FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > International stuttering awareness day

International stuttering awareness day

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ealitybites OP   Man  over a year ago

Belfast

International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed annually on October 22. Stuttering is a communication disorder in which repetitions — or abnormal stoppages of sounds and syllables — break the flow of speech. There may also be unusual facial and body movements associated with speaking. International Stuttering Awareness Day shines a helpful spotlight on stutterers and educates the public about the causes.

This is something I haven't seen discussed anywhere for a long time and seems to have been overshadowed by other issues.

I know the effect it had on friends of mine growing up and more of them were bullied for speech impediments than they were for any other reason.

I'm sure if people are honest some of you opened this thread expecting it to be a joke which in itself highlights how some people view stuttering in general.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

I'm sure if people are honest some of you opened this thread expecting it to be a joke which in itself highlights how some people view stuttering in general.

"

I'll be honest I did look to see who the poster was before I opened.

Says more about what I think of people on here than stuttering though I think.

I agree though how it is often represented in media and entertainment as a joke or to show someone with other issues really harms the image of people with a speech impediment

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

Thank you for highlighting such an important issue OP. Makes some people’s life very difficult indeed

» Add a new message to this topic