FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Long term visa

Long term visa

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asques and boxers OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Hi Does anyone one know about the above visa e.g. income level needed if you own a property. If are accepted and get your visa can you go to other EU countries without breaking the 90 day rule?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exjoyMan  over a year ago

bicester

Best is to become a resident, just need to fill in simple for, at Mairie, which opens doors to all EU memberstates

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Becoming a "resident" is slightly more complicated than just filling some forms in at the Mairie.

Firstly its the Prefectures that manage Carte de Sejour , and you are entitled to one if you were here prior to 1st January if you hold a Uk passport (Irish obviously still in EU).If you are British and weren't here before Brexit happened then you are past the date of applying for a Carte under the withdrawl agreement, we had a Carte prior to last year and it has taken a year to get our new one under the withdrawal agreement, so I think your comment is misles

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

Just received our CDS.10 year ones

We have friends with the 12 month visa .Firstly you have to have own insurance (2k,they had to pay )plus more for other types of authorisation forms etc,

The CDS may take time but so much cheaper,

By *kijetCouple  over a year ago

bristol

"Best is to become a resident, just need to fill in simple for, at Mairie, which opens doors to all EU memberstates"
You are talking absolute rubbish. where did you get this information from? it’s a long process to get residency in France and no doubt the same for any other countries.

Ashford and dept16

Hi we don't really want to be full residents we just want to find a route to legally work around staying in france for a longer period without concern over visiting canarie Islands during the dark winter months. So spring through to September really.

"Hi we don't really want to be full residents we just want to find a route to legally work around staying in france for a longer period without concern over visiting canarie Islands during the dark winter months. So spring through to September really. "
the 180 days in a year in blocks of 3 months is the total time allowed in all European countries so Canaries falls under Spain, so if you have already used your "allowance" in France you can't just start in another European country. Also a Carte ee Sejour only allows you right to stay in France and the rights to visit other European countries are the same as that for UK residents.

A long term visa is the solution however this requires a visit to the embassy , health insurance and proof of funds

"Just received our CDS.10 year ones

We have friends with the 12 month visa .Firstly you have to have own insurance (2k,they had to pay )plus more for other types of authorisation forms etc,

The CDS may take time but so much cheaper, "

Right to get a Carte de Sejour under the withdrawal agreement has now gone !! So to get one now is very difficult

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I will watch this with interest. I think the EU have missed a huge opportunity. Just over 17 million Brits voted remain , add in dependents and it exceeds 20 million. That’s more than a number of EU countries. If they reached out and offered an EU passport, say a ten year one for £500, I would buy one. They get billions, we retain the right to travel and spend in the EU.

By *eachcplCouple  over a year ago

blackpool/preston/normandy france

From what friends have said when they have come to France since 1st January their passports have been date stamped on arrival and again on going back to the UK, so the immigration authorities are aware of the number of days you have been in the country. Don't know if other EU member states are doing the same but if they are then 90 days can be calculated from the date stamps and there is a serious chance you will be turned away if you try to enter the EU state having exceeded the limits.

Ashford and dept16

Yes there are definitely date stamping and you are right if the apply that to checks you would be in hot water. Hence our interest in long visa either 6 months or 12 months €99.00 per person and of course your insurance.

If you can travel back and purchase cover for say 3 months at a time it would be more affordable insurance wise but if not bite the bullet we guess.

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

Just spoken with our neighbour

The 6 month visa is alot more affordable.

It was the insurance costs that hurt, but they have had health issues.only other issue for them was they couldn't rent out their gites or work in France as part of the 1 year agreement .They are in for the long haul next year with cds and carte vitale etc,

Ashford and dept16

Yes the insurance will be the main cost we think. We will start investigating this weekend. Also need to check the medication situation as we will need to get our prescriptions via Uk.

"Hi we don't really want to be full residents we just want to find a route to legally work around staying in france for a longer period without concern over visiting canarie Islands during the dark winter months. So spring through to September really. "

Even if you are legally resident in France the 90 day rule still applies to any other European stays. They are monitoring stays at passport control now.

