FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Rip off Ireland

Rip off Ireland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *outh_of_Eden OP   Man  over a year ago

visiting

Ok, this is a rant but I am sick to my back teeth of rip off Ireland. €8.10 for a very average pre made sandwich and a black americano...and before anyone says i shouldn't have bought it..I agree.

My point is after lockdown we are likely to see price hikes everywhere and this has got to stop. €8.10 in a shop means you have to earn €16 odd gross (assuming 50% tax) to pay for it. A friend of mine knows a garage owner and the fuel his says is a break even product...they make the profit on coffee and sambos....where is my tartan thermos flask...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Circle K...any size coffee plus sandwich €6

Do someone switch this site to boards.ie overnight

visiting

"Circle K...any size coffee plus sandwich €6

Do someone switch this site to boards.ie overnight "

Ha ha...it was a maxol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do someone switch this site to boards.ie overnight "

feels like it lately

feels like it lately"

No he posted here cos he got rode

visiting

feels like it lately

No he posted here cos he got rode "

It felt like it ...lol

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"Ok, this is a rant but I am sick to my back teeth of rip off Ireland. €8.10 for a very average pre made sandwich and a black americano...and before anyone says i shouldn't have bought it..I agree.

My point is after lockdown we are likely to see price hikes everywhere and this has got to stop. €8.10 in a shop means you have to earn €16 odd gross (assuming 50% tax) to pay for it. A friend of mine knows a garage owner and the fuel his says is a break even product...they make the profit on coffee and sambos....where is my tartan thermos flask... "

Pretty much no profit is made on the sale of petrol and diesel for the garage owner.. Maybe a cent a litre.. 70% of a litre of derv and petrol is tax and goes straight to the government.. They only have pumps to attract customers inside to buy items in their shops which is how they make a profit..

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I supplied a particular service to the licensed and hospitality trade for more than 20 years.

Profit margins were extremely tight and we relied on volume.

When we first started out the margins were split 80/20 in our favour as we covered all the overheads such as fuel, insurance and maintenance.

As time went on however the vintners and hoteliers got greedier and demanded a bigger cut despite having no input or outlay at all.

Eventually that ratio was flipped on its head and they were receiving 70 percent of the profits as it was the only way we could continue to trade but it wasn't sustainable even by subsidising it with something else so we had to close 8 years ago along with every other company supplying the same service.

The greed of one particular industry caused another to collapse and disappear completely.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I rather eat nothing than one of those premade sandwiches. They're disgusting and madly overpriced. I travel quite a lot WHEN I work, most of the time I bring my own homemade sandwich and flask with me (it has to be Barry's).

On the odd occasions I get a freshly made sandwich from the Deli counter and cappuccino at the N4 Lucan petrol station, the one that is full of cops all the time.

By *ebel_LionMan  over a year ago

cork

absolutely...and if you make it yourself you know whats in it......otherwise better off spending the extra couple of quid and getting something decent

Until your willing to say no I'm not going to pay those silly prices out loud then they will continue to think they are acceptable prices. And there's no point in just walking out the door in silence,you need to point it out that the prices are excessive

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

The few times I have had to travel anywhere in the last year I have packed food and flask as I don't want to go into the garages if I can avoid it and as DH said those sandwiches are gross as well as overpriced.

somewhere

I'm usually on the road for lunch twice a week

Always get a coffee and sandwich in a circle K with a deli that makes the sandwich fresh

€6 is worth it considering I'm allowed claim either €15 or €33 in expenses by the government

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

"I rather eat nothing than one of those premade sandwiches. They're disgusting and madly overpriced. I travel quite a lot WHEN I work, most of the time I bring my own homemade sandwich and flask with me (it has to be Barry's).

On the odd occasions I get a freshly made sandwich from the Deli counter and cappuccino at the N4 Lucan petrol station, the one that is full of cops all the time. "

I got a tuna sambo and a cuppa there yesterday

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

why not do a list?decent places to grab a coffee and a sambo or a few goujons

was in my local supervalu this morning and noticed the price of a lot of things are starting to creep up

visiting

"I'm usually on the road for lunch twice a week

Always get a coffee and sandwich in a circle K with a deli that makes the sandwich fresh

€6 is worth it considering I'm allowed claim either €15 or €33 in expenses by the government "

€6 is very good, yes you can claim an 8hr or a 10 hr allowance against tax but for most its costing € 12 in earning to pay out the €6...

Was it a nice sandwich at least?

somewhere

€6 is worth it considering I'm allowed claim either €15 or €33 in expenses by the government

€6 is very good, yes you can claim an 8hr or a 10 hr allowance against tax but for most its costing € 12 in earning to pay out the €6..."

