FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Teachers and Schooling

Teachers and Schooling

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man  over a year ago

Tipperary

people criticising that schools are on Easter hols this Friday for 2 weeks having not done "proper" schooling for over 2 months. now I inverted commas proper because id imagine some teachers and pupils/parents are going above and beyond. whats your take on it and should summer holidays be shortened? others think there is a good chance schools won't return until September after the Easter hols. were you looking for schools to reopen and are you happy your children are back/potentially going back?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Have you kids

Tipperary

"Have you kids"
no, i have cousins and relations who do. I have relations who are teachers. nothing to do with the thread. the thread topic and post is as clear as day, nothing to do with me having kids or not.

somewhere

"Have you kidsno, i have cousins and relations who do. I have relations who are teachers. nothing to do with the thread. the thread topic and post is as clear as day, nothing to do with me having kids or not. "

Just wondering if you had kids effected by this

Tipperary

"Have you kidsno, i have cousins and relations who do. I have relations who are teachers. nothing to do with the thread. the thread topic and post is as clear as day, nothing to do with me having kids or not.

Just wondering if you had kids effected by this "

nothing to do with it. you came in with a reply "have you kids". thats nothing to do with the OP. you can discuss the topic if you want.

somewhere

Im just wondering if you've effected by it or not.....looking for your opinion on the subject

Tipperary

"Im just wondering if you've effected by it or not.....looking for your opinion on the subject "
you know I don't have kids because you asked me before.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think everyone is happy for the two weeks off of home schooling or actual schooling, from the people I've spoken to.

Where are you hearing people complain?

Tipperary

"Im just wondering if you've effected by it or not.....looking for your opinion on the subject "
you didn't give your opinion. thats usually what someone does when they come in on an OP.

Tipperary

"I think everyone is happy for the two weeks off of home schooling or actual schooling, from the people I've spoken to.

"

all over the place. I have heard many wanting the school summer hols shortened to make up for lost time as home schooling is not near as effective as been in the classroom.

somewhere

"Im just wondering if you've effected by it or not.....looking for your opinion on the subject you know I don't have kids because you asked me before. "

No problem...i didn't remember asking before...

"I think everyone is happy for the two weeks off of home schooling or actual schooling, from the people I've spoken to.

all over the place. I have heard many wanting the school summer hols shortened to make up for lost time as home schooling is not near as effective as been in the classroom. "

Sorry I should clarify... is this speaking to people or phone ins..written articles etc..

I just find it fascinating that usually what you hear about the place is so often the opposite of what I hear from my social circles.

They need the break! It's been tough going back into a demanding environment.. As great as teachers have been, it's alot different to homeschooling and adjusting to the time schools were closed. They're no different to adults dealing with the changes we've experienced over the last year. Saying kids are resilient simply isn't true.. They need explanations, reassurance, consistency and honesty as much as adults (in kid friendly manner obviously).

Tipperary

all over the place. I have heard many wanting the school summer hols shortened to make up for lost time as home schooling is not near as effective as been in the classroom.

Sorry I should clarify... is this speaking to people or phone ins..written articles etc..

I just find it fascinating that usually what you hear about the place is so often the opposite of what I hear from my social circles."

people speaking is people speaking no matter where it is, whether its in person, face to face, on articles, on the radio etc. I know from reading an article a few weeks back, aside from covid there is calls to shorten our school summer holidays. nothing to do with the pandemic but the pandemic has highlighted that 3 months is too long. I wouldn't say many teachers would like that though.

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

We think there shouldn't be any mid-term and there should be a shortened summer holiday. But god forbid you should upset the snowflake teachers and their unions.

Btw, we have 4 kids between us, 1 in secondary and 3 in primary.

I don’t mind them being off for two weeks. I would be keen for my boy to go back after because it’s the social aspect that he would be missing out on. Like me, he is autistic (high functioning if you wanna call it that) and school has done wonders for his social skills and I would hate for him to miss out on that more than anything.

Tipperary

"They need the break! It's been tough going back into a demanding environment.. As great as teachers have been, it's alot different to homeschooling and adjusting to the time schools were closed. They're no different to adults dealing with the changes we've experienced over the last year. Saying kids are resilient simply isn't true.. They need explanations, reassurance, consistency and honesty as much as adults (in kid friendly manner obviously). "
ye, i have a friend, his son (16) is in his room a few hours each day doing schoolwork. the father told me the young lad is starting to crack and he can't wait to go back into the classroom. it's hard on teachers but what school kids have entailed with their school life and life outside of school is unreal.

Tipperary

"We think there shouldn't be any mid-term and there should be a shortened summer holiday. But god forbid you should upset the snowflake teachers and their unions.

Btw, we have 4 kids between us, 1 in secondary and 3 in primary."

you're entitled to your opinion and others do think similar.

Tipperary

"I don’t mind them being off for two weeks. I would be keen for my boy to go back after because it’s the social aspect that he would be missing out on. Like me, he is autistic (high functioning if you wanna call it that) and school has done wonders for his social skills and I would hate for him to miss out on that more than anything."
yep, so much more to been in school than just schoolwork.

"people speaking is people speaking no matter where it is, whether its in person, face to face, on articles, on the radio etc. I know from reading an article a few weeks back, aside from covid there is calls to shorten our school summer holidays. nothing to do with the pandemic but the pandemic has highlighted that 3 months is too long. I wouldn't say many teachers would like that though. "

I'm genuinely asking though. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just clarify.

But anyway my point was its funny how we all hear different things out in the world

Tipperary

"people speaking is people speaking no matter where it is, whether its in person, face to face, on articles, on the radio etc. I know from reading an article a few weeks back, aside from covid there is calls to shorten our school summer holidays. nothing to do with the pandemic but the pandemic has highlighted that 3 months is too long. I wouldn't say many teachers would like that though.

I'm genuinely asking though. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just clarify.

But anyway my point was its funny how we all hear different things out in the world"

I wouldn't call it funny, thats the way the world is.

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Can you imagine what sort effect this on gonna have on the kids if they dont go back school after easter?

A lot of teenagers are alright at breaking point.

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

all over the place. I have heard many wanting the school summer hols shortened to make up for lost time as home schooling is not near as effective as been in the classroom. "

The school year hasnt been shortened. Parents have been given support and online classes from the beginning of this year. If the people you are talking to want schools open longer it's because they want free babysitters not because they kids have missed days. Every teacher we know and have dealt with were on the go morning noon and night prepping classes and correcting work in a completely new environment.

