Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *usyatminMan  over a year ago

Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and Carlow

"Thanks for the memories big man "

Indeed. RIP

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

RIP Jack, you brought so much happiness to Irish soccer supporters, brought us to tournaments we had never been at before, created memories that are still so fondly remembered even today, and brought huge joy and excitement to an entire nation. What a man!

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

The father of modern ireland, brought a level of happiness to this country at the same time as people began to turn their back on the church.

Time for a statue for him.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Legend of a man

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Rip Jack gave us great memories

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

RIP big jack.....thanks for some fantastic memories

RIP big lad, met him fishing on the boyne once 20 odd years ago

By *artender_onthelooseMan  over a year ago

Dublin

RIP Big Jack Legend!

Best of childhood memories

Put Irish football on the

Map some memorable wins teams hated playing us!

The walkinstown roundabout went wild haha

By *B 4099Man  over a year ago

North West, Outer Letterkenny area

Big Jack the Legend. May he rest in peace. Great days as a young fella watching the BIG and Ireland all together as a country and the craic was mighty

By *addubMan  over a year ago

dublin. 12

RIP Jack a true legend.

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

Jackie's Army

By *ildmovementMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Such good nights watching Ireland play under him. May he RIP.

By *idan murphyMan  over a year ago

dungarvan

He gave us great times and great memories a legend

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

RIP.

R.I.P

Legend

Memoral wins and even more Memoral draws

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"RIP Big Jack Legend!

Best of childhood memories

Put Irish football on the

Map some memorable wins teams hated playing us!

The walkinstown roundabout went wild haha"

Im in that famous video

By *andytownMan  over a year ago

Gods Own Country

Rest easy big man

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

RIP Jack. A great man

Sad news

A legend of a man

"Thanks for the memories big man "

One of my earliest memories is being obsessed with Put 'em Under Pressure in 1990. RIP

By *ohng69Man  over a year ago

athenry

What a legend. He did so much good for the mood of the nation at the time and I have such great memories of his time here.

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

Absolute legend it came as a bit of a shock the man was a great manager especially for us damn he gave us some historic moments RIP Jack Charlton

Many a pub was full, many a pint was spilled, we laughed we cryed we roared and cheered thank for the memory's big Jack for making a nation hold its breath. R. I. P

Ps tell the angels up there not to loose the ball in their own half.

A little bit of my childhood died when I was told Santa didn't exist the rest of it died when I heard Jack was gone......I'm off to do my taxes

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

didnt like his long ball hit in hope tactics but still a legend of Irish football

"didnt like his long ball hit in hope tactics but still a legend of Irish football "

Ah, another football purist!! Like many of the irish pundits around that time, none of whom had achieved anything at all with Ireland.

You're not old enough to remember it to not like it, but I'll tell you who else didn't like it at the time England, Italy, Holland, Denmark (European champions at the time) and Germany.

You cut your cloth accordingly and when you've Tony Cascarino and Niall Quinn as target men it's disrespectful to call it long ball hit and hope. His team could play, make no mistake about that, and I'd call it tactical to utilise your strengths and highlight the oppositions weaknesses. But it suited the English and Irish pundits of the time with their own agenda to tar them with that brush.

Incidentally I was in Windsor Park the night Alan McLaughlin scored a late equaliser to take Ireland to USA 94 and it hadn't been for results elsewhere that night the famous victory over Italy would never have happened. Big Jack said some things he shouldnt have before that game and I'm sure when he walkes out to the atmosphere that night he wished he hadn't as it almost backfired.

I was just happy to get out alive that night, N Ireland put on a great show and didn't lose and somehow ROI didn't win but still qualified!!

Win win!

By *appytoadsCouple  over a year ago

West Dublin

Lucky enough to be at the Egyptian and Dutch games in Italy and the 4 games in US, with my dad. Great memories for us both. RIP big Jack

"didnt like his long ball hit in hope tactics but still a legend of Irish football "

Yeah I am sure the 9 year old you was really irritated by it lmao...

I think a nation holds its breath is my first really clear childhood memory

"Lucky enough to be at the Egyptian and Dutch games in Italy and the 4 games in US, with my dad. Great memories for us both. RIP big Jack "

Unreal. You can not put a price on that. He made that happen for a whole nation.

louth

"didnt like his long ball hit in hope tactics but still a legend of Irish football

Ah, another football purist!! Like many of the irish pundits around that time, none of whom had achieved anything at all with Ireland.

You're not old enough to remember it to not like it, but I'll tell you who else didn't like it at the time England, Italy, Holland, Denmark (European champions at the time) and Germany.

