FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Ireland v Luxembourg

Ireland v Luxembourg

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sweet mother of God this match is brutal.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Young goalkeeper playing well other than that ye it's boring

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

tis dier. Ireland are just not good enough, simple as. manager tries to play ball but technically irish players not up to it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

So bad! We should be hammering these...

Absolutely fucking shocking. Elite sport my arse

By *anKinkyMan  over a year ago

Carrick on Shannon

BRUTAL BAD

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

To be fair they deserve the win

Wow!

That was officially the worst game of football ever televised

By *ackandsashaCouple  over a year ago

West Dublin

There is no excuse losing to Luxembourg. None.

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

Kenny out, 8 games without a goal now beaten by a bunch of part timers. Absolutely shocking, the worst team in our history.

Use league of Ireland players for the rest of the group to make a point and in fairness they may well do better. The likes of mcclean and long have been finished for years and still getting a run out. Disgraceful

I'd sooner play soggy biscuit than watch that again

"Kenny out, 8 games without a goal now beaten by a bunch of part timers. Absolutely shocking, the worst team in our history. "

Contradiction of sorts there? Bad manager or the worst players available in our history? They are awful.

North County

"Kenny out, 8 games without a goal now beaten by a bunch of part timers. Absolutely shocking, the worst team in our history.

Contradiction of sorts there? Bad manager or the worst players available in our history? They are awful. "

He picks them!

No contradiction there.

"Kenny out, 8 games without a goal now beaten by a bunch of part timers. Absolutely shocking, the worst team in our history.

Contradiction of sorts there? Bad manager or the worst players available in our history? They are awful. "

any manager in any sport who hasn't won a match in 10 matches 8L 2D doesn't deserve to keep their job

Saw a great tweet that you’d love to see the old RTE crew, Giles, Dunphy, Brady and O’Herlihy.

They’d be livid.

"Saw a great tweet that you’d love to see the old RTE crew, Giles, Dunphy, Brady and O’Herlihy.

They’d be livid. "

they'd probably have heart attacks

North County

"Saw a great tweet that you’d love to see the old RTE crew, Giles, Dunphy, Brady and O’Herlihy.

They’d be livid. "

Yes and rightly so, they are lucky no fans there too, just seem Colemans post match interview and it summed up what we seen, they literally don't give a fuck, and that comes from management ultimately. The group is done now so may as well change it and give someone the time, Kenny is an absolute disaster.

They’d be livid.

Yes and rightly so, they are lucky no fans there too, just seem Colemans post match interview and it summed up what we seen, they literally don't give a fuck, and that comes from management ultimately. The group is done now so may as well change it and give someone the time, Kenny is an absolute disaster."

in fairness Coleman looked fair embarrassed

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

It's not kennys fault.. The players aren't there.. Gone be with the days of the 2 keanes.. Duff.. Dunne.. Given.. Big names who played in the Premier league even fringe players back then played in the pl.. The current crop of players are mostly first division even division 2 and most are not even getting a game.. The only decent player is Coleman that's it nobody else.. It said it all selecting a 19 year old to go in goals.. The kid did very well don't get me wrong but if Ireland were any good they would have a top class established keeper by now.. Sad state of affairs for Irish football

louth

Watch rugby instead

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Yup I've been a season ticket holder for about 15 years and traveled all over the world watching Ireland but my Jesus Mick McCarthy knew what was coming and jumped ship. No manager could do better with that squad. Gotta feel for Kenny but sacking him will not help one bit. We never had a hope of qualifying, this campaign is about bringing through players. Bad manager, remains to be seen. Bad squad, well they've proven that

North County

Contradiction of sorts there? Bad manager or the worst players available in our history? They are awful.

Yup I've been a season ticket holder for about 15 years and traveled all over the world watching Ireland but my Jesus Mick McCarthy knew what was coming and jumped ship. No manager could do better with that squad. Gotta feel for Kenny but sacking him will not help one bit. We never had a hope of qualifying, this campaign is about bringing through players. Bad manager, remains to be seen. Bad squad, well they've proven that "

Mick signed a contract and seen it out and the FAI cut the deal from the start to appoint Kenny after a certain time, there was no jumping ship. Yes the squad is poor but undoubtedly Mick would get better results and indeed with largely the same group.