"Can you imagine what sort effect this on gonna have on the kids if they dont go back school after easter?

"

It's going to be a pain in the ass. We were told yesterday to make sure ours bring all their books home as a precaution.

"Can you imagine what sort effect this on gonna have on the kids if they dont go back school after easter?

"

Ya hopefully all the adults can follow simple guidelines to hopefully keep the children's education and development as a priority

Tipperary

The school year hasnt been shortened. Parents have been given support and online classes from the beginning of this year. If the people you are talking to want schools open longer it's because they want free babysitters not because they kids have missed days. Every teacher we know and have dealt with were on the go morning noon and night prepping classes and correcting work in a completely new environment. "

absolutely most parents want schools to return. thats stating the obvious. imagine the burden of parents trying to homeschool with kids on top of everything else they have to do also.

Tipperary

"

most deffo. kids are been destroyed.

The school year hasnt been shortened. Parents have been given support and online classes from the beginning of this year. If the people you are talking to want schools open longer it's because they want free babysitters not because they kids have missed days. Every teacher we know and have dealt with were on the go morning noon and night prepping classes and correcting work in a completely new environment. absolutely most parents want schools to return. thats stating the obvious. imagine the burden of parents trying to homeschool with kids on top of everything else they have to do also. "

Can I ask where you heard that covid has highlighted the fact that 3 months is too long of a break ? Or who highlighted it.

Tipperary

"

id say schools will open after Easter having been closed for so long.

Tipperary

The school year hasnt been shortened. Parents have been given support and online classes from the beginning of this year. If the people you are talking to want schools open longer it's because they want free babysitters not because they kids have missed days. Every teacher we know and have dealt with were on the go morning noon and night prepping classes and correcting work in a completely new environment. absolutely most parents want schools to return. thats stating the obvious. imagine the burden of parents trying to homeschool with kids on top of everything else they have to do also.

Can I ask where you heard that covid has highlighted the fact that 3 months is too long of a break ? Or who highlighted it. "

an article i read weeks ago. don't know the author but im not a bit surprised that it was raised. Imo 3 months summer holidays is too long.

Tipperary

most parents wanted schools closed post xmas and rightly so with the case numbers. 7 or 8 weeks later and parents wanted them back in school mostly. its only natural.

"Imo 3 months summer holidays is too long. "

Can I ask your thoughts/reasons for 3 months being too long.

I think kids need both that time off and also the idea of that time off during during year...

I think alot more kids would disengage with the whole academic year if the summer holidays were shortened...

It would all feel like one giant slog through the year.

Christ working with 6 weeks holidays as an adults is bad enough

Tipperary

"Imo 3 months summer holidays is too long.

I think kids need both that time off and also the idea of that time off during during year...

I think alot more kids would disengage with the whole academic year if the summer holidays were shortened...

Christ working with 6 weeks holidays as an adults is bad enough "

the length of time in itself. I think the UK have 6 weeks, its ample. there is no need for a 3 month break all in one go. a school year is short enough as it is with the other holidays.

Christ working with 6 weeks holidays as an adults is bad enough the length of time in itself. I think the UK have 6 weeks, its ample. there is no need for a 3 month break all in one go. a school year is short enough as it is with the other holidays. "

I think I'll have to raise the point about you making statement's without fact checking again. Kids here don't get 3 months off. I know you don't have kids but you are at pains to point out how much detail friends and family give you in such topics. One can only assume they are winding you up or you are making it up as you go along. It could be a great discussion if you spent the smallest bit of time checking your comments first

Tipperary

Christ working with 6 weeks holidays as an adults is bad enough the length of time in itself. I think the UK have 6 weeks, its ample. there is no need for a 3 month break all in one go. a school year is short enough as it is with the other holidays.

I think I'll have to raise the point about you making statement's without fact checking again. Kids here don't get 3 months off. I know you don't have kids but you are at pains to point out how much detail friends and family give you in such topics. One can only assume they are winding you up or you are making it up as you go along. It could be a great discussion if you spent the smallest bit of time checking your comments first "

so kids don't finish on summer hols the end of May and don't go back until the end of August?

One here who still hasnt gone back, schooling has gone to shit because all the other years are back now so teachers are focussing on the ones actually in school. Homeschooling is completely crap, the year has been completely lost in my oppinion.

There should be no half term and the school holidays should be shortened. Just taking the piss now tbh.

Mrs S

By *iss3BWoman  over a year ago

north down

Christ working with 6 weeks holidays as an adults is bad enough the length of time in itself. I think the UK have 6 weeks, its ample. there is no need for a 3 month break all in one go. a school year is short enough as it is with the other holidays.

I think I'll have to raise the point about you making statement's without fact checking again. Kids here don't get 3 months off. I know you don't have kids but you are at pains to point out how much detail friends and family give you in such topics. One can only assume they are winding you up or you are making it up as you go along. It could be a great discussion if you spent the smallest bit of time checking your comments first so kids don't finish on summer hols the end of May and don't go back until the end of August? "

My school ends end of June and back last week August, teachers usually back week before then

Tipperary

I think I'll have to raise the point about you making statement's without fact checking again. Kids here don't get 3 months off. I know you don't have kids but you are at pains to point out how much detail friends and family give you in such topics. One can only assume they are winding you up or you are making it up as you go along. It could be a great discussion if you spent the smallest bit of time checking your comments first so kids don't finish on summer hols the end of May and don't go back until the end of August?

My school ends end of June and back last week August, teachers usually back week before then

"

6 weeks or so for kids?

Tipperary

"One here who still hasnt gone back, schooling has gone to shit because all the other years are back now so teachers are focussing on the ones actually in school. Homeschooling is completely crap, the year has been completely lost in my oppinion.

There should be no half term and the school holidays should be shortened. Just taking the piss now tbh.

Mrs S"

alot of kids have missed a large chunk of 2 years.

By *exysam and StuartCouple  over a year ago

over the hills and far away

Well I for one think my child deserves a break, sitting in front of a computer from 9-4 with full classes each day plus homework is tough. Her teachers are doing the best they can in a situation none of us could foresee

yeah i know some parents saying this too, esp primary school not so much secondary.

I was happy to see them going back. A bit of a break of homeschooling from unprepared parents, and for them to see their friends and try to get back to track somehow. I hope they can go back again after Easter break. Me constantly hoping for going back to "normal" A-S-A-P

And yes to forget about school for a while will be good too. For everyone! If we survived the apocalypse, we will survive ONE "mediocre" school year.

