Former

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *enguin1Man  over a year ago

The sticks

Yeah......another one here

By *urfer DudeMan  over a year ago

Cobh

If running is so flipping great, then why do nearly all the avid runners i know always seem moan & complain about all their little niggling and chronic injuries they are carrying that ultimately stop em running? It doesn't seem to matter if they be super lean international athletes or fun runners.

Some of the older ones appear to have osteoarthritis in their hips knees and ankles, yet they stubbornly persist in flogging the roads wearing their super duper €300 running shoes until they have completely worn down their knee cartilage and end up under the care of an orthopedic surgeon, who usually advises em to buy a bicycle.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If running is so flipping great, then why do nearly all the avid runners i know always seem moan & complain about all their little niggling and chronic injuries they are carrying that ultimately stop em running? It doesn't seem to matter if they be super lean international athletes or fun runners.

Some of the older ones appear to have osteoarthritis in their hips knees and ankles, yet they stubbornly persist in flogging the roads wearing their super duper €300 running shoes until they have completely worn down their knee cartilage and end up under the care of an orthopedic surgeon, who usually advises em to buy a bicycle. "

You could say the very same of hurlers, footballers, golfers... Any active sport in fact. You do it for the sense of achievement, the euphoria from running a marathon and the sense of fulfillment.

By *iptop20Man  over a year ago

anytown

Fab runner here.. running 50 to 60 miles a week if any one wants to join me there more then welcome

Running has its uses...Running for the bus. Running down the stairs on Christmas morning. Running to beat the brothers to get the wings of the chicken when the Ma takes it out of the oven. Outside of that type of running not a big fan.

I do the odd Tri. Don't train for them I just turn up. Open water swimming...euphoric. Cycling with the wind on my face...euphoria.

And then comes the run...uugh. But I treat it as the home straight to the pub...orgasmic

Yep. Track and field when I was younger. Long distance now and a running coach too.

Yes.

"If running is so flipping great, then why do nearly all the avid runners i know always seem moan & complain about all their little niggling and chronic injuries they are carrying that ultimately stop em running? It doesn't seem to matter if they be super lean international athletes or fun runners.

Some of the older ones appear to have osteoarthritis in their hips knees and ankles, yet they stubbornly persist in flogging the roads wearing their super duper €300 running shoes until they have completely worn down their knee cartilage and end up under the care of an orthopedic surgeon, who usually advises em to buy a bicycle. "

Because a bad run is still better than living an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle. The niggles and injuries far outweigh a lifetime of cardiovascular disease, obesity etc. Osteoarthritis starts in your late teens and early 20s. It's onset happens in later life because of inactivity in your younger years not through running. Just an inaccurate stat because der people are taking up running for the first time in their older years. €300 for a pair of runners is only peanuts compared to €3k bicycle btw. Running is the cheapest hobby they're is.

Some of the older ones appear to have osteoarthritis in their hips knees and ankles, yet they stubbornly persist in flogging the roads wearing their super duper €300 running shoes until they have completely worn down their knee cartilage and end up under the care of an orthopedic surgeon, who usually advises em to buy a bicycle.

Because a bad run is still better than living an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle. The niggles and injuries far outweigh a lifetime of cardiovascular disease, obesity etc. Osteoarthritis starts in your late teens and early 20s. It's onset happens in later life because of inactivity in your younger years not through running. Just an inaccurate stat because der people are taking up running for the first time in their older years. €300 for a pair of runners is only peanuts compared to €3k bicycle btw. Running is the cheapest hobby they're is."

What runners cost 300 euro? Hokas or Nike anything from 100 to 180

By *he rover returnedWoman  over a year ago

xxx

Not a runner then ??

xxx

"Yep. Track and field when I was younger. Long distance now and a running coach too. "

Now in fairness if you were my run coach I'd be hitting PBs on every run

xxx

Because a bad run is still better than living an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle. The niggles and injuries far outweigh a lifetime of cardiovascular disease, obesity etc. Osteoarthritis starts in your late teens and early 20s. It's onset happens in later life because of inactivity in your younger years not through running. Just an inaccurate stat because der people are taking up running for the first time in their older years. €300 for a pair of runners is only peanuts compared to €3k bicycle btw. Running is the cheapest hobby they're is.

What runners cost 300 euro? Hokas or Nike anything from 100 to 180"

€180 for my running runners, €140 for my crossfit runners. I've two sets of running runners that I go between depending on the session. Now I also have trail runners and walking runners. I'm seriously craving No Bull trainers atm suppose it adds up

By *ildmovementMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Trying to get back into it, was never really an avid runner but trying to get a bit fitter so trying to do 3 evening runs a week.

