FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Hitchhiking

Hitchhiking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

I remember for 3 summers after I turned 16 yrs old I'd get a train to Tralee and hitch hike to Castlegregory with my tent for my two week holiday

A family from Cork once gave me a lift and I went out with their daughter for a while

If I wanted to go anywhere I'd just stick out my tumb and usually get a lift fairly handy

First time seeing The Connor Pass and Dingle and loads of places all around Kerry.

Years later I drove down and always gave people lifts it was a great way to pass the journey

You don't see hitchhikers anymore (pre covid ) but did anyone else do it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ornyfireCouple  over a year ago

Middle Earth

Yes thumbed everywhere when we were young. Often in and out of Galway we were an hour away. Missed the bus to school you thumbed, we only had 1 car dad was working now most have 2 cars and drive kids everywhere. Not in a fit would I let my kids now, how times have changed.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Never hitchhiked in my life. Didn't go anyplace so had no reason to. When I started to drive I didn't pick up hitchhikers either as living in a border county in NI it wasn't exactly a sensible thing to do if you wanted to keep your car.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I seem a hitchhiker yesterday in Rostrevor.. It would be great to have that chance to travel and see the country that way

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I hitchhiked a fair bit before I started to drive usually with a friend it was a great way to get around always had a good laugh.

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

I travel the country alot for work and would always pick up a hitchhiker.

One time I was travelling from Galway to Tuam. Saw a young guy stumbling along the main road just outside Claregalway. He was obviously pissed and was likely to get himself knocked down. I picked him up and he said he was heading my direction. He fell asleep and I woke him when I got to Tuam to drop him off. He sobered up at that stage and asked where we were, I said Tuam, he said he thought we were going to Galway because that's where he lived

I dropped him at the bus stop..

Mr D

somewhere

"Never hitchhiked in my life. Didn't go anyplace so had no reason to. When I started to drive I didn't pick up hitchhikers either as living in a border county in NI it wasn't exactly a sensible thing to do if you wanted to keep your car. "

Yet another difference that those of us in the south wouldn't even realise

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

I’ve never hitchhiked anywhere. Used to cycle a lot when younger and once I got my driving licence that was it.

Ah there were some decent people out their that saved my bacon after missing the bus to work.

19 working through college. The hitchhiker's thumb saved me many a late appearance

Hitchhiked from my home to Carrigart Co Donegal with a college friend who lived there when I was 18. It's just over 300 km, got the bus back.

Who has the physical attribute , of having what's known as a hitchhiker's thumb. I surely do

By *ffit101Man  over a year ago

Cork and West Cork

I hitched my way around west cork as a teenager. Mode of transport instead of sightseeing though. It was rare you were out for too long before someone picks you up.

If I'm in a country side area (pre covid) I would generally pick up hitchhikers.

It was part of growing up for us in the early nineties, hitchhiked everywhere brazenly, the shop, school or town, even other cities, roads out of places would be lined with colourful signs made on cardboard or cereal boxes held by people edged out over the kerb to be seen. Most attractive in group would often stand out solo while others hid behind hedge or wall ready to pounce...happy daze

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

"I remember for 3 summers after I turned 16 yrs old I'd get a train to Tralee and hitch hike to Castlegregory with my tent for my two week holiday

A family from Cork once gave me a lift and I went out with their daughter for a while

If I wanted to go anywhere I'd just stick out my tumb and usually get a lift fairly handy

First time seeing The Connor Pass and Dingle and loads of places all around Kerry.

Years later I drove down and always gave people lifts it was a great way to pass the journey

You don't see hitchhikers anymore (pre covid ) but did anyone else do it."

I feel it depends where you are trying to thumb you would be lucky if someone stops say from Newcastle West to kerry but wen I was living in clonmel I would get lifts fairly quick even as far as Waterford but yeah covid has pretty much killed the hitchhiking life

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I worked with a woman who hitched a lift everywhere, she met some fantastic people and saw some amazing places. As they were recommended, by the people who gave her a lift.

Middle Earth

This reminds me of coming out of Galway you'd have to keep walking to the end of the line of hitchers on Friday evening as you wouldn't dream of skipping the queue

Too dangerous to pick up hitchikers and definitely would not stop to pick up lady hitchiker

somewhere

"This reminds me of coming out of Galway you'd have to keep walking to the end of the line of hitchers on Friday evening as you wouldn't dream of skipping the queue "

Same on the road to Dingle from Tralee ...its hard to understand a kerry accent fucking you out of it for skipping the Q when you didnt know the rules

By *orguyMan  over a year ago

Tuam

"This reminds me of coming out of Galway you'd have to keep walking to the end of the line of hitchers on Friday evening as you wouldn't dream of skipping the queue "

On a Friday going home from college and dying after Thursday night in the Oasis in Salthill

Middle Earth

"This reminds me of coming out of Galway you'd have to keep walking to the end of the line of hitchers on Friday evening as you wouldn't dream of skipping the queue

On a Friday going home from college and dying after Thursday night in the Oasis in Salthill "

Oasis was before my time

Middle Earth

"This reminds me of coming out of Galway you'd have to keep walking to the end of the line of hitchers on Friday evening as you wouldn't dream of skipping the queue

Same on the road to Dingle from Tralee ...its hard to understand a kerry accent fucking you out of it for skipping the Q when you didnt know the rules"

Did you not read the Thumbing Rule book?

Tuam

On a Friday going home from college and dying after Thursday night in the Oasis in Salthill

Oasis was before my time "

Ya don't know what ya missed out on

Did this lots as a teenager with a friend as we had no transport. Often got picked up by travelling salesmen and the likes, ne er came a cropper thank god but would have a fit if my kids did it!

I've listened to too many true crime podcasts to reccomend hitchhiking in this day and age.

But as a kid/teenager in the 90s countryside, sticking out the thumb was common enough practice.

Middle Earth

Oasis was before my time

Ya don't know what ya missed out on "

Did go to some nitclub in Salthill but not often can't think of the name. Mostly alley, cps gpo and Cuba oh the good times

By *ffit101Man  over a year ago

Cork and West Cork

"Did this lots as a teenager with a friend as we had no transport. Often got picked up by travelling salesmen and the likes, ne er came a cropper thank god but would have a fit if my kids did it! "

Different times now unfortunately

You're right to discourage your kids from doing it.

Tuam

Oasis was before my time

Did go to some nitclub in Salthill but not often can't think of the name. Mostly alley, cps gpo and Cuba oh the good times "

I was in all of them clubs too. I'd love to do it all over again

Middle Earth

Oasis was before my time

Did go to some nitclub in Salthill but not often can't think of the name. Mostly alley, cps gpo and Cuba oh the good times

I was in all of them clubs too. I'd love to do it all over again "

Sure we didn't know how good we had it. Different times now.

» Add a new message to this topic