FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > GAA County Players Regrets

GAA County Players Regrets

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I wonder do GAA county players regret sacrificing their education, careers, relationships for the sake of ten years playing with no pay. When their playing careers are over and the pains and injuries are still there, but no supporters or county panel blowing hot air up them. Once you’re done you are no good to the GAA

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I wonder do GAA county players regret sacrificing their education, careers, relationships for the sake of ten years playing with no pay. When their playing careers are over and the pains and injuries are still there, but no supporters or county panel blowing hot air up them. Once you’re done you are no good to the GAA "

You really don't like the GAA

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

A lot of them end up in excellent careers as a result of their proven work ethic, teamworking skills, commitment and perseverance.

"I wonder do GAA county players regret sacrificing their education, careers, relationships for the sake of ten years playing with no pay. When their playing careers are over and the pains and injuries are still there, but no supporters or county panel blowing hot air up them. Once you’re done you are no good to the GAA

You really don't like the GAA "

I just think it’s unfair to expect the players who generate most of the income for the GAA to be left with nothing but injuries when they retire. They GAA want you in your prime but once you’re surplus to requirements you are out the gate

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Some might but the majority don't. I know guys who played county football until their late 30's and for their clubs until mid 40's before getting involved in coaching and management so I can't see them having any regrets.

"A lot of them end up in excellent careers as a result of their proven work ethic, teamworking skills, commitment and perseverance. "

Proven work ethic? Most of them sacrifice their college course an opt for teaching because of the holidays and short days to allow them to play GAA. Then in their mid 30’s all that is gone and they end up in jobs they never would have wanted unless they were playing GAA

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

"A lot of them end up in excellent careers as a result of their proven work ethic, teamworking skills, commitment and perseverance.

Proven work ethic? Most of them sacrifice their college course an opt for teaching because of the holidays and short days to allow them to play GAA. Then in their mid 30’s all that is gone and they end up in jobs they never would have wanted unless they were playing GAA"

You haven't been paying much attention, just echoing tired old tropes. Maybe have a look at the careers of some recently retired Mayo Footballers as an example!

"A lot of them end up in excellent careers as a result of their proven work ethic, teamworking skills, commitment and perseverance. "

not to mention the networking and connections made

"I wonder do GAA county players regret sacrificing their education, careers, relationships for the sake of ten years playing with no pay. When their playing careers are over and the pains and injuries are still there, but no supporters or county panel blowing hot air up them. Once you’re done you are no good to the GAA

You really don't like the GAA

I just think it’s unfair to expect the players who generate most of the income for the GAA to be left with nothing but injuries when they retire. They GAA want you in your prime but once you’re surplus to requirements you are out the gate"

And how are the GAA different to any other sport. I played Soccer for years. Helped the clubs I played for win trophies and grow as a club but as soon as I hit my early 30's they didn't want to know. Also I hurt my knee playing training for soccer and the club wouldn't except responsibility. My local GAA club ( which I wasn't a member of at the time ) said I could come down to the clubhouse and use their physio. All because my father and uncle were part of the only team to have won a county title.

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

well looked after in the community by employers and sponsors.

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

"Some might but the majority don't. I know guys who played county football until their late 30's and for their clubs until mid 40's before getting involved in coaching and management so I can't see them having any regrets. "

Exactly, I don't see anyone regretting doing something they love doing.

Belfast

Talking to 3 lads last night. Two of them are mid 20s and they said they love the craic and focus of the training sessions. Local clubs are flexible and allowing them to train an hour earlier or later to fit in around work and family.

The third guy was 32 and gave up playing when he was 25 because of family commitments but he is starting back next week because he missed it all.

It was his choice to go back.

"A lot of them end up in excellent careers as a result of their proven work ethic, teamworking skills, commitment and perseverance.

Proven work ethic? Most of them sacrifice their college course an opt for teaching because of the holidays and short days to allow them to play GAA. Then in their mid 30’s all that is gone and they end up in jobs they never would have wanted unless they were playing GAA

You haven't been paying much attention, just echoing tired old tropes. Maybe have a look at the careers of some recently retired Mayo Footballers as an example!"

Mayo yeah… what about the weaker counties ?

