FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Subjects you did in school as a kid

Subjects you did in school as a kid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asual777 OP   Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

From the lounge

my school years were a mixture of torture early on then delight .

My least favourite subject was PE. The changing room , the not being great at sport , torture. And yet I love 5 a side soccer now in a way I did not as a child .

My favourite subject was chemistry. The infinite number of compounds one can make . The wonder of solutions turning different colours when you add new elements . Oh and a teacher who ate breathed and slept the subject .

Least liked and most liked subjects for you ? How did you find school ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Loved science. Getting to mix stuff and chemical reactions.

I too hated sport and exercise in school and ironically now I'm a qualified PT

I loved Home Economics, I had a passionate teacher and it has really stood to me as regards cooking, budgeting, cleaning etc

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

Hated science and French.

Loved math, art, history and mechanical drawing.

By *ottie00Woman  over a year ago

Dublin

I loved chemistry too, only because I was constantly blowing things up Loved art and thankful for my great teachers, steered me in the right direction and later qualified in interior design and jewelry design

By *OCONO5Couple  over a year ago

Sensual Center

Hated school ...got involved in anything sport wise to make sure I spent as little time in the class room

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Hated school cause of the beatings and abuse melted out and I was never diagnosed with dyslexia till after college

Gave up latin,french,Irish for my inter cert

English is like a foreign language to me to be honest...I couldn't tell you even what a noun is

Loved science,maths,

Lot of anger in me towards my schooling to be honest

Favourite subjects were maths, Irish and biology

Hated English, the way every sentence of a literary work is deconstructed to death takes all the pleasure out of reading IMO

I hated PE, then, as now, it was all about winning, not taking part. Certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to simply do exercise for fun.

i travel all over

"Hated school cause of the beatings and abuse melted out and I was never diagnosed with dyslexia till after college

Gave up latin,french,Irish for my inter cert

English is like a foreign language to me to be honest...I couldn't tell you even what a noun is

Loved science,maths,

Lot of anger in me towards my schooling to be honest "

Sorry to hear

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"I hated PE, then, as now, it was all about winning, not taking part. Certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to simply do exercise for fun. "

The problem is that PE more or less equals Gaelic games in Ireland. If you're not into that, PE becomes a painful subject and it messes up the drive to do physical exercise for many young people.

I loved sport in school (obviously completely different from what it's here) and back then I was rather competitive.

"I hated PE, then, as now, it was all about winning, not taking part. Certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to simply do exercise for fun.

The problem is that PE more or less equals Gaelic games in Ireland. If you're not into that, PE becomes a painful subject and it messes up the drive to do physical exercise for many young people.

I loved sport in school (obviously completely different from what it's here) and back then I was rather competitive. "

My convent school didn't participate in GAA, basketball and volleyball were apparently deemed more suitable for young ladies, it was still all about the winning though, and I've never seen the appeal - so what is my reaction

By *organ DeanWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

I hated Religion, I had the same teacher for 5 years and she did not welcome questions and I question everything.

My favourite subject was Spanish, I loved how the words felt when I said them. My favourite word since 2nd year learning the name of fruits is melocotón.

Fav word in English is cunt

on the hill NordWest of

"I hated PE, then, as now, it was all about winning, not taking part. Certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to simply do exercise for fun.

I loved sport in school (obviously completely different from what it's here) and back then I was rather competitive.

My convent school didn't participate in GAA, basketball and volleyball were apparently deemed more suitable for young ladies, it was still all about the winning though, and I've never seen the appeal - so what is my reaction "

Was there any gymnastics, athletics, orienteering, fitness, swimming etc. or just Basketball and Volleyball?

My least favourite were physics and maths. I don't have a maths brain

Latin was my favourite subject by a long chalk but I also loved biology, English and German. Really enjoyed sport also - I won the house shield for athletics and continued to play netball competitively until my early thirties.

My convent school didn't participate in GAA, basketball and volleyball were apparently deemed more suitable for young ladies, it was still all about the winning though, and I've never seen the appeal - so what is my reaction

Was there any gymnastics, athletics, orienteering, fitness, swimming etc. or just Basketball and Volleyball? "

Haha you're kidding right?