Yes agreed but when working its tax free otherwise its a home made sandwich in work

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

€6 is very good, yes you can claim an 8hr or a 10 hr allowance against tax but for most its costing € 12 in earning to pay out the €6..."

Only if you take it out of your higher tax band pay, if you take it out of your tax allowance pay then it’s at cost

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

I find it interesting how many people on the thread and in general buy their lunch every day. As the OP said at €8 a day you need to earn €16 so that's €80 p/w and €4000 per year assuming you buy it every day. I couldn't afford to do that so I make my own each day for a fraction of the price. Now I do have the occasional day where I buy lunch but I'm general I cant justify the cost. I get some like nice coffee but I'm a tea drinker so it's no great bother. In the end its down to market forces, if your willing to pay that much then the outlets will keep charging it.

"Ok, this is a rant but I am sick to my back teeth of rip off Ireland. €8.10 for a very average pre made sandwich and a black americano...and before anyone says i shouldn't have bought it..I agree.

My point is after lockdown we are likely to see price hikes everywhere and this has got to stop. €8.10 in a shop means you have to earn €16 odd gross (assuming 50% tax) to pay for it. A friend of mine knows a garage owner and the fuel his says is a break even product...they make the profit on coffee and sambos....where is my tartan thermos flask... "

Restrictions will be lifted soon....Heard an ad for Breakfast Rolls yesterday morning

By *azmanMan  over a year ago

Vera Playa

"Ok, this is a rant but I am sick to my back teeth of rip off Ireland. "

you should be grateful - what with lockdown its the only way you'll get screwed at the minute...

as an aside, prices in Spain going up. Expect the same here as businesses try to recoup lost earnings.

louth

Prescription meds are a rip off in the Republic but a short trip across the border you can get the same meds at a fraction of ROIs cost..

visiting

"Ok, this is a rant but I am sick to my back teeth of rip off Ireland.

you should be grateful - what with lockdown its the only way you'll get screwed at the minute...

as an aside, prices in Spain going up. Expect the same here as businesses try to recoup lost earnings. "

Id expect ourmtax will go up too...

visiting

"I find it interesting how many people on the thread and in general buy their lunch every day. As the OP said at €8 a day you need to earn €16 so that's €80 p/w and €4000 per year assuming you buy it every day. I couldn't afford to do that so I make my own each day for a fraction of the price. Now I do have the occasional day where I buy lunch but I'm general I cant justify the cost. I get some like nice coffee but I'm a tea drinker so it's no great bother. In the end its down to market forces, if your willing to pay that much then the outlets will keep charging it. "

I make my lunch when i can but its probbably 50% of the time i cant. I suppose i was in shock because itmwas so expensive. I wasnt expecting it..

visiting

"Was it a nice sandwich at least? "

No, I think that was what pissed me off the most...lol

By *angero3aMan  over a year ago

swords

yes big profit in coffee

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

It extends beyond sandwiches. I recently booked training course for employees in Ireland and UK. In the UK we were charged a dayrate of £600 for 12 attendees. All the Irish trainers were charging €300 - €400 per person for the same course.

By *B 4099Man  over a year ago

North West, Outer Letterkenny area

VAT has gone up on pretty much all food items. But hasn't really been discussed due to riots, Covid, elections, vaccines etc. But people are starting to notice their shopping is way higher and getting exactly the same as usual. Rents are beyond ridiculous.

on the hill NordWest of

It acually might be easier to list the non rip offs and the Irish governments over the last decades have a lot to do with rip off Ireland.

By *uttingstagsMan  over a year ago

Navan

"I rather eat nothing than one of those premade sandwiches. They're disgusting and madly overpriced. I travel quite a lot WHEN I work, most of the time I bring my own homemade sandwich and flask with me (it has to be Barry's).

On the odd occasions I get a freshly made sandwich from the Deli counter and cappuccino at the N4 Lucan petrol station, the one that is full of cops all the time. "

That place has a very good deli and the queue could be out the door and you’re still in and out in few minutes....

louth

"VAT has gone up on pretty much all food items. But hasn't really been discussed due to riots, Covid, elections, vaccines etc. But people are starting to notice their shopping is way higher and getting exactly the same as usual. Rents are beyond ridiculous. "

Really? I'm sure the government would make an announcement if that was the case.. Food prices are deliberately low because poor people spend most of their income on food.. Last thing we need is starving people to add to our list of other problems..

tipperary

The food shop has gone up...

Petrol....diesel has gone up...

louth

"The food shop has gone up...

Petrol....diesel has gone up..."