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Yup I've been a season ticket holder for about 15 years and traveled all over the world watching Ireland but my Jesus Mick McCarthy knew what was coming and jumped ship. No manager could do better with that squad. Gotta feel for Kenny but sacking him will not help one bit. We never had a hope of qualifying, this campaign is about bringing through players. Bad manager, remains to be seen. Bad squad, well they've proven that

Mick signed a contract and seen it out and the FAI cut the deal from the start to appoint Kenny after a certain time, there was no jumping ship. Yes the squad is poor but undoubtedly Mick would get better results and indeed with largely the same group. "

Before Kenny was approached Mick was asked if he wanted to take the team into another qualification campaign. He said no and who could blame him

North County

Mick signed a contract and seen it out and the FAI cut the deal from the start to appoint Kenny after a certain time, there was no jumping ship. Yes the squad is poor but undoubtedly Mick would get better results and indeed with largely the same group.

Before Kenny was approached Mick was asked if he wanted to take the team into another qualification campaign. He said no and who could blame him"

Nobody could blame him but it isn't what is in the public domain.

As soon as the time frame for Kenny was announced it always looked bad.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-admits-didnt-get-ireland-contract-188536

By *azmanMan  over a year ago

Vera Playa

people rushing to blame Kenny, but he simply hasn't got the players. What he has done is gotten the players he does have to play much better football than before. Also, u19s and u21s playing the same style and formations so continuity for the future. Terrible result, but not really the managers fault. writing has been on the wall well before he took over. what do people want - aimless long balls hoofed forward as before? still be the same attackers to do nothing with those balls

North County

"people rushing to blame Kenny, but he simply hasn't got the players. What he has done is gotten the players he does have to play much better football than before. Also, u19s and u21s playing the same style and formations so continuity for the future. Terrible result, but not really the managers fault. writing has been on the wall well before he took over. what do people want - aimless long balls hoofed forward as before? still be the same attackers to do nothing with those balls"

88, 90 and 94 was what you call aimless long balls but it gave us our best tournaments and memories, international football is about results and qualifying. A few games a year etc. Style is great of course but will always be 2nd to substance and I've no doubt that people would want is qualifying over being embarrassed by trying to play good football when we clearly can't do that either.

North County

"people rushing to blame Kenny, but he simply hasn't got the players. What he has done is gotten the players he does have to play much better football than before. Also, u19s and u21s playing the same style and formations so continuity for the future. Terrible result, but not really the managers fault. writing has been on the wall well before he took over. what do people want - aimless long balls hoofed forward as before? still be the same attackers to do nothing with those balls"

Also rushing to blame Kenny? He is 10 games in now and no wins and only scored in 1 match. Many a club or country wouldn't even give him that long.

Tipperary

its funny because Kenny could be sacked, who actually wants the job and whose going to take it and make a difference because lets be honest, the players are muck. People were critical when ireland teams over last few years used lump it. they're now trying to play ball, what people were critical that they weren't doing. problem is were just not good enough.

louth

Yea think the best bet is to stop trying to play like Barcelona if you have shit players.. Best option is the Charlton philosophy long balls up to the strikers and hope to nick a goal.. it works.. At least they qualified for tournaments..

North County

"Yea think the best bet is to stop trying to play like Barcelona if you have shit players.. Best option is the Charlton philosophy long balls up to the strikers and hope to nick a goal.. it works.. At least they qualified for tournaments.. "

Tipperary

so now people want ireland to lump it again and see can we nick/fluke a game lol.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am assuming he will resign tomorrow... because after this there is no way you can keep the job

North County

"I am assuming he will resign tomorrow... because after this there is no way you can keep the job "

If he had any decency that's exactly what he would do. There is no excuse for losing to Luxembourg and even more so when the performance justified it.

Even if he is trying to implement a passing game, they should be good enough to beat Luxembourg. He is clearly inept and not up to the job.

"Sweet mother of God this match is brutal. "

A very obvious problem with Irish football team, but nobody is talking about it, or nobody wants to talk about it,until it fixed irish football can't progress.

I'm not a big soccer fan but I would like to hear your opinions on why we think we should always be world beaters at every sport with a 5 milliom population

Jack Charlton brought Irish football out of obscurity, he was way ahead of his his time, though some say one dimensional.

We had players like McGrath, Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan, Townsend.