For a certain generation it was about making it through those years, it was a time when Teachers were demi gods with the Black & Blues.

Where I went, corporal punishment was part of the fixtures and both physical and mental damage inflicted

My likes were Irish, History and Latin, Where are we if we can't understand how we got here

By *oungstud500Man  over a year ago

dublin

Loved woodwork, pe and but I’d say lunch was my favourite subject

on the hill NordWest of

My chosen leaving cert subjects were physics, history and sport, love them, never regretted the choice.

My struggle topics were Latin and chemistry, probably also because I didn't get on with the teachers.

By *andyman.snrMan  over a year ago

leixlip

sent to do home economics after cutting a lads bag in half in metal work, ended up loving it , me and 20 girls

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

I loved school, I was very fortunate to attend a very progressive mixed school that encouraged you in everything you did.

Sport was huge, swimming, athletics, soccer, rugby, GAA, karate, badminton, tennis

You name it we did it

Academically I loved History, Geography, tech drawing, construction studies and Business org.

If I could do it all again I would in a heartbeat

By *ateniteCouple  over a year ago

Youghal

Absolutely hated school and the teachers, and unfortunately still push some of that attitude on my kids which I get checked for by other family members.

Rarely attended school in the leaving cert years. I needed maths and physics for my chosen career path so attended those classes and made an effort. The rest of time I stayed home (both parents worked) and was able intercept letters from the school.

I now have quite a successful career that stemmed out of my early career path so that, at times, compounds my belief that the school system needs a massive overhaul.

Didn't go to university until more recently but even had issue with that - getting marked down in essays for not using correct citing rather than being marked up for the actual content of the essay. Being told that I had to cite everything even though some of the points made in essays were based on personal experience and told I can't cite myself.

Homework is a massive issue for me, the kids spend all day in school then are expected to sit for another couple of hours at home stressing out themselves and parents. If it can't be covered in school hours don't push it onto the parents.

Sorry, rant over. I seem to have an issue with the education system, maybe I need to speak to someone

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

I honestly went to school for the social side, maths went over my head and was good funnily at English. Do I regret it kind of .

I was fortunate enough to get a good Job at 18, honestly how I got it is beyond me now. But I talked a good talk and had full training in my job and really knuckled down. Which proves I could of done well in school...

Hated maths and English. Like a previous poster I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia or dyscalculia till much later in life. Loved history. Learning how we got to this stage as a society. My school was spilt into two groups. The academics ( school got money for every student that did well ) and the athletes ( school got money for every trophy we won) those that fell in between were just sort of ignored.

By *eginaGWoman  over a year ago

D8

Loved English, Spanish, History, Art, Music

Hated Accountancy, Business

Wish I applied myself more in Irish

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

How did I find it?

I kirsty got off the bus and there it was,every single day, always in the exact same place.

Favourite subjects.. Ag science, history, technical drawing followed by building construction and English.

Least favourite of all had to be CD although it didn't feature in the leaving cert.

By *andyman.snrMan  over a year ago

leixlip

"Absolutely hated school and the teachers, and unfortunately still push some of that attitude on my kids which I get checked for by other family members.

Rarely attended school in the leaving cert years. I needed maths and physics for my chosen career path so attended those classes and made an effort. The rest of time I stayed home (both parents worked) and was able intercept letters from the school.

I now have quite a successful career that stemmed out of my early career path so that, at times, compounds my belief that the school system needs a massive overhaul.

Didn't go to university until more recently but even had issue with that - getting marked down in essays for not using correct citing rather than being marked up for the actual content of the essay. Being told that I had to cite everything even though some of the points made in essays were based on personal experience and told I can't cite myself.

Homework is a massive issue for me, the kids spend all day in school then are expected to sit for another couple of hours at home stressing out themselves and parents. If it can't be covered in school hours don't push it onto the parents.

Sorry, rant over. I seem to have an issue with the education system, maybe I need to speak to someone "

Everyone finds their way, and makes a life. But we can only say that after a good level of education,and a good level of that around those growing up.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

I hated secondary school. It was brutal, beatings and humiliation.

I could never figure out geometry, and got punished fof it.

