FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Power cuts

Power cuts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *osmicGate OP   Man  over a year ago

louth

So apparently this winter we will experience more black outs than usual.. The thoughts of a few hours on a cold winters evening with no lecki

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just heard about this today. Brrrrr...

Must stock up on hot bods...

I mean bottles, hot water bottles

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Anyone that bought an electric car is now going to have charging the battery anxiety as well as range anxiety

By *aint_or_SinnerWoman  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"Just heard about this today. Brrrrr...

I mean bottles, hot water bottles "

And fuel for the stove

By *errardNo8Man  over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

"So apparently this winter we will experience more black outs than usual.. The thoughts of a few hours on a cold winters evening with no lecki

"

Nice fire on, cosy candlelit room, doesn't sound bad to me

By *ukeM8519Man  over a year ago

Leitrim

If they turned off all the unnecessary lights in city’s they would save so much energy. I live near a 3rd level campus that has massive car parks which sit empty when dark but they have 1000’s of lights on all year round to light them up with nobody using them.

Lots of office blocks the same.

Ban Christmas lights.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Apparently data centres are responsible for the highest percentage of electricity being used.

"Apparently data centres are responsible for the highest percentage of electricity being used.

"

They sure do. The servers create so much heat plus the energy use used to cool the server rooms.

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"Apparently data centres are responsible for the highest percentage of electricity being used.

They sure do. The servers create so much heat plus the energy use used to cool the server rooms. "

There ya go so. Well just shut them down and have no more of your talk about no christmas lights

They sure do. The servers create so much heat plus the energy use used to cool the server rooms.

There ya go so. Well just shut them down and have no more of your talk about no christmas lights "

Good thinking. Ban data hoarding, save Christmas

There ya go so. Well just shut them down and have no more of your talk about no christmas lights

Good thinking. Ban data hoarding, save Christmas "

Xmas lights or the Internet?

Body heat....

Anyone

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

The interim solutions are adding loads more renewable and adding international interconnections to import power from elsewhere when necessary.

It just so happens that in my local area we have protests over both a local solar farm, and the new celtic interconnector connector project which will link us with with the French grid and allow us to use their power when necessary.

People are idiots.

The stove, flannel sheets and fun with pyjamas

Showing our age !!!!!

By *aint_or_SinnerWoman  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"Body heat....

Anyone "

been covered - you're late to the table

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 18:59:56]

"The interim solutions are adding loads more renewable and adding international interconnections to import power from elsewhere when necessary.

It just so happens that in my local area we have protests over both a local solar farm, and the new celtic interconnector connector project which will link us with with the French grid and allow us to use their power when necessary.

People are idiots."

^^^^^^^ I agree with you 1000%. Where I'm from there's been several protests over Wind-Farms & they won...OMFG...What planet are they on... "People Are Idiots" is an understatement.

"The interim solutions are adding loads more renewable and adding international interconnections to import power from elsewhere when necessary.

People are idiots.

^^^^^^^ I agree with you 1000%. Where I'm from there's been several protests over Wind-Farms & they won...OMFG...What planet are they on... "People Are Idiots" is an understatement. "

In fairness, windfarms are unsightly and turbines are noisy

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man  over a year ago

Tip Hackballscross..Monaghan..

..a crumby coat,two ladies (wan each side),hot watter bottle,100wt coal ,the list is endless......

"..a crumby coat,two ladies (wan each side),hot watter bottle,100wt coal ,the list is endless...... "

How u heating the water

"..a crumby coat,two ladies (wan each side),hot watter bottle,100wt coal ,the list is endless......

How u heating the water"

coal, its on the list. he remembers the old ways

"..a crumby coat,two ladies (wan each side),hot watter bottle,100wt coal ,the list is endless......

How u heating the water"

Steal some coal for ur stove but not much you'll need it to walk round ur house ta keep warm

By *oxminxCouple  over a year ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Planning for data centers should stipulate generating their own on-site renewable power whilst also connecting to the national grid enabling them contribute to the community as opposed to sucking the life out of our resources.

