FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > You travel you loose your Covid 19 Payments

You travel you loose your Covid 19 Payments

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sLittleRedRidingHood OP   Woman  over a year ago

Magical Forrest

104 people have travelled and have lost their payments.

Social welfare officers at the airport checking those that travel.

Has the state gone mad,or are they right to take these measures??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Seen a post online making a good point a lot of people on covid are out of work for no other reason than covid, not long term unemployed claiming benefits, they may have a holiday booked since last year and if they don't go they lose the money. And their money is to be stopped if they go away.

The government won't stop travel as if they do the airlines will want reimbursement so easier to let the ordinary people lose their money.

I have family abroad and would love to go see them but have been "advised" not to travel, of I travel I have to take two weeks unpaid leave , even though I could work from home and self isolate.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

If you're not available for work?... I know you can be getting other social welfare payments, and are allowed holiday time. Perhaps they're targetting people who are claiming, while living in other countries.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

In the 80's I was on the dole for a couple of months and was able to go on holiday for 2 weeks with my savings and I also got paid by the dole

Now people who through no fault of their own have no work and are getting €350 a week from the government and if they can afford to go away for 2 weeks then they should be paid

I don't have a problem with that as long as they follow the travel advise about the green list

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

If they only were that thorough conrolling tourists coming into the country...

It the usual two sets of rules apply and divide and conquer tactics.

Anyway can't see my folks on the continent because of quarantine and being on covid-19 payment, can't afford to loose it.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Typical. Any reason to take money off of people.

Nobody on Covid payment is on it by choice. They've been working and paying their taxes up until the government told them they can't work anymore.

God forbid there might be some ray of light in their lives after months of upheaval and worry.

Its a good question OP. On the one hand you have people who are on covid through no fault of their own and losing the payment seems harsh. But there are those who are getting the payment who have a choice with regards to work. If a family/ person has a holiday booked since Jan or Feb( when lots do book up), then that seems very harsh and unfair.Dont forget its not so long ago that there was a plane full of people who had applied for pup were returning to Eastern Europe whilst covid lasted.As someone else pointed out, the pup payment is for those who want to but cant get back to work. Are you available to work if you are on holiday??. Im currently off work due having had an operation and not entitled to pup.

By *murphMan  over a year ago

drogheda

This government has gone mad we not allowed travel but it ok for ferries to take camper vans and caravans from uk and airlines to take Americans from virus hot spots in to the country where is the joined up thinking also €16000 euro rise for super junior ministers that sit at meetings with no vote if rights did me hole Martin not learn anything from haughty and Ahern era the again where did he learn it lol

somewhere

As far as I know ( its a bit confusing ) they now have cut the job seekers payment to people going on holidays now also

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"As far as I know ( its a bit confusing ) they now have cut the job seekers payment to people going on holidays now also "

I thought that jobseekers was replaced by the corvid19 payment. I could be wrong.

somewhere

"As far as I know ( its a bit confusing ) they now have cut the job seekers payment to people going on holidays now also

I thought that jobseekers was replaced by the corvid19 payment. I could be wrong. "

No standard jod seekers

(dole) allowed a holiday

Pandemic unemployment payment ( pup) didnt allow a holday

There was that much of an outcry this morning about inspections in the airport that they've cancelled the holiday payment for people on the dole also

Personally I think the government and work are gone power mad.

If you have a hol booked before Covid you are expected to lose 1000's.

Govt publishes a green list but then tells you not to travel there and do everything in their power to put obstacles in your way. Work jumping on the bandwagon. If you were okay to work from home for the past 5 months. Why do you need to take 15 days annual leave for a weeks hols.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

If it was booked before covid and can be proved then yes allowances should be made but if it was booked during covid then you take your chances and lose

By *ore of thatMan  over a year ago

skerries

If you show proof you booked before covid there is no problem .live last year .if you were on unemployment assistance you notified you local welfare office filled in for for the two weeks you were going for and your money was there for you when you got back .. I'm sure still the same

I personally think there is more to this .maybe targeting certain people ... lots of people caught abusing covid payments . One was receiving 3 payments per week

"Personally I think the government and work are gone power mad.