Very few are looked after well in retirement. Maybe the few at the very top. What about the squad members from weaker counties ?

Lucan

Proven work ethic? Most of them sacrifice their college course an opt for teaching because of the holidays and short days to allow them to play GAA. Then in their mid 30’s all that is gone and they end up in jobs they never would have wanted unless they were playing GAA"

That's nonsense. A huge proportion of current inter county players have been through third level education.

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

You haven't been paying much attention, just echoing tired old tropes. Maybe have a look at the careers of some recently retired Mayo Footballers as an example!

Mayo yeah… what about the weaker counties ?"

Like Carlow?

Belfast

Graham Taylor used the GAA as an example of commitment, work ethic and dedication when he was trying to motivate his teams. He made Watford watch a hurling match and asked them to describe what they saw in one word.

They all said things like, fast, crazy, nuts etc etc and he told them they all missed the one word he was looking for." Unpaid"

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

"Very few are looked after well in retirement. Maybe the few at the very top. What about the squad members from weaker counties ?

"

Someone will give an example an you'll be back with "Ya but what about the uncle of a brother of a weaker County squad member, what did he get"

Like Carlow? "

They get looked after.

By *OCONO5Couple  over a year ago

Sensual Center

[Removed by poster at 21/01/22 10:25:53]

That's nonsense. A huge proportion of current inter county players have been through third level education. "

Yes but most are school teachers

"Graham Taylor used the GAA as an example of commitment, work ethic and dedication when he was trying to motivate his teams. He made Watford watch a hurling match and asked them to describe what they saw in one word.

They all said things like, fast, crazy, nuts etc etc and he told them they all missed the one word he was looking for." Unpaid""

Game has changed since Graham Taylor managed

It’s as good as professional now

Lucan

That's nonsense. A huge proportion of current inter county players have been through third level education.

Yes but most are school teachers "

I think that's politicians you're thinking of.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

If young folk are backing off from getting educated to prioritise a ball game that they know won't ever earn them an income then that's pretty silly of them.

Belfast

I know about 20 former county players. Only 2 are teachers, 10 or 12 run their own businesses and the rest are mechanics, electricians and bar managers.

Lucan

By the way, schoolteachers have to do four years in college. You're contradicting yourself again.

"If young folk are backing off from getting educated to prioritise a ball game that they know won't ever earn them an income then that's pretty silly of them. "

They aren't. In fact a lot of colleges and universities are trying to get this young men and women to come play for them and are giving incentives for them to choose playing for that institution. All under the table of course.

Belfast

"Graham Taylor used the GAA as an example of commitment, work ethic and dedication when he was trying to motivate his teams. He made Watford watch a hurling match and asked them to describe what they saw in one word.

They all said things like, fast, crazy, nuts etc etc and he told them they all missed the one word he was looking for." Unpaid"

Game has changed since Graham Taylor managed

It’s as good as professional now"

It's that level of dedication and commitment as amateurs that draw the crowds in. Fans appreciate that and turn out to support them because it's done for the love of the game.

I know families that have 2 or 3 generations of county players who have a family tradition of cycling to Croke Park on finals day every year from Down and Tyrone regardless of who is playing.

I'm sure they don't have regrets over their dedication to the GAA as former players.

By *ewbiroshMan  over a year ago

Dublin 22

Skills learned like Determination, decision making, healthy lifestyle and obviously drive to succeed are transferred to work solely and massive will to succeed and move up ladder quickly as possible or succeed whatever the chosen careers:

Probably the more recent years player no longer can sneak out for a night with it recorded and in media light.

So stay well best behaved and might be smitten of friends boasts of nights out woman. And Same applies to the woman they give up and train as much ..

One precious memory be it Or province is proudly kept as reward unless it’s Kerry whom don’t count Munster and Mayo who most years don’t like the provincial final or All ireland.

Banter the last line wish Mayo break that line after great teams and days out

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man  over a year ago

Belfast, Dublin

Not many accountants, electricians, school teachers etc get the chance the run out in front of 80,000 people

Some players might even love the game

By *alway19Man  over a year ago

galway/ Westmeath

There certainly are players out there with regrets. With that been said what helps you develop as an individual and as a team player is fantastic. As previously said, the attributes that help determine the type of man you become, come from the beautiful game. The GAA has seen many turned boys into men, girls into women, the shy child into a leader on the pitch and encouraged many that taking a risk certainly can pay off. The competitiveness of the game encourage people to never give up on their dreams and children look up to their heroes everyday especially in the modern era of TV broadcasts and social media.