By *iss3BWoman  over a year ago

north down

I think I'll have to raise the point about you making statement's without fact checking again. Kids here don't get 3 months off. I know you don't have kids but you are at pains to point out how much detail friends and family give you in such topics. One can only assume they are winding you up or you are making it up as you go along. It could be a great discussion if you spent the smallest bit of time checking your comments first so kids don't finish on summer hols the end of May and don't go back until the end of August?

6 weeks or so for kids?"

Well 7 or 8 in no way is it 3 months up here

I'm happy for my children (and their teachers) to have their usual holidays. They all need them. I have one teenager who has been back at school now for 3 weeks due to falling in the vulnerable children category because of severe mental health issues, and the other due to go back on 12th April. I'm happy for them to go back

This thread proposes the question of extending the school year?

In essence it's a thread about teachers working conditions and contractual obligations.?

1. Teachers. Primary. Secondary. third level have fulfilled their contractual obligations in 2020/21.

2. Extending the school year (into the summer)to Make teachers have a longer working year does not address the most basic question. Is it necessary for the children?

3. The academic pipeline that is the teaching year addresses the balance of children's needs via education and personal growth. The summer recess is a time for sunshine and freckled faces. Not to endure extra school time to balance out teachers perceived small working footprint, or for that matter any sense of loss of IQ points that are children have endured. They have not. Their intellect and sense of enquiry is determined by questions and wonder. That has not diminished.

4. This has been the most dynamic forced educational change to our children's academic journey ever. It has been stressful beyond belief for them. sitting at home all day addresses academia but not human growth in what we would have expected for our loved ones.

8. Primary children's summer recess is 8wks OP.

Good luck with your thread OP. Discourse should always be cherished with interesting questions. The question for me in this matter is our children. Not our teachers contracts. But they are linked obvs which is why I addressed this thread.

6 weeks or so for kids?

Well 7 or 8 in no way is it 3 months up here "

Yeah it usually averages out around 8 weeks. It's definitely not 3 months

By *parklySassWoman  over a year ago

Sassville

Kids up North dont have a 3mth summer break...as someone said they finish end of June and start back last week in August. Any of my Sourthern friends kids dont have either... Maybe different Counties have different rules?!

Just wondering OP if you did have kids and you were having to home school them, would your opinion maybe change?

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Secondary school students get their holidays the end of may. In normal circumstances the exam year students would sit their exams in june. Primary school students and pre school finish the last week in june and are back the last week in september in my girls schools. Personally am happy for them to have their easter holidays and while we wont get to go anywhere for a holiday in the summer, there are still plenty of activities to do locally (fingers crossed they extend the travel area)

Tipperary

"Kids up North dont have a 3mth summer break...as someone said they finish end of June and start back last week in August. Any of my Sourthern friends kids dont have either... Maybe different Counties have different rules?!

Just wondering OP if you did have kids and you were having to home school them, would your opinion maybe change? "

bar you're doing your leaving or junior here, the summer hols is end of May to end of August. if I had kids would I what?

Tipperary

yes I'm talking about secondary. thats obvious. primary finish end of June. as far as I'm aware in UK they finish 23/24 July, back end of August. Big difference.

Sassville

"Kids up North dont have a 3mth summer break...as someone said they finish end of June and start back last week in August. Any of my Sourthern friends kids dont have either... Maybe different Counties have different rules?!

Just wondering OP if you did have kids and you were having to home school them, would your opinion maybe change? bar you're doing your leaving or junior here, the summer hols is end of May to end of August. if I had kids would I what? "

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long?

Tipperary

Just wondering OP if you did have kids and you were having to home school them, would your opinion maybe change? bar you're doing your leaving or junior here, the summer hols is end of May to end of August. if I had kids would I what?

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long? "

absolutely. imo 3 months summer hols is to long. the year is short enough as it is and u have other holidays and mid terms thrown into the equation. plenty will think they are too long and plenty will have the other view also.

Sassville

Just wondering OP if you did have kids and you were having to home school them, would your opinion maybe change? bar you're doing your leaving or junior here, the summer hols is end of May to end of August. if I had kids would I what?

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long? absolutely. imo 3 months summer hols is to long. the year is short enough as it is and u have other holidays and mid terms thrown into the equation. plenty will think they are too long and plenty will have the other view also. "

I can only go by the North holidays and my thinking is the kids deserve the 8weeks off.. Helps them to recharge their batteries and to relax and forget about school for awhile!! Although we are living in surreal times atm it also gives parents a bit of breathing space over the holidays from school runs/after school club runs etc

Tipperary

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long? absolutely. imo 3 months summer hols is to long. the year is short enough as it is and u have other holidays and mid terms thrown into the equation. plenty will think they are too long and plenty will have the other view also.

I can only go by the North holidays and my thinking is the kids deserve the 8weeks off.. Helps them to recharge their batteries and to relax and forget about school for awhile!! Although we are living in surreal times atm it also gives parents a bit of breathing space over the holidays from school runs/after school club runs etc "

that's 8 weeks compared to 12. id probably even think 6/7 is enough. I'm adding to that all the other hols they have throughout the year.

By *eminexWoman  over a year ago

some where in outer space

Personally I think there's no need for an Easter break of two weeks ....not like we can actually do anything with them if we are still in a 5k radius ...

I've two not even back in school yet since December ...

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

Too long for who?

The student or the teacher?

Or just the parents?

Do you know anything about teachers and support staff contracts? Do you know anything about education funding?

Its alright for people saying the holidays are too long but if you shorten them then they need extra money to fund the extra opening times. Its not as simple as saying let's open them..

"yes I'm talking about secondary. thats obvious. primary finish end of June. as far as I'm aware in UK they finish 23/24 July, back end of August. Big difference. "

It differs in the devolved nations. England is approx mid-July to end Aug. Scotland approx mid-June to mid-Aug. Not sure about Wales.

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently

Sassville

"Too long for who?

Or just the parents?

Do you know anything about teachers and support staff contracts? Do you know anything about education funding?

Its alright for people saying the holidays are too long but if you shorten them then they need extra money to fund the extra opening times. Its not as simple as saying let's open them.. "

Well said

[Removed by poster at 24/03/21 16:38:53]

"Too long for who?

Or just the parents?

