FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Back to school

Back to school

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oghunter33 OP   Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

It's going to be somewhat of an experiment. Nobody knows what role children and teenagers play in the transmission of covid-19.

Are the schools ready?

Are the governmental guidelines any good?

How do you feel about sending your children back to school?

Do grandparents have to be locked up in the cupboard again?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can't understand how they are not ready, they had much longer than any other sector to prepare and get some guidelines in place. Most just had to get on with it and work through without much knowledge or information at that time.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

The problem is money to be honest

A school that Im involved with is in a deprived area

They don't have any spare funding

I marked out the floor in a class for 5 yr olds

We couldn't get it to work without moving half the kids into another room

They don't have any spare rooms

They have no spare teachers,SNA's only get contracts at the end pf this month

This is a shit storm in the making

My youngest is going into junior cert yr

His school has no spare rooms

He's meant to change class every 40 mins and yet it's single story so has no spare rooms and cant even work out a one way system for the corridor

The company next door to mine makes prefabs

They are flat out making them for building sites and haven't even got one order from dept of education

By *assion and MoreCouple  over a year ago

Here and There, Monaghan

No

No

Yes, no choice in sending kids back to school

Certainly hope not, for mental health alone

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Im going to see what kind of set up they have but im preparing to take them out and home school them if its a disaster

on the hill NordWest of

"The problem is money to be honest

A school that Im involved with is in a deprived area

They don't have any spare funding

I marked out the floor in a class for 5 yr olds

We couldn't get it to work without moving half the kids into another room

They don't have any spare rooms

They have no spare teachers,SNA's only get contracts at the end pf this month

This is a shit storm in the making

My youngest is going into junior cert yr

His school has no spare rooms

He's meant to change class every 40 mins and yet it's single story so has no spare rooms and cant even work out a one way system for the corridor

The company next door to mine makes prefabs

They are flat out making them for building sites and haven't even got one order from dept of education "

Yeah I'd say a lot of schools will face the dilemma of not having enough space and resources. Government has gone on holiday while schools are supposed to get ready for the reopening. The regulatory advise on paper might sound all good but simply not be doable in reality especially when there's no support and no thinking outside the box.

We're in NI but found out yesterday that one of ours will be only be in school on alternate weeks. The older school age child goes to a different school and they've yet to announce their arrangements. I could literally weep

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

my daughter is 13...the school she goes too is only two years old its massive but still over 800 girls attend not including teachers..I guess the next few weeks will tell alot. The virus is so new and not even the government are knowing how things gonna go .6 months kids been off

"It's going to be somewhat of an experiment.

1 Nobody knows what role children and teenagers play in the transmission of covid-19.

2 Are the schools ready?

3 Are the governmental guidelines any good?

"

1 Quite a lot of evidence that children are the most efficient spreaders of the virus...they just often don’t have m/any symptoms.

2 No. have some friends in schools/education, they haven’t been able to get in. Plans only announced last week and no real play or money freed up to alter schools.

3 Possibly in theory but it won’t be able to be put into practise. See point 2 and bear in mind that we already have the largest classroom sizes in Europe, small buildings and a staffing shortage.

Fun times

"I can't understand how they are not ready, they had much longer than any other sector to prepare and get some guidelines in place. Most just had to get on with it and work through without much knowledge or information at that time."

Change comes from gov and they were too busy playing musical chairs. Plan was only released last week and not a hope will be in place in time.

on the hill NordWest of

1 Nobody knows what role children and teenagers play in the transmission of covid-19.

2 Are the schools ready?

1 Quite a lot of evidence that children are the most efficient spreaders of the virus...they just often don’t have m/any symptoms.

2 No. have some friends in schools/education, they haven’t been able to get in. Plans only announced last week and no real play or money freed up to alter schools.

3 Possibly in theory but it won’t be able to be put into practise. See point 2 and bear in mind that we already have the largest classroom sizes in Europe, small buildings and a staffing shortage.

Fun times "

There isn't actually much evidence how much children spread the virus mainly due to closing schools worldwide and because this virus is different to a normal flu virus. There's some evidence that young children might be less prone to get it because they don't have yet as many receptors where the corona virus latches on to. But that doesn't apply to teenagers.

Anyhow while young folks can battle it easy enough it puts many parents at risk.

on the hill NordWest of

And of course the teachers too.

somewhere

"We're in NI but found out yesterday that one of ours will be only be in school on alternate weeks. The older school age child goes to a different school and they've yet to announce their arrangements. I could literally weep"

And if the older child gets put on week on week off it'll be the opposite week to the younger child so they won't be at home together which might help you

By *-ManMan  over a year ago

Kark

I don't have kids but if I did I'd be waiting a while to see what protocols the schools/dept of Ed come up with before sending them off to be test subjects in a gigantic experiment

"

There isn't actually much evidence how much children spread the virus mainly due to closing schools worldwide and because this virus is different to a normal flu virus. There's some evidence that young children might be less prone to get it because they don't have yet as many receptors where the corona virus latches on to. But that doesn't apply to teenagers.

Anyhow while young folks can battle it easy enough it puts many parents at risk. "

There is quite a bit of medical papers now actually. Many schools didn’t shut or are resuming and adding to the studies. If C19 is in the community it spreads, quickly.