East / North, Cork

I would be DELIGHTED to have a wind turbine next to me.

People are idiots.

^^^^^^^ I agree with you 1000%. Where I'm from there's been several protests over Wind-Farms & they won...OMFG...What planet are they on... "People Are Idiots" is an understatement.

In fairness, windfarms are unsightly and turbines are noisy "

So you'd rather electrical power-cuts... than Wind-Farms

I don't think they're unsightly tbh but yea I would take the noise factor into consideration

"I would be DELIGHTED to have a wind turbine next to me."

That's a luxury I cud never afford

Something nice listening to them as they wisp away in the darkness tho useless at kepin ya warm..

People are idiots.

I don't think they're unsightly tbh but yea I would take the noise factor into consideration"

No, just saying I see why people protest.

By *oadrunner2000Man  over a year ago

city centre

People are idiots."

Nuclear is the only answer...

[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 19:32:44]

[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 19:36:50]

"[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 19:32:44]

Anyway...it's the rural areas that are gonna be without power & they're the very ones who are rejecting ,objecting & protesting against renewable energy "

Obviously it's the rural people that's protesting, u can't put a windturbine in rathmines.

"[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 19:32:44]

Anyway...it's the rural areas that are gonna be without power & they're the very ones who are rejecting ,objecting & protesting against renewable energy

Obviously it's the rural people that's protesting, u can't put a windturbine in rathmines. "

Lol I know...

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

Cannot understand why the ESB do not have wind turbines down at the Poolbeg power station in Ringsend and also tidal turbines, the tide comes in twice a day.

"Cannot understand why the ESB do not have wind turbines down at the Poolbeg power station in Ringsend and also tidal turbines, the tide comes in twice a day."

And no rural people there to protest.

louth

"I would be DELIGHTED to have a wind turbine next to me."

Oh you wouldn't.. If the constant hum didn't drive you crazy the constant flicker of light as the vanes of the turbine block out the sun when the go around will.. The only place for wind farms is miles out at sea.. Irish sea has a massive wind farm..

"I would be DELIGHTED to have a wind turbine next to me.

Oh you wouldn't.. If the constant hum didn't drive you crazy the constant flicker of light as the vanes of the turbine block out the sun when the go around will.. The only place for wind farms is miles out at sea.. Irish sea has a massive wind farm.. "

Didn't want to be the one to call bollocks on that

By *ineapple_PrincessWoman  over a year ago

in the waves

Read a really interesting article recently about wind turbines and how the blades can't be recycled, so they are going into landfills now in massive numbers.

Data centres are the main issue here and they need to be held accountable for the emount of energy they are using. The US is having similar issues in california from too many people charging their electric cars. New technology causes new problems unfortunately.

East / North, Cork

People are idiots.

Nuclear is the only answer... "

We effectively will be using nuclear power with the celtic interconnextor. 70% of French power is nuclear.

If we can't get nice clean inoffensive solar farms past the nimby twats then there is zero hope for nuclear generation here

People are idiots."

I could not have said it better. Well done, sound post!

East / North, Cork

"I would be DELIGHTED to have a wind turbine next to me.

Oh you wouldn't.. If the constant hum didn't drive you crazy the constant flicker of light as the vanes of the turbine block out the sun when the go around will.. The only place for wind farms is miles out at sea.. Irish sea has a massive wind farm.. "

I absolutely would. I used to work on a building way closer to a turbine than the current regs allow.

I actually tried to finance one on our land at one point bit it was too expensive.

People are idiots.

I don't think they're unsightly tbh but yea I would take the noise factor into consideration"

Realistically they could and should be off the west coast in the Atlantic ocean. There are hundreds of miles of the windiest shoreline in Europe. We should be supplying Europe with green electricity nevermind trying to buy it from them.