By *urfer DudeMan  over a year ago

Cobh

Not a runner then ?? "

Was a road racing cyclist on and off for years then got and into mountain biking and wind surfing. Had a few crashes whilst racing, but luckily most of my injuries were just superficial cuts and grazes. No chronic overuse injuries. Did quite a lot of running during off season to maintain my cardiovascular fitness. While out on my thrice weekly 10k runs i would meet lots of serious club and international runners who always seemed to be complaining about their various niggling injuries, and older runners who were in severe pain. I eventually came to the conclusion the impact of running was gonna fuck up my joints, as i didn't fancy the idea of being crippled with osteoarthritis in later years, i packed it in. I'm convinced anyone over the age of 30 shouldn't be running, unless they want to end up on the orthopedic surgeons operating table.

Now I'm into low impact stuff- sea kayaking, riding my bike, Open water swimming, hill walking,

By *othantaiochtMan  over a year ago

DC

"Any runners of Fab ??"
Yep

By *elfastblondMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Yip, me

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

You could say the very same of hurlers, footballers, golfers... Any active sport in fact. You do it for the sense of achievement, the euphoria from running a marathon and the sense of fulfillment. "

I do my sport for keeping myself fitish and the feeling good afterwards, there's no achievement craves or highs. Anyhow gave up running 7 years ago after some 30ish years of doing it, when I finally admitted to myself that I bloody hate it, that it's torture and that I'm not good at it. Since I only do what I really enjoy: cycling, swimming and roiding.

Yep, love running... And cycling and swimming

By *ewguy500Man  over a year ago

Fermanagh Tyrone

I’m a runner not many of us it seems

Yeap I agree. Taking up running after 40 is madness. You're doing more harm than good. You'd be better off walking or getting on a bike or some other form of low impact training.

"Any runners of Fab ??"
.. Runner here too Probably not as quick as some as I have ample frame to lug around!! But get out as much as can

Yeap I agree. Taking up running after 40 is madness. You're doing more harm than good. You'd be better off walking or getting on a bike or some other form of low impact training. "

True Calasthenics, Swimming, Yoga

By *rprotonMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"Any runners of Fab ??"

yeap, provided a panther, cougar, lion is provided and present...

wolves not so much, tend to warm up to me

xxx

Not a runner then ??

Was a road racing cyclist on and off for years then got and into mountain biking and wind surfing. Had a few crashes whilst racing, but luckily most of my injuries were just superficial cuts and grazes. No chronic overuse injuries. Did quite a lot of running during off season to maintain my cardiovascular fitness. While out on my thrice weekly 10k runs i would meet lots of serious club and international runners who always seemed to be complaining about their various niggling injuries, and older runners who were in severe pain. I eventually came to the conclusion the impact of running was gonna fuck up my joints, as i didn't fancy the idea of being crippled with osteoarthritis in later years, i packed it in. I'm convinced anyone over the age of 30 shouldn't be running, unless they want to end up on the orthopedic surgeons operating table.

Now I'm into low impact stuff- sea kayaking, riding my bike, Open water swimming, hill walking, "

Fair enough. I've been involved in running on and off for 10 years now. I didn't do anything else. 2 years ago I discovered crossfit, its hard training and definitely not low impact but its the best move I ever made. Running is stronger then it ever was before and at 45 I learned to do a handstand and pull up. Maybe ill be crippled in years to come but I'm not avoiding doing what I love and gaining new skills because I'm afraid of that. Fuck it, could be run over by a bus tomorrow ill keep running and lifting for now

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"Any runners of Fab ??"

Started running a month before my 40th birthday. Ran long-distance for 7 years until obsessive clock-watching and multiple disappointments resulted in my hating it. Gave it up (almost) completely. The most I would run now is 5k (no watch) and I really enjoy it now. Mrs

"Any runners of Fab ??