I shop in lidl and aldi.. Still the same price pre covid

Petrol and diesel has gone up because a barrel of crude oil has risen in price due to demand.. That was always the same..

somewhere

"VAT has gone up on pretty much all food items. But hasn't really been discussed due to riots, Covid, elections, vaccines etc. But people are starting to notice their shopping is way higher and getting exactly the same as usual. Rents are beyond ridiculous. "

As far as I know most food is zero rated for VAT

Rents...well due to the date I was born i never had to worry about rent thank god

feels like it lately"

It's hard to talk about swinging when no one is swinging

louth

"VAT has gone up on pretty much all food items. But hasn't really been discussed due to riots, Covid, elections, vaccines etc. But people are starting to notice their shopping is way higher and getting exactly the same as usual. Rents are beyond ridiculous.

As far as I know most food is zero rated for VAT

Rents...well due to the date I was born i never had to worry about rent thank god "

+1 no vat on food thank god

louth

Rents should have fallen when this pandemic hit but they still remain high.. Greedy landlords..

tipperary

Petrol and diesel has gone up because a barrel of crude oil has risen in price due to demand.. That was always the same.. "

2 days ago the wall street journal had an article saying oil prices had fallen 10% due to low demand

Petrol....diesel has gone up..."

My food shop has doubled in cost thanks to my son being at home

No idea on the cost of fuel as I so rarely have to get a fill - a positive of restrictions!

By *ecentguy321Man  over a year ago

nearby

Prices rise. And will continue. Theres some tough times ahead

Belfast

A lot of people commenting on the price differential between North and South but there are many other differences such as dole payments.

A qualified adult over the age of 26 in Ireland receives €335 according to Google and an unqualified adult €203.

In Northern Ireland qualifications are not taken into account.

18-24 year olds receive £58.90pw and 25 and over £74.35 regardless of who you are.

You won't be worrying about buying sandwiches on that.

why not just make a sandwich and a black coffee at home

By *sLittleRedRidingHoodWoman  over a year ago

Magical Forrest

Everything will go up... already seeing it with food,electricity,fuel.

Only in ireland.

The covid test is 149 euros.

In Germany and most of Europe 55euros and soon to be free.

Not here

Its a beautiful sunny spring morning .... we hammered England in rugby ... we all need to chill out out a wee bit .. as someone a few posts up said, lets chat about swinging ... or maybe plans for later in the year

By *rblue5kyMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

"why not do a list?decent places to grab a coffee and a sambo or a few goujons "

Mcdonalds coffee 99p and tastes pretty good

louth

Petrol and diesel has gone up because a barrel of crude oil has risen in price due to demand.. That was always the same..

2 days ago the wall street journal had an article saying oil prices had fallen 10% due to low demand"

Last month oil price had risen hence the spike in petrol diesel now but as you said oil prices are slumping and rightly so.. It will however take a number of weeks before we see a reflection of the falling prices at the pumps

Belfast

"why not do a list?decent places to grab a coffee and a sambo or a few goujons

Mcdonalds coffee 99p and tastes pretty good "

It's a well known fact they buy a higher quality bean than the so called big name coffee shops.

somewhere

It's a well known fact they buy a higher quality bean than the so called big name coffee shops. "

Always used to think it was the best coffee on the road until recently but just another thing the poster has highlighted

The coffee down here is €2.20 a cup or €3 with a toastie

Belfast

It's a well known fact they buy a higher quality bean than the so called big name coffee shops.

Always used to think it was the best coffee on the road until recently but just another thing the poster has highlighted

The coffee down here is €2.20 a cup or €3 with a toastie "

And wages are much higher also

somewhere

And wages are much higher also"

The Belfast company i work at gigs for pays the belfast staff about 5 euro an hour less than the Dublin staff even when we're all working at the same gig like slane

Belfast

The Belfast company i work at gigs for pays the belfast staff about 5 euro an hour less than the Dublin staff even when we're all working at the same gig like slane "

Less than 2 years ago I offered a job to a guy who was living up here but was from Dublin originally.

The position was a 38.5 hr week and the starting pay was £320 pw which was 60p an hour more than the minimum wage at that time.

He turned it down asking why he would consider a paltry offer like that when he could use his Dublin address to claim an equivalent amount in dole.

I know of other instances where people have refused to work in NI because they would be better off on the dole down South.

For most people crossing the border for years with the price differential it has always been rip-off Ireland.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

The Belfast company i work at gigs for pays the belfast staff about 5 euro an hour less than the Dublin staff even when we're all working at the same gig like slane

Less than 2 years ago I offered a job to a guy who was living up here but was from Dublin originally.