A national treasure. Something we all should be proud of.

By *onderingpurposeMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I learnt more from playing sport at a decent level than any work experience or training course I ever did.

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 21/01/22 11:33:18]

East / North, Cork

"Not many accountants, electricians, school teachers etc get the chance the run out in front of 80,000 people

Some players might even love the game"

80,000 tickets sold and the players don't get paid. That's mugs game.

By *oungstud500Man  over a year ago

dublin

Having played county all the way up underage and still playing senior club level now I would say the worst part of it now is missing parties, travel opportunities etc but then again I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t love it and would do it all over again if it came to it

Ah no, sure they get to take away a massive ego and a false sense of celebrity in they’re little town

"Ah no, sure they get to take away a massive ego and a false sense of celebrity in they’re little town "

Walking around thinking they are PL stars

"Not many accountants, electricians, school teachers etc get the chance the run out in front of 80,000 people

Some players might even love the game

80,000 tickets sold and the players don't get paid. That's mugs game. "

Preforming monkeys for the organ donor is all they are

"There certainly are players out there with regrets. With that been said what helps you develop as an individual and as a team player is fantastic. As previously said, the attributes that help determine the type of man you become, come from the beautiful game. The GAA has seen many turned boys into men, girls into women, the shy child into a leader on the pitch and encouraged many that taking a risk certainly can pay off. The competitiveness of the game encourage people to never give up on their dreams and children look up to their heroes everyday especially in the modern era of TV broadcasts and social media.

A national treasure. Something we all should be proud of. "

Every other sport can do the same

By *onnrodMan  over a year ago

moira

This is all assuming that the players start playing with a clear aim to represent their county at the highest level of the sport.

But no-one does that. The vast majority of players of amateur sport, in fact any sport, start young and enjoy the time spent with friends, the team work, learning new skills and and feeling the thrill and sense of achievement when they get to put them into use.

As they get older the love for the game either grows, in which the increasing commitment to the game is less of a burden as they get something else out of it apart from money, or it doesnt, in which case they quit.

Painting them as dancing monkeys for a stingy master at the highest level is such bullshit and just looks like a petty dislike of an organisation that has the best youth recruiting program of any sport ive seen. It also makes little of the time and effort the players willing put in to play the sport they love and excel at.

I have no affiliation to the GAA, I've never played any gaelic sport as I have a background in rugby and basketball but i know that amateur sport is driven by enthusiasm and love for the game at the grass roots level and not by the promise of rewards. The organisation will reap the benefits yes (just look at the money spent on the Aviva stadium and the 4 provincial rugby grounds in the last 10 years) but dont view the whole sport and its participants as merely a cash cow for the people at the top.

moira

Some of the comments here make it sound like a couple of gaelic players got off with the girls the commenters fancied at the time...

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I love the GAA.....I played as a kid growing up

I still say hello to men that were on my team in the 70's as kids

One in particular went onto be a premier league player and a top striker for Ireland and he still goes to county matches.

He never felt like a monkey in croke park playing for his GAA team and enjoyed it just as much as playing at Wembley or any ground in England or across the world

We've discussed this very thing in group chats

By *oungstud500Man  over a year ago

dublin

"This is all assuming that the players start playing with a clear aim to represent their county at the highest level of the sport.

But no-one does that. The vast majority of players of amateur sport, in fact any sport, start young and enjoy the time spent with friends, the team work, learning new skills and and feeling the thrill and sense of achievement when they get to put them into use.

As they get older the love for the game either grows, in which the increasing commitment to the game is less of a burden as they get something else out of it apart from money, or it doesnt, in which case they quit.

Painting them as dancing monkeys for a stingy master at the highest level is such bullshit and just looks like a petty dislike of an organisation that has the best youth recruiting program of any sport ive seen. It also makes little of the time and effort the players willing put in to play the sport they love and excel at.