We haven't seen the likes of them since the 'good old days' even before there was Keane,(Roy and Robbie) not to mention all the other 'wonder kids' that amounted to sod all too.

Yet we always seem to think we should win everything...... and yes I'm from Mayo so the irony is not lost on me before the GAA abuse starts on me

By *anKinkyMan  over a year ago

Carrick on Shannon

"I'm not a big soccer fan but I would like to hear your opinions on why we think we should always be world beaters at every sport with a 5 milliom population

Jack Charlton brought Irish football out of obscurity, he was way ahead of his his time, though some say one dimensional.

We haven't seen the likes of them since the 'good old days' even before there was Keane,(Roy and Robbie) not to mention all the other 'wonder kids' that amounted to sod all too.

Yet we always seem to think we should win everything...... and yes I'm from Mayo so the irony is not lost on me before the GAA abuse starts on me "

I think the younger generation has lost interest in the GAA and Soccer to be fair.Times are a Changing

By *uttingstagsMan  over a year ago

Navan

What continuity may I ask ? When the pubs reopen walk into the nearest one and get the first twenty fellas under the age of fifty and field them, the continuity of results will be identical.

By *onedbodMan  over a year ago

co Galway

"I'm not a big soccer fan but I would like to hear your opinions on why we think we should always be world beaters at every sport with a 5 milliom population

Yet we always seem to think we should win everything...... and yes I'm from Mayo so the irony is not lost on me before the GAA abuse starts on me "

We don't think we should be world beaters and regards population of 5 million! We shouldn't be losing to a country of 500,000 people its a disgrace!

I've said this MANY times in all areas of football discussions. Alex Ferguson was going to be sacked by Man Utd before beating Crystal Palace to win the FA Cup. Imagine he was!? Would Man Utd have still become as dominant as they were? Highly unlikely. He is now the best manager that ever was and this is coming from a Liverpool fan before people think "oh another Utd fan" People might think Gaurdiola is but I don't and even Gaurdiola acknowledges he's not because he's given great teams to manage wherever he's gone and it was his fault Liverpool won the title the year they won it cause he got rid of Kompany, that was such a dumb move not to keep him. Unless Kompamy wanted to go. Klopp, a great manager but took ages to win anything at Liverpool so given time....and look at the crap they're doing now, haven't won a home game in about 6 or 7 games but lost them.

Anyways SLIGHTLY getting off track and these are all completely different teams/clubs of course but Kenny should be given all the time he needs. Hey, even if he WAS getting them winning/drawing games. Do any of us REALLY think we're going to be winning the World Cup!? Yes it's great to be there but those aren't REALLY the teams you remember, save a few that did something. We could probably still name the whole squad from Jack's era (oh interesting programme on him at 9 tonight, virgin media channel I think) after that we could probably name the team that Roy Keane let down at Saipan and the one that gave France a real scare at the France Euros.

So right now who cares how badly they're doing let's keep him there and maybe it will make whoever can help with devolping kids coming through and the players that are around at the mo cop on to improving Irish soccer and whatever it takes to get them to the PL or other top division country leagues, ya never really hear of any young Irish going to Italy/Spain/Germany/France. Then hopefully who knows what may come down the line.

Think I got off track a lot, haha

Crazy thought.... would a team built from all 48 counties have a better chance?

The FAI is one of the few sporting associations that has not completed the north/south divide in Ireland.

Oh, and I’ve floated this with my Waterford in-laws, it was the first time I thought my brother in law was actually going to punch me... never mind the venom I received from his 15yr old Waterford and FAI academy player... I have an idea of how divisive this topic is.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Crazy thought.... would a team built from all 48 counties have a better chance?

The FAI is one of the few sporting associations that has not completed the north/south divide in Ireland.

Oh, and I’ve floated this with my Waterford in-laws, it was the first time I thought my brother in law was actually going to punch me... never mind the venom I received from his 15yr old Waterford and FAI academy player... I have an idea of how divisive this topic is. "

Have we added 16 counties overnight?

"Crazy thought.... would a team built from all 48 counties have a better chance? "

32... 32 counties. Yikes bad typo.

It was an interesting match....My son was heartbroken to see Ireland losing. Husband just laughed. I was happy to see Rodriguez scoring. Watching the guilt on the coach a anicipating the social lynching was painful. Would they do better with more support? Who knows...

