FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Electricians assemble

Electricians assemble

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rmrs1234 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Not my usual kind of post and apologies but any electricians that may be able to help. Our shower kept tripping when we were in the shower so we replaced it there today as the old one was a couple of years old. However himself hopped in there this evening and the switch still tripped. any ideas.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

€100 call out

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

This might help

https://www.simonportillo.co.uk/rcd-tripping/

Waterford

ugh my brain hurts and i was really looking forward to my spa night.

Waterford

"This might help

https://www.simonportillo.co.uk/rcd-tripping/"

thanks BM ill get himself to have a look but id say im going to have to get an electrician in oh joy

By *igguy300Man  over a year ago

town

Most likely the spring in the trip switch is on its last legs guys, most commonfault with electric showers. Cheap enough repair. Ask an electrician to pop in a new switch before trying anything else as its the cheapest option....

Waterford

"Most likely the spring in the trip switch is on its last legs guys, most commonfault with electric showers. Cheap enough repair. Ask an electrician to pop in a new switch before trying anything else as its the cheapest option...."

great thanks. now the hunt begins for the electrician lol

town

If you don't get any joy let me know im in the game myself and know a few sparks down that direction it may of may not be of help.

By *he SophisticatsCouple  over a year ago

York

Same happened to me a couple of years ago.... changed the shower unit (was old anyway), put new shower unit in and still tripped. Discovered then that the power switch on the wall outside was the problem!

After spending almost 200 on a new shower all it took was a 13€ wall switch! Lol

Waterford

"Same happened to me a couple of years ago.... changed the shower unit (was old anyway), put new shower unit in and still tripped. Discovered then that the power switch on the wall outside was the problem!

After spending almost 200 on a new shower all it took was a 13€ wall switch! Lol "

I know. i just spent a feckin fortune on that new shower as well. Im more pissed i cant have my spa night right now than anything else. got my priorties straight there lol

Waterford

"If you don't get any joy let me know im in the game myself and know a few sparks down that direction it may of may not be of help. "

great. thanks a mill x

town

Nothing worse usually a decent electrician will start with the rcd and work they're way back to try and save the customer some money.

Waterford

"Nothing worse usually a decent electrician will start with the rcd and work they're way back to try and save the customer some money. "

its a pain in the butt. with the shower i can have all the kids done in no time but with baths it takes an age. first world problem i know

town

May be worth a shot to keep himself at the breaker and switch it on every time it trips. Just don't keep it held on as when it trips it may emit a shock if his hand is on it lol.

Waterford

whats weird is on the old shower (i havent tried it with the new one) if the water is on say just warm as opposed to hot the switch didnt trip he was in the shower this evening maybe about 5 mins or so and it tripped (he had the water on just above warm (he doesnt like hot showers)

By *he SophisticatsCouple  over a year ago

York

"whats weird is on the old shower (i havent tried it with the new one) if the water is on say just warm as opposed to hot the switch didnt trip he was in the shower this evening maybe about 5 mins or so and it tripped (he had the water on just above warm (he doesnt like hot showers)"

It really does sound like my issue, the power switch is tripping

Check your fuse board you may have a couple of high power cables touching off one another causing the insulation on the cable to melt causing a short the circuit. This would be easily visible once the cover has been removed. Failing that ... it could be a faulty mcb or an earth leak. A spark should quicky identify the problem and fix it... which is what u pay the money for i guess.

Best of luck anyway

By *onny17Man  over a year ago

irishtown

Its hard to tell to be honest without being able to do a few tests to rule it out being the shower. It's most likely a rcd needed or else thermostat in shower gone.

"Most likely the spring in the trip switch is on its last legs guys, most commonfault with electric showers. Cheap enough repair. Ask an electrician to pop in a new switch before trying anything else as its the cheapest option...."

Its impossible to get a good sparks these days

Waterford

electric stuff is scrambling my brain now lol

By *anFromMarsMan  over a year ago

North

Sounds like a faulty rcd (switch for shower in MCB board) but could be a neutral to earth fault either, often happens at the pull cord or wall mounted switch where the cable insulation has gotten damaged and is shorting to earth

Waterford

Thanks everyone. Will try find an electrician tomorrow x

I wonder did you get the same size shower as I’m kw? Sounds like it might have tripped on overload if it worked for 5 mins!

As in*

Theres probably to much draw on the line or your cable to the shower could be damaged or a loose cable inside

Waterford

"I wonder did you get the same size shower as I’m kw? Sounds like it might have tripped on overload if it worked for 5 mins!"

same kw. I checked before buying it. its probably one of the two things everyone has mentioned so i guess ill have to see what the electrician says

Damn Switches be Trippin’

Sparks here...The RCBO is probably going faulty. Or a loose connection/breakdown of a cable causing an increase in current drawn and trippin’ the switch

Have you tried getting a roll of tinfoil and bridging out the switch. Much cheeper than getting an electrician to look at it.

Their call out charges are shocking

Kaizer has an image of RECI certified Superheros

» Add a new message to this topic