FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Assisted Dying

Assisted Dying

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

I see that according to an opinion poll in today's Irish Times a majority are in favour of giving someone medical assistance to die.

I've never gone through the pain of someone in my immediate family dying ...both my parents are still alive in their 80's but I'm very much in favour of it in certain circumstances.

I always wondered why I could have my dog put to sleep because of his quality of life and pain and yet if I was the same my family couldn't do it for me.

Has anyone experience of anything like this or are you for or against it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

For it, in limited circumstances

I akways said I'd be heading to Switzerland if I was ever diagnosed with certain conditions.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

In certain circumstances and situations yes I completely agree with it. I've seen people dying in awful pain and slowly over a period of time and it is an awful way for someone to die suffering like that. Especially when there is no hope of recovery.

By *mmakWoman  over a year ago

Town

Is that got to do with a woman who has Ethler Danlos syndrome?

I think I seen it a few week ago.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Vicky Phelan I believe was someone who championed this bill. I have to say I do agree with it. After what we went through last year I wouldnt wish it on anybody and even himself said after walking out of the ward one day he would do himself in before having to go through any of it if he knew there was no hope

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Having watched both my parents suffer for the last few years of their lives, I am absolutely for it. Keeping an animal alive when it is suffering would be regarded as cruelty. I would hope that I have options when my time is approaching.

I'm in favour of it. Always told dee that if I end up with something horrible happening to me and there was no way around it to just pull the plug. Wouldn't want to suffer or put my loved ones through it either.

I think it's a welcomed piece of legislation

By *asterandhissparklesCouple  over a year ago

tipperary

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 16:52:08]

By *asterandhissparklesCouple  over a year ago

tipperary

"For it, in limited circumstances

I akways said I'd be heading to Switzerland if I was ever diagnosed with certain conditions."

What they said

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

That gino Kelly lad is pushing hard for this.. His head mist b fried with all the dope he's smoked..

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Delighted that there seems to be public support behind this. Its inhuman that this isn't already allowed.

By *uttingstagsMan  over a year ago

Navan

I’m definitely in favour of a well formulated legal framework for assisted dying.

Not only does it make it possible for patients to put a stop to pointless suffering it also provides medical professionals with a clear legislative picture.

What happens nowadays in my opinion is exactly the same in a protracted manner and in a legally grey area.

Wow 100% agreement. I feel if Sydney university had their heads screwed on this place would be a polling data dream.

Definitely for this if someone has no hope n is in pain while just hanging on its clearly better for then and the family to help them along rather than prolonging it longer, like you said it would be considered cruel to an animal but not a human never understood that

I'm in agreement too...

Jesus the forum is letting us down here everyone is on the same page

East / North, Cork

I think it's another sign (after gay marriage, abortion, divorce waiting time etc) that the church no longer has control over the hearts and minds in Ireland. Thank fuck.

"I think it's another sign (after gay marriage, abortion, divorce waiting time etc) that the church no longer has control over the hearts and minds in Ireland. Thank fuck. "
think most people just go now when they have to Wedding,funeral etc rather than wanting to, at least that's what I notice from friends and family whereas when I was younger we were made to to mass weekly

Can parents here explain if there is still a link between a child being raised a Catholic and having increased chance of getting into.a school. I have witnessed many people who were not practicing catholics then have a U turn and get married in a Catholic Church and raise their kids catholic. Can this be related to parents wanting to increase their kids chances of getting into a school? Are parents and kids discriminated against if their kids are not raised catholic? Schools are funded and teachers paid by the TAX paid by anyone working in this country no matter if they have a creed or no creed. Therefore it is logical to assume that that kids chance is not decreased if they are not baptised catholic.

This follows on from Filthy saying the Catholic Church's influence is controlling other aspects of Irish life.