"Yes there are definitely date stamping and you are right if the apply that to checks you would be in hot water. Hence our interest in long visa either 6 months or 12 months €99.00 per person and of course your insurance.

If you can travel back and purchase cover for say 3 months at a time it would be more affordable insurance wise but if not bite the bullet we guess."

But the visa would be specific to France only - you still couldn’t spend more than 90 days at a time elsewhere.

By *woppairCouple  over a year ago

NOW living France

"Yes there are definitely date stamping and you are right if the apply that to checks you would be in hot water. Hence our interest in long visa either 6 months or 12 months €99.00 per person and of course your insurance.

If you can travel back and purchase cover for say 3 months at a time it would be more affordable insurance wise but if not bite the bullet we guess.

But the visa would be specific to France only - you still couldn’t spend more than 90 days at a time elsewhere."

By *woppairCouple  over a year ago

NOW living France

Sorry that's wrong 90 days within the Schengen and then you have to apply for visa extension

By *exy BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde

Date stamping is the norm for travel from the UK to EU countries. The 90 day rule applies to total time spent in EU countries, you can't mix and match your trips.

Listened to a Radio Four chat the other day. Many people haven't had their passport stamped, in error. That means you have to explain your "long-term" stay as it appears you have not left or arrived at different countries during your journey and might get refused entry at your chosen destination...!

I'm really interested in talk of this long term (6 and 12 month) visa.

Can anyone provide a link to an official site that deals with this please...?

Agde

Following on from my last post above...

Are people talking about a Schengen visa..?

If so, it would be as a tourist, which still only gives you the same 90 days in 180....

"Date stamping is the norm for travel from the UK to EU countries. The 90 day rule applies to total time spent in EU countries, you can't mix and match your trips.

Listened to a Radio Four chat the other day. Many people haven't had their passport stamped, in error. That means you have to explain your "long-term" stay as it appears you have not left or arrived at different countries during your journey and might get refused entry at your chosen destination...!

I'm really interested in talk of this long term (6 and 12 month) visa.

Can anyone provide a link to an official site that deals with this please...?"

You need to look at Government site for the country you want to apply for a visa to. Then you have to apply via their Embassy in U.K.

Agde

We're talking about a visa to visit France, so a link would be great.

Thanks..

Ashford and dept16

Hi everyone we have taken this wording from the French Gov site.https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa.

any stay in France exceeding 90 days, you are required to apply in advance for a long-stay vis. In this instance your nationality does not exempt you from requirements.

Whatever the duration of your planned stay, the duration of your long-stay visa must be between three months and one year. In order to extend your stay beyond the period of validity of your visa, you must apply for a residence permit at a prefecture.

During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa.

We have read this as we can still go to other Schengen countries such as GC as long as we do not exceed 90 days in that country. Does anyone read it differently?

"Hi everyone we have taken this wording from the French Gov site.https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa.

any stay in France exceeding 90 days, you are required to apply in advance for a long-stay vis. In this instance your nationality does not exempt you from requirements.

Whatever the duration of your planned stay, the duration of your long-stay visa must be between three months and one year. In order to extend your stay beyond the period of validity of your visa, you must apply for a residence permit at a prefecture.

During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa.

We have read this as we can still go to other Schengen countries such as GC as long as we do not exceed 90 days in that country. Does anyone read it differently?

"

my understanding is it is 90 days within Schengen countries , that is a total.of 90 days.eg 30 days france, 30 days Spain, 30 days portugal , visa used up

Ashford and dept16

Its a long term visa e.g. 12 months so that doesn't seem right to me as we would could be in France for 180 days with no issue?