As for talk of nuclear. We couldn't build a tunnel big enough to take some of the trucks in Dublin port and you want to let them loose with nuclear power.

East / North, Cork

i would agree the offshore wind and tidal power is a better option though as they provide a steadier flow of power.

"Cannot understand why the ESB do not have wind turbines down at the Poolbeg power station in Ringsend and also tidal turbines, the tide comes in twice a day.

And no rural people there to protest. "

Exactly...now ye have it...I did think of that too... there are a few locations around Dublin city where renewable energy sources could be installed & "no rural peeps to object"

Sur we'll never see them in the dark!

People are idiots.

I don't think they're unsightly tbh but yea I would take the noise factor into consideration

Realistically they could and should be off the west coast in the Atlantic ocean. There are hundreds of miles of the windiest shoreline in Europe. We should be supplying Europe with green electricity nevermind trying to buy it from them.

As for talk of nuclear. We couldn't build a tunnel big enough to take some of the trucks in Dublin port and you want to let them loose with nuclear power. "

I agree 10000%... Ireland has so much natural energy... especially the Windy West Atlantic... Sure they found natural gas there too & they won't pipe it in. We need more Green Party TDs in Dail Eireann & yes we must certainly could be supplying Europe with renewable energy

People are idiots.

As for talk of nuclear. We couldn't build a tunnel big enough to take some of the trucks in Dublin port and you want to let them loose with nuclear power.

I agree 10000%... Ireland has so much natural energy... especially the Windy West Atlantic... Sure they found natural gas there too & they won't pipe it in. We need more Green Party TDs in Dail Eireann & yes we must certainly could be supplying Europe with renewable energy "

Oh dear

By *angero3aMan  over a year ago

swords

another one of the greens policy knock of the power and let older people sit in the dark and cold

South County Dublin

[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 21:04:13]

South County Dublin

"Cannot understand why the ESB do not have wind turbines down at the Poolbeg power station in Ringsend and also tidal turbines, the tide comes in twice a day.

And no rural people there to protest.

Exactly...now ye have it...I did think of that too... there are a few locations around Dublin city where renewable energy sources could be installed & "no rural peeps to object" "

there is an incinerator down in Poolbeg which is meant to generate electricity

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

There ya go so. Well just shut them down and have no more of your talk about no christmas lights "

OR

Recycle the energy created by said data centres.

Its absolutely stupid that we don't include this as a condition for planning.

That recycled energy could run a small town!!!

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

"Just heard about this today. Brrrrr...

I mean bottles, hot water bottles "

I really wouldn’t want to be used to warm someone up on that way . It’s degrading

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

The government should be sacked if there are power black outs

[Removed by poster at 29/09/21 23:45:23]

New tech causes new problem

That's a mic drop moment right there. So true though and we'll adapt question is will we do it fast enough.

I think we all know the answer to that one already

By *ountrygent90Man  over a year ago

Dublin

People are idiots.

In fairness, windfarms are unsightly and turbines are noisy "

Wind farms only work if it’s windy. That’s the problem, we need the coal and gas plants on for non windy days.

We can’t just add more wind energy because it will make the grid unstable.

I'm not very much political but all l can say is ,from what l've watched ,seen and listened to over the past while, that Eamon Ryan is , in my opinion , one person that l've grown to seriously dislike , what a pompous fuckwit .

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 06:50:01]

East / North, Cork

OR

Recycle the energy created by said data centres.

Its absolutely stupid that we don't include this as a condition for planning.

That recycled energy could run a small town!!!"

I'm out of the rat race more than a decade now... but when I used to see data centres back in the day they used to heat water using the heat from the servers and use that for central heating.

How would they go about recycling that heat for energy in a bigger way? Surely there isn't high enough temperature to boil water to run a turbine?

East / North, Cork

People are idiots.

Wind farms only work if it’s windy. That’s the problem, we need the coal and gas plants on for non windy days.