By *unnyfookMan  over a year ago

Naas

they need to be sent back, their mental health has suffered enough.

Naas

winter is going to be tough enough with all the usual flu, runny nose and cough etc kids get. there will be mini lockdown everywhere

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

I wouldn't hold my breath on schools opening back up...it's already being hinted at in national news...I quote from our national broadcasters:

"Speaking at a post-Cabinet briefing, he said Ireland was in a relatively good position and added that the Government wants to keep it that way and not risk schools reopening in a few weeks' time."

Leo's words...

Get ready to homeschool, ladies and gents...

Naas

"I wouldn't hold my breath on schools opening back up...it's already being hinted at in national news...I quote from our national broadcasters:

"Speaking at a post-Cabinet briefing, he said Ireland was in a relatively good position and added that the Government wants to keep it that way and not risk schools reopening in a few weeks' time."

Leo's words...

Get ready to homeschool, ladies and gents... "

better put in for a teachers wage then

You can be as funded and as prepared as you like. But kids more specifically teenagers don't give a shit about covid protocols.

somewhere

"You can be as funded and as prepared as you like. But kids more specifically teenagers don't give a shit about covid protocols. "

Have to disagree with you on this one

My 14 yr old son and all his mates didnt see each other for about 10 weeks

No school

No football

No basketball

No hanging around with the girls and absolutely stuck to the rules ,in fact he never left the back garden at all

Played on a PS4 all those weeks just to talk to his mates and we never once stopped him for being on too long

When they finally got back out they kept to social distance rules

Absolutely my hero

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

"You can be as funded and as prepared as you like. But kids more specifically teenagers don't give a shit about covid protocols.

Have to disagree with you on this one

My 14 yr old son and all his mates didnt see each other for about 10 weeks

No school

No football

No basketball

No hanging around with the girls and absolutely stuck to the rules ,in fact he never left the back garden at all

Played on a PS4 all those weeks just to talk to his mates and we never once stopped him for being on too long

When they finally got back out they kept to social distance rules

Absolutely my hero "

the vast majority of youngsters since back out and about are hanging around with each other as per normal. Am I surprised? No. Alot stayed indoors for 3 months and did Jack shit. I keep saying the same thing. Most of us lived secluded lives while in lockdown but you cant live like that continuously. It's not normal and not at all good for ones mind. You have to get out and about and on with things eventually. Question is can everything open and we still get the virus to zero transmission? I doubt it so in a nutshell were going to have 2 live with it.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

If schools can open then so can pubs and clubs. Small kids are no different than d*unks.

"I wouldn't hold my breath on schools opening back up...it's already being hinted at in national news...I quote from our national broadcasters:

Leo's words...

Get ready to homeschool, ladies and gents... "

I don't believe his meaning to be that the Government wouldn't risk re-opening schools, but that the priority is to keep transmission levels low (by not advancing to the next stage of easing restrictions) to ensure that schools can open on schedule.

Here and There, Monaghan

"If schools can open then so can pubs and clubs. Small kids are no different than d*unks. "

No wonder the virus is on the increase, with attitudes like that.

The schools situation is a farce.

Teachers who have refused to work and schools that have refused to open should be financially penalised and funding cut.

They won't open schools but open pubs? And people on here are meeting and asking when it's OK to meet?

How many parents on here send their children to clubs/ contact sports/activities at present?

Because if they think that's a risk free environment that's just delusional.

Tipperary

"The schools situation is a farce.

Teachers who have refused to work and schools that have refused to open should be financially penalised and funding cut.

They won't open schools but open pubs? And people on here are meeting and asking when it's OK to meet?

How many parents on here send their children to clubs/ contact sports/activities at present?

"

so do u want to go back to square 1 where everything is cancelled?

Here and There, Monaghan

"

Are you talking about 'The North'? - Different Government, different rules, different polices, different education system

Tipperary

Italy are also practically back open since june, pubs the lot and doing quiet well. How come italy are so different to us?

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

This is something i am totally vexed about i can't believe that teachers aren't ready they have had one of the longest run into reopening than any other sector private or public

The social welfare adapted in two weeks to mass payment of covid and pup, health care put their lives on the line to battle this pandemic but yet irish teachers say they haven't enough time

Private companys now have multiple of thousands working from home connected by tech this happened over night, some of us never stopped providing essential services to hospitals nursing homes and those cocooning

Get in to the schools and measure out what can be achieved and start there play the game that's presented to you and adapt and change accordingly we adapted daily even hourly according to guidelines

Some businesses are remaining closed to provide the space for schools to open up their livelihoods are on the line

Move kids to gym halls and parish halls bring in the student teachers to provide back up to teachers that are dived between two or three rooms

As cases arise isolate those pods and treat accordingly, teachers that are vulnerable take on the duties of teaching vulnerable students online

Get parents and local business involved in opening ur school and provide what is now becoming an essential service to young future generations

Its was once a war cry

"Ask nit what ur country can do for u but what u can do for ur country"

We wont know till we try and unless we try we will have failed

Once the schools are open then its up to parents to satisfy them selves that its as safe as possible to send their children , its a new normal we have to try and learn to adapt

Taking a deep breath here now

Are you talking about 'The North'? - Different Government, different rules, different polices, different education system"

Its the exact same principles though.

