FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > How’s your mental health?

How’s your mental health?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How are you folk currently coping with all that’s going on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Pretty much the same as I have been all along.Some days are good some not so good especially with my job and the pressure we can be under at times but that's probably the same for almost everyone who is working.

I'm just grateful for great friends who don't realise how much they have helped me when there have been some really tough days.

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

"How are you folk currently coping with all that’s going on?"

Why , what's going on

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Been very lucky, lost a lot of last year to physical heath problems. But back working now and have been too busy to have any other problems. Having said that 2 people I knew commited suicide.1 of them was a school friend

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

No different to normal. My dark days and nights are well behind me now and nothing that has happened in the last 20 months has come close. It's just been a blip. That's down to good friendship and self determination.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"No different to normal. My dark days and nights are well behind me now and nothing that has happened in the last 20 months has come close. It's just been a blip. That's down to good friendship and self determination. "
Good friends are important and getting rid of bad ‘friends’ even more so

Belfast

"No different to normal. My dark days and nights are well behind me now and nothing that has happened in the last 20 months has come close. It's just been a blip. That's down to good friendship and self determination. Good friends are important and getting rid of bad ‘friends’ even more so "

It's easy to get rid of bad friends. As soon as you refuse to take sides in their daily drama, ignore their need for validation and stop listening to the lies they tell themselves, they drift off to find someone else to use.

I just take life a day at a time and try the the positive out of anything negative to the best of my ability. I make a structure of my day no matter what's happening, i have a morning ritual i go by and it is s working. If i am feeling really bad and dark days which is a rarity now thank god i do reach out.Op for me it's about learning coping skills and using them in every day life.

Compared to march/April of 2020 it is a lot better. I found stopping myself from doom scrolling to be a good thing. I also avoid a lot of stuff on Facebook and stick to Facebook groups that arent negative.

"No different to normal. My dark days and nights are well behind me now and nothing that has happened in the last 20 months has come close. It's just been a blip. That's down to good friendship and self determination. Good friends are important and getting rid of bad ‘friends’ even more so

It's easy to get rid of bad friends. As soon as you refuse to take sides in their daily drama, ignore their need for validation and stop listening to the lies they tell themselves, they drift off to find someone else to use. "

That's a great way of putting it

I'll use these words if that's OK with you

By *ustjimmykerryMan  over a year ago

Limerick

I got a one way ticket to portuagl in October, I'm still away, and haven't heard one person mention covid in months, has done wonders for the mental health

By *lay rock69Man  over a year ago

monaghan

Good days and bad days more good then bad so that great for me

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

It does improve when you do what makes you happy

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

Getting out for a walk helps

Do struggle with my mental health anyway but have really struggled with it during the lockdown

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

The last 20months have been very challenging for me especially in my work but my family have been amazing especially my mum shes one in a million also i have found a group of people who i meet with for fun regularly that is my outlet my time to forget about all the crap going on and just focus on myself and having fun

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

"I just take life a day at a time and try the the positive out of anything negative to the best of my ability. I make a structure of my day no matter what's happening, i have a morning ritual i go by and it is s working. If i am feeling really bad and dark days which is a rarity now thank god i do reach out.Op for me it's about learning coping skills and using them in every day life. "

Beautifully articulated.

By *asterandhissparklesCouple  over a year ago

tipperary

Really nice and thoughtful thread op.

I personally have hated lockdown and really struggled with not working and ultimately feeling my contribution to the world, and money that went with it, is non existent. But brighter days ahead.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

It’s something I’m well aware of and I do my best to keep myself and my family safe.

I found that’s the media are terrible with scaremongering articles, coming from someone who don’t suffer from anxiety (normally) I get more anxious reading tabloid articles which sometimes contradict each other. So I don’t read them know what I need to know and try and keep a positive household for everyone

By *1CorkCouple  over a year ago

Cork

Everything is (/should be) excellent in our lives (for first time in years), but we are definitely affected by the background negativity. We cannot insulate ourselves from the collective anxiety and air of despondency in society, try as we might. It’s a constant topic of conversation which brings a sense of powerlessness and trepidation of sorts - even if it’s over issues that don’t practically effect us directly. There is certainly nothing positive in NPHET and Government overtures and national discourse and that is having an impact on our mental state.