We can’t just add more wind energy because it will make the grid unstable."

That's why we need to aim for offshore wind and tidal. That's a far steadier supply.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Most heating systems need electricity, so that's the nation freezing if it happens and ye can't even make a cup of tea! That's your cake or biscuit with a cold glass of milk for ye.

It's time the data centres start paying taxes, if they gobble massive amounts of energy, they should contribute accordingly to the infrastructure.

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

A number of power stations have been closed over the last few years with nothing to replace them.

The green / renewable sources are not up to the task at the moment.

Solar obviously won’t help in the dark winter months. And wind can be unpredictable, they also need to absorb power when there is no wind to keep the blades turning slowly as they bend under their own weight if not turning and then become unbalanced and have to be replaced. Having been close to them in operation I definitely understand why you would not want them near your house. There is quite a sound off the blades not to mention the birds getting clattered.

Off shore they have more predictable wind patterns and also no planning objection issues.

But natural gas power plants have been blocked by the Green Party even though it is a fossil fuel it is one of the cleanest and could be a good back up as they can be turned on and off relatively quickly

By *ndrew1974Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

It’s a tactic. People up in arms over new power lines.And in my opinion righty so. So the established say let’s give them a few dark nights and outages. Next time we propose new power lines they won’t be as quick to object.

"Most heating systems need electricity, so that's the nation freezing if it happens and ye can't even make a cup of tea! That's your cake or biscuit with a cold glass of milk for ye.

It's time the data centres start paying taxes, if they gobble massive amounts of energy, they should contribute accordingly to the infrastructure. "

I've got two wood burning stoves and a forest, I'm all set

Need any chompin...chopping done?

on the hill NordWest of

"Most heating systems need electricity, so that's the nation freezing if it happens and ye can't even make a cup of tea! That's your cake or biscuit with a cold glass of milk for ye.

It's time the data centres start paying taxes, if they gobble massive amounts of energy, they should contribute accordingly to the infrastructure.

I've got two wood burning stoves and a forest, I'm all set "

A forest! Now that's clever.

I too have my Ray Burn in the kitchen with which I can cook, bake, heat and it provides hot water and a stove in the living room. wood supplier near by .

East / North, Cork

We have 9 fireplaces lol. All good here

"We have 9 fireplaces lol. All good here"

That's just to much work, 1 backup generator here

louth

"I'm not very much political but all l can say is ,from what l've watched ,seen and listened to over the past while, that Eamon Ryan is , in my opinion , one person that l've grown to seriously dislike , what a pompous fuckwit ."

I agree if he had his way we would all be going around on a bike no cars at all.. If the greens get power they will destroy the country.. Petrol will be 2 euro a litre.. Not that increasing the price of petrol will somehow lessen the severity of global warming.. Ridiculous logic..

Its going to be like the 60s and 70s again. May go and buy a few boxes of candles before the stampede.

I always find it ironic when people criticise data centres online...just me??

"I always find it ironic when people criticise data centres online...just me??"

It's the amount of electricity they use and don't pay a cent for it .

Incorrect

If the lights go out during this winter, just remember the Green Party are solely responsible for shutting down the peat bogs and closing the gas fired power stations. Eamon Ryan won't be happy until we are all cycling around in the rain soaked to the skin, while he still gets to drive his dirty 15 year old 2.5 litre diesel van around Dublin.

Oh yeah totally

Why are they storing all that crap anyway? For ransom?

if it came to the crunch what would you choose to allocate energy towards ... id chuck my phone and keep it the lights.

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

People are idiots.

Nuclear is the only answer... "

If a children's hospital that should cost €600m is going to cost €2bn then I wonder what a €20bn nuclear power plant would cost....Ireland is too small for a nuclear plant. But if every house had photovoltaic solar panels it would help power them and feed the grid.