Its alright for people saying the holidays are too long but if you shorten them then they need extra money to fund the extra opening times. Its not as simple as saying let's open them.. "

Indeed. Not to mention contractual issues, budgets are already squeezed

Tipperary

"yes I'm talking about secondary. thats obvious. primary finish end of June. as far as I'm aware in UK they finish 23/24 July, back end of August. Big difference.

It differs in the devolved nations. England is approx mid-July to end Aug. Scotland approx mid-June to mid-Aug. Not sure about Wales.

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently "

and that's the point I'm making. no need for such a big chunk in one belt. obviously summer is the main time of year but no need for 3 months. I know alot of parents who long for the end of that 3 months lol.

Tipperary

"Too long for who?

Or just the parents?

my aunts husband is a retired school teacher and I laugh listening to him. he regularly tells me the school year is too short and ill use his words, "far too many holidays and the school day is short as it is". I don't personally agree with all that.

"yes I'm talking about secondary. thats obvious. primary finish end of June. as far as I'm aware in UK they finish 23/24 July, back end of August. Big difference.

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently and that's the point I'm making. no need for such a big chunk in one belt. obviously summer is the main time of year but no need for 3 months. I know alot of parents who long for the end of that 3 months lol. "

I'd much rather they get their holidays when there's a half hope of the weather being decent enough to get out and about

Belfast

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently and that's the point I'm making. no need for such a big chunk in one belt. obviously summer is the main time of year but no need for 3 months. I know alot of parents who long for the end of that 3 months lol. "

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities.....

Tipperary

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently and that's the point I'm making. no need for such a big chunk in one belt. obviously summer is the main time of year but no need for 3 months. I know alot of parents who long for the end of that 3 months lol.

I'd much rather they get their holidays when there's a half hope of the weather being decent enough to get out and about"

unfortunately thats impossible with irish weather.

Tipperary

Incidentally my children have been at school in both England and NI and the actual no. of days is almost the same, just distributed differently and that's the point I'm making. no need for such a big chunk in one belt. obviously summer is the main time of year but no need for 3 months. I know alot of parents who long for the end of that 3 months lol.

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... "

there's a reason they say " school are the best days of your life".

Sassville

Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?!

Tipperary

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... "

its also a nice job for teachers in the overall scheme. not many jobs you get that amount of holidays throughout the whole year.

I think the other thing worth remembering too is that teachers are people with families too. I've yet to meet one teacher who clocks off at the end of the school day. In all my time working with teachers most are working in some capacity late into the evening and at least part of the holiday times. By shortening holidays and lengthening the school day, the impact on their family lives has to be taken into account too.

Tipperary

"Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?! "
no. i worked as an SNA earlier on in life. you asked me the question already. its just a matter of opinion as I've already stated. some people will think one way, some another.

Belfast

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... there's a reason they say " school are the best days of your life". "

They also say kids are only kids for a short time... they grow up too quickly....enjoy them while you can

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... its also a nice job for teachers in the overall scheme. not many jobs you get that amount of holidays throughout the whole year. "

How insulting to the teaching profession.

Tipperary

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... its also a nice job for teachers in the overall scheme. not many jobs you get that amount of holidays throughout the whole year.

How insulting to the teaching profession. "

its not insulting at all. I know many a teacher and I say it to them in joking terms often and they agree. they say its lovely the amount of time off they have.

Belfast

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... its also a nice job for teachers in the overall scheme. not many jobs you get that amount of holidays throughout the whole year. "

As I said do you know anything about teachers contracts?

Tipperary

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... there's a reason they say " school are the best days of your life".

They also say kids are only kids for a short time... they grow up too quickly....enjoy them while you can"

that's when they're babies.

Tipperary

They had the bloody kids in the first place.....parents shouldn't have them if they can't cope with having them for 3 months.....schools are not babysitting facilities..... its also a nice job for teachers in the overall scheme. not many jobs you get that amount of holidays throughout the whole year.

As I said do you know anything about teachers contracts? "

I know many a teacher, yes.

Sassville

"Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?! no. i worked as an SNA earlier on in life. you asked me the question already. its just a matter of opinion as I've already stated. some people will think one way, some another. "

No you didnt you answered when i had rephrased it for you!!

Tipperary

"Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?! no. i worked as an SNA earlier on in life. you asked me the question already. its just a matter of opinion as I've already stated. some people will think one way, some another.

No you didnt you answered when i had rephrased it for you!! "

I answered its a simple as that. the bottom line is there will be different views on all matters.

Belfast

As I said do you know anything about teachers contracts? I know many a teacher, yes. "

Knowing teachers and whats in their contracts are completely different. I am contracted to work 38 weeks in a school year. I get paid for those weeks and no more. Most teachers I work with are all on term time only contracts and do NOT get paid over the holidays too

Sassville

"Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?! no. i worked as an SNA earlier on in life. you asked me the question already. its just a matter of opinion as I've already stated. some people will think one way, some another.

No you didnt you answered when i had rephrased it for you!! I answered its a simple as that. the bottom line is there will be different views on all matters. "

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions!

You're just being controversial for the sake of it now. Yet again, another thread that could have actually been a great discussion has been derailed by your myopia

Tipperary

As I said do you know anything about teachers contracts? I know many a teacher, yes.

Knowing teachers and whats in their contracts are completely different. I am contracted to work 38 weeks in a school year. I get paid for those weeks and no more. Most teachers I work with are all on term time only contracts and do NOT get paid over the holidays too"

so all the teachers I know and we blauguard regularly over the time off are lying? I didn't mention one thing about pay.

Tipperary

"You're just being controversial for the sake of it now. Yet again, another thread that could have actually been a great discussion has been derailed by your myopia

"

not at all. again, certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion.

Tipperary

No you didnt you answered when i had rephrased it for you!! I answered its a simple as that. the bottom line is there will be different views on all matters.

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions! "

course there is different opinions but that's not liked by fab folk.

As I said do you know anything about teachers contracts? I know many a teacher, yes.

Knowing teachers and whats in their contracts are completely different. I am contracted to work 38 weeks in a school year. I get paid for those weeks and no more. Most teachers I work with are all on term time only contracts and do NOT get paid over the holidays too"

I believe its the same for support staff too and the term time contracted salary averaged over 52 weeks. At least that is the case in my experience

Belfast

Knowing teachers and whats in their contracts are completely different. I am contracted to work 38 weeks in a school year. I get paid for those weeks and no more. Most teachers I work with are all on term time only contracts and do NOT get paid over the holidays too

I believe its the same for support staff too and the term time contracted salary averaged over 52 weeks. At least that is the case in my experience "

By *oft_sexy_sweetWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

" certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion. "

Yeah, you're prime candidate there.