And yes I support the option of assisting dying in certain circumstances

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

The problem with most schools is the catholic ethos

I had my baptism revoked and cancelled and resigned from the catholic church and yet had to get my kids baptised to get into the local schools

I've never attended communion or confirmations for my kids and yet on my daughter her school threatened to cancel her confirmation if i didnt go to a few masses with her and get her book stamped to prove we were then

East / North, Cork

It's not so true any more. My kids arent baptised. Plenty of schools dont require it now.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"The problem with most schools is the catholic ethos

I had my baptism revoked and cancelled and resigned from the catholic church and yet had to get my kids baptised to get into the local schools

I've never attended communion or confirmations for my kids and yet on my daughter her school threatened to cancel her confirmation if i didnt go to a few masses with her and get her book stamped to prove we were then

"

my girls go to a catholic school. However I wasnt asked for their baptism certificates or their religious status when I put their names down. and they got in no problem and there is a good few muslim and non religious students in the school also

By *elfastSteamWhistleMan  over a year ago

bangor

I'm in Northern Ireland so my opinion holds no water, however what I've always found strange is that this is often debated, but yet suicide is never included and still stigmatised.

East / North, Cork

We want be doing communions either. If it doesnt suit you then just dont do it. These guys only have the power you give to them

"I'm in Northern Ireland so my opinion holds no water, however what I've always found strange is that this is often debated, but yet suicide is never included and still stigmatised. "

Well they are two completely differnt things really.

Most people who have suicidal thoughts or attempts who survive and get treatment and thankfully recover are so fucking grateful they didn't follow through.

Assisted death isn't something that comes from a mental health issue

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"I'm in Northern Ireland so my opinion holds no water, however what I've always found strange is that this is often debated, but yet suicide is never included and still stigmatised.

Most people who have suicidal thoughts or attempts who survive and get treatment and thankfully recover are so fucking grateful they didn't follow through.

Assisted death isn't something that comes from a mental health issue"

I was just about to say the same thing. What they are debating is a form of suicide but the difference is that it will happen in very limited circumstances. The word itself will not be seen in any documentation relating to the legislation, for obvious reasons

By *avie tCouple  over a year ago

otherside of nowhere

Agree in certain limited circumstances but not to resolve mental health issues...it was debated by someone that they should be allowed as they had suffered all their lives with severe depression but it was argued that ppl can recover from depression and that should always be the aim....

Having watched a parent suffer horrifically for the last year of their life and tell me they wanted it to be over I would be behind this completely.

Absolutely behind this. Each to their own. Sovereignty over your own life and body is a must. If you are suffering and have that option to check out sooner rather than later, that's a humane and civilised way to go.

Yes. But they fought hard till the end. I remember a lady in England who had and agonizing year to live she told all her family the government stopped her from leaving the country and she wanted to go in peace not the long drawn out vegetable type way. Within a she smuggled (I think) out and got the pill. To hear her story in words and her family is tough and very understandable. Look at the was 90 or over 100 aussie scientist and professor.

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"In certain circumstances and situations yes I completely agree with it. I've seen people dying in awful pain and slowly over a period of time and it is an awful way for someone to die suffering like that. Especially when there is no hope of recovery. "

Same here, when you see what some people have to endure you have to ask why. But it is also very complex as there are a lot of things to consider mostly when where and how and who. If it was me though I would want the choice, I dont know would I be brave enough to take it but a least i would have the option knowing what i was facing.

"I'm in Northern Ireland so my opinion holds no water, however what I've always found strange is that this is often debated, but yet suicide is never included and still stigmatised.

Assisted death isn't something that comes from a mental health issue

I was just about to say the same thing. What they are debating is a form of suicide but the difference is that it will happen in very limited circumstances. The word itself will not be seen in any documentation relating to the legislation, for obvious reasons "

I think euthanasia in this context, would be for someone who has no chance of recovery, and are in constant physical pain, physically crippled etc, with no quality of life. I think with suicidal people its a different story, as it would be impossible to rule that they will never recover. I couldnt see it being made legal any time soon.

Definitely welcomed and like most here I've seen a family member suffer needlessly.

But I do think it's a relatively recent thing to let people suffer in the name of prolonging the inevitable, at least now it's a step forward to let them decide, but under the right conditions...

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

I always said I'd like the opportunity to check out on my terms and not go through the indignity of withering away on a hospital bed being gawked at and pitied.

I think everyone should be afforded that right should they choose to do so.

By *1CorkCouple  over a year ago

Cork

Assisted death makes sense where assisted life has brought you to a certain age where the body and/or mind start to pack in. Modern health treatments have brought the average life expectancy to a level at which the risk of multiple conditions increases while strength to endure the pain diminishes.