Data centres, massive users of energy, lot of jobs in construction but only 30 people needed to run one. But then if we didn't have them....no FAB

on the hill NordWest of

You should become a politician, or maybe you are one.

Just a simple observation the majority clearly dont have a good understanding of what a data centre actually is.

on the hill NordWest of

"Just a simple observation the majority clearly dont have a good understanding of what a data centre actually is. "

You don't really need to have a good understanding of what a data centre is, to understand that they gobble electricity, pay fuck all tax and bring the infrastructure to the limit. It's the usual suspects of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon et alteri. 'There are 53 operational data centres in Ireland, with 8 more under construction and 26 with planning approval and are expected to double by 2025.' Latest by 2025 we have to ration the electricity....

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

Unpacked my new petrol powered genny here so thats the lights sorted gravity fed oil stove in the sitting room and wood burner in the sun room with about two years timber cut and stored toasty winter ahead

SEAI (goverment) have pursued a policy of pushing air to water heating systems in new builds with no forward planning as to how we supply electricity to power these units or the electricity to charge all these electric cars which singularly isn't really an issue. Until u have loads of new units plugging in beside the growth of data centres and other commercial ventures in a growing economy.

So all the green credits we earned by switching to green ways to heat and provide transport are nullified by the carbon we pump out generating electricity

Forward planning isn't a strong point in the irish policy makers arsenal instead of banning cars inside the m50 and reducing emissions within our city's by creating mass transport solutions within the environs of those city's they want to cut down trees to add lanes to add more cars.

Data centers don't pop up overnight they take planning and long construction times so there has being plenty of lead time to upscale our supply networks.

We need a national planning authority to oversee the development of Ireland going forward just like the national roads authority that so successfully sorted out the lack of decent roads we had to todays standard

One authority looking at planning, waste generation and disposal, electricity supply,water supply provision of housing and related supports (schools hospitals and such)

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

"Just a simple observation the majority clearly dont have a good understanding of what a data centre actually is.

You don't really need to have a good understanding of what a data centre is, to understand that they gobble electricity, pay fuck all tax and bring the infrastructure to the limit. It's the usual suspects of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon et alteri. 'There are 53 operational data centres in Ireland, with 8 more under construction and 26 with planning approval and are expected to double by 2025.' Latest by 2025 we have to ration the electricity.... "

Multi nationals are bad in many ways , including skewing the GDP , but they do bring employment

By *ountrygent90Man  over a year ago

Dublin

People are idiots.

We can’t just add more wind energy because it will make the grid unstable.

That's why we need to aim for offshore wind and tidal. That's a far steadier supply."

Offshore wind yes, but a lot of the ships needed in the construction of offshore wind don’t exist yet, so they have to be built.

Tidal doesn’t work for various reasons, every tidal company so far has failed.

on the hill NordWest of

"Just a simple observation the majority clearly dont have a good understanding of what a data centre actually is.

You don't really need to have a good understanding of what a data centre is, to understand that they gobble electricity, pay fuck all tax and bring the infrastructure to the limit. It's the usual suspects of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon et alteri. 'There are 53 operational data centres in Ireland, with 8 more under construction and 26 with planning approval and are expected to double by 2025.' Latest by 2025 we have to ration the electricity....

Multi nationals are bad in many ways , including skewing the GDP , but they do bring employment "

It's decades now ff/fg politicians excuse everything with 'employment' (or shall we call it low paid jobs) when it comes to the multinationals. So it's ok then when the lights go out in the country?

city centre

It's high time we went nuclear...

city centre

People are idiots.

Nuclear is the only answer...

If a children's hospital that should cost €600m is going to cost €2bn then I wonder what a €20bn nuclear power plant would cost....Ireland is too small for a nuclear plant. But if every house had photovoltaic solar panels it would help power them and feed the grid.

