FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Mickey Harte

Mickey Harte

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rishunicorn OP   Man  over a year ago

Cookstown

So Mickey is gone. One of a few mangers with minor, u21 and senior All Ireland’s.

Is he in top 5 of greatest managers ever?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I'd put him in the top 3 for consistency and the level of success over the years. As an Armagh supporter he was never my favourite person but I can applaud all he has achieved even in the face of great personal loss.

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

He'll certainly be high up in terms of dedication and commitment, not to mention the ability to get teams to punch above their weight.

I'd have had a lot of respect for him over the years, not because of the way his teams played football because I cringed watching them, but simply because of his ability to bring mediocre teams much further than they should have got.

I lost a fair deal of that respect when he didn't quit after Dublin beat them in 2018 though. He really should have seen that the jig was up at that point and that a new approach was needed.

Lucan

"I'd put him in the top 3 for consistency and the level of success over the years. As an Armagh supporter he was never my favourite person but I can applaud all he has achieved even in the face of great personal loss. "

Cookstown

"He'll certainly be high up in terms of dedication and commitment, not to mention the ability to get teams to punch above their weight.

I'd have had a lot of respect for him over the years, not because of the way his teams played football because I cringed watching them, but simply because of his ability to bring mediocre teams much further than they should have got.

I lost a fair deal of that respect when he didn't quit after Dublin beat them in 2018 though. He really should have seen that the jig was up at that point and that a new approach was needed. "

1st of lay of the drugs lol. To call Tyrone a mediocre team is madness. There forward line was impeccable Peter Canavan, mulligan, O’neill and Dooher etc top top top performers.

Lucan

"He'll certainly be high up in terms of dedication and commitment, not to mention the ability to get teams to punch above their weight.

I lost a fair deal of that respect when he didn't quit after Dublin beat them in 2018 though. He really should have seen that the jig was up at that point and that a new approach was needed.

1st of lay of the drugs lol. To call Tyrone a mediocre team is madness. There forward line was impeccable Peter Canavan, mulligan, O’neill and Dooher etc top top top performers.

"

I'm give you Canavan and Stephen O'Neill alright... Class acts.

Mulligan on his day. He was more strong than classy. Valuable member of any team though and deserves a lot of credit for at least one All Ireland win.

Dooher was a workhorse with an impressive engine and very influential but he'd never make my list of classy players.

Also, they're all in the past.

Interestingly, you didn't mention my favourite Tyrone footballer of the Harte era.. Seán Kavanagh.

Peter Harte is another I enjoyed watching.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I lost any respect for him when he gave a character reference for a man who sexually assaulted a woman and threw her out of a van while she was half naked

When she was found the people that found her thought she was dead.

He gave him a reference because he came from a good GAA family

What a prick

Cookstown

I'm give you Canavan and Stephen O'Neill alright... Class acts.

Mulligan on his day. He was more strong than classy. Valuable member of any team though and deserves a lot of credit for at least one All Ireland win.

Dooher was a workhorse with an impressive engine and very influential but he'd never make my list of classy players.

Also, they're all in the past.

Interestingly, you didn't mention my favourite Tyrone footballer of the Harte era.. Seán Kavanagh.

Peter Harte is another I enjoyed watching. "

I can’t disagree with your view on Mulligan and Dooher.

I’m not a fan of Cavanagh

Harte defo classy

Cookstown

"I lost any respect for him when he gave a character reference for a man who sexually assaulted a woman and threw her out of a van while she was half naked

What a prick "

All very true

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So Mickey is gone. One of a few mangers with minor, u21 and senior All Ireland’s.

Is he in top 5 of greatest managers ever? "

Not many people stay an inter county Senior manager for 18 years , he brought an intensity to Tyrone to win their 3 All Ireland senior football titles ,but in the great History of outstanding managers that have been with teams i dont think top 5 but definitly top 10 ,as l think great senior managers stick the ol' back to back or the 3, 4,5 in a row which have been acheived by managers throughout the history of the GAA.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"I lost any respect for him when he gave a character reference for a man who sexually assaulted a woman and threw her out of a van while she was half naked

What a prick "

That's nuts considering what happened to his daughter

Cookstown

"So Mickey is gone. One of a few mangers with minor, u21 and senior All Ireland’s.