By *ork ClassCouple  over a year ago

Cork

Avoid RTE , they would want to get a grip with their negativity,.

Say out loud, Something wonderful will happen today.

I find November casts a blanket of gloom over me even in a normal year. So ive just learned to lower my expectations of myself and life at this time of year anyway Stay home as much as possible, cook, bake, light the fire, read and watch tv til the light returns.

Hope you are doing ok yourself OP

By *razy-88Man  over a year ago

belfast

Feelin pretty burnt out, been workin 12/14 hour days with no days of for over a month, drinkin most days, loads of painkillers just to get through the days. But I’ve more or less a month off here so will get back to the gym, cut out the other shite and probably take a break from some of the toxicity on here, before doing it all over again!

It’s tough at the moment. Desperate problems with 2 of my children who aren’t coping well with their Mam and dad being separated (3 years now). Work is tough. Wearing a mask all day is really hard. That and me being technically homeless definitely adds up to lots of pressure.

Guys what are people doing to improve their mental health.

What are you doing to release the chemicals in the brain.

Dopamine.

Endorphins.

Serotonin.

Oxytocin.

All suggestions and tips welcome.

"Guys what are people doing to improve their mental health.

Dopamine.

Endorphins.

Serotonin.

Oxytocin.

"

Smiles, sex, chocolate, cuddling the cat, SAD lamp, walking the dog, listening to my favourite music, talking to family and friends - real talk, not text.

By *aint_or_SinnerWoman  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"Guys what are people doing to improve their mental health.

Dopamine.

Endorphins.

Serotonin.

Oxytocin.

Smiles, sex, chocolate, cuddling the cat, SAD lamp, walking the dog, listening to my favourite music, talking to family and friends - real talk, not text."

Second this - minus the cat, I don't have one - just replace those cuddles with my children or my partner

Belfast

I was a carer for 3 different family members and an elderly neighbour from the age of 12 until I was almost 40 and buried all 4 in that time. All while trying to raise 3 children and working 60-70hr weeks.

It broke me completely both physically and mentally. The physical issues took almost a year to heal but the mental issues took just over 9 years.

Those years were full of self reflection and analysis as well as counselling and CBT.

The biggest and only regret I have now is not the 28 years of coping and existing while caring for others but the 9 years I wasted spinning my wheels trying to work out who, what and where I was.

I see people giving advice all the time about reading this book and that article for guidance but my own personal experience is that the only people you are helping by doing that are the authors and publishers.

I started living my life aged 49 when I decided to do rather than talk about doing or reflecting on what I hadn't done or how I would have done it differently.

Life is by no means perfect but at least I know my worth and nothing will ever put a dent in that again.

Get out and do whatever puts a smile on your face and with whoever creates that smile and everything else will follow.

By *ind PaddyMan  over a year ago

South County Dublin

"I was a carer for 3 different family members and an elderly neighbour from the age of 12 until I was almost 40 and buried all 4 in that time. All while trying to raise 3 children and working 60-70hr weeks.

It broke me completely both physically and mentally. The physical issues took almost a year to heal but the mental issues took just over 9 years.

Those years were full of self reflection and analysis as well as counselling and CBT.

The biggest and only regret I have now is not the 28 years of coping and existing while caring for others but the 9 years I wasted spinning my wheels trying to work out who, what and where I was.

I see people giving advice all the time about reading this book and that article for guidance but my own personal experience is that the only people you are helping by doing that are the authors and publishers.

I started living my life aged 49 when I decided to do rather than talk about doing or reflecting on what I hadn't done or how I would have done it differently.

Life is by no means perfect but at least I know my worth and nothing will ever put a dent in that again.

Get out and do whatever puts a smile on your face and with whoever creates that smile and everything else will follow."

I agree with you just have to keep going. Fair play for all the caring work you did

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

Mine wasn’t great there for a few days, I think it was a come down from the excitement of a recent social. But starting to come out of it now.