Here and There, Monaghan

Are you talking about 'The North'? - Different Government, different rules, different polices, different education system

Its the exact same principles though. "

How? Schools in the Republic are reopening - Teachers are going back to work -Pubs are not opening - schools are ?

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"If schools can open then so can pubs and clubs. Small kids are no different than d*unks.

No wonder the virus is on the increase, with attitudes like that."

Attitude like what ? I'm pointing out that how can you stop the spread of a virus by opening schools ? But in the same breath say that keeping pubs closed will stop the spread of the virus. 20 odd kids in an enclosed room would be no different than 20 adults in a similar sized room. Do you actually think that kids are going to to socially distance ?

For the record I've still haven't been to a pub since February and I don't drink at home so this isn't coming from someone who just wants the pubs open.

Tipperary

"If schools can open then so can pubs and clubs. Small kids are no different than d*unks.

Attitude like what ? I'm pointing out that how can you stop the spread of a virus by opening schools ? But in the same breath say that keeping pubs closed will stop the spread of the virus. 20 odd kids in an enclosed room would be no different than 20 adults in a similar sized room. Do you actually think that kids are going to to socially distance ?

For the record I've still haven't been to a pub since February and I don't drink at home so this isn't coming from someone who just wants the pubs open. "

get a few friends together. Put up a marquee and have an outdoor session. The social interaction wont be the same when pubs open.

limerick

For the record I've still haven't been to a pub since February and I don't drink at home so this isn't coming from someone who just wants the pubs open. "

I don't think its the case that there's any difference but it frees up resources to deal with cases that may pop up from schools being open. We have learnt that gatherings of large groups of people can help the spread exponentially so by keeping venues closed and gatherings to a min it helps the health service to manage the case load

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

"Italy are also practically back open since june, pubs the lot and doing quiet well. How come italy are so different to us?"

It's simple, while others European countries goes forward Ireland goes backwards...in all other European countries kids went back in school in May and will start again in September but in Ireland drama as usual

Tipperary

"Italy are also practically back open since june, pubs the lot and doing quiet well. How come italy are so different to us?

It's simple, while others European countries goes forward Ireland goes backwards...in all other European countries kids went back in school in May and will start again in September but in Ireland drama as usual "

there has to be a reason why?!

By *B 4099Man  over a year ago

North West, Outer Letterkenny area

It's an extraordinary situation and there are many reasons for schools to reopen or not. Schools have always been the breeding ground for everything you can think of from head lice to flu to chicken pox. It is a petri dish. So probably the biggest acid test in terms or community transmission. This virus is the Schrodinger's Cat of Viruses. You assume you both have it and don't. Conceivably both have it with no symptoms.

If someone had Measles they wouldn't go to house parties, the pub, school, work etc. Due to possible infection. This is quite similar, you may or may not get it, there may be outbreaks in individual areas and in clusters.

The point for for most is kids need to be back to school, have some sense of normality , learn, see friends, have routine. Parents get a break for their own sanity, teachers get back to work. There are pros and cons to both.

Ultimately it will come down to the government making a decision and as I mentioned only time will tell what happens.

Schools will not be in a position to ensure social distancing and keep the same number of kids in the school at same time.

It will result in some sort of combo of school time and schooling at home. Each school will be different in how the do this.

If school buses are not running then it will be a nightmare when kids being dropped off. I have heard about staggered arrival times but I cant see how that will work where there multiple kids I a family of different ages.

I know my kids are dying to get back to school, never though i would never hear it out of their mouth

somewhere

read an article in The Irish Times today about the experience of Israel.

Virus under control and they reopened the schools and its a disaster

"Im going to see what kind of set up they have but im preparing to take them out and home school them if its a disaster"

I feel the same. I just can't see how it will work logistically.

Tipperary

"read an article in The Irish Times today about the experience of Israel.

Virus under control and they reopened the schools and its a disaster "

yet Italy as an eg have reopened nearly everything I think and are doing quiet well.

limerick

"Schools will not be in a position to ensure social distancing and keep the same number of kids in the school at same time.

It will result in some sort of combo of school time and schooling at home. Each school will be different in how the do this.

If school buses are not running then it will be a nightmare when kids being dropped off. I have heard about staggered arrival times but I cant see how that will work where there multiple kids I a family of different ages.

I know my kids are dying to get back to school, never though i would never hear it out of their mouth "

If we don't try we have failed as far as i can read its intended the busses will run nit saying it be easy

limerick

Virus under control and they reopened the schools and its a disaster "

But how just mass opening or in a measured way with distancing and separation in as many ways as possible

"This is something i am totally vexed about i can't believe that teachers aren't ready they have had one of the longest run into reopening than any other sector private or public

The social welfare adapted in two weeks to mass payment of covid and pup, health care put their lives on the line to battle this pandemic but yet irish teachers say they haven't enough time

Private companys now have multiple of thousands working from home connected by tech this happened over night, some of us never stopped providing essential services to hospitals nursing homes and those cocooning

Get in to the schools and measure out what can be achieved and start there play the game that's presented to you and adapt and change accordingly we adapted daily even hourly according to guidelines

Some businesses are remaining closed to provide the space for schools to open up their livelihoods are on the line

Move kids to gym halls and parish halls bring in the student teachers to provide back up to teachers that are dived between two or three rooms