If you have a hol booked before Covid you are expected to lose 1000's.

Govt publishes a green list but then tells you not to travel there and do everything in their power to put obstacles in your way. Work jumping on the bandwagon. If you were okay to work from home for the past 5 months. Why do you need to take 15 days annual leave for a weeks hols. "

Yep I could time my holiday that the 14 days of isolation would only effect 6 days of work which I can do from home but not allowed and it's been hinted will effect future promotion

"If you show proof you booked before covid there is no problem .live last year .if you were on unemployment assistance you notified you local welfare office filled in for for the two weeks you were going for and your money was there for you when you got back .. I'm sure still the same

I personally think there is more to this .maybe targeting certain people ... lots of people caught abusing covid payments . One was receiving 3 payments per week "

Oh way more than one lol

Under normal circumstances, if you are on social welfare, and save up enough to go on holidays, and follow the correct procedures, then there should be no issue with holidays affecting your payment.

However, these aren't normal circumstances. If I leave the country, then my employer will pause my pay for 14 days after I return, as I would be under quaranteen and need to be able to come into work if needed. Even though I can WFH 99% of the time.

At this stage, people should know to check the rules before travelling. However if this wasn't documented anywhere, and just sprung on people as they returned, or if the payments were cancelled completely and not just suspended for 14 days quaranteen then it's pretty scummy.

skerries

Look .I have been lucky enough to be able to afford and go on 2 holidays a year for the last 10 years . Not even considering booking or going abroad this year. I think it's a small price to pay to keep you and your family safe . Surely not having a holiday is not the end of the world .there is always next year

Pay people the payment if they can't work due to covid 19 and let them have their couple of weeks holidays to go wherever they want to go.

Would they rather people stay at home and watch the daisy's grow.

It should be the same as the normal dole or job seekers. Fill out the forms to make sure they are not taking the piss and drive on.

skerries

That what has the UK in the mess they are in .swanning around Europe as if there was no pandemic

Advice is against non essential travel.

When we are so close to eradicating the country of the pandemic, why are so many happy to risk bringing the infection back in

We went abroad on the 4th of June to see our parents I am a single child so my mother she does t have anybody else and went through all the three months of quarantine alone of course soon they lift the restriction I drove over to her with my family to see her. Me and my wife got the unemployed payment stopped on the 10th of June we are on the 27th July now and still no payment, we contacted many people at our local social welfare but nothing just more form to complete. It's absolutely disgusting leave a family of 5 people with no income.

"Advice is against non essential travel.

When we are so close to eradicating the country of the pandemic, why are so many happy to risk bringing the infection back in"

This!!

And how desperate and pathetic and selfish are the masses hanging on waiting for the words "non essential" to be dropped from the advice so they can have their trip abroad.

Have some cop on and responsibility and respect for society as a whole. Surely we can behave like adults and interpret the guidance in a responsible way rather than waiting on a technicality like immature selfish children to justify a holiday if this covid nonsense can be put to bed once and for all.

By *omm000161Man  over a year ago

dublin

[Removed by poster at 28/07/20 02:12:12]

By *omm000161Man  over a year ago

dublin

"Advice is against non essential travel.

When we are so close to eradicating the country of the pandemic, why are so many happy to risk bringing the infectionWhen we are so close to eradicating the country of the pandemic, why are so many happy to risk bringing the infection back in

This!! 

I totally agree. It is being presented that the green list is confusing things; that there are mixed messages.

There is nothing confusing in this.

Do not do any unnecessary travel. A foreign holiday is unnecessary travel."

While I do agree that people should stay at home this year I also think that the govt got this wrong in stopping payments to people who lost their jobs. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Actually this new govt have made so many silly fcuk ups already, I can't see them lasting.

L

Its to stop the spread of this virus. Alot of spain are in lockdown again with alot of people dying again, but yet you're saying its ok to travel to these countries. Fuckin madness

East / North, Cork

It should have been made clear from the outset that people risked their corvid19 payments if they took a foreign holiday. That way it would have acted as a deterant and folks could choose in full awareness of the impact. Its not fair to remove payments from a family without prewarning.

skerries

Your friends in government was probably crying into theircornflakes when told told they were getting 10 per cent pay cut to worry about ordinary people .