I excelled at languages, and still remember the intricasies of irish grammar. I loved French and Spanish,.. We had a very beautiful young Spanish nun who came in once a week, and i was struck by how different she was from our male teachers. I learned to swim in school, and did well in geography as i thought maps were beautiful and told a story. One of the best days of my life was my last day in school.

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"Absolutely hated school and the teachers, and unfortunately still push some of that attitude on my kids which I get checked for by other family members.

Sorry, rant over. I seem to have an issue with the education system, maybe I need to speak to someone "

I'm so with you on the overhaul in the education system!

Having an autistic/dyspraxic daughter in mainstream secondary school, who absolutely despises every aspect from the social, to the physical/sporty right through to any academia!!! I hated school too and my heart bleeds for her. I would so love to homeschool but unfortunately I'd need her dad to be on board...

I hated school, I attended 6 different schools (primary and secondary) with various moves and events in my early life. I was always "different", having to learn a new language initially, and never able to make friends. The various moves didn't help either.

I was glad to see the back of school, yet I did 4 different qualifications over the course of my adulthood and enjoyed these courses thoroughly.

Lucan

"I hated secondary school. It was brutal, beatings and humiliation.

I excelled at languages, and still remember the intricasies of irish grammar. I loved French and Spanish,.. We had a very beautiful young Spanish nun who came in once a week, and i was struck by how different she was from our male teachers. I learned to swim in school, and did well in geography as i thought maps were beautiful and told a story. One of the best days of my life was my last day in school. "

Did you get to see her naked?

By *ara198Woman  over a year ago

maynooth

Difficult reading some of this, but not surprised either. I loved school in general(although it was far from perfect and I was classed as an average student by teachers) from a working class background and a family that didn't value education, and I now work in education. I try to be transformative and listen to student voice as a priority. It is so complex to have 900 kids in a building all different learning styles and needs and have 50 class rooms( and limited green space) and 80 teachers, some excellent some terrible like every workplace , there is such change and diversity now. I hope things will continue to change and move forward. I am eternally positive and hopeful. That's all we can be. Also we have to make the best of situations and also speak up to schools and around educational change.

By *lashamMan  over a year ago

kildare

Got on the bus to goto school , did not make it most of the time , the convent and grammar schools which I did not go to seemed way nicer cos of girls that attended but collage was a hole other story xxxx

Done Technical Graphics and Tech Drawing and loved it, didn’t enjoy anything else.

i travel all over

I excelled at languages, and still remember the intricasies of irish grammar. I loved French and Spanish,.. We had a very beautiful young Spanish nun who came in once a week, and i was struck by how different she was from our male teachers. I learned to swim in school, and did well in geography as i thought maps were beautiful and told a story. One of the best days of my life was my last day in school. "

Sorry to Hear

Youghal

Sorry, rant over. I seem to have an issue with the education system, maybe I need to speak to someone

I'm so with you on the overhaul in the education system!

Having an autistic/dyspraxic daughter in mainstream secondary school, who absolutely despises every aspect from the social, to the physical/sporty right through to any academia!!! I hated school too and my heart bleeds for her. I would so love to homeschool but unfortunately I'd need her dad to be on board...

I hated school, I attended 6 different schools (primary and secondary) with various moves and events in my early life. I was always "different", having to learn a new language initially, and never able to make friends. The various moves didn't help either.

I was glad to see the back of school, yet I did 4 different qualifications over the course of my adulthood and enjoyed these courses thoroughly. "

Yep, my teenage son is dyspraxic in mainstream secondary. Coping well for the most part but the school doesn't make it easy. Its a constant battle with the teachers and headmaster to do make the smallest adjustments to accommodate him. I get that they have other students to worry about too but it's not like we've been asking for 1 to 1 tuition. Normally you get "well if we did that for everybody"

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

I was good at most of my subjects bar maths which was heavy going not helped by a narcissistic parent who insisted i pursue honours level even though i was barely passing. The last two years of secondary i played nearly every sport i could to get out of school to get away from the bullying. I hope our eldest will have a far better experience and given some of the stories ive heard from other parents ive decided once our youngest is finished preschool i will be home schooling her as i have no desire to have her lost in the mainstream system unable to cope.