Started running a month before my 40th birthday. Ran long-distance for 7 years until obsessive clock-watching and multiple disappointments resulted in my hating it. Gave it up (almost) completely. The most I would run now is 5k (no watch) and I really enjoy it now. Mrs "

.... For an amateur runner like me that plods along at a snails pace, the clock watching is the worst thing you can do. It will break your spirit. Would you believe me if I told you that I run to check out houses (not rob them!)... But to see new ones being built, renovations, gardens etc... Its really makes the time fly but you come home with serious house envy

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

".... For an amateur runner like me that plods along at a snails pace, the clock watching is the worst thing you can do. It will break your spirit. Would you believe me if I told you that I run to check out houses (not rob them!)... But to see new ones being built, renovations, gardens etc... Its really makes the time fly but you come home with serious house envy "

Where were you 8 years ago SB when I needed that advice

My mistake was joining an athletics club where most people were good runners and totally obsessed with time. Sub-50 10k's were the norm and that was the ladies

Under 40 mins was expected for the lads, where's the enjoyment in that?

xxx

".... For an amateur runner like me that plods along at a snails pace, the clock watching is the worst thing you can do. It will break your spirit. Would you believe me if I told you that I run to check out houses (not rob them!)... But to see new ones being built, renovations, gardens etc... Its really makes the time fly but you come home with serious house envy

Where were you 8 years ago SB when I needed that advice

My mistake was joining an athletics club where most people were good runners and totally obsessed with time. Sub-50 10k's were the norm and that was the ladies

Under 40 mins was expected for the lads, where's the enjoyment in that? "

I club ran for years, it just bloody steals the joy. I do two proper run sessions a week, one is intervals and one long one with tempo in the middle. I love them. The most I do is 12km. The only time I've to run under pressure is a mile x2 for workouts like Murph. I would do a few k everyday but it's just for pleasure.

Yes, I love to get out and run the trails a few times a week. Good to get away from all the hassles of the world and enjoy the sights.

Yep! Cover 50k a week here...

My knees aren't up to it (thankfully)

By *sLittleRedRidingHoodWoman  over a year ago

Magical Forrest

Was running for couple of years...

By *iscuits8Man  over a year ago

Meath & Birmingham

"Was running for couple of years... "

Without taking a break?

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

I run in my sleep a lot!

Does that make up for my lack of daytime running?

I reckon so

Iike to jog in the mornings, could be 3, 5 or 7 km. I get bored as fuck running more than 10. I hate it as im doing it but it clears my mind of everything else so its my meditation.

I feel great once out from the shower afterwards and it burns a few calories which cant be all that bad

Ya I really enjoy it. I try to get 4/5 mornings a week in. Great for the body and mind

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

Running, hiking, sprinting...

JUST LOVE MOVING!

By *ugeload_atxMan  over a year ago

Goatstown

Yes, i have not competed since The London Marathon a decade ago, but I still train.

Yes love running, 100k plus a month when going well

By *ogladyWoman  over a year ago

The bog

Nah I'm too lazy to run..

By *icklowBMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

Love it! Training for the 45km Ecotrail in September. Fingers crossed it’s not cancelled this year

By *irmingham_Sissy_MaidTV/TS  over a year ago

sutton Coldfield

Runner here. Run most distances from 5k to ultra, for a few ultras planned for this year

Used to do a lot, but now enjoy the hiking trails around the country, much better scenery and not as boring

Yep - back training now. Hoping that DCM goes ahead. I've 3:30 targeted because I'm about 10kg heavier than I was when I was faster. Injuries, having a kid, going through a breakup, exams, pandemic. All led to weight gain! Back doing 50km a weeks though so I feel conditioned.

xxx

"Runner here. Run most distances from 5k to ultra, for a few ultras planned for this year"

Very impressive, ultra runners are the hardcore junkies of the running world. It takes some mindset to do it

sutton Coldfield

"Runner here. Run most distances from 5k to ultra, for a few ultras planned for this year

Very impressive, ultra runners are the hardcore junkies of the running world. It takes some mindset to do it "

Lol with a large percentage of craziness

xxx

"Runner here. Run most distances from 5k to ultra, for a few ultras planned for this year

Very impressive, ultra runners are the hardcore junkies of the running world. It takes some mindset to do it

Lol with a large percentage of craziness"

I've gone to marathon distance but ultra is a whole other level of crazy

By *eminexWoman  over a year ago

some where in outer space

Runner here also run about 5 days a week ...long distance ultra , hoping for a 12 and 24 HR soon ....

I'm running out of steam... fill me up Betty please

sutton Coldfield

I've gone to marathon distance but ultra is a whole other level of crazy "

I actually think marathons are harder as you tend to run faster and it’s more realistic to run a whole marathon. Ultras are just a long run broken up with multiple picnics along the way.

sutton Coldfield

"Runner here also run about 5 days a week ...long distance ultra , hoping for a 12 and 24 HR soon ...."