Not religious ourselves, but if people are free to choose assisted death and non-monogamous lifestyles, then all power to those who choose religion. I’d hate if we used our new found freedom from the Catholic Church to denigrate the remaining adherents. It seems to creep in a lot to these discussions but being magnanimous in victory on things like Assisted Dying may be the greatest demonstration of success over church control.

Back on point, it’s being a burden on my partner and kids rather than enduring pain of an ailment or suffering through treatment that’d attract me to assisted dying - loss of mind worse prospect than any physical pain for me personally.

I'm absolutely for it. I spent years working as a carer in a nursing home, and often felt so sad at the quality of life a large proportion of our elderly have. We wouldn't put a dog through what we insist on putting them through and many have no dignity at all in their final years. It's not right.

Even my own granny now, who I'm as close to as I am to my mum, is living a life that is absolutely below her and it breaks my heart to know that her body could go on for another 10 years while her mind has turned to absolute mush.

Of course there are some major issues with euthanasia such as the issue of consent. But I'm still very much for it and really hope I see it legalised in my lifetime.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

I watched my own mother die from cancer. I was told the week before she died she would have a year to live from her diagnosis. She had already suffered so much. A week later she passed away as devastated as it was i can say I'm glad she didn't have to suffer no more. And knowing my mum if the option was available she would of taken it. Too ease her pain but also to ease it for us she would hate us watching her suffer knowing the outcome would be she be taken from us.

By *unnitoesWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

"I'm absolutely for it. I spent years working as a carer in a nursing home, and often felt so sad at the quality of life a large proportion of our elderly have. We wouldn't put a dog through what we insist on putting them through and many have no dignity at all in their final years. It's not right.

Even my own granny now, who I'm as close to as I am to my mum, is living a life that is absolutely below her and it breaks my heart to know that her body could go on for another 10 years while her mind has turned to absolute mush.

Of course there are some major issues with euthanasia such as the issue of consent. But I'm still very much for it and really hope I see it legalised in my lifetime. "

I hear ya my mum recently passed away having suffered vascular dementia. Her passing was slow and laboured. I'd say mum would have opted for assisted dying had she known what was ahead of her but therein lies a problem....how do we agree to our own euthansia without knowing what's gonna happen xx

Belfast

"I watched my own mother die from cancer. I was told the week before she died she would have a year to live from her diagnosis. She had already suffered so much. A week later she passed away as devastated as it was i can say I'm glad she didn't have to suffer no more. And knowing my mum if the option was available she would of taken it. Too ease her pain but also to ease it for us she would hate us watching her suffer knowing the outcome would be she be taken from us. "

So sorry about your mum

By *oadrunner2000Man  over a year ago

city centre

"I think it's another sign (after gay marriage, abortion, divorce waiting time etc) that the church no longer has control over the hearts and minds in Ireland. Thank fuck. "
well said

"

I hear ya my mum recently passed away having suffered vascular dementia. Her passing was slow and laboured. I'd say mum would have opted for assisted dying had she known what was ahead of her but therein lies a problem....how do we agree to our own euthansia without knowing what's gonna happen xx "

I know this is one of the biggest criticisms of assisted dying and I totally understand the concerns. I think that in other countries where it's legal, most people opt for it when diagnosed with dementia as opposed to when they've had it for years and have already lost the capacity to make those decisions. But that just opens up a whole other can of worms re the diagnosis of dementia in Ireland. It's complicated for sure.

Belfast

"

I hear ya my mum recently passed away having suffered vascular dementia. Her passing was slow and laboured. I'd say mum would have opted for assisted dying had she known what was ahead of her but therein lies a problem....how do we agree to our own euthansia without knowing what's gonna happen xx

I know this is one of the biggest criticisms of assisted dying and I totally understand the concerns. I think that in other countries where it's legal, most people opt for it when diagnosed with dementia as opposed to when they've had it for years and have already lost the capacity to make those decisions. But that just opens up a whole other can of worms re the diagnosis of dementia in Ireland. It's complicated for sure. "

Yes you're right. Many times through her illness mum said she wanted to die but by then she had been diagnosed and not of 'sound mind'....however there were momentscof 'sound mind', but that's not enough.