I think it's nonsensical to keep kids in school for longer than they need to be because it's "too much" time off. That's a bizarre concept to me, that a child could have too much free time. They're children.

There's plenty of arguments right now about lost time due to Covid, but ultimately I think that we should let go of as many obligations as possible right now and just ride out the rest of the pandemic. Schools being off takes the pressure off working parents, gives teachers some respite, and kids too. They'll be no worse off in the long run, what's the harm.

Sassville

No you didnt you answered when i had rephrased it for you!! I answered its a simple as that. the bottom line is there will be different views on all matters.

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions! course there is different opinions but that's not liked by fab folk. "

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!

Tipperary

" certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion.

Yeah, you're prime candidate there.

I think it's nonsensical to keep kids in school for longer than they need to be because it's "too much" time off. That's a bizarre concept to me, that a child could have too much free time. They're children.

There's plenty of arguments right now about lost time due to Covid, but ultimately I think that we should let go of as many obligations as possible right now and just ride out the rest of the pandemic. Schools being off takes the pressure off working parents, gives teachers some respite, and kids too. They'll be no worse off in the long run, what's the harm."

that makes me laugh, "ride out the rest of the pandemic". thats like saying everything should remain closed and only resume when the pandemic is fully over.

Tipperary

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions! course there is different opinions but that's not liked by fab folk.

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!"

and I gave mine. simple as that.

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

And thats how naive you are as to what a teacher does!

I have a number of siblings who teach and they do well to get a clean 2 week break during the summer. And a conscientious teacher will get f all time free for mid terms, due to corrections, prep etc.

Yes you have the few that swing the lead but you get that in all walks of life.

Class time for a teacher is approximately 50% of their job time.

Should hols be shorter? IMO No

Tipperary

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions! course there is different opinions but that's not liked by fab folk.

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!"

if you have an issue with how an opinion is given, thats not my problem.

"people criticising that schools are on Easter hols this Friday for 2 weeks having not done "proper" schooling for over 2 months. now I inverted commas proper because id imagine some teachers and pupils/parents are going above and beyond. whats your take on it and should summer holidays be shortened? others think there is a good chance schools won't return until September after the Easter hols. were you looking for schools to reopen and are you happy your children are back/potentially going back? "

Another mind melting thread that gets people going.. well done willy..

"You're just being controversial for the sake of it now. Yet again, another thread that could have actually been a great discussion has been derailed by your myopia

not at all. again, certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion. "

Contractual obligations and renegotiations, and school budgets are not opinions though. They are actual facts that need to be taken into consideration in any discussion about shortening holidays and lengthening school days

Tipperary

I have a number of siblings who teach and they do well to get a clean 2 week break during the summer. And a conscientious teacher will get f all time free for mid terms, due to corrections, prep etc.

"

Read again. I have many teacher friends who love their time off. the amount of people getting offended is comical.

"We think there shouldn't be any mid-term and there should be a shortened summer holiday. But god forbid you should upset the snowflake teachers and their unions.

Btw, we have 4 kids between us, 1 in secondary and 3 in primary."

I’d say you’ve great respect for teachers there with that attitude. Such reasonable people you are

Tipperary

not at all. again, certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion.

Contractual obligations and renegotiations, and school budgets are not opinions though. They are actual facts that need to be taken into consideration in any discussion about shortening holidays and lengthening school days"

absolutely and could be done. teachers were saying they were shouting from the rooftops that they wanted to return to school during covid but the teachers union were coming out with different ideas.

Tipperary

I’d say you’ve great respect for teachers there with that attitude. Such reasonable people you are "

there is some sexy teachers around.

Sassville

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!if you have an issue with how an opinion is given, thats not my problem. "

Ummm where exactly did i say it was your problem.. I was answering the comment you made to my post about fab people!!! I'll leave it there because that last reply to my post was just a childish retort tbh...

Tipperary

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!if you have an issue with how an opinion is given, thats not my problem.

Ummm where exactly did i say it was your problem.. I was answering the comment you made to my post about fab people!!! I'll leave it there because that last reply to my post was just a childish retort tbh..."

you asked me the same question twice on the thread having been answered already.

I'm a fooking ejit for bothering, same shite different thread.

Tipperary

Ive no bother with sensible opinions from other people.. Whether it be the same as my opinion or not, but it's the way opinions are given across sometimes is the problem. Anyway it's school holidays and teachers your post is about and on that i gave my opinion!!if you have an issue with how an opinion is given, thats not my problem.

Ummm where exactly did i say it was your problem.. I was answering the comment you made to my post about fab people!!! I'll leave it there because that last reply to my post was just a childish retort tbh..."

you said you have an issue with the way some opinions are given.

Tipperary

"I'm a fooking ejit for bothering, same shite different thread.

"

you were the one got all worked up coming in alrite.

"

Same tbh

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other job

Tipperary

"Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other job"
lol you think every child in a class is a dickhead?

yeah i know some parents saying this too, esp primary school not so much secondary. "

You really can’t shorten primary school holidays much shorter than 8 week

"Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other joblol you think every child in a class is a dickhead?"

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheads

Tipperary

"Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other joblol you think every child in a class is a dickhead?

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheads"

LOL.

Sassville

Yeah think ive only got involved in his forum posts a couple of times now... Its pointless. But im sure he'll come back with a childish, stupid reply!!!

Same tbh"

Tipperary

"Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other joblol you think every child in a class is a dickhead?

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheads"

lol are you involved voluntary in any activities involving children?

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long? absolutely. imo 3 months summer hols is to long. the year is short enough as it is and u have other holidays and mid terms thrown into the equation. plenty will think they are too long and plenty will have the other view also. "

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school

Sorry I'll rephrase that what would your thinking be... As in summer hols etc too long? absolutely. imo 3 months summer hols is to long. the year is short enough as it is and u have other holidays and mid terms thrown into the equation. plenty will think they are too long and plenty will have the other view also.