The position was a 38.5 hr week and the starting pay was £320 pw which was 60p an hour more than the minimum wage at that time.

He turned it down asking why he would consider a paltry offer like that when he could use his Dublin address to claim an equivalent amount in dole.

I know of other instances where people have refused to work in NI because they would be better off on the dole down South.

For most people crossing the border for years with the price differential it has always been rip-off Ireland. "

The dole in the Republic is around 200 euro even at a 1:1 exchange rate it's nowhere near equivalent

Belfast

For most people crossing the border for years with the price differential it has always been rip-off Ireland.

The dole in the Republic is around 200 euro even at a 1:1 exchange rate it's nowhere near equivalent"

I've no idea to be honest but that was his reason for refusing the job and before commenting I googled it and the figures given were €203 plus an additional €134.70 for a qualified adult which totals €337.70. Almost 5 times the rate in NI but equivalent to what we were able to pay him.

louth

The dole in the Republic is around 200 euro even at a 1:1 exchange rate it's nowhere near equivalent

I've no idea to be honest but that was his reason for refusing the job and before commenting I googled it and the figures given were €203 plus an additional €134.70 for a qualified adult which totals €337.70. Almost 5 times the rate in NI but equivalent to what we were able to pay him. "

Dont know where you are getting that 337 figure.. The standard rate is around 200 euro mark and with other expenses claimed like fuel and pet allowance it could rise to 250.. Its an awful lot of money for doing nothing but this is a welfare state always has been..

Belfast

I've no idea to be honest but that was his reason for refusing the job and before commenting I googled it and the figures given were €203 plus an additional €134.70 for a qualified adult which totals €337.70. Almost 5 times the rate in NI but equivalent to what we were able to pay him.

Dont know where you are getting that 337 figure.. The standard rate is around 200 euro mark and with other expenses claimed like fuel and pet allowance it could rise to 250.. Its an awful lot of money for doing nothing but this is a welfare state always has been.. "

The info is on Irishjobs.ie. I've no experience of it so have no idea but even at €200 it's 3 times what we get up here.

visiting

Mcdonalds coffee 99p and tastes pretty good "

If im not mistaken an americano in McD in the south is €2 or €2.10.. Lidl have a decent coffee for €1

on the hill NordWest of

If im not mistaken an americano in McD in the south is €2 or €2.10.. Lidl have a decent coffee for €1"

McDonald's coffee is undrinkable. And the lidl one is only good because of its price. The best cappuccino comes out of my coffee machine.

If im not mistaken an americano in McD in the south is €2 or €2.10.. Lidl have a decent coffee for €1

McDonald's coffee is undrinkable. And the lidl one is only good because of its price. The best cappuccino comes out of my coffee machine. "

Aghem....wrong. You'll find it's my machine that makes coffee beans sing Bohemian Rhapsody....just saying like

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

McDonald's coffee is undrinkable. And the lidl one is only good because of its price. The best cappuccino comes out of my coffee machine. "

Good morning DH

Agreed, coffee and tea is down to individual taste.

Don't buy coffee out anymore as I love my machine coffee at home too much.

McDonald's coffee is undrinkable. And the lidl one is only good because of its price. The best cappuccino comes out of my coffee machine.

Good morning DH

Agreed, coffee and tea is down to individual taste.

Don't buy coffee out anymore as I love my machine coffee at home too much. "

Same as that.. i take my coffee from home for my drive.. 3 nespresso pods in the morning will wake you up...

"Until your willing to say no I'm not going to pay those silly prices out loud then they will continue to think they are acceptable prices. And there's no point in just walking out the door in silence,you need to point it out that the prices are excessive"

The problem with doing that is your saying it to someone who has zero control over the price, isn't earning a huge amount themselves, had to listen and be polite to rude people all day.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Until your willing to say no I'm not going to pay those silly prices out loud then they will continue to think they are acceptable prices. And there's no point in just walking out the door in silence,you need to point it out that the prices are excessive

The problem with doing that is your saying it to someone who has zero control over the price, isn't earning a huge amount themselves, had to listen and be polite to rude people all day.

"

I agree by all means complain to the people who control the pricing .But complaining to a sales assistant who is usually on the lowest wage the employer can get away with paying just make you look like a twat. It happened to me so many times when I worked in a shop and usually was done because they know you answer back.

By *entleman PoliteMan  over a year ago

Mars

What about GP's whom are going to charge €30 per person vaccinated. I am not against vaccination. But get the army, fire brigade, etc... It will go faster and they will do as good of a job without the extra charge.

If they think the Gp's will take more time with patient don't dream they are talking of 10 mins per person. Ask 3 questions, jab, and Next!

» Add a new message to this topic