Data centres, massive users of energy, lot of jobs in construction but only 30 people needed to run one. But then if we didn't have them....no FAB "

Just wonder who's paying for pv on everyone's home.. Along with the cosf of an electric car as well as new heat pumps and home retro fitting... Not everyone has a spare 60 grand lying around

By *ara198Woman  over a year ago

maynooth

People are missing the point. We need to reduce the amount of energy we are using, that's the starting point. People won't do that unfortunately.

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"So apparently this winter we will experience more black outs than usual.. The thoughts of a few hours on a cold winters evening with no lecki

"

Get a wee generator and changeover switch fitted. No biggy

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

"It's high time we went nuclear... "

If the Irish power system is to be connected to France that is effectively going nuclear because the French generate a very high % of their power from nuclear power stations.

The new Hinckley Point C in UK is being built by EDF and will cost at least 30,000,000,000 (thirty billions) with a pejected lifespan of sixty years, but with a nuclear legacy lasting tens of thousands of years.

city centre

"People are missing the point. We need to reduce the amount of energy we are using, that's the starting point. People won't do that unfortunately. "

To be honest I don't think people general use of everyday power usage has changed dramatically in the last number of decades. Sure we have more electronic devices but they are fairly low energy use. Lots of hones now use much more efficient appliances and lighting than say 20 years ago. Electric cars are going to consume an enormous amount of electricity over the coming years as do heat pumps. There's no real easy way out of this for the normal joe soap. Everyone has the same opinion of"we need to use less"but same have no real solutions.

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

"People are missing the point. We need to reduce the amount of energy we are using, that's the starting point. People won't do that unfortunately.

To be honest I don't think people general use of everyday power usage has changed dramatically in the last number of decades. Sure we have more electronic devices but they are fairly low energy use. Lots of hones now use much more efficient appliances and lighting than say 20 years ago. Electric cars are going to consume an enormous amount of electricity over the coming years as do heat pumps. There's no real easy way out of this for the normal joe soap. Everyone has the same opinion of"we need to use less"but same have no real solutions. "

If heat pumps are designed, installed and used correctly the. They don’t use that much electricity. The compressor might only run for a few hours a day.

city centre

"People are missing the point. We need to reduce the amount of energy we are using, that's the starting point. People won't do that unfortunately.

To be honest I don't think people general use of everyday power usage has changed dramatically in the last number of decades. Sure we have more electronic devices but they are fairly low energy use. Lots of hones now use much more efficient appliances and lighting than say 20 years ago. Electric cars are going to consume an enormous amount of electricity over the coming years as do heat pumps. There's no real easy way out of this for the normal joe soap. Everyone has the same opinion of"we need to use less"but same have no real solutions.

If heat pumps are designed, installed and used correctly the. They don’t use that much electricity. The compressor might only run for a few hours a day. "

Point being most people can't afford to just splash out 10 grand for the installation of a heat pump or 35 grand for an electric car.green energy is beyond the reach of a massive percentage of the population and the way the sleepy gimpy ryan is carrying on we won't be able to afford to run a regular car or heat or homes shortly..

louth

"It's high time we went nuclear... "

Yep it's the only way.. All other renewable energy is unreliable.. Just don't have any accidents and we'll be ok..

somewhere

I actually thought that we're part Nuclear anyway since we take in power from The UK and France

I'm starting to look at heat pumps/ solar panels at the moment....I think they're my next home improvement item but electric cars are not on my agenda for another couple of years yet

louth

"I actually thought that we're part Nuclear anyway since we take in power from The UK and France

I'm starting to look at heat pumps/ solar panels at the moment....I think they're my next home improvement item but electric cars are not on my agenda for another couple of years yet "

I have a solar panel on my roof.. It heats the water but doesn't do much else.. A photovoltaic solar panel will harness the energy from the sun's rays and store it to a battery to be used for whatever you want then.. They've come down hugely in price.. Agree with you on the electric cars.. I'll wait for hydrogen vehicles to make an appearance..

somewhere

"I actually thought that we're part Nuclear anyway since we take in power from The UK and France