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"Mine wasn’t great there for a few days, I think it was a come down from the excitement of a recent social. But starting to come out of it now. "

You need another social Ger

cork

"Mine wasn’t great there for a few days, I think it was a come down from the excitement of a recent social. But starting to come out of it now.

You need another social Ger "

Each one gets easier

"Getting out for a walk helps"

Walking is the best thing ever! I swear. It's easy, go at your own pace until you are comfortable with a brisk walk. It releases all the good chemicals, is free, healthy, and makes you feel good about yourself.

Don't make excuses and put it off. START WALKING TODAY

Newry Down

"No different to normal. My dark days and nights are well behind me now and nothing that has happened in the last 20 months has come close. It's just been a blip. That's down to good friendship and self determination. "

You could easily give a masterclass in resilience, fortitude and determination!

By *lameBoyMan  over a year ago

Enfield & Dublin

Burnt out.

Dejected.

Exhaustipated (Too tired to give a shit!).

Finding myself increasingly irritable and snappy.

Absolutely done with Covid and restrictions. Tired of the incessant negativity.

Struggling in work with increased workload and reduced staff and resources.

I need to get back to walking and get out of this slump. Get back to meeting fabbers. Chat with strangers.

This is only temporary I know. Life ebbs and flows constantly.

I’m always here to help if anyone is struggling.

Thanks OP for the post. I hope you are doing well.

By *angtasticallyMan  over a year ago

Drogheda

Everything passes it just about time

By *lose_encounterMan  over a year ago

Cork city

(survivors dark sense of humor) oh. nothing a bath using a powered toaster as a rubber ducky wont cure.

Limerick

"Getting out for a walk helps

Walking is the best thing ever! I swear. It's easy, go at your own pace until you are comfortable with a brisk walk. It releases all the good chemicals, is free, healthy, and makes you feel good about yourself.

Don't make excuses and put it off. START WALKING TODAY"

100%

Just to add to that, BE PRESENT in your walk, look around you, listen to the sounds, touch the branches on the trees, take in the smells. All that matters is what your senses are detecting at that moment.... think about and be grateful for the good things in your life and cry if you want, crying is good

Limerick

"Mine wasn’t great there for a few days, I think it was a come down from the excitement of a recent social. But starting to come out of it now.

Each one gets easier "

For all of us

Belfast

"Getting out for a walk helps

Don't make excuses and put it off. START WALKING TODAY

100%

Just to add to that, BE PRESENT in your walk, look around you, listen to the sounds, touch the branches on the trees, take in the smells. All that matters is what your senses are detecting at that moment.... think about and be grateful for the good things in your life and cry if you want, crying is good "

I'm always amazed at how many people I meet in the hills wearing headphones and on one occasion actually carrying an old style boom box.

They certainly weren't present.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Each one gets easier "

Don't forget a name badge

Limerick

Each one gets easier

Don't forget a name badge "

Or a name mask, Bog-style

cork

Each one gets easier

Don't forget a name badge "

Could I have a name sash instead.

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Each one gets easier

Could I have a name sash instead. "

Not if its in Belfast

cork

Each one gets easier

Could I have a name sash instead.

Not if its in Belfast "

Badges it is so

Newry Down

Mercifully, I do not suffer from any form of organic mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolarity, schizoaffective disorder, etc., for which I am deeply appreciative, daily; but life can be very stressful and to counteract this I walk regularly, talk to as many people as possible during my daily structured routine, and distress by having a hygiene day every week: washing dishes, washing clothes and bedding, enjoying a deep soak bath and taking time to quietly reflect on how life is progressing.

But best of all is walking, and making the effort to connect with other walkers, even those using earphones.

"Burnt out.

Dejected.

Exhaustipated (Too tired to give a shit!).

Finding myself increasingly irritable and snappy.

Absolutely done with Covid and restrictions. Tired of the incessant negativity.

Struggling in work with increased workload and reduced staff and resources.

I need to get back to walking and get out of this slump. Get back to meeting fabbers. Chat with strangers.

This is only temporary I know. Life ebbs and flows constantly.

I’m always here to help if anyone is struggling.

Thanks OP for the post. I hope you are doing well. "

» Add a new message to this topic