By *ongalMan  over a year ago

lucan

I think Kenny has been very unlucky in terms or circumstances and players available to him through injury. What this has highlighted even more is the mismanagement from the FAI for the past 30 odd years. We had a celebrity CEO who was more interested in promoting himself that putting the correct processes in place. The lack of a proper underage coaching and academy system and structure within the country is now hurting us at senior level.

I think having a pop at the manager is just lazy. If you watched the game last night some players where absolutely awful. They gave the ball away so many times when not even under pressure. I think wait until he has a fully got squad available for selection then we can give an honest judgement

louth

"I am assuming he will resign tomorrow... because after this there is no way you can keep the job "

Why would he retire he's on the pigs back getting a fortune every year.. He will go when he is pushed that way he gets a pay off.. He used to be dundalk manager on at most 50k a year now international manager getting 500k for this year.. He's laughing even if Ireland are losing.. Could you blame him..

By *ongalMan  over a year ago

lucan

"I am assuming he will resign tomorrow... because after this there is no way you can keep the job

Why would he retire he's on the pigs back getting a fortune every year.. He will go when he is pushed that way he gets a pay off.. He used to be dundalk manager on at most 50k a year now international manager getting 500k for this year.. He's laughing even if Ireland are losing.. Could you blame him.. "

He was on a lot more than 50k at Dundalk. If he resigns he won't get a pay of from the FAI. If he is sacked he will get a pay off.

The change in style of play has to happen at under

7s in your local club and continue onto league of Ireland teams and underage Irish teams. It has to be bred into players. You can't just decide to get players to play better football when they haven't been as kids. A change of style will take 10 yrs or more.

The FAI have created this situation with bad management. I feel players have got places because of their connections too, typical Ireland.

T the FAI is a mirror to our government.

Vera Playa

[Removed by poster at 28/03/21 11:43:49]

Vera Playa

"

88, 90 and 94 was what you call aimless long balls but it gave us our best tournaments and memories,"

Charlton had top quality players at his disposal and a focal point for long balls forward in quinn or cascarino. We don't have those options.

Vera Playa

"Crazy thought.... would a team built from all 48 counties have a better chance?"

thats where the the foreign players with irish grannies come from right?

North County

Yet we always seem to think we should win everything...... and yes I'm from Mayo so the irony is not lost on me before the GAA abuse starts on me We don't think we should be world beaters and regards population of 5 million! We shouldn't be losing to a country of 500,000 people its a disgrace! "

If Kenny goes who comes in?

What about the new vision?

There is a severe lack of player quality

Tipperary

Brian Kerr covered it last night. this has been coming with years. severe lack of development etc.

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

I'm sure I'm going to contradict myself in this post but bear with me. I'm just gna ramble and see where I end up,,,,

Changing the structure within the FAI has nothing to do with the squad of players we have at our disposal now. Talking about 7 year olds is irrelevant, unless you are in it for the long haul!

Each player is a pro in a pro team in a pro League, each player was deemed beat in class for their position in each team, thats why they are there.

Each player has then graduated to international team for the same reason, they are best in class for that position!

They are supposed to be at a level that they can adapt to tactical changes, formation changes, tempo etc etc.

The problem is that we are measuring this team as an honors class when we should be looking at a merit class slipping towards a pass class.

On the other hand we also have to look at the teacher, lets say this is a merit class, is the teacher happy to keep them on that level?

Is he trying to get them to a higher level? Is he just waiting to get rid of this class and start fresh (with the principals backing)

Ala the long haul?

So whats happening in the background? Are the 7 year olds being taught the "new way"

Are our under age teams improving OR are they losing to Luxembourg as well?

I don't think the players believe in Kenny, why? Because they are pro players and he is an amateur journeyman. A very good one but he is at pass level at best imo.

Granted some of these players have grand illusions of themselves but they are better than we are seeing at the moment.

Theres too much chatter in the background for us not to listen to some of it.

In summary, WE want the glory now but they are only 7 years of age at the moment

Disclaimer, see top of this post

"I'm sure I'm going to contradict myself in this post but bear with me. I'm just gna ramble and see where I end up,,,,

Changing the structure within the FAI has nothing to do with the squad of players we have at our disposal now. Talking about 7 year olds is irrelevant, unless you are in it for the long haul!