You cut your cloth accordingly and when you've Tony Cascarino and Niall Quinn as target men it's disrespectful to call it long ball hit and hope. His team could play, make no mistake about that, and I'd call it tactical to utilise your strengths and highlight the oppositions weaknesses. But it suited the English and Irish pundits of the time with their own agenda to tar them with that brush.

Incidentally I was in Windsor Park the night Alan McLaughlin scored a late equaliser to take Ireland to USA 94 and it hadn't been for results elsewhere that night the famous victory over Italy would never have happened. Big Jack said some things he shouldnt have before that game and I'm sure when he walkes out to the atmosphere that night he wished he hadn't as it almost backfired.

I was just happy to get out alive that night, N Ireland put on a great show and didn't lose and somehow ROI didn't win but still qualified!!

Win win! "

It was dour football..its like he realised that the Irish were very poor technically with ball at feet..and it was hit and hope the 2 big guys up front got a head on it to nick a goal then blanket defence.. that's the type of football a poor team plays..they other teams you mentioned were annoyed at this because they wanted to play an attractive passing game with silky skills..the long ball was the right thing to do but it wont always work and it was found out in the end..some fantastic memories though..

"didnt like his long ball hit in hope tactics but still a legend of Irish football

Win win!

It was dour football..its like he realised that the Irish were very poor technically with ball at feet..and it was hit and hope the 2 big guys up front got a head on it to nick a goal then blanket defence.. that's the type of football a poor team plays..they other teams you mentioned were annoyed at this because they wanted to play an attractive passing game with silky skills..the long ball was the right thing to do but it wont always work and it was found out in the end..some fantastic memories though.."

Poor team?? You guys had some of the best midfield players of their generation in top flight English football. Ronnie whelan, Ray Houghton, Andy Townshend, Roy Keane. And players at the back that could play, mcgrath, irwin, sheedy just off the top of my head. There was certainly no hit and hope.

Football is a game of opinions and everything and all tactics come full circle. In my opinion you cut your cloth accordingly and Ireland had 2 big guys up front that international defences everywhere struggled with. Why not play to your strengths?

Italy and Germany have won countless World cups playing "dour" football as you call it. Yet when the Italians score 1 goal by whatever means necessary and shut up shop they are lauded as clinical and tactically astute. Don't belittle your own jusy as Brady and Dunphy etc all did at the time. You clearly don't recall some of the West German/German teams tactics at major championships and no one labels them as dour.

By *ealitybites OP   Man  over a year ago

Belfast

Speaking of opinions, how about showing a bit of respect to the great man without dragging yet another non confrontational thread into a great debate.

A well respected and adored man has passed away.

Leave your condolences and move on.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Speaking of opinions, how about showing a bit of respect to the great man without dragging yet another non confrontational thread into a great debate.

Leave your condolences and move on. "

"Speaking of opinions, how about showing a bit of respect to the great man without dragging yet another non confrontational thread into a great debate.

No one's disputing that. But when belittles the manner of his achievements in a less than informed manner it's disrespectful to him memory.

louth

Its not a personal attack on the man himself but more his tactics that all

By *ornyandwellhungMan  over a year ago

belfast

RIP big Jack

Questioning the man's methods a day after his passing and decades after he brought this nation to heights we'd never been before is downright ridiculous and terrible taste.

RIP Jack you legend

Thank you so much for Italia 90 and USA 94. You cannot put a price on those memories!

By *eb66Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Best nite ever in rumours and magnums with irish team drinking ,,dancing,,and chasing

Great memories

Thanks jack

By *ocoWEXMan  over a year ago

Chester

I was just a kid when there was Italia 90 at home. It was the first time I saw the Irish flag and the men in green running after the ball.

I remember asking myself "But do they also play football?"

And do they have a flag similar to the Italian one?

Then Come on Ireland !! Go!!

Then Trapattoni arrived and now I am here. You can thank the Lord or Saint Patrick if you prefer.

Jokes aside, Charlton, like his brother, was a great person, who knew what sacrifice, respect and honor mean.

It Will be greatly missed.

By *andman61Man  over a year ago

hereford

Jack played and managed in a very different eras

When I looked at his playing record With Leeds

I was more than surprised to see just how many goals he scored

A true Great of the Game

Will be sadly missed

God bless you Big Jack!!!

Thanks for bringing the big one home for us in 66

N xxx

By *jallMan  over a year ago

Cork/Sligo

Leave your condolences and move on.

"

Yes, well said. Just look back at the Italia 90 quarter final against the hosts. Played great football, we had skilled players

Loads of Happy memories, RIP big man....going to the matches,nights out in Waterford,happy times when a country learned to be proud of itself

» Add a new message to this topic