Done a few 100km and a few 24 hours (PB was 150km I think)

By *tarman44Man  over a year ago

waterford

Yea boston qualifier here

By *dventurebuddyMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny Glenmore

Runner here too. Well love adventure races have plenty done. Love mountain running

[Removed by poster at 11/05/21 13:46:39]

"Runner here also run about 5 days a week ...long distance ultra , hoping for a 12 and 24 HR soon ....

Done a few 100km and a few 24 hours (PB was 150km I think)"

. They are incredible distances. I did a marathon distance last week and it took me 4 hours. I can't even begin to think what 24 hours running is like. How many breaks do you take over that time?

sutton Coldfield

I’d say I have a 50/50 split on running/walking for ultras depending on how hilly it is. Tend to run the flats/downhill and walk the hills until you’re legs are in pieces when you walk more.

In terms of breaks for the 100km there were rest stations every 10km or so but I only stopped for 10 mins max as it was better to keep moving.

The 24 hours I basically just keep going until the early hours of the morning when I stopped to have some sleep for about 5 hours although I regretted that. It was a looped event so I just grabbed food and drink and had them as I walked. My personal favourite was rolling up a pizza and eating like a burrito. Learnt that trick from one of dean karnaze’s books.

xxx

I've gone to marathon distance but ultra is a whole other level of crazy

I actually think marathons are harder as you tend to run faster and it’s more realistic to run a whole marathon. Ultras are just a long run broken up with multiple picnics along the way. "

You know I was listening to the run pod podcast last week and jenni Faulkner was interviewing an ultra runner, thats exactly what they said as well !!!

sutton Coldfield

It’s quite a popular way of describing them and in fairness it is quite accurate

Don’t get me wrong they are tough going but I wouldn’t let the distance out you off!

xxx

"It’s quite a popular way of describing them and in fairness it is quite accurate

Don’t get me wrong they are tough going but I wouldn’t let the distance out you off!"

Not a 2021 goal my focus is crossfit and getting up that whiteboard. Its definitely something I'd like to try in a year or two.

"It’s quite a popular way of describing them and in fairness it is quite accurate

Don’t get me wrong they are tough going but I wouldn’t let the distance out you off!

Not a 2021 goal my focus is crossfit and getting up that whiteboard. Its definitely something I'd like to try in a year or two. "

. Same I think 26 miles is about az far as my body is able to go at moment! But I love a challenge so might try do 100 miles over 3 days

Something like that

By *dventureSeanMan  over a year ago

Kerry

Love mountain running myself.

Also a keen Adventure Racer myself . Hence the name.

xxx

Not a 2021 goal my focus is crossfit and getting up that whiteboard. Its definitely something I'd like to try in a year or two.

. Same I think 26 miles is about az far as my body is able to go at moment! But I love a challenge so might try do 100 miles over 3 days

Something like that "

Thats achievable, it'd be tough but doable

Love running after my cancer and chemo during lock down I have turned to road running mainly..now running 10kms 3 to 4 times a week joined my local running club & now race competitively. Plan is to do my first half marathon & marathon in the next 6 months & raise money for macmillan & cancer research.

By *aseman_291Man  over a year ago

kildare

Can't beat a good run or even walk.. did my first 10km lately. Good feeling at finish line

By *ileen_cdTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

I run 3-5km 4 days a week, for a bit of exercise and to clear the head. Love it.

By *eanbelfastMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Have had a few injuries over Covid but still like to get out running now I’ve recovered

By *him and MherCouple  over a year ago

Mullingar

Yes we both run

By *elfastblondMan  over a year ago

Belfast

parkrun this morning

By *occiMan  over a year ago

Co Down

Any tips for running in a strong head wind? Since lockdown would run the beach near me few times a week in the morning, usually hitting 4 or 5k on it depending if do a bit more than 1 single lap up and down. But yday morning was near impossible to run back up it with the wind in the face, even tried zig zagging up and down the beach so it wasn't directly in my face.

Have ran it in the autumn and winter gales the past year and not been as bad as yesterday I thought.

By *ublinguy99Man  over a year ago

Dublin South

Important to stay active, keeps you healthy, do what you like doing and do it for yourself.

By *ogerismynicknameMan  over a year ago

Athlone

Yep love getting out and enjoying a nice run.some days depending how I'm feeling that run could vary from 4kms to 20kms

By *he SophisticatsCouple  over a year ago

Casa Del PURRRR!!

"Any runners of Fab ??"

I think there’s quite a few of us…

By *ackie 100Man  over a year ago

galway

Yep love the running …a few times a week

Yep, Runner in Derry here.