Each player is a pro in a pro team in a pro League, each player was deemed beat in class for their position in each team, thats why they are there.

Each player has then graduated to international team for the same reason, they are best in class for that position!

They are supposed to be at a level that they can adapt to tactical changes, formation changes, tempo etc etc.

The problem is that we are measuring this team as an honors class when we should be looking at a merit class slipping towards a pass class.

On the other hand we also have to look at the teacher, lets say this is a merit class, is the teacher happy to keep them on that level?

Is he trying to get them to a higher level? Is he just waiting to get rid of this class and start fresh (with the principals backing)

Ala the long haul?

So whats happening in the background? Are the 7 year olds being taught the "new way"

Are our under age teams improving OR are they losing to Luxembourg as well?

I don't think the players believe in Kenny, why? Because they are pro players and he is an amateur journeyman. A very good one but he is at pass level at best imo.

Granted some of these players have grand illusions of themselves but they are better than we are seeing at the moment.

Theres too much chatter in the background for us not to listen to some of it.

In summary, WE want the glory now but they are only 7 years of age at the moment

Disclaimer, see top of this post

"

Well said Yoss

There's a number of factors involved.

The players and public seen to have lost faith in this plan.

Football is results driven, and our results have been dire!

We made Mitrovic look like Brazilian Ronaldo the other night too.

It's very very hard to watch

North County

"If Kenny goes who comes in?

There is a severe lack of player quality "

100% a severe lack in quality but surely good enough to beat Luxembourg or at least out play them

He has had 10 games now and it's been a nitemare, that is long enough to show a plan or steps in the right direction, international football has always been about doing the best with what you have and he clearly hasn't done that.

By *amien88Man  over a year ago

wicklow

Cat!!

Yet we always seem to think we should win everything...... and yes I'm from Mayo so the irony is not lost on me before the GAA abuse starts on me I think the younger generation has lost interest in the GAA and Soccer to be fair.Times are a Changing"

depending where you are from the interest in Gaa in limerick is huge at all age groups at the moment success brings interest

100% a severe lack in quality but surely good enough to beat Luxembourg or at least out play them

He has had 10 games now and it's been a nitemare, that is long enough to show a plan or steps in the right direction, international football has always been about doing the best with what you have and he clearly hasn't done that."

Kaizer suspects Big Mick woukd have got a result!

But would that have been to the detriment of the new brand of football we are trying to play?

Do we continue with this when clearly the players aren't capable?

Is this whole spin just an excuse for the FAI to employ a cheap coach?

At the moment there's a million questions and no one has any answers

Tipperary

He has had 10 games now and it's been a nitemare, that is long enough to show a plan or steps in the right direction, international football has always been about doing the best with what you have and he clearly hasn't done that."

he clearly has a plan of trying to play out from the keeper. its just our players are not technically good enough. he has also introduced a few new lads. these lads will take alot of time with development etc. I would though like to see what another manager would do. not to long ago we should have beaten Slovakia in euro playoff

North County

He has had 10 games now and it's been a nitemare, that is long enough to show a plan or steps in the right direction, international football has always been about doing the best with what you have and he clearly hasn't done that.

But would that have been to the detriment of the new brand of football we are trying to play?

"

Well I would say if he is trying to implement a style when they clearly aren't good enough to play that style, that is poor management.

He is certainly a cheaper option than our previous incumbents, and no Denis O'Brien money to supplement a big salary this time.

Well I would say if he is trying to implement a style when they clearly aren't good enough to play that style, that is poor management.

He is certainly a cheaper option than our previous incumbents, and no Denis O'Brien money to supplement a big salary this time."

It's very sobering!

And here's an even more sobering thought

Next year makes it 20 years since we played a world cup, and it looks like being another 20 years

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

We dont have a single decent player.

Not one. Its a shocking level of quality.

Most of the lads are barely Championship quality never mind premier league. Thats the level we are now at. This result is not surprising.

Talk of mcgeady being called up shows how bad we have become.

Ffs lads its was so bad Kenny out!!!

By *artender_onthelooseMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"Ffs lads its was so bad Kenny out!!!"

100%

Way out of his depth not even putting the best team on the pitch from the players he does have.

» Add a new message to this topic