based motorhome and change the digital speed and cruise control to kms. Also both the built in navigator and the garmin. Whole lot in kms. I guess most cars with digital displays must be changeable?"

Our Merc has Kms on the dash in digital form so now once in fifth gear I just set the cruise control to the speed limit which works well .

News last week said they are rolling out the unmarked cars all over France.

T

Longridge

Phone apps to show GPS speeds are freely available to download.

Not only that, using more accurate GPS speedometer means arriving earlier as most car speedometers are deliberately underrated by 10%.

My speedo says 55 when GPS states 50. Which is why truckers are on your ass when using dash to maintain 50mph..

I was once in Bodmin Court when a guy caught at 140mph on a motorbike claimed police was wrong as he had GPS proof he was actually doing 122mph.

So, although court accepted his argument in order to avoid a long drawn out trial, they instead used his own incriminating evidence against himself to convict at his self declared speed of 122mp!!!

Kind of backfired as he wanted it thrown out.. oops

» Add a new message to this topic