By *Whiskey Guy 2.0Man  over a year ago

Ballynaughty

Woodwork, Metalwork, & history were my favourite.

Hate arts, Maths, religion,

Finish school with LCA...

Dublin

"I'm so with you on the overhaul in the education system!

I was glad to see the back of school, yet I did 4 different qualifications over the course of my adulthood and enjoyed these courses thoroughly.

Yep, my teenage son is dyspraxic in mainstream secondary. Coping well for the most part but the school doesn't make it easy. Its a constant battle with the teachers and headmaster to do make the smallest adjustments to accommodate him. I get that they have other students to worry about too but it's not like we've been asking for 1 to 1 tuition. Normally you get "well if we did that for everybody" "

I'm sorry to hear that your son's teachers aren't more understanding and accommodating.

I nearly consider myself "lucky" to have the additional diagnosis of autism which gives her access to the autism unit and a special needs assistant. There isn't a week goes by with some communication from the school, something going wrong, needing addressing that sends everyone's stress levels sky rocketing...she's home early today again and it's not the first time this week!

I know that they can't teach one on one but I do believe that where a particular diagnosis is communicated to the school, adjustments can be made for individual students, especially as you can rest assured that your son isn't the only dispraxic child in the class...

But unfortunately I also get the feeling that very few teachers are actually schooled, instructed and prepared in how to deal with these diagnoses. Considering the number of special needs students in mainstream school, I think that needs serious addressing!

Some of the stuff our special needs assistant has done, and God love her, she's absolutely lovely with my daughter, but it makes my blood boil...

But I don't want to distract from the original post... biology was one of my favourite subjects for the latter 2 years of school

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

I excelled at languages, and still remember the intricasies of irish grammar. I loved French and Spanish,.. We had a very beautiful young Spanish nun who came in once a week, and i was struck by how different she was from our male teachers. I learned to swim in school, and did well in geography as i thought maps were beautiful and told a story. One of the best days of my life was my last day in school.

Did you get to see her naked? "

I dont want to hijack the thread!!

By *ymboMan  over a year ago

here and there.

Sad to hear of the difficulties some had in school. Back in the day dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, ADHD, etc. Weren't diagnosed or measures put in place to help unless by perceptive teachers and parents who might have pushed their kids cases but often parents went with whatever was the norm at the time. Corporal punishment seems like something from 1800s rather than 1970s when I think it was abolished.

But to answer: liked school ... Secondary more than primary... Favourite subjects were Biology, Chemistry, French ... Least favourites were History and Irish altho good at the latter. And poor enough at sports altho tall and strong.

Would you go back again folks? I would.

i travel all over

Academically I was a straight A student but bullying made it a very unpleasant experience at times until I hit about 16/17

By *londy84Man  over a year ago

Carrickmacross

Girls

Lucan

I dont want to hijack the thread!! "

We need to know!

i travel all over

We need to know! "

Hijack away

Lucan

We need to know!

Hijack away "

OK, there's the approval we needed.

My jocks are round my ankles and my lad is on my hand. All we need now are the saucy details! Oooo, naughty nuns used to be my go to fantasy in secondary school!

#nostalgia

#nostalgicwanksarethebestwanks

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

Technical drawing. Such a bullshit subject. I got an F lol

By *inaandterryCouple  over a year ago

Westmeath

Loved art and drama, sadly both were not included in the GCSE cycle the school preferring to push for more acedemic qualifications.

I'm now an art/Drama teacher so (sticks his tongue out an blows a raspberry).

Lucan

"Technical drawing. Such a bullshit subject. I got an F lol"

How is it a bullshit subject?

Dublin

"Sad to hear of the difficulties some had in school. Back in the day dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, ADHD, etc. Weren't diagnosed or measures put in place to help unless by perceptive teachers and parents who might have pushed their kids cases but often parents went with whatever was the norm at the time. Corporal punishment seems like something from 1800s rather than 1970s when I think it was abolished.

But to answer: liked school ... Secondary more than primary... Favourite subjects were Biology, Chemistry, French ... Least favourites were History and Irish altho good at the latter. And poor enough at sports altho tall and strong.