As cases arise isolate those pods and treat accordingly, teachers that are vulnerable take on the duties of teaching vulnerable students online

Get parents and local business involved in opening ur school and provide what is now becoming an essential service to young future generations

Its was once a war cry

Once the schools are open then its up to parents to satisfy them selves that its as safe as possible to send their children , its a new normal we have to try and learn to adapt

Taking a deep breath here now "

My point exactly but much more well written

They have had month's of sitting at home while other's continued to work. They should have used that time to plan how they would do this. Most of us had no choice care staff were handed ppe gear and told try not spend longer than 15 mins with anyone showing symptoms! Shop assistant's were given masks and hand sanitizer! We couldn't say no we are not working or many other people had to work and adapt to the changes as they went. Teacher's are no different, if this is the new norm they have to make it work follow the guidelines and get on with it like the rest of the Country.

limerick

"Im going to see what kind of set up they have but im preparing to take them out and home school them if its a disaster

I feel the same. I just can't see how it will work logistically."

Isn't that part of the new world we have to carry out a risk assesment on every situation our selfs and not blindly accept that its safe because someone else says it is If we don't start somewhere we can't improve we need to see the solutions put forward and make informed decisions

I certainly wouldn't send my kids if i was told its open send them I'd like to see for myself what the measures are

somewhere

Virus under control and they reopened the schools and its a disaster

But how just mass opening or in a measured way with distancing and separation in as many ways as possible

"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/when-covid-subsided-israel-reopened-its-schools-it-didn-t-go-well-1.4321658?mode=amp

Here and There, Monaghan

"This is something i am totally vexed about i can't believe that teachers aren't ready they have had one of the longest run into reopening than any other sector private or public

Its was once a war cry

They have had month's of sitting at home while other's continued to work. They should have used that time to plan how they would do this. Most of us had no choice care staff were handed ppe gear and told try not spend longer than 15 mins with anyone showing symptoms! Shop assistant's were given masks and hand sanitizer! We couldn't say no we are not working or many other people had to work and adapt to the changes as they went. Teacher's are no different, if this is the new norm they have to make it work follow the guidelines and get on with it like the rest of the Country."

Teacher's didn't close the school. The teachers I know are ready, willing and able to work. They have little say in how the schools will reopen.

There is a massive difference between a shop assistant serving a customer for a few seconds and a teacher in a room with 20-30 students for 40-80 minutes. Mask's are impossible, imagine trying to teach a language wearing a mask? or a student asking a question wearing a mask?

If I had kids of school age, I would be visiting their schools to see what if any safety measures are in place. Not just in class but during breaks, lunchtime and all other times on school property. If I couldnt satisfy myself on all of these points then I would look at home teaching if possible. I know this wont suit a lot of people where both parents have to go to work. But it would be better than a child catching covid 19.

Its was once a war cry

They have had month's of sitting at home while other's continued to work. They should have used that time to plan how they would do this. Most of us had no choice care staff were handed ppe gear and told try not spend longer than 15 mins with anyone showing symptoms! Shop assistant's were given masks and hand sanitizer! We couldn't say no we are not working or many other people had to work and adapt to the changes as they went. Teacher's are no different, if this is the new norm they have to make it work follow the guidelines and get on with it like the rest of the Country.

Teacher's didn't close the school. The teachers I know are ready, willing and able to work. They have little say in how the schools will reopen.

There is a massive difference between a shop assistant serving a customer for a few seconds and a teacher in a room with 20-30 students for 40-80 minutes. Mask's are impossible, imagine trying to teach a language wearing a mask? or a student asking a question wearing a mask?"

I didn't say teachers closed the schools. As far as I'm aware masks are not mandatory but they can wear clear visors if they want too themselves. I don't see why there is much difference with 30 student's in a room and 30 patient's on a ward? You follow the same guidelines stay the recommended distance apart and follow hygiene recommendations. You monitor temperatures daily and isolate anyone showing symptoms. It's what we have all been working with. The board of education should have been preparing for this from the start they had month's to get guidelines in place to protect students as well as teacher's. Most had to to adapt overnight.

Its was once a war cry

There is a massive difference between a shop assistant serving a customer for a few seconds and a teacher in a room with 20-30 students for 40-80 minutes. Mask's are impossible, imagine trying to teach a language wearing a mask? or a student asking a question wearing a mask?

I didn't say teachers closed the schools. As far as I'm aware masks are not mandatory but they can wear clear visors if they want too themselves. I don't see why there is much difference with 30 student's in a room and 30 patient's on a ward? You follow the same guidelines stay the recommended distance apart and follow hygiene recommendations. You monitor temperatures daily and isolate anyone showing symptoms. It's what we have all been working with. The board of education should have been preparing for this from the start they had month's to get guidelines in place to protect students as well as teacher's. Most had to to adapt overnight. "

This

By *ornyfireCouple  over a year ago

Middle Earth

1. Schools are under Department of Education.

2. Schools were not issued with any guidelines or information regarding reopening until last week.

3. It was pointless doing anything up to this as you may have been going against guidelines.

4.Some of you may remember Joe's famous speech which went along the lines of 2 metres children will attend 1day a week 1 metre children will attend 2 days and the optimal children will attend 5 days.