Not many people stay an inter county Senior manager for 18 years , he brought an intensity to Tyrone to win their 3 All Ireland senior football titles ,but in the great History of outstanding managers that have been with teams i dont think top 5 but definitly top 10 ,as l think great senior managers stick the ol' back to back or the 3, 4,5 in a row which have been acheived by managers throughout the history of the GAA."

I think you’re wrong and I’m not a Mickey Harte fan.

To win minor, u21 and Senior All Ireland automatically puts you as a great manager. It’s a hard feat and few have succeeded. If any! I think Jack O’Connor maybe.

[Removed by poster at 14/11/20 10:26:29]

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

What a prick

I presume you’d hold Mick Galwey to the same standard then when he stood up in court and gave a character reference for a d*unk driver who caused the deaths of 2 children because he came from a

Good rugby family

We can all play this game "

A woman being r**ed is not a game

The thread was started about one man but if you start a thread on Mick Galway I'll also call him a prick

A great manager who suffered a number of blows both to his teams and personally.

Probably should have left after the all ireland defeat.

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

What a prick "

Didn't know that. Similar to Mick Galway who gave evidence in court in defence of a Rugby International who killed a teenager while drink driving. No thought for the boy and his family, it was disgraceful. Mrs.

Cookstown

"A great manager who suffered a number of blows both to his teams and personally.

Probably should have left after the all ireland defeat.

"

Agree totally

By *ore of thatMan  over a year ago

skerries

Never a bigfan of him or the way his team played .. but he did what he had to do to win games . Some great players over the years canavan cavanagh and who can forget. mcmanaman .boy did he do a job on many a great forward . Not always in a sporting way .but he did what he was told to do .

So .he is gone . Hope tyrone supporters treat him with respect .

Old saying ..you never miss the water until the well runs dry ... best ofluck from a Dublin supporter

By *aucyladMan  over a year ago

Dublin

May have outstayed his time as manager maybe 2 years ago but without doubt got the most from his Tyrone teams.He gave them a renewed purpose, the one challenge he did face however was the game changed and his tactic only altered slightly,build on a possession and work ethic, there was a science to it also in terms of drawing teams out.Most teams in the modern era took abit of Tyrone with them as they adapted.Cork last weekend, chased in numbers and packs.Tyrone started that game a while back, his positional sense of where players play was exceptional, some may not have liked it but he kept Tyrone in the top 6 year in and year out over 2 decades almost. To win Minor and U21 also showed hes a man who delves deep into game management and got the most from their players.Id put it this way, if he had 18 years with Mayo then he would absolutely of won them an All ireland or two.He faced great personal loss also and I hope he enjoys his retirement from the game.Its time for someone else to try a new game with Tyrone,replacing him may proof difficult

Is he in top 5 of greatest managers ever? "

Yes

Cookstown

"May have outstayed his time as manager maybe 2 years ago but without doubt got the most from his Tyrone teams.He gave them a renewed purpose, the one challenge he did face however was the game changed and his tactic only altered slightly,build on a possession and work ethic, there was a science to it also in terms of drawing teams out.Most teams in the modern era took abit of Tyrone with them as they adapted.Cork last weekend, chased in numbers and packs.Tyrone started that game a while back, his positional sense of where players play was exceptional, some may not have liked it but he kept Tyrone in the top 6 year in and year out over 2 decades almost. To win Minor and U21 also showed hes a man who delves deep into game management and got the most from their players.Id put it this way, if he had 18 years with Mayo then he would absolutely of won them an All ireland or two.He faced great personal loss also and I hope he enjoys his retirement from the game.Its time for someone else to try a new game with Tyrone,replacing him may proof difficult "

Very logical assessment and a fair one!

Up the rebels! It was like watching Tyrone in 03

By *j69funCouple  over a year ago

kildare

Amazing manager and great record to his name. But its time for a sack up in Tyrone.

Cookstown

"Amazing manager and great record to his name. But its time for a sack up in Tyrone. "

He resigned last night.

Tyrone for Sam 2021, 24 and 29

Not a fan of him in general. Micky may have given a lot of time to Tyrone but there was a lot of personal gain in it for him. Micky man a lot of money on the side.