But yes cut them off .

I'm sure the underpaid healthcare workers aren't heading off to the sun during a pandemic...

The covid payment is to ensure those businesses and employees that have closed or reduced turnover due to control measures from going out of business or going broke due to being out of work.

If those people are then ignoring the advise not to travel why should we continue to pay them a higher rate than jobseekers?

Now I do think there should be an actual travel ban so those people have a better chance of refunds off the airlines. But if you chose to go on holidays during this I think you should lose the payment.

East / North, Cork

"Your friends in government was probably crying into theircornflakes when told told they were getting 10 per cent pay cut to worry about ordinary people .

But yes cut them off .

I'm sure the underpaid healthcare workers aren't heading off to the sun during a pandemic... "

Take your paranoia to another thread dude rather than taking this one off topic.

skerries

Lol the truth always hurts .mr dianna fail .lol

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Yes, yes agree stay home, avoid non essential travel etc.

Just on a side note: the covid-19 payment isn't that generous that you can book fancy holidays with it, in fact it's barely enough to survive. Of those 104 many might be just like the couple who posted further up and went to see relatives.

somewhere

It turns out now that nobody took a paycut in Government

The old government never took their pay raises for the last few years and Leo took €185,000 as his salary intead of €205,000 that he was officially on.

When the new government came in their salaries automatically started at what it should have been i.e €205,000 but they agreed a 10% cut which brings in back to what the last government was on anyway

Optics

skerries

[Removed by poster at 28/07/20 10:41:08]

skerries

Hope certain people who have posted comments on this are reading these genuine ones ...as for blocking people who dont agree with you comments I for one would not be interested in contacting someone like you with your weird views

East / North, Cork

"It turns out now that nobody took a paycut in Government

The old government never took their pay raises for the last few years and Leo took €185,000 as his salary intead of €205,000 that he was officially on.

When the new government came in their salaries automatically started at what it should have been i.e €205,000 but they agreed a 10% cut which brings in back to what the last government was on anyway

Optics

"

Didn't realise this. It makes it a rather less generous a gesture than previously thought.

East / North, Cork

"Hope certain people who have posted comments on this are reading these genuine ones ...as for blocking people who dont agree with you comments I for one would not be interested in contacting someone like you with your weird views"

I love a lively debate but I'm not sure what enjoyment you get out of getting personal with folks who have different opinions than yourself. Following them around the forums being rude and throwing around (incorrect) accusations etc. It's not a very pleasant way to behave. Address the points in the thread with logic and reason and you will be a whole lot better at this.

skerries

You wouldn't know what the word logic means

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"You wouldn't know what the word logic means"

What are you on about?

By *ashy85Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Would have been so much easier if they just banned travel out of the country

East / North, Cork

"Would have been so much easier if they just banned travel out of the country "

But what about travelling for essential things like for lifesaving medical treatment, or for a business deal that many jobs depended on, etc. I think it made sense to allow travel for limited exceptional cischmstsnces. The guidance says no non-essential travel. The problem is people interpretated that very loosely.

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

"104 people have travelled and have lost their payments.

Social welfare officers at the airport checking those that travel.

Has the state gone mad,or are they right to take these measures?? "

Well in fairness them people shouldn't be going on holiday abroad anyway I wouldn't necessarily take their payments but to suspend it for a week or so there are plenty of staycation places here to go

somewhere

It got worse today and I actually think its outrageous.

A family at the airport in May travelling to Eastern Europe to see family

not on any job seekers or covid payment

However when they got back they lost 2 weeks children's allowance and all perfectly legitimate.

Its turns out anyone with children by law should be telling the dept when they go on holidays or leave the country so it can be stopped.

Has anyone ever done this I doubt it

People living here can claim the irish rate of childrens allowance for children living abroad so everything is fucked up.

"It got worse today and I actually think its outrageous.

However when they got back they lost 2 weeks children's allowance and all perfectly legitimate.