By *airyjMan  over a year ago

dumfries and 24 in France

Having just received my French Residency Permit, this thread is very informative, especially as the intention, eventually, hopefully, is to motorhome round Italy, Greece and the some of the Balkans. Many thanks to all contributors. xx

"Its a long term visa e.g. 12 months so that doesn't seem right to me as we would could be in France for 180 days with no issue?"
because France grants a visa for you to remain in France , it cannot grant you a Visa that allows you to stay in Spain for example above your 90 days allowance, if France grants you a long term visa , that is for France only , the post brexit rules on other countries within the EU still apply.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"France grants a visa [or Carte de Séjour] for you to remain [or live and work] in France , it cannot grant you a Visa that allows you to stay in Spain for example above your 90 days allowance... post brexit rules on other countries within the EU still apply"

Pretty much my understanding too, for travel throughout the rest of Europe a total of only 90 days in any six-month period. And as far as I'm aware, French CDJ is still possible, but whereas before 31 December 2020 you could start the ball rolling online and go to the Prefecture for finger-printing at the last stage (I applied in October 2020 and got "Séjour Permanent Toutes Activités Professionelles" in September this year, valid for ten years), new applicants now have to start the ball rolling with personal application to the Prefecture.

Ashford and dept16

Thanks for all your input guess we will need to do the math but if need be we will leave France in time to start a new 90 over the winter.

For health cover maybe look at a card that offers you health cover aboard as part of their package .

T

Ashford and dept16

Thats interesting do you mean a credit or bankers card? Thought those covers were for maximum of 1 month holidays?

"Thats interesting do you mean a credit or bankers card? Thought those covers were for maximum of 1 month holidays?"

Alas I’m a bloke so I’m not an expert but this is what my wife does as a business here and she just mentioned about the card medical cover.

T

By *ristolSteve911Man  over a year ago

Bristol

I have paid an extra fee (£120) to extend my Nationwide Flexaccount world wide medical cover to 92 days in any single trip, so I can travel anywhere in the world for up to 92 days return to Uk then fly off to another destination for 92 days, plus European breakdown cover for my Motorhome but I would probably need to pay a fee to extend from standard 30 day cover.

Currently paying £13.00 a month for all cover plus the extra £120 a year for extended medical cover.

"I have paid an extra fee (£120) to extend my Nationwide Flexaccount world wide medical cover to 92 days in any single trip, so I can travel anywhere in the world for up to 92 days return to Uk then fly off to another destination for 92 days, plus European breakdown cover for my Motorhome but I would probably need to pay a fee to extend from standard 30 day cover.

Currently paying £13.00 a month for all cover plus the extra £120 a year for extended medical cover."

I think if you read the small print the 92 days cover will only be valid depending on the rules in force - eg 90/180 days in Europe.

By *ristolSteve911Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Yes I realise that but 92 days was the maximum on offer in one trip worldwide plus in an emergency if flight cancelled etc gives cover.

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

yes we would buy an EU passport if it meant we could travel freely

"yes we would buy an EU passport if it meant we could travel freely"

How would you do that?

My understanding is that to get a passport for a country within the EU you need to live there, pay taxes and meet the criteria as demanded for citizenship (in the case of France).

Can you simply buy a passport somewhere?

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

"I will watch this with interest. I think the EU have missed a huge opportunity. Just over 17 million Brits voted remain , add in dependents and it exceeds 20 million. That’s more than a number of EU countries. If they reached out and offered an EU passport, say a ten year one for £500, I would buy one. They get billions, we retain the right to travel and spend in the EU."

Thats exactly my thoughts well said. I know people who had places in france and spain who voted for brexit and now regret it as now can only spend the 90 days in 180 total idiots. Everything was going fine.

By *esFranceMan  over a year ago

France

Just got my Carte De Sejour through yesterday not as easy as some make out but not to hard really only need to prove over 5 years living in France (bank details, house insurance, driving licence, phone bills, gas/elec bills so no real drama

Happy now for next 5 years xxxx

By *owel CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Living in South of France

"Just got my Carte De Sejour through yesterday not as easy as some make out but not to hard really only need to prove over 5 years living in France (bank details, house insurance, driving licence, phone bills, gas/elec bills so no real drama

Happy now for next 5 years xxxx"

Try looking at the end date! You might be happier for 10.

By *esFranceMan  over a year ago

France

nope 24/10/2026 that will do for now sure it will be easy to extend cheers Les xxx

"yes we would buy an EU passport if it meant we could travel freely

How would you do that?

My understanding is that to get a passport for a country within the EU you need to live there, pay taxes and meet the criteria as demanded for citizenship (in the case of France).

Can you simply buy a passport somewhere?"

