FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Site help > Inaccurate photos reporting?

Inaccurate photos reporting?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    42 weeks ago

Hi, it’s a touchy subject but I was thinking - could we have a feature for discreetly reporting that a user has inaccurate, misleading or outdated photos on their profile?

Perhaps that could trigger a polite message from admin reminding users to always have photos that are recent and a true representation of themselves?

I’ve had a few meets where the person clearly does not look like their photos. Often they’ are decades older, or their figure is nothing like that shown on their profile. It’s not a nice experience and is quite an unpleasant situation to be in - it feels like being catfished.

I’m not one to hurt others feelings so I’ve always kept quiet about it - but having the reporting feature might be a good way of preventing such future incidents for others?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple 42 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we've all turned up to a meet social or otherwise and been surprised by how the person looks in comparison to their photos.

If they're using pictures of other people altogether there's an option to report that but I'm not sure how admin would check that someone is using out of date shots.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple 42 weeks ago

Reading

So long as a person is using photos of themselves and not someone else we'd say it's entirely up to them how they manage their photos. Perhaps a way around your quandary would be to ask for a date stamped pic before you agree to meet?

By *icecouple561Couple 42 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"So long as a person is using photos of themselves and not someone else we'd say it's entirely up to them how they manage their photos. Perhaps a way around your quandary would be to ask for a date stamped pic before you agree to meet?"

I agree to an extent but it's awkward and disappointing to turn up and find people ten years older and of a very different body type than depicted on a profile.

"So long as a person is using photos of themselves and not someone else we'd say it's entirely up to them how they manage their photos. Perhaps a way around your quandary would be to ask for a date stamped pic before you agree to meet?"

It could be a requirement for profiles to verify themselves with date stamped photos, once a year - just as they have to do with their username on their first photo verification.

By *imisugarWoman 42 weeks ago

Rugby

"So long as a person is using photos of themselves and not someone else we'd say it's entirely up to them how they manage their photos. Perhaps a way around your quandary would be to ask for a date stamped pic before you agree to meet?

It could be a requirement for profiles to verify themselves with date stamped photos, once a year - just as they have to do with their username on their first photo verification."

But your own public photos fall foul of your requirement of others.

I feel this is on you not taking the time to video chat with someone prior to a meet. Not judging you on liking what you like. No one wants to be deceived but when there is a very simple way to ascertain accuracy yourself. Potentially utilise it rather than push responsibility onto the website.

"So long as a person is using photos of themselves and not someone else we'd say it's entirely up to them how they manage their photos. Perhaps a way around your quandary would be to ask for a date stamped pic before you agree to meet?

It could be a requirement for profiles to verify themselves with date stamped photos, once a year - just as they have to do with their username on their first photo verification.

I feel this is on you not taking the time to video chat with someone prior to a meet. Not judging you on liking what you like. No one wants to be deceived but when there is a very simple way to ascertain accuracy yourself. Potentially utilise it rather than push responsibility onto the website. "

Using your logic you could say that sites don’t have any responsibility for anything at all.

By *idden Gem69Woman 42 weeks ago

north lanarkshire

It could be a requirement for profiles to verify themselves with date stamped photos, once a year - just as they have to do with their username on their first photo verification."

Theres a guy who uses the same photos everytime he deletes and makes a new profile, has been using the same photos since i first encountered him on here about 14 years ago... how would date stamping a photo get round this?

Reading

I feel this is on you not taking the time to video chat with someone prior to a meet. Not judging you on liking what you like. No one wants to be deceived but when there is a very simple way to ascertain accuracy yourself. Potentially utilise it rather than push responsibility onto the website. "

Agree with this 100%.

By *oItForYorkshireCouple 42 weeks ago

Yorkshire

Some people have been on here for yearsss and a lot (particularly on the forums) are ‘known’ for a certain profile picture.

Maybe they aren’t particularly looking to meet but I do agree that if they are agreeing to meet they should give you a recent photo

By *imisugarWoman 42 weeks ago

Rugby

I feel this is on you not taking the time to video chat with someone prior to a meet. Not judging you on liking what you like. No one wants to be deceived but when there is a very simple way to ascertain accuracy yourself. Potentially utilise it rather than push responsibility onto the website.

Using your logic you could say that sites don’t have any responsibility for anything at all."

Not at all. Fab doesn't force anyone to meet- they facilitate a service. If you can't get people thoroughly yourself - why should a website take the blame for that?

Easily avoided if you went to clubs, you'd be physically seeing them in person for the first time.

Also you didn't answer why your photos are over a year old yet you expect people to have more recent ones.

By *entle_lover_xMan 42 weeks ago

Great Dunmow

This would be a minefield and easily abused, much like negative verifications. Who is to say if a photo is misleading? Most of us try to take pics that flattering and people can look different from pic to pic so always a slight lottery meeting people in real life. If it matters so much then need to use your own judgement on veris, look of the pics (old ones can be very obvious), whether filters and of course if you are really worried ask for live pics on a chat app or video call.

I guess possible Fab could employ staff and have more strict verification of people and checking of pics but then we would all have to pay a lot more.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 42 weeks ago

Central

Every new imposition on users would likely require increased Fab workload. As a free site, it's unlikely to be able to continue this way, if greater levels of user control are implemented.

We do each have to take personal responsibility for how we use the site, including who we engage with and how we do it. Taking extra time to get to know others is probably always better than skimping on reasonable checks etc.

If you find that your results are consistently different to your preferences, it's essential to learn and adjust as you continue. Sure, suggesting adjustments to the site is essential but as a free site, we're not going to be getting as much changed, compared to if we all paid and paid a bit more. User levels would decrease and many would prefer to have the increased choice, that a free site brings.

By *ellinever70Woman 42 weeks ago

Ayrshire

I suspect this would prove tricky for those that upload black and white pics or use shadows and lighting

Great Dunmow

"I suspect this would prove tricky for those that upload black and white pics or use shadows and lighting "

This is why I only ever meet with the lights off or dimmed right down

By *alcon43Woman 42 weeks ago

Paisley

I have had the same profile pic for years but I also have recent pics of face and body on my profile.

I’ve also had my pics used for fake profiles on Fab and other sites but friends have been good enough to met me know.

I do have a gripe about old photos and single profiles where it shows mainly someone else in the shot, usually guys with females so you don’t really see the guy.

I was catfished on PoF years ago so I always ask for a recent pic.

Reading

"I suspect this would prove tricky for those that upload black and white pics or use shadows and lighting

This is why I only ever meet with the lights off or dimmed right down "

That made us LOL - Nice one

By *lueDressWoman 42 weeks ago

Bath

I always do a video call if the many conversations get to the point where we would meet face to face.That way we can scrutinise one another and make our minds up that way.

By *ugby 123Couple 42 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

We used to video call people before we met them, that way there is no suprises on either side.

By *ucka39Man 42 weeks ago

Newcastle

I myself think it's up to the individual party, to do their own little bit of work to clarify whom they are meeting rather than feeling disappointed later. The site has done it's part of providing a service others to engage...

Great Dunmow

Video call is an interesting one. I never do alone or with partner and have very rarely been asked over the years. They are also susceptible to misrepresentation good and bad. Many look awful in video compared to real life with poor camera and angle. Others look great with proper lighting. However these days also got to be wary of filters which are becoming more and more standard as AI develops. It is already possible to drastically fake live video (look at Tik Tok live filters) and will become standard very soon. Anyone remember the Zoom court hearing in US where one of the lawyers accidentally had a fox filter on and couldn’t turn it off? .

» Add a new message to this topic