I can only go by the North holidays and my thinking is the kids deserve the 8weeks off.. Helps them to recharge their batteries and to relax and forget about school for awhile!! Although we are living in surreal times atm it also gives parents a bit of breathing space over the holidays from school runs/after school club runs etc that's 8 weeks compared to 12. id probably even think 6/7 is enough. I'm adding to that all the other hols they have throughout the year. "

6/7 versus 8 is pointless nitpicking

Tipperary

I can only go by the North holidays and my thinking is the kids deserve the 8weeks off.. Helps them to recharge their batteries and to relax and forget about school for awhile!! Although we are living in surreal times atm it also gives parents a bit of breathing space over the holidays from school runs/after school club runs etc that's 8 weeks compared to 12. id probably even think 6/7 is enough. I'm adding to that all the other hols they have throughout the year.

6/7 versus 8 is pointless nitpicking "

whats are u on about? 6/7 in relation to 12.

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheadslol are you involved voluntary in any activities involving children?"

Nope not any more and yes the lads I coached where dickheads at the best of time now I manage a men's team and they can be annoying dickheads too.

Ever try it?

Tipperary

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school "

3 months? I was bored off my tits after a few weeks.

"Maybe if you had kids or you were a teacher/assistant etc would your opinion maybe change?! no. i worked as an SNA earlier on in life. you asked me the question already. its just a matter of opinion as I've already stated. some people will think one way, some another. "

Why did you stop?

Tipperary

Ever try it? "

something similar time off wise. SNA earlier in life.

Tipperary

Why did you stop? "

none of your business.

Tipperary

[Removed by poster at 24/03/21 17:24:53]

somewhere

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school 3 months? I was bored off my tits after a few weeks. "

Could you not write virus threads in chalk on the footpaths...that would have kept you going for a couple of weeks amd you could rewrite them if it rained

Tipperary

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheadslol are you involved voluntary in any activities involving children?

Nope not any more and yes the lads I coached where dickheads at the best of time now I manage a men's team and they can be annoying dickheads too. "

did you loose patience? lol

Knowing teachers and whats in their contracts are completely different. I am contracted to work 38 weeks in a school year. I get paid for those weeks and no more. Most teachers I work with are all on term time only contracts and do NOT get paid over the holidays tooso all the teachers I know and we blauguard regularly over the time off are lying? I didn't mention one thing about pay. "

Others ARE mentioning pay and it’s part of the discussion you clearly want to have

It’s a wholesome debate and only discussing your little bit doesn’t address the full issues

not at all. again, certain people want you to see it from there view and don't like a different opinion. "

A bit like yourself sure

Tipperary

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school 3 months? I was bored off my tits after a few weeks.

Could you not write virus threads in chalk on the footpaths...that would have kept you going for a couple of weeks amd you could rewrite them if it rained "

u must love covid lockdown life.

To suit yourself you did, but sure as you said there's different opinions! course there is different opinions but that's not liked by fab folk. "

You’re a prime example

I believe its the same for support staff too and the term time contracted salary averaged over 52 weeks. At least that is the case in my experience "

That’s correct

I'd say yeah ranging from needy , whingy , chatty to just plain dickhead dickheadslol are you involved voluntary in any activities involving children?

Nope not any more and yes the lads I coached where dickheads at the best of time now I manage a men's team and they can be annoying dickheads too. did you loose patience? lol"

Not at all I just don't have the time needed to coach youth teams at the moment. Adult teams take less time investment and they train and play at night

Tipperary

A bit like yourself sure "

I'm all for different opinion and then it can be debated. life would be v boring if 2 differing opinions were given and then the convo just stopped.

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school 3 months? I was bored off my tits after a few weeks. "

Why does that not surprise me

Tipperary

Nope not any more and yes the lads I coached where dickheads at the best of time now I manage a men's team and they can be annoying dickheads too. did you loose patience? lol

Not at all I just don't have the time needed to coach youth teams at the moment. Adult teams take less time investment and they train and play at night "

ye, kids do take up alot more time.

Read again. I have many teacher friends who love their time off. the amount of people getting offended is comical. "

Well of course they love their time off.

Don’t you? Maybe a little jealous I’d say

Tipperary

Bet ye didn’t think they were too long when you were in school 3 months? I was bored off my tits after a few weeks.

Why does that not surprise me"

it applies with kids nowadays also.im involved heavily with children. there is more to school than schoolwork.

I’d say you’ve great respect for teachers there with that attitude. Such reasonable people you are there is some sexy teachers around. "

Hilariously pointless thing to say. Shows your attitude after you seemingly say you want a reasoned debate

"Teachers like nurses are underrated. I can tell you this I wouldn't do either of their jobs for twice their pay. Imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 little dickhead kids all day every day. I'd rather do any other joblol you think every child in a class is a dickhead?"

So you think they’re all “sexy”? Lol

Tipperary

So you think they’re all “sexy”? Lol "

some of them are. I'm laughing, your coming in quoting every individual post. its hilarious.

I can only go by the North holidays and my thinking is the kids deserve the 8weeks off.. Helps them to recharge their batteries and to relax and forget about school for awhile!! Although we are living in surreal times atm it also gives parents a bit of breathing space over the holidays from school runs/after school club runs etc that's 8 weeks compared to 12. id probably even think 6/7 is enough. I'm adding to that all the other hols they have throughout the year.

6/7 versus 8 is pointless nitpicking whats are u on about? 6/7 in relation to 12. "

As has already been pointed out half of those in school are there for 8 but avoid the point why don’t you and for this specific thing it’s obvious you were suggesting shortening primary from 8 to 6/7

You’re gas

Bullshit

Sassville

You’re a prime example "

Exactly he didnt actually answer it at all the 1st time, just a if he had kids what... Was the actual answer he gave til i rephrased it for him. But each to their own!!

Why did you stop? none of your business. "

Haha! If it’s so easy and great and pay and hols you’d still be at it

Well done

Tipperary

6/7 versus 8 is pointless nitpicking whats are u on about? 6/7 in relation to 12.

As has already been pointed out half of those in school are there for 8 but avoid the point why don’t you and for this specific thing it’s obvious you were suggesting shortening primary from 8 to 6/7

You’re gas "

shortening secondary. I'm gas. the fella who puts up a status about me the other day and I'm gas. u must be highly bothered.

A bit like yourself sure I'm all for different opinion and then it can be debated. life would be v boring if 2 differing opinions were given and then the convo just stopped. "

Clearly you like to totally dismiss other’s opinions. It’s here in black and white lad

Tipperary

you must be highly bothered by me.lol quoting the vast majority of posts and doing a status on me also. hilarious.