I'm starting to look at heat pumps/ solar panels at the moment....I think they're my next home improvement item but electric cars are not on my agenda for another couple of years yet

I have a solar panel on my roof.. It heats the water but doesn't do much else.. A photovoltaic solar panel will harness the energy from the sun's rays and store it to a battery to be used for whatever you want then.. They've come down hugely in price.. Agree with you on the electric cars.. I'll wait for hydrogen vehicles to make an appearance.. "

I have an electric shower in my en-suite so in the summer don't need to have the immersion on for hot water but would like to shave with hot water in the mornings .....how hot does it get ....does it heat the whole tank

louth

I have a solar panel on my roof.. It heats the water but doesn't do much else.. A photovoltaic solar panel will harness the energy from the sun's rays and store it to a battery to be used for whatever you want then.. They've come down hugely in price.. Agree with you on the electric cars.. I'll wait for hydrogen vehicles to make an appearance..

I have an electric shower in my en-suite so in the summer don't need to have the immersion on for hot water but would like to shave with hot water in the mornings .....how hot does it get ....does it heat the whole tank "

Roasting hot even on a dull day.. Hard to believe really.. Yes AFAIK it heats whole tank..

on the hill NordWest of

I'm starting to look at heat pumps/ solar panels at the moment....I think they're my next home improvement item but electric cars are not on my agenda for another couple of years yet "

Be careful with air to water heatpumps, they only work in houses with a B or A BER and start failing when temperatures drop below 0.

somewhere

Be careful with air to water heatpumps, they only work in houses with a B or A BER and start failing when temperatures drop below 0. "

Thats what Ive just learned also....its the one I was looking at because the back garden was landscaped and don't want to dig it up

A lot of investigation to be done this winter

on the hill NordWest of

Be careful with air to water heatpumps, they only work in houses with a B or A BER and start failing when temperatures drop below 0.

Thats what Ive just learned also....its the one I was looking at because the back garden was landscaped and don't want to dig it up

A lot of investigation to be done this winter "

The geothermal pump is expensive to install, best done when building a new house. I did a fair amount of research but I haven't found a solution yet for my house. so please let me know when you find some genius sustainable method to heat a older house.

cork

The geothermal pump is expensive to install, best done when building a new house. I did a fair amount of research but I haven't found a solution yet for my house. so please let me know when you find some genius sustainable method to heat a older house.

"

I’d have to disagree with some of this. Air to water heat pumps don’t fail at zero degrees. In our temperate climate we very rarely get down to temperatures where A-to-W fails. Back in 2009 and 2010 when we had sustained low temps with lows of minus 10 and lower I had A-to-W heat pumps working away no problem. Granted they need an immersion to help out but they never failed.

Yes ground source heat pumps are far better but the initial costs usually mean that people go with the A-to-W option. But they also have much longer life spans and are more efficient.

somewhere

Whats the typical costs for a large house for both....any good websites you'd recommend to use to investigate running costs,payback times.

cork

"Whats the typical costs for a large house for both....any good websites you'd recommend to use to investigate running costs,payback times.

"

The SEAI has pretty good info on both systems.

As for running costs you would need an up to date BER and heat loss calculation for an accurate price but between €600 to €1000 per year.

If you are thinking of upgrading look at insulation first. If the house is well insulated then any heating system can be efficient.

somewhere

"Whats the typical costs for a large house for both....any good websites you'd recommend to use to investigate running costs,payback times.

As for running costs you would need an up to date BER and heat loss calculation for an accurate price but between €600 to €1000 per year.

If you are thinking of upgrading look at insulation first. If the house is well insulated then any heating system can be efficient.

"

Thanks....I'll look into getting a BER first and take it from there

cork

Thanks....I'll look into getting a BER first and take it from there "

I should say too that those running costs are for heat and hot water 24/7 as opposed to conventional oil or gas that runs for a few hours a day.