Its turns out anyone with children by law should be telling the dept when they go on holidays or leave the country so it can be stopped.

People living here can claim the irish rate of childrens allowance for children living abroad so everything is fucked up.

"

The children's allowance isn't stopped unless kid is over 16 or 18 you than have to get a letter to state they still in full time education.

(Not sure on the age)

East / North, Cork

"

I wasn't aware of that rule but it makes sense. It's to combat fraud where folks travel to Ireland to claim child benefit (which isn't means tested so claiming is simple).. and then leave the country and watch the cash come in each month while living elsewhere.

somewhere

The children's allowance isn't stopped unless kid is over 16 or 18 you than have to get a letter to state they still in full time education.

(Not sure on the age)

"

I know that DD but their kids were young

It was someone in an office being petty because the dad who works in a law office told a garda that he had no right to question a full queue of people as he had to have a reasonable excuse to question anyone.

He was then asked for his passport and you don't need reasonable excuse to ask that so they wrote down his name and passport

His wife got the letter when they got back

So they connected the dots to stop the allowance

Well it's been announced now that the "vast majority" of people who had their payments cancelled were aiming to leave the country permanently. Dont know any more about the figures than that, but I dont think anyone can argue if that is true

By *ashy85Man  over a year ago

Waterford

"Would have been so much easier if they just banned travel out of the country

But what about travelling for essential things like for lifesaving medical treatment, or for a business deal that many jobs depended on, etc. I think it made sense to allow travel for limited exceptional cischmstsnces. The guidance says no non-essential travel. The problem is people interpretated that very loosely. "

You are right for life saving treatment. Going on a holiday to Spain isn't essential hahaha

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-u-turn-people-on-pandemic-unemployment-payment-to-be-allowed-travel-abroad-for-holidays-39407412.html

It's insanely unfair.

Either everyone is allowed to travel, or nobody is. That should be the approach in my opinion. Not, everyone is allowed to travel except the people on a specific social welfare payment.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

"It's insanely unfair.

Either everyone is allowed to travel, or nobody is. That should be the approach in my opinion. Not, everyone is allowed to travel except the people on a specific social welfare payment. "

Or at least come up with a list of reasons, not guidelines, why people are permitted to travel and why people aren't.

The government are basically just saying you're allowed to travel but we'd rather you didn't.

"It's insanely unfair.

Either everyone is allowed to travel, or nobody is. That should be the approach in my opinion. Not, everyone is allowed to travel except the people on a specific social welfare payment.

Or at least come up with a list of reasons, not guidelines, why people are permitted to travel and why people aren't.

The government are basically just saying you're allowed to travel but we'd rather you didn't."

And but if you're struggling financially and unemployed, we'll punish you.

skerries

Government has just done a upturn on people losing their pup payments if going on holidays .after wonder who makes these crazy decisions .most of them being unable to implement . And they are getting a pay rise for the privilege .10 % ?

Should be 50%.. pay cut ...

Embarrassing or what

Lot of them like eamonn ryan . Not getting enough sleep

"It's insanely unfair.

Either everyone is allowed to travel, or nobody is. That should be the approach in my opinion. Not, everyone is allowed to travel except the people on a specific social welfare payment. "

I dont think it's that black and white. Everyone working has been told that they are not allowed travel since March. And if they do, they loose 2 weeks wages when they come back as they need to be in quaranteen. And if they are unfortunate enough to get Covid while abroad, well no wages or sick pay till 14 days or so after symptoms are gone.

It's only fair that if you're obtaining of social welfare, then your are actively looking for employment, and available to go back to work. And you can't do that when in quaranteen.

"

It's only fair that if you're obtaining of social welfare, then your are actively looking for employment, and available to go back to work. And you can't do that when in quaranteen."

It is absolutely not the case that everyone on the covid payment is it should be looking for work. Many have jobs but are on temporary lay off and can't return to work until their job is back up and running. Others can't go back to work until the schools are back, and remain on lay off until then. They're under no obligation to look for work whatsoever.

It's also not true that everyone who comes home from holidays looses wages for 2 weeks. Many use their annual leave for that 2 week period at the discretion of their employer.