Yes quite a few countries offer passports and citizenship if you have enough money (1million plus). How do you think all the Russians manage it?

"nope 24/10/2026 that will do for now sure it will be easy to extend cheers Les xxx "

If you had proof of residence for 5 years you are eligible for a 10 year cds and so then can live elsewhere for 2 years without losing residence.

"yes we would buy an EU passport if it meant we could travel freely

How would you do that?

Can you simply buy a passport somewhere?

Yes quite a few countries offer passports and citizenship if you have enough money (1million plus). How do you think all the Russians manage it? "

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

"

If you had proof of residence for 5 years you are eligible for a 10 year cds and so then can live elsewhere for 2 years without losing residence."

Didn’t know that..!

Ashford and dept16

"I have paid an extra fee (£120) to extend my Nationwide Flexaccount world wide medical cover to 92 days in any single trip, so I can travel anywhere in the world for up to 92 days return to Uk then fly off to another destination for 92 days, plus European breakdown cover for my Motorhome but I would probably need to pay a fee to extend from standard 30 day cover.

Currently paying £13.00 a month for all cover plus the extra £120 a year for extended medical cover."

Thanks for that info we shall visit the Nationwide had an account for years never check for travel insurance

By *avidAndJaneCouple  over a year ago

Brittany, Dept 22 France & Colchester

[Removed by poster at 19/12/21 13:45:33]

[Removed by poster at 19/12/21 13:47:07]

"Just spoken with our neighbour

The 6 month visa is alot more affordable.

It was the insurance costs that hurt, but they have had health issues.only other issue for them was they couldn't rent out their gites or work in France as part of the 1 year agreement .They are in for the long haul next year with cds and carte vitale etc,

"

France accepts a GHIC (EHIC) as health insurance for the six month visa. You will also need travel insurance to cover repatriation of you or your body.

The six month visa is probably the best choice for most Brits wanting to spend an extended period in France. You can also use your 90/180 visa free allowance so easily spend the majority fo the year in France. You do have to nominate the date that you want to enter France & the six months will start from that date.

"Just got my Carte De Sejour through yesterday not as easy as some make out but not to hard really only need to prove over 5 years living in France (bank details, house insurance, driving licence, phone bills, gas/elec bills so no real drama

Happy now for next 5 years xxxx"

our préfecture have not abided by the Withdrawal Agreement. The only documents you were obliged to provide for those who have been resident in France over five years was proof of residence over five years ago eg utility bill then proof of residence now eg a utility bill plus your passport as proof of identity.

For those with under five years residence they needed to provide proof of residence eg utility bill, proof of income at least €830/month for a household, lastly proof of healthcare coverage eg attestations des droits from Ameli or private health insurance.

By *iam4Man  over a year ago

Chiswick

I have got a 6 month Visa. Bit of a faff but only £85 odd.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Difference between five-year and ten-year Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permits (Cartes de Séjour Accord de Retrait du Royaume-Uni de l’Union Européenne):

A five-year CdJ obliges a physical presence in France for a minimum of 183 days of each of those first five years to remain ‘legally resident’. Some special circumstances allow you to be absent for longer e.g. serious illness or a work posting in another country.

If a ten-year CdJ has been granted you have PERMANENT right to remain, but the card itself must be replaced after ten years to update photographs and personal information. I’m under the impression that with a ‘permanent’ Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit you can leave France and live elsewhere for up to five years without losing your residency rights, but can’t for the moment find something ‘official’.

If you’re issued a five-year Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit you can request your ten-year ‘permanent’ one after five years of ‘legal residence’.

"

If you’re issued a five-year Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit you can request your ten-year ‘permanent’ one after five years of ‘legal residence’."

With any luck UK will be back in EU in under 10 years, hopefully as soon as 5.

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

The biggest obstacle to the UK returning would be the mandatory acceptance of the Euro.

And for that reason only, it won't happen.

By *eachcplCouple  over a year ago

blackpool/preston/normandy france

It will never happen. All those who believed the lies that were told and then voted to leave will have to live with the consequences for ever

How many 6 month visas can you get or are they not limited?…

» Add a new message to this topic