So you think they’re all “sexy”? Lol some of them are. I'm laughing, your coming in quoting every individual post. its hilarious."

Well it’s a thread and you line to say that anyone can comment. Do you not like it?

Tipperary

A bit like yourself sure I'm all for different opinion and then it can be debated. life would be v boring if 2 differing opinions were given and then the convo just stopped.

Clearly you like to totally dismiss other’s opinions. It’s here in black and white lad "

same as u. you quoted another person who said easter and summer hols should be cut short.

A bit like yourself sure I'm all for different opinion and then it can be debated. life would be v boring if 2 differing opinions were given and then the convo just stopped.

Clearly you like to totally dismiss other’s opinions. It’s here in black and white lad same as u. you quoted another person who said easter and summer hols should be cut short."

Show me that quote and I’ll respond to it

Tipperary

Clearly you like to totally dismiss other’s opinions. It’s here in black and white lad same as u. you quoted another person who said easter and summer hols should be cut short.

Show me that quote and I’ll respond to it "

I'm not like you scrolling through an entire thread picking out posts. I wouldn't be that bothered but I know u are.

yeah i know some parents saying this too, esp primary school not so much secondary.

You really can’t shorten primary school holidays much shorter than 8 week "

SillyWilly is it this one where I said you can’t shorten it much more?

I didn’t say you can’t shorten it tho did i?

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 24/03/21 17:47:33]

Why does that not surprise meit applies with kids nowadays also.im involved heavily with children. there is more to school than schoolwork. "

So am I. I have two of my own. I've worked within education and schools in a voluntary capacity from preschool right up to further education since I was 18. I've also been involved with sports coaching - within schools and outwith - and I teach music now, again on a voluntary basis.

You're right there is much much more to it than just teaching. And it's for exactly that reason why huge consideration should be made of the wide and varied impact of either lengthening the school day or shortening the holidays. Not just from the perspective of the teacher, but of the family, and the child.

By *eductively_SweetWoman  over a year ago

wexford

Right now I just want to see my youngest back to school to all his friends its been too long. Home schooling is having a serious effect on him zoom classes 5 days a week. However I welcome the holidays I can then get him out of the house get him in a better head space.

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

You see, this is what happens when kids aren’t at school! They come in here pretending to be adults and just end up bickering like the school kids they are.

Send them out to the work houses and get them earning money and take their phones off them they shouldn’t be playing with the adults.

(Or choose any other controversial opinion to rile people up )

By *rotic desiresWoman  over a year ago

Here and there

The school year hasnt been shortened. Parents have been given support and online classes from the beginning of this year. If the people you are talking to want schools open longer it's because they want free babysitters not because they kids have missed days. Every teacher we know and have dealt with were on the go morning noon and night prepping classes and correcting work in a completely new environment. "

You are absolutely right that the academic school year hasn't been "shortened". Online classes, tuition and assignments have been set as well as online support given in varying degrees by different schools.

Generalising parents who are in favour of extending the term for their children to avail of on site schooling for "free babysitting" is just that - a generalisation which may well be true for some, but not others.

I for one am not in favour of extending the school term. But as a parent of 2, a boy in primary and a high functioning autistic daughter who had to transition into secondary last year, while suffering not only puberty changes, being highly sensitive and aware that she is very different in a mainstream school, not having the drive or processing or organisational skills that her peers may have, being left behind in academic skills, which simply cannot be taught by distance learning, having severe social anxiety exacerbated by the political climate, having certain OCD behaviours, problems sleeping, no motivation or drive, in desperate need of socialisation with her peers, in desperate need of having on site teachers, students and classes to motivate her learning, I would have to say that the system has failed my daughter desperately. Yet the teachers she, and my son, have had, have been exemplary given the circumstances.

I have done my utmost to support her, as a parent, alone and with the (lack of) "services" available and now see her being referred to psychiatric services. I personally believe that this would not have happened in a different "climate".

Here and there

most deffo. kids are been destroyed."

Their mental health, and their education. Our children are the collateral damage.

By *ack the lad777Man  over a year ago

Dublin

As a secondary school teacher I can tell you that I was delighted to get back into the classroom, as have most of the other teachers I know.

For the last few weeks I have been juggling face to face teaching while live streaming students at home. I other classes totalk on zoom. I can tell you its been very stressful for both teachers and students. Both groups would like to be back in school fulltime.

However both groups need a break next week, as do the parents.

Please stop your teacher bashing. Unless you have been in a classroom you have no idea how difficult it is. We don't criticize how you for your job.

Belfast

"As a secondary school teacher I can tell you that I was delighted to get back into the classroom, as have most of the other teachers I know.

For the last few weeks I have been juggling face to face teaching while live streaming students at home. I other classes totalk on zoom. I can tell you its been very stressful for both teachers and students. Both groups would like to be back in school fulltime.

Please stop your teacher bashing. Unless you have been in a classroom you have no idea how difficult it is. We don't criticize how you for your job. "

Some people will just complain regardless. But there is no doubt Covid has impacted some people more than others. But unfortunately the nanny state and blame culture we have hasn’t adequately prepared a lot of people to be resilient. Here’s hoping it’s all over soon.

Actually, maybe we dont need teachers at all....they could just upload online classes to youtube and all the kids could just watch the online classes. Save a fortune on salaries..1 teacher for each subject for each year. Sorted.

Here and there

"As a secondary school teacher I can tell you that I was delighted to get back into the classroom, as have most of the other teachers I know.

Please stop your teacher bashing. Unless you have been in a classroom you have no idea how difficult it is. We don't criticize how you for your job. "

There's a lot to be said for showing understanding and compassion for each and everyone. Unfortunately that seems to have gone amiss these days on a large scale - in times where exactly those qualities should be practiced by each and everyone of us in order to support and strengthen each other in these unprecedented times.

I'm grateful for the teachers at my children's school. I know that most (there are always bad eggs in every walk of life) have gone out of their way to do their job as well and conscientiously as possible.

I believe it's the system which has let my children down, now during these times even more so than in the olden days.

Please stop your teacher bashing. Unless you have been in a classroom you have no idea how difficult it is. We don't criticize how you for your job.

There's a lot to be said for showing understanding and compassion for each and everyone. Unfortunately that seems to have gone amiss these days on a large scale - in times where exactly those qualities should be practiced by each and everyone of us in order to support and strengthen each other in these unprecedented times.