By *rkkidMan  over a year ago

Cork

From my previous to my current rented house.

My previous address(Ber C) the landlord invested between 6-10k on solar panels. Tbh I didn't notice any difference on the electricity bills. Only noticeable during the Summer we had a constant supply of hot water which meant no need for the electric shower.

Forward to my address now which has a Ber B rating, air to water heating system, underfloor heating with a supply of 24/7 hot water and the constant indoor temperature of 21 degrees. Saying that the average outdoor temp has rarely dropped below 15 degrees until the last day or two.. Will be curious to see how much difference the bills will be..

But with power shortages.. What difference will it make I'll wish it had a fireplace

"It's high time we went nuclear...

Yep it's the only way.. All other renewable energy is unreliable.. Just don't have any accidents and we'll be ok.. "

I work in a UK Power Station and am against nuclear for one simple reason. Humans fuck up. It’s what we do. Fuck up in my station and we may emit a bit of extra CO2 for half a day. Fuck up in a Nuke and only you can guess. Go Gas, solar and wind generation. But most of all try to be energy efficient at home and work.

louth

Yep it's the only way.. All other renewable energy is unreliable.. Just don't have any accidents and we'll be ok..

I work in a UK Power Station and am against nuclear for one simple reason. Humans fuck up. It’s what we do. Fuck up in my station and we may emit a bit of extra CO2 for half a day. Fuck up in a Nuke and only you can guess. Go Gas, solar and wind generation. But most of all try to be energy efficient at home and work. "

It has worked great in France for decades.. Why can't it work on these Isles?

Are we that reckless...

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

I’d have to disagree with some of this. Air to water heat pumps don’t fail at zero degrees. In our temperate climate we very rarely get down to temperatures where A-to-W fails. Back in 2009 and 2010 when we had sustained low temps with lows of minus 10 and lower I had A-to-W heat pumps working away no problem. Granted they need an immersion to help out but they never failed.

Yes ground source heat pumps are far better but the initial costs usually mean that people go with the A-to-W option. But they also have much longer life spans and are more efficient. "

While i agree with a lot of this A to W runs very well above 4 degrees once u start going below this the ratio drops and at -4 degrees is similar to gas or oil. In the big freeze of 2010 i do know of people that moved to hotels as their Geo or A to water failed to maintain temps inside and with no alternative heat source in the house they had to move. That was the extreme and most of the heat systems were incorrectly fitted or sized so do ur homework look at insulation and windows get to at least a B2 BER before jumping

When getting a heating contractor be sure to check them out ask for references and don't think just because they are on an SEAI contractors list that they are the bees knees

By *im tim timMan  over a year ago

c

and all the wind turbines in the country and the price of electric going up because of fuel inflation but the wind turbines dont use any fuel so someone is cleaning up and the people of ireland are staying very quiet about the price rise of wind energy rising..

I work in a UK Power Station and am against nuclear for one simple reason. Humans fuck up. It’s what we do. Fuck up in my station and we may emit a bit of extra CO2 for half a day. Fuck up in a Nuke and only you can guess. Go Gas, solar and wind generation. But most of all try to be energy efficient at home and work.

Are we that reckless... "

Do you think every single fuck up is made public? Think again.

somewhere

Are we that reckless...

Do you think every single fuck up is made public? Think again. "

Ffs how the fuck are we meant to sleep now....does Homer Simpson work there

Are we that reckless...

Ffs how the fuck are we meant to sleep now....does Homer Simpson work there "

Homer Simpson is a genius compared to some of the fuckwits I have come across in my career. Sleep well my friend, ignorance is bliss.

somewhere

Are we that reckless...

Ffs how the fuck are we meant to sleep now....does Homer Simpson work there

Homer Simpson is a genius compared to some of the fuckwits I have come across in my career. Sleep well my friend, ignorance is bliss. "

Any like The China Syndrome

I love the positivity this forum brings

» Add a new message to this topic