"

It's only fair that if you're obtaining of social welfare, then your are actively looking for employment, and available to go back to work. And you can't do that when in quaranteen.

It is absolutely not the case that everyone on the covid payment is it should be looking for work. Many have jobs but are on temporary lay off and can't return to work until their job is back up and running. Others can't go back to work until the schools are back, and remain on lay off until then. They're under no obligation to look for work whatsoever.

It's also not true that everyone who comes home from holidays looses wages for 2 weeks. Many use their annual leave for that 2 week period at the discretion of their employer. "

Fair enough, each case is different, and if you know your permanent job will be opening back up in a couple of months, you're not gonna quit and get another just for the sake of it.

But like, you cant really use your annual leave for quaranteen. Eat up all your christmas holiday days just so to sit at home and quaranteen for two weeks, and leave your work makes in the lurch covering for you for nearly a month, just because you wanted to travel abroad rather than holiday in ireland.

Whether you are working or not, no one is stopping you going abroad. But there are enough consequences that both choose not too. Just holiday at home for one year

"

It's also not true that everyone who comes home from holidays looses wages for 2 weeks. Many use their annual leave for that 2 week period at the discretion of their employer. "

We have been told not to travel, if we do we self isolate for 14 days unpaid not allowed use annual leave and it's vaguely hinted if we do may affect future promotions.

somewhere

Its still all very mixed up in my opinion

The people on The pup payment scheme are in industries that just closed overnight....not their fault.

How is a sound engineer with 20 yrs experience meant to be looking for a new job when there's very little jobs as it is.

Also if he's looking for a new job who pays his statutory redundancy from his old job

20 yrs working with one company is 12k....who can afford to give that up

"

It's also not true that everyone who comes home from holidays looses wages for 2 weeks. Many use their annual leave for that 2 week period at the discretion of their employer.

We have been told not to travel, if we do we self isolate for 14 days unpaid not allowed use annual leave and it's vaguely hinted if we do may affect future promotions. "

Yeah, there is a huge stigma in workplaces about foreign travel! You would definitly be looked down upon by your peers, as the amount of extra workload, and money, and just stress that staff are put under because of Covid, and there you go leaving the country against all advice. I dont know a single person at work who has any plans to travel anywhere this year.

"

Fair enough, each case is different, and if you know your permanent job will be opening back up in a couple of months, you're not gonna quit and get another just for the sake of it.

But like, you cant really use your annual leave for quaranteen. Eat up all your christmas holiday days just so to sit at home and quaranteen for two weeks, and leave your work makes in the lurch covering for you for nearly a month, just because you wanted to travel abroad rather than holiday in ireland.

Whether you are working or not, no one is stopping you going abroad. But there are enough consequences that both choose not too. Just holiday at home for one year"

Well actually a lot of people are being forced to take their annual leave right now before their jobs open back up, because when they do open back up employers need absolutely all hands on deck. And if you're not back at work then how would you be leaving your colleagues in the lurch???

Listen, I think anyone who is going on a holiday abroad is a dick. Nobody should be allowed go in my opinion.

The point that I'm making is that it's not right for the government to punish some people who do it, and allow others.

"

Whether you are working or not, no one is stopping you going abroad. But there are enough consequences that both choose not too. Just holiday at home for one year

Well actually a lot of people are being forced to take their annual leave right now before their jobs open back up, because when they do open back up employers need absolutely all hands on deck. And if you're not back at work then how would you be leaving your colleagues in the lurch???

Listen, I think anyone who is going on a holiday abroad is a dick. Nobody should be allowed go in my opinion.

The point that I'm making is that it's not right for the government to punish some people who do it, and allow others. "

Well yeah. I think it's stupid to allow regular social welfare, but not Pup payments. And someone else said childrens allowance was stopped too?

They need to get their act together, as they had months to prepare for this.

skerries

Social welfare benefits were always paid to people who took 2weeks holidays a year . They just filled in a form in welfare office and got their payments on return ..I personal think it's the people who are going home to their own country for some time and receiving their money . That they were after

» Add a new message to this topic