So what or where do you start planning for will you have school, half school ect.

5. Take a look at your school building is it in good condition does it have rooms ect use local halls who will supervise the children remember you can't have 1adult with children especially off site in a community hall.

5. Extra staff the department won't supply enough staff as it and are not going to now I know of an SNA who is shared between two children who are blind and dept said its fine???

6. Only 50 people are allowed gather inside but it's fine for schools with anything between 20 and 1200 to open.

7. Yes I hope school will open, but this is a worldwide pandemic. The children will survive, but we do need to protect the vulnerable members of our society.

8. On the 13th of March schools closed for what was taught 2 weeks teachers had to adapt very quickly with online teaching ect no training given. No advance warning yes some had predicted it but others were genuinely shocked. We are all trying to get through this together. And comparing settings or professions is not a good idea if they are not the same setting. A pub and school are completely different.

9. If pubs had not taken advantage of the reopening then maybe the rest could have joined them in opening.

10.If people had the cop on to stay not mix with lots of people maybe we would be in a different place.

At this stage I've forgotten my point but I'm sick of the constant teacher bashing and no I'm not a teacher and my husband isn't, I can just see the bigger picture.

Tipperary

"If I had kids of school age, I would be visiting their schools to see what if any safety measures are in place. Not just in class but during breaks, lunchtime and all other times on school property. If I couldnt satisfy myself on all of these points then I would look at home teaching if possible. I know this wont suit a lot of people where both parents have to go to work. But it would be better than a child catching covid 19."
the only way u make sure u dont catch covid 19, child or adult is staying at home and locking yourself away. Otherwise there is risk. Every premises open will have guidlines/restrictions and that includes schools. Will there be a risk? Of course there will, like everywhere. We live side by side with this virus.

By *ysteryman2009Man  over a year ago

Ireland

2 Are the schools ready?

Fun times "

Teachers holidays are over, its time to stop complaining and get on with it. Plenty of work has been done to make schools safe. Its better for the kids to get back in to reality. Those kids are already playing with friends and neighbors,If you drive through any housing estate you will see this on a dry day.The rest of the country that went back to work have adapted to the new conditions and surroundings , So should the teachers and kids do the same. Its a matter of habit.I would say to anybody , stop creating problems before they go back without having tried it and letting it work.

Here and There, Monaghan

Its was once a war cry

I didn't say teachers closed the schools. As far as I'm aware masks are not mandatory but they can wear clear visors if they want too themselves. I don't see why there is much difference with 30 student's in a room and 30 patient's on a ward? You follow the same guidelines stay the recommended distance apart and follow hygiene recommendations. You monitor temperatures daily and isolate anyone showing symptoms. It's what we have all been working with. The board of education should have been preparing for this from the start they had month's to get guidelines in place to protect students as well as teacher's. Most had to to adapt overnight. "

Massive difference between a ward in a hospital / and a classroom in a school. There hasn't been a hospital ward with that many patients in decades. Beside nursing / caring and teaching are not even closely related, you can't compare. Nursing/Caring at its core is based on Infection Prevention and Control, breaking the chain of infection, using the principles of Standard / Transmission precautions. Teaching is about the acquisition of knowledge and skills through learning and discovery.

By *ysteryman2009Man  over a year ago

Ireland

"1. Schools are under Department of Education.

2. Schools were not issued with any guidelines or information regarding reopening until last week.

3. It was pointless doing anything up to this as you may have been going against guidelines.

4.Some of you may remember Joe's famous speech which went along the lines of 2 metres children will attend 1day a week 1 metre children will attend 2 days and the optimal children will attend 5 days.

So what or where do you start planning for will you have school, half school ect.

5. Take a look at your school building is it in good condition does it have rooms ect use local halls who will supervise the children remember you can't have 1adult with children especially off site in a community hall.

5. Extra staff the department won't supply enough staff as it and are not going to now I know of an SNA who is shared between two children who are blind and dept said its fine???

6. Only 50 people are allowed gather inside but it's fine for schools with anything between 20 and 1200 to open.

7. Yes I hope school will open, but this is a worldwide pandemic. The children will survive, but we do need to protect the vulnerable members of our society.

8. On the 13th of March schools closed for what was taught 2 weeks teachers had to adapt very quickly with online teaching ect no training given. No advance warning yes some had predicted it but others were genuinely shocked. We are all trying to get through this together. And comparing settings or professions is not a good idea if they are not the same setting. A pub and school are completely different.

9. If pubs had not taken advantage of the reopening then maybe the rest could have joined them in opening.

10.If people had the cop on to stay not mix with lots of people maybe we would be in a different place.

At this stage I've forgotten my point but I'm sick of the constant teacher bashing and no I'm not a teacher and my husband isn't, I can just see the bigger picture. "

WOW WOW, That really sounds like a teachers rant. My suggestion teachers is get on with the job in hand and stop complaining, some of the rest of the country adapted and are getting on with the their jobs of staying safe and healthy.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

Its was once a war cry

Have you ever been in a hospital with 30 patients on a ward If there is a ward with 30 patients on then they would all be in bed not running around touching everything in sight. The ward has at least 10 members of staff, if not more.....the most you get in a classroom is 2. Probably have at least 2/3 cleaners on each ward Most schools only have 2/3 cleaners for the whole school. You can't compare a hospital with a school.