I'm grateful for the teachers at my children's school. I know that most (there are always bad eggs in every walk of life) have gone out of their way to do their job as well and conscientiously as possible.

I believe it's the system which has let my children down, now during these times even more so than in the olden days.

"

I echo this sentiment

By *eepixieWoman  over a year ago

belfast

I echo this sentiment "

Ditto. Very well said.

I suggest OP shouldn’t make statements about something he knows nothing about. I’ve a daughter studying for her A levels, final year. She has been in school for 3 days this week & is off again for Easter. But... she is being given more work throughout the Easter break. Do she won’t get time off like the others. This is set by the exam board, to ensure enough work is submitted to award a grade. She has been in school 7 weeks since last March. That is stressful.

"This thread proposes the question of extending the school year?

In essence it's a thread about teachers working conditions and contractual obligations.?

1. Teachers. Primary. Secondary. third level have fulfilled their contractual obligations in 2020/21.

2. Extending the school year (into the summer)to Make teachers have a longer working year does not address the most basic question. Is it necessary for the children?

3. The academic pipeline that is the teaching year addresses the balance of children's needs via education and personal growth. The summer recess is a time for sunshine and freckled faces. Not to endure extra school time to balance out teachers perceived small working footprint, or for that matter any sense of loss of IQ points that are children have endured. They have not. Their intellect and sense of enquiry is determined by questions and wonder. That has not diminished.

4. This has been the most dynamic forced educational change to our children's academic journey ever. It has been stressful beyond belief for them. sitting at home all day addresses academia but not human growth in what we would have expected for our loved ones.

8. Primary children's summer recess is 8wks OP.

Good luck with your thread OP. Discourse should always be cherished with interesting questions. The question for me in this matter is our children. Not our teachers contracts. But they are linked obvs which is why I addressed this thread.

"

I thought this thread closed yesterday . Is this groundhog day...

I responded yesterday at the top of the thread. Offering a wee opinion regarding education. Not teachers contracts. Our children and Education.

This thread is entirely about the OP's opionin regarding the under worked teachers and justifed by his experience. His friends. A newspaper article he read etc. His comparison to international best practice (UK teachers summer holidays were quoted) is just a fragment of educational research out there regarding educational pipelines in different countries that could have been used to support his argument (or not).

This thread has no merit other than a soapbox opionin.

I have a broad understanding of academic governance. Normally I'd walk on by threads like this. I'd rather read the funny pages in the newspaper TBH. I'm not on Fab to be all serious like and use big words like. But kids and education!!!....I'll spare a few.

But what is heartening is the voices of the parents and praticioneers who have used common sense, judgement appropiate research and some lurv regarding their children's education. Their opinions were given far from a soapbox but from experience and reflection. Awesome and fairplay to you all....xx

Time for a cuppa me thinks.

Those who can't do, teach!

By *ogladyWoman  over a year ago

The bog

One of my sister's three of her kids just test positive all in national school another sis two of her kids tested positive in a differ national school another sis her daughter tested positive in a secondary school all this week alone and all sis live away from each other.so that says it all for me..

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Great more holidays for teachers.. What kind of job is teaching they must be the laziest shower ever protected to the last by unions.. Wouldn't know a hard day's work if it slapped them in the face

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

I'm a front line worker with kids so I wonder given I've worked for over a year with little time off, should I get more holidays to compensate?

I have to leave my autistic son home every day alone, he's so called high functioning so he manages, but its not nice being on his own all day but we have to get by.

His school,( main stream secondary) have been fantastic. Teachers online every day and always available to answer queries. Marking work and doing their best. Should their holidays be cancelled, absolutely not.

Maybe what would actually help is if the adults that are breaking the rules and keeping the numbers high actually stayed home like they are supposed too we wouldn't need this discussion.

Teaching is hard, I know I couldn't do it. Do they get long holidays, yes ...but the alternative is to have your kids in school for longer during the year (in non covid times).

Tipperary

"Maybe what would actually help is if the adults that are breaking the rules and keeping the numbers high actually stayed home like they are supposed too we wouldn't need this discussion. "
they do in the large majority. 1) you’ll never get everybody doing the one thing and 2), it’s climbing a bit again as people are sick to the teeth of what’s going on and there is no clarity/ plan.

I'm a teacher. I don't want schools closed. I also want these lockdowns to end. I also want honest publication of figures and government to stop talking guff and proper testing done. Of I can be in a class with 30 kids then why can't I be in a room with 6 adults. If schools aren't spreading the virus then how are play dates? I don't get it.

Tipperary

"I'm a teacher. I don't want schools closed. I also want these lockdowns to end. I also want honest publication of figures and government to stop talking guff and proper testing done. Of I can be in a class with 30 kids then why can't I be in a room with 6 adults. If schools aren't spreading the virus then how are play dates? I don't get it. "
many things don't make sense.

Tipperary

"One of my sister's three of her kids just test positive all in national school another sis two of her kids tested positive in a differ national school another sis her daughter tested positive in a secondary school all this week alone and all sis live away from each other.so that says it all for me.."
there is going to be cases in all work places. thats inevitable. you just try keep it as low as possible if you can.

By *ome_wild_girlWoman  over a year ago

Antrim Town

Everyone needs a break

#bekind

"people criticising that schools are on Easter hols this Friday for 2 weeks having not done "proper" schooling for over 2 months. now I inverted commas proper because id imagine some teachers and pupils/parents are going above and beyond. whats your take on it and should summer holidays be shortened? others think there is a good chance schools won't return until September after the Easter hols. were you looking for schools to reopen and are you happy your children are back/potentially going back? "

I'm only too happy tbh the home schooling is shit. But two weeks off after been off for a year is a bit shit like. And they better not be off again I cant keep staying home till all hours and then out working till 11 at night it's a killer.

By *exmark12Man  over a year ago

Rathcoole/Roscommon/Mayo

Gone beyond the schooling days.I have lots of neighbours with kids..While the school's were closed and some classes still are not back I have noticed that many families were home schooling with the help of teachers on zoom etc The teachers were there all the the hours that they normally do....Some families didn't bother to help their kids and grumbled that the kids couldn't go to school and did nothing to avail of the home schooling and the TV help available..I feel that the term should end in the normal way The teachers and other school workers could do with a break at a very stressful time.....Schools and teachers are not a child minding service.Just a view.....