Someone thought it'd be a good idea for him to come to our club once before a championship game for a motivational talk. When I heard what he got paid cash in hand afterwards for the crap he served up it was a disgrace.

Just another tax dodging cheat on the GAA merry go round.

Cookstown

"Not a fan of him in general. Micky may have given a lot of time to Tyrone but there was a lot of personal gain in it for him. Micky man a lot of money on the side.

Someone thought it'd be a good idea for him to come to our club once before a championship game for a motivational talk. When I heard what he got paid cash in hand afterwards for the crap he served up it was a disgrace.

Just another tax dodging cheat on the GAA merry go round. "

That’s no craic!!

How

Much lol

"Not a fan of him in general. Micky may have given a lot of time to Tyrone but there was a lot of personal gain in it for him. Micky man a lot of money on the side.

Just another tax dodging cheat on the GAA merry go round. "

How much?

And if you know he’s tax dodging,did you report him?

Not many people stay an inter county Senior manager for 18 years , he brought an intensity to Tyrone to win their 3 All Ireland senior football titles ,but in the great History of outstanding managers that have been with teams i dont think top 5 but definitly top 10 ,as l think great senior managers stick the ol' back to back or the 3, 4,5 in a row which have been acheived by managers throughout the history of the GAA.

To win minor, u21 and Senior All Ireland automatically puts you as a great manager. It’s a hard feat and few have succeeded. If any! I think Jack O’Connor maybe.

"

I never said he wasnt a great manager l only said that l think great SENIOR managers put the back to back titles or the 3,4 or 5 in a row in reference to the initailly asked question is he in the top 5 of greatest managers ever ..to which in my opinion he wouldnt make it into my top 5 but would be in my top 10..but thats the beauty of sport everyone has their own opinion.

Cookstown

I never said he wasnt a great manager l only said that l think great SENIOR managers put the back to back titles or the 3,4 or 5 in a row in reference to the initailly asked question is he in the top 5 of greatest managers ever ..to which in my opinion he wouldnt make it into my top 5 but would be in my top 10..but thats the beauty of sport everyone has their own opinion."

I missed the finer detail. 3 in a rows are rare now. So I’d not judge him on that too much.

Add into the mix how tough ulster football is

I never said he wasnt a great manager l only said that l think great SENIOR managers put the back to back titles or the 3,4 or 5 in a row in reference to the initailly asked question is he in the top 5 of greatest managers ever ..to which in my opinion he wouldnt make it into my top 5 but would be in my top 10..but thats the beauty of sport everyone has their own opinion.

I missed the finer detail. 3 in a rows are rare now. So I’d not judge him on that too much.

Add into the mix how tough ulster football is "

I fully agree with you regards the competitive Ulster football absolutely..and lm not judging him solely on that or back to backs etc etc ,come to think of it lm not judging him at all...HUGE SALUTE to him for what hes acheived in the game.. lm only saying he wouldnt be in my top 5 ..

Cookstown

I fully agree with you regards the competitive Ulster football absolutely..and lm not judging him solely on that or back to backs etc etc ,come to think of it lm not judging him at all...HUGE SALUTE to him for what hes acheived in the game.. lm only saying he wouldnt be in my top 5 .."

As a matter of interest who are in your top 5

By *ore of thatMan  over a year ago

skerries

1 mick odwyer

2 jim gavin .

3 sean boylan.

4 kevin heffernan

5 micky harte

Great singer too

RIP

I fully agree with you regards the competitive Ulster football absolutely..and lm not judging him solely on that or back to backs etc etc ,come to think of it lm not judging him at all...HUGE SALUTE to him for what hes acheived in the game.. lm only saying he wouldnt be in my top 5 ..

As a matter of interest who are in your top 5 "

In my time watching Gaelic football

Mick O Dwyer

Kevin Heffernan

Jim Gavin

Sean Boylan

Billy Morgan

Mickey Harte

Paidi O'Shea

Jack O'Connor

Eugene McGee

Brian Mciniff

Joe Kiernan.

....am sure the Galway and Down managers over the years would have been well worthy but i can only go with what I have seen and those mentioned have either won back to backs etc or their counties first titles or brought their county back after years in the wilderness such as Paidi who were without a title for 11 years.

» Add a new message to this topic