Middle Earth

"I don't see why there is much difference with 30 student's in a room and 30 patient's on a ward? You follow the same guidelines stay the recommended distance apart and follow hygiene recommendations. You monitor temperatures daily and isolate anyone showing symptoms. It's what we have all been working with. The board of education should have been preparing for this from the start they had month's to get guidelines in place to protect students as well as teacher's. Most had to to adapt overnight"

This drives me mad... You cannot compare a hospital ward and a class room.

First of most hospital wards are 12 beds I've yet to see to patients share a bed but maybe if things get that bad.

I've also never seen patients do group work or projects together.

Also never seen a patient hand their homework to teacher.

Or line up to all go outside ect.

What I have seen is you have your bed with curtains around you and the other 29 patients don't go in on top of you.

And lastly if your hospital your more than likely sick and latergic.

If your a child in school your full of beans and buzzing around the place.

Until you've spent a day in persons profession you can't talk about it as your only seeing one side. I spent years in hospitality and never met as many experts on the opposite of the bar who loved to throw their 2 cents on how they taught things should be done but unfortunately they didn't look at the bigger picture or the balance sheet.

Middle Earth

Its was once a war cry

I didn't say teachers closed the schools. As far as I'm aware masks are not mandatory but they can wear clear visors if they want too themselves. I don't see why there is much difference with 30 student's in a room and 30 patient's on a ward? You follow the same guidelines stay the recommended distance apart and follow hygiene recommendations. You monitor temperatures daily and isolate anyone showing symptoms. It's what we have all been working with. The board of education should have been preparing for this from the start they had month's to get guidelines in place to protect students as well as teacher's. Most had to to adapt overnight.

Have you ever been in a hospital with 30 patients on a ward If there is a ward with 30 patients on then they would all be in bed not running around touching everything in sight. The ward has at least 10 members of staff, if not more.....the most you get in a classroom is 2. Probably have at least 2/3 cleaners on each ward Most schools only have 2/3 cleaners for the whole school. You can't compare a hospital with a school."

Secondary school in galway 800 pupils 1 cleaner. This is the reality.

Belfast

Its was once a war cry

Have you ever been in a hospital with 30 patients on a ward If there is a ward with 30 patients on then they would all be in bed not running around touching everything in sight. The ward has at least 10 members of staff, if not more.....the most you get in a classroom is 2. Probably have at least 2/3 cleaners on each ward Most schools only have 2/3 cleaners for the whole school. You can't compare a hospital with a school.

Secondary school in galway 800 pupils 1 cleaner. This is the reality. "

Same here.....5 storey building with at least 20 classrooms on each floor. 4 part time cleaners for the whole building

Middle Earth

"1. Schools are under Department of Education.

At this stage I've forgotten my point but I'm sick of the constant teacher bashing and no I'm not a teacher and my husband isn't, I can just see the bigger picture.

WOW WOW, That really sounds like a teachers rant. My suggestion teachers is get on with the job in hand and stop complaining, some of the rest of the country adapted and are getting on with the their jobs of staying safe and healthy."

Honestly I'm not teacher, but I have kids in primary school. I see the frustration of my teacher friend's. Its just not a case of a school can go of and do what they want they have to follow Dept guidelines which were not issued until last week.

And what was issued wasn't even that great. It is a very big responsibility to be in charge of children and I can see why teachers are apprehensive in this current situation.

Belfast

Someone said in another thread the other day that people need to use common sense and take responsibility for themselves, your asking teachers to take responsibility for your own child. They don't have common sense, they want to hug, share and play. 1 teacher has only one pair of eyes with a classroom full of kids. Who are you going to blame when things go wrong? When that teacher misses a sneeze or misses one child not sanitising their hands.....

Schools should have been sorted out before pubs, restaurants, hotels full stop.....once that was sorted then start opening the rest of the country

Tipperary

"Someone said in another thread the other day that people need to use common sense and take responsibility for themselves, your asking teachers to take responsibility for your own child. They don't have common sense, they want to hug, share and play. 1 teacher has only one pair of eyes with a classroom full of kids. Who are you going to blame when things go wrong? When that teacher misses a sneeze or misses one child not sanitising their hands.....

Schools should have been sorted out before pubs, restaurants, hotels full stop.....once that was sorted then start opening the rest of the country"

I'll put it simply, one teacher is not responsible for all that because it's not possible.

The schools will open, right or wrong, within a month, there's gonna be a sh1t storm.

Tipperary

I see alot of today's cases are in wexford, who had none. Probably dubs holidaying down there. Leads me to the question, will u go on hols around ireland or anywhere or will u just stay at home and go nowhere?

limerick

Not adding to one of the above because it gets boring rereading whole posts

The first reaction i heard was the teachers unions saying its not possible we haven't enough time it can't be done

We have seen what can be done by so many already

Teachers need to engage in the process as they are the ones that will have to work in the confines of the new classroom. yes the schools are ultimately funded by the dept who will have to find the monies to support the schools but surely thinking outside the box there's plenty not working that with the blessing of other departments could volunteer their time to assist at schools or at lunch times even

Using other community buildings for class rooms once they have heat light and toilet facilities surely its easy move tables and chairs in once they are dry and warm

Using sna and student teachers bringing cleaning staff from the community to wipe down and sanitise areas we have to change the way we think and work its a new world

Plans need to be worked on and presented to the department i am sure if there is an effort being made the dept will rise to the challenge

Middle Earth

Can I come live in your fanasty world. Sorry I would not be happy as a parent with people from the community coming in supervising my kids. What do they know about kids. I am involved with children in two sporting areas I've done many a course and you really have to know how to deal with children and dealing with other people's children aren't the same as your own. You must be careful what you say, what language you use, how you address them. Also many children have issues/needs ect parents may not be happy having this dissucessed with these community supervisors.