Would you go back again folks? I would. "

Only if I knew then what I know now, otherwise definitely not

Youghal

Sorry OP, went on a few rants there. For the times I did go to class I enjoyed German. Have recently taken to try and learn it again through Audible and chatting with my German work colleagues.

Italian is next on the list.

i travel all over

"Sorry OP, went on a few rants there. For the times I did go to class I enjoyed German. Have recently taken to try and learn it again through Audible and chatting with my German work colleagues.

Italian is next on the list."

All good

Yes an overhaul probably good

But tbh I think if the parents have a positive attitude to homework it can help

If it has to be done , there is nothing worse than an unwilling child and an ambivalent adult . Let’s get the fucker over and done with then get on with our day

By *eadbobbingMan  over a year ago

Nass

Didn't get on well at all in school, I needed coloured irlen lenses for reading, that helped thicken up my skin, teachers didn't help. Art teacher in 5th year told me I was more autistic than artistic, thanks miss ?? geography was my favourite.

By *parks20Man  over a year ago

Cork city

Hated school found it very hard to learn through a book. Favorite subjects were technical drawing and engineering(metalwork) done both higher level in the leaving got a1 in both got 355 points in total

Loved maths and hated Latin.

By *ettaManMan  over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

I coasted in school. I dodged the science subjects bcos they were too much work. Jokes on me though bcos now I've developed an interest in physics.

By *ettaManMan  over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

"For the times I did go to class I enjoyed German. Have recently taken to try and learn it again through Audible and chatting with my German work colleagues.

"

Ja geil!

If you can find a book - like a novel or something - that is around your level, or slightly higher, it's a great way to learn the grammar subconsciously.

When you see the sentence structures mover and over it sticks with you.

It might work with audiobooks, but no harm to include reading as well

By *anKinkyMan  over a year ago

Carrick on Shannon

S school ,hated it, Subjects ?? we were by the teacher!! sure he enjoyed

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Primary school was good for the most part, but secondary school was truly awful.

There was an uncontained pervasive culture of lateral bullying between students and downward bullying by teachers, many of whom appeared to hate their so-called vocations.

Management of the school was abysmal and the daily task was simply to survive.

I learned almost nothing at secondary school despite being unusually intelligent and creative.

On reflection, I should have left at the earliest opportunity and become an autodidact, which I have been doing now for over twenty years, which is very enjoyable, rewarding and enriching.

Autodidactic education, that is teaching oneself, requires discipline and commitment, and a deep resolve to self-betterment, for life.

It is a difficult path that is not for everyone!

I loved all activities always throughout primary abs secondary. Maths and Irish big no no both least favourite, i enjoyed history, Art, and home economics. I disliked a drama teacher and her mother in primary school her mother slapped me over just asking a significant question before going on stage. In secondary the school it had to be the science teacher because he actually just left us do what we wanted instead of sending us to the principals office for being naughty girls lol. And so the moral if that story is we failed science in junior cert lol. Luckily i got to make up for it though.

Favourite subjects would have been history and music. Least favourite subjects were English and Technology. Everything else in the middle varied depending on how the teacher was that day lol

"Loved art and drama, sadly both were not included in the GCSE cycle the school preferring to push for more acedemic qualifications.

I'm now an art/Drama teacher so (sticks his tongue out an blows a raspberry). "

I loved drama. Could only do it for a level in a different school as a subject. Loved it so much even went on and got a degree in it! Had high ambitions to be an actor. That went well lol

"Sad to hear of the difficulties some had in school. Back in the day dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, ADHD, etc. Weren't diagnosed or measures put in place to help unless by perceptive teachers and parents who might have pushed their kids cases but often parents went with whatever was the norm at the time. Corporal punishment seems like something from 1800s rather than 1970s when I think it was abolished.

Would you go back again folks? I would. "

I’m still waiting to be diagnosed with autism. I was hopeless at essay writing or giving long answers as I could never round things up and make the vital point which I think brought me down.

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

I hated school the whole 18yrs i was there i was badly bullied and was a slow learner the only time i did enjoy it was my 2 yrs i did at tech because i eas studying for something that has got me into the job i do now i did enjoy english i love reading

» Add a new message to this topic