I watched the lead up to Diane Pretty asking for euthanasia, she was very brave

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

"I watched my own mother die from cancer. I was told the week before she died she would have a year to live from her diagnosis. She had already suffered so much. A week later she passed away as devastated as it was i can say I'm glad she didn't have to suffer no more. And knowing my mum if the option was available she would of taken it. Too ease her pain but also to ease it for us she would hate us watching her suffer knowing the outcome would be she be taken from us.

So sorry about your mum "

sorry for your mum too xx

100% for it. Why should someone else's religious views force me or a loved one to suffer tribute pain?

By *aneMarpleWoman  over a year ago

dublin

It's about time we moved in this direction. People should be allowed to choose. The argument against doesn't hold water imo living wills are a good thing. Watching someone live when they want to be dead, dying slowly in pain it's inhumane.

By *rmrspumpCouple  over a year ago

narnia

A good friend has had a family member at deaths door for 3 weeks now, he was given a couple of days but is lingering on, the man has asked to die numerous times and the pain and anguish it's causing to the family is heartbreaking, why a civilised society can not just allow, but force this to happen is absolutely beyond me

By *lightlySamMan  over a year ago

dublin 6

If a person is in a persistive vegetative state, the immediate family have a legal right to stop all outside medical intervention that might be keeping that person "alive". So why can't someone of sound mind who has been given all the proper support choose to go out on their own terms by their own will.

"A good friend has had a family member at deaths door for 3 weeks now, he was given a couple of days but is lingering on, the man has asked to die numerous times and the pain and anguish it's causing to the family is heartbreaking, why a civilised society can not just allow, but force this to happen is absolutely beyond me"
But i persume the person is not in pain and prob on morphine pump. The pain is for the family to see there loved one linger.

By *rmrspumpCouple  over a year ago

narnia

"A good friend has had a family member at deaths door for 3 weeks now, he was given a couple of days but is lingering on, the man has asked to die numerous times and the pain and anguish it's causing to the family is heartbreaking, why a civilised society can not just allow, but force this to happen is absolutely beyond meBut i persume the person is not in pain and prob on morphine pump. The pain is for the family to see there loved one linger."

The loved one has no dignity, is terminal and literally waiting to die, as I said he has asked both the family and the medical staff numerous times to be allowed to die. I'm really not sure what your point about pain free and morphine have to do with it

By *oadrunner2000Man  over a year ago

city centre

amen to that....

Having watched my mum die slowly and painfully from cancer many years ago. I think if she had the choice , she would have taken it as she knew she was terminal. At the time I prayed for her to die to release her from all the pain. In the end it was a merciful release. I have already told my kids that if I ever become vegative to pull the plug. So I would personally go for assisted dying sooner than seeing my family suffer the agony of waiting for me to go.

[Removed by poster at 29/03/21 09:04:06]

By *nquisitive ladyWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

"Having watched my mum die slowly and painfully from cancer many years ago. I think if she had the choice , she would have taken it as she knew she was terminal. At the time I prayed for her to die to release her from all the pain. In the end it was a merciful release. I have already told my kids that if I ever become vegative to pull the plug. So I would personally go for assisted dying sooner than seeing my family suffer the agony of waiting for me to go."

I can sympathise with you fully as my situation was similar. When my Dad finally passed away I felt relief that his suffering was finally over. Its the most heartbreaking thing to ever watch. I too would give someone the right to chose rather than go through this again.

"Having watched my mum die slowly and painfully from cancer many years ago. I think if she had the choice , she would have taken it as she knew she was terminal. At the time I prayed for her to die to release her from all the pain. In the end it was a merciful release. I have already told my kids that if I ever become vegative to pull the plug. So I would personally go for assisted dying sooner than seeing my family suffer the agony of waiting for me to go.

I can sympathise with you fully as my situation was similar. When my Dad finally passed away I felt relief that his suffering was finally over. Its the most heartbreaking thing to ever watch. I too would give someone the right to chose rather than go through this again. "

By *rprotonMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Are you sure you are not from the DC universe? You are so dark!

Jokes aside, yeah, I do believe in compassionate termination of life on the grounds of what all of people have said already... but, yes, each case is special and as such must be considered extremely carefully.

» Add a new message to this topic