Secondly yes Dept has said money available but how much money will each school get, they don't know, they are hardly going to get local builders do the work and not be able to pay them, there is process 3 tenders for every job.

And thirdly these SNAs you speak of are like hens teeth the pupils that need them can't get them, their hours and posts are being cut the last few years, the Dept is not hiring. And schools have to work inside the guidelines of Dept they cannot as you say think outside the box.

limerick

"Can I come live in your fanasty world. Sorry I would not be happy as a parent with people from the community coming in supervising my kids. What do they know about kids. I am involved with children in two sporting areas I've done many a course and you really have to know how to deal with children and dealing with other people's children aren't the same as your own. You must be careful what you say, what language you use, how you address them. Also many children have issues/needs ect parents may not be happy having this dissucessed with these community supervisors.

Secondly yes Dept has said money available but how much money will each school get, they don't know, they are hardly going to get local builders do the work and not be able to pay them, there is process 3 tenders for every job.

And thirdly these SNAs you speak of are like hens teeth the pupils that need them can't get them, their hours and posts are being cut the last few years, the Dept is not hiring. And schools have to work inside the guidelines of Dept they cannot as you say think outside the box. "

So we just sit back throw our hands in the air and say fook it it cant be done

somewhere

Just to throw something else in to the mix that could mess up the plans

Anyone working with kids needs Garda vetting

I have Garda vetting for a charity I volunteer for but its no good for any other role

At the start of the lockdown to great fanfare the gov announced that all SNA's would move into a role contract tracing

It was quietly dropped to no fanfare when they couldn't get Garda Vetting as nobody was working on it

The exact same thing will happen in 4 weeks

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

"It's going to be somewhat of an experiment. Nobody knows what role children and teenagers play in the transmission of covid-19.

Are the schools ready?

Are the governmental guidelines any good?

How do you feel about sending your children back to school?

Do grandparents have to be locked up in the cupboard again? "

Well secondary schools should be well able to cope since the children would have more sense (normally) but primary would be a bit of a challenge 4th class up would be ok but trying to get junior/senior infants to keep 2m away from each other wouldn't exactly go smoothly near impossible tbh

But of course the children really do need to get back to education otherwise it will damage them in the long run I have 3 going back one of them graduated from playschool and my eldest son has ADHD and autism so this time off hasn't been good for him

Middle Earth

"Can I come live in your fanasty world. Sorry I would not be happy as a parent with people from the community coming in supervising my kids. What do they know about kids. I am involved with children in two sporting areas I've done many a course and you really have to know how to deal with children and dealing with other people's children aren't the same as your own. You must be careful what you say, what language you use, how you address them. Also many children have issues/needs ect parents may not be happy having this dissucessed with these community supervisors.

And thirdly these SNAs you speak of are like hens teeth the pupils that need them can't get them, their hours and posts are being cut the last few years, the Dept is not hiring. And schools have to work inside the guidelines of Dept they cannot as you say think outside the box.

So we just sit back throw our hands in the air and say fook it it cant be done "

No that's not the answer either but before people make suggestions there needs to be a little thought put into them. I wouldn't walk into a butchers and tell them how to cut a cow or walk into building site and tell them how to build a house I really don't have a clue.... All these people mouthing about schools well 90% them don't have a clue, don't look at the bigger picture.

Re garda vetting at one stage I was vetted by 5 different groups. It does not carry from one group to another. The only people who are are sub teachers. Sub SNAs need to be vetted by individual schools

Tipperary

No that's not the answer either but before people make suggestions there needs to be a little thought put into them. I wouldn't walk into a butchers and tell them how to cut a cow or walk into building site and tell them how to build a house I really don't have a clue.... All these people mouthing about schools well 90% them don't have a clue, don't look at the bigger picture.

Re garda vetting at one stage I was vetted by 5 different groups. It does not carry from one group to another. The only people who are are sub teachers. Sub SNAs need to be vetted by individual schools"

in fairness the government dont know what to do either with schools and either do teachers themselves

limerick

Re garda vetting at one stage I was vetted by 5 different groups. It does not carry from one group to another. The only people who are are sub teachers. Sub SNAs need to be vetted by individual schools"

I concede the teachers are right its not possible to do for every where there's gap in the fence they manage to put a boulder, terminate their contracts put them on €350 a week and hire them back when this is all over like the rest of the country that have to sit at home and watch their places of work stay locked up

There's been a lot of evidence worldwide that when schools reopened there were sudden community spikes.

Younger kids may not be as vulnerable but they can be carriers, they don't respect social distancing very well either. The indicators for the spikes were clearly the schools that they were all closed again immediately and not been reopened except in Australia, where again in Victoria they have closed them down again.

In Australia many schools did have the capacity to spread the kids out in the same classrooms as their space/child is far greater than here, the kids didn't move from class to class, but the staff did, and they also arranged stagard breaks during the day to minimise interaction, the spikes happened

and schools closed again.

Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Australia to name a few where the spikes coincided with school returns.

Middle Earth

Re garda vetting at one stage I was vetted by 5 different groups. It does not carry from one group to another. The only people who are are sub teachers. Sub SNAs need to be vetted by individual schools

I concede the teachers are right its not possible to do for every where there's gap in the fence they manage to put a boulder, terminate their contracts put them on €350 a week and hire them back when this is all over like the rest of the country that have to sit at home and watch their places of work stay locked up "

CJ I think you should retrain as teacher or at least put ur cv into Dept of Ed as an advisor.

limerick

I concede the teachers are right its not possible to do for every where there's gap in the fence they manage to put a boulder, terminate their contracts put them on €350 a week and hire them back when this is all over like the rest of the country that have to sit at home and watch their places of work stay locked up

CJ I think you should retrain as teacher or at least put ur cv into Dept of Ed as an advisor. "

I'll see u in the tea room and we can hash out what's right and wrong

These are exceptional times exceptional remedies are needed I am afraid ur arguments remind me of a song sung between a teacher and a young boy

Flowers are red green leaves are green

there no need to see flowers any other way then the way they always have being seen

And the little boy sang there are so many colours in the rainbow

so many colours in the morning sun

So lets use every one

Middle Earth

Jump to this century would ya, teachers are so different now. Maybe I'm biased but I seen how my kids are being taught I have 4 in school and its miles different from when I was I young.

Also there will be no staffroom as each teacher will be staying with their own class, remember they can't be mixing!

limerick

I am very much in this century but u have to remember we are not just talking of normal schools here there's a plethora of education model's under the umbrella of the dept which are all closed.

Schools for the deaf and blind

Those with special needs, autism, downs syndrome,those who have mental and physical disabilities, and not all kids have access to online education due to parents not able to pay for computers or laptops alot can't afford internet or due to location or financial pressures.There are kids out there that will end up falling by the way side and end up runners and dealers for gangs due to the lack of structure and a basic education

What we need is a safe place to teach first and foremost give structure to and even safe haven to our kids it doesn't have to have wifi connected over head 3D projectors

Ireland was once known as the land of saints and scholars even under occupation when we were denied education we taught out kids in hedge schools. So where there's a will there's a way all we are asking is for the will. What we need is to get the best possible model set up and then adapt and adjust as we learn bricks and mortar will come but for now perspex and timber screens will suffice a blackboard /white board and school books take a step or two back to go forward is all

Middle Earth

"I am very much in this century but u have to remember we are not just talking of normal schools here there's a plethora of education model's under the umbrella of the dept which are all closed.

Those with special needs, autism, downs syndrome,those who have mental and physical disabilities, and not all kids have access to online education due to parents not able to pay for computers or laptops alot can't afford internet or due to location or financial pressures.There are kids out there that will end up falling by the way side and end up runners and dealers for gangs due to the lack of structure and a basic education

What we need is a safe place to teach first and foremost give structure to and even safe haven to our kids it doesn't have to have wifi connected over head 3D projectors

Ireland was once known as the land of saints and scholars even under occupation when we were denied education we taught out kids in hedge schools. So where there's a will there's a way all we are asking is for the will. What we need is to get the best possible model set up and then adapt and adjust as we learn bricks and mortar will come but for now perspex and timber screens will suffice a blackboard /white board and school books take a step or two back to go forward is all "

Excatly some of the most vulnerable with serious health conditions they need to be safe. Yes education is important but there's no fits all. Alot of students with behavioural conditions spit, cough ect alot are aggressive. It's not a case that children go in sit down and don't move. And in the case of special schools there is alot of hands on, intimate care needs ect the SNA going to child head to toe in ppe would frighten the life out of some children. So again schools that I know are trying their best but there's an awful lot to be considered. It's not black and white and there's no fits all solution.

limerick

"I am very much in this century but u have to remember we are not just talking of normal schools here there's a plethora of education model's under the umbrella of the dept which are all closed.

Ireland was once known as the land of saints and scholars even under occupation when we were denied education we taught out kids in hedge schools. So where there's a will there's a way all we are asking is for the will. What we need is to get the best possible model set up and then adapt and adjust as we learn bricks and mortar will come but for now perspex and timber screens will suffice a blackboard /white board and school books take a step or two back to go forward is all

Excatly some of the most vulnerable with serious health conditions they need to be safe. Yes education is important but there's no fits all. Alot of students with behavioural conditions spit, cough ect alot are aggressive. It's not a case that children go in sit down and don't move. And in the case of special schools there is alot of hands on, intimate care needs ect the SNA going to child head to toe in ppe would frighten the life out of some children. So again schools that I know are trying their best but there's an awful lot to be considered. It's not black and white and there's no fits all solution. "

This is why i said get into the schools divide the space by the guidelines and see where u need to go after that its easier plan when u know what u have and what u can provide. So at the end of the day it is possible if not for all but some to open up and adapt and change so we do agree on alot of things

» Add a new message to this topic