I have no affiliation to the GAA, I've never played any gaelic sport as I have a background in rugby and basketball but i know that amateur sport is driven by enthusiasm and love for the game at the grass roots level and not by the promise of rewards. The organisation will reap the benefits yes (just look at the money spent on the Aviva stadium and the 4 provincial rugby grounds in the last 10 years) but dont view the whole sport and its participants as merely a cash cow for the people at the top. "

This is bang on well said

By *uckoldDesiresMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Or through token jobs provided to them by firms with a GAA leaning

I did it cos i loved it,have a great job and i still work in my club,made great friends for life.

"I love the GAA.....I played as a kid growing up

One in particular went onto be a premier league player and a top striker for Ireland and he still goes to county matches.

He never felt like a monkey in croke park playing for his GAA team and enjoyed it just as much as playing at Wembley or any ground in England or across the world

"

Big difference in the GAA in 70’s to the near professional Dublin team today

Take off the rose tinted glasses

I bet summers were hotter back then too

somewhere

I bet summers were hotter back then too"

Always had a few bob in the arse pocket too

Lucan

I bet summers were hotter back then too"

To be fair now, the summer of '76 was an exceptional one.

I'm guessing you didn't make the county panel?

I'm guessing you didn't make the county panel? "

Best silage cut in years !!

Have never played bogball, but have played other sports to a very high level so I’ve no doubt I would have played it had I opted to play Bogball

Lucan

Have never played bogball, but have played other sports to a very high level so I’ve no doubt I would have played it had I opted to play Bogball "

Johnny Giles, is that you?

The silage crop that year was particularly bad that year due to the prolonged drought.

Meh, your trolling is just too obvious now. You need to be a bit more subtle if you want this to work.

Belfast

Have never played bogball, but have played other sports to a very high level so I’ve no doubt I would have played it had I opted to play Bogball

Johnny Giles, is that you?

The silage crop that year was particularly bad that year due to the prolonged drought.

Meh, your trolling is just too obvious now. You need to be a bit more subtle if you want this to work. "

Echoes of Saipan right here

East / North, Cork

"I did it cos i loved it,have a great job and i still work in my club,made great friends for life."

When you say you work there... do you mean you volunteer your time for free... or do they pay you?

Is it different to any other sport/hobby that people have though?

In my particular field, I played at elite level til the early 2000s. I gave hours and hours every weekday. Every Saturday during the competition season. Everything I did had to fit round the season...working, holidays, time spent with friends and family. I was wracked with nerves every time I competed or performed yet still I gave 25 years to it. 14 years away and I missed it every single day, and as soon as I moved back here I got involved again. I'm playing at grass roots level now and also tutor & mentor youngsters who are just starting out. The World Championships draws tens of thousands of spectators over the two days the competition takes place - many thousands more in the week in the run up for festivals, open workshops and performances - and makes a huge amount of money for both the host city and the governing body. Yet every single one of us does what we do voluntarily and with no payment. We pretty much devote a huge portion of our lives to what we do because we love it and the camaraderie is second to none.

"I did it cos i loved it,have a great job and i still work in my club,made great friends for life.

When you say you work there... do you mean you volunteer your time for free... or do they pay you?"

I volunteer,help out in anyway i can.

Like Carlow? "

The Carlow lads must be hard up. Heard a story today about 2 lads trying to collect a pension. I'm hoping it's an early April fools story

By *s LollyWoman  over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Like Carlow?

The Carlow lads must be hard up. Heard a story today about 2 lads trying to collect a pension. I'm hoping it's an early April fools story"

No that's true

Like Carlow?

The Carlow lads must be hard up. Heard a story today about 2 lads trying to collect a pension. I'm hoping it's an early April fools story

No that's true "

Ah lad!!!! What were they thinking

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

at least those fucking stupid water breaks are going.

Worth every second/sacrifice

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Have never played bogball, but have played other sports to a very high level so I’ve no doubt I would have played it had I opted to play Bogball "

you really know sweet f all about GAA do you. You wouldn't have the balls to stand out in a gaelic football pitch let alone a hurling pitch.

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

U train to play to win

And hopefully u will have a medal at the end of the season . It will be something to prove u wear alive for that year

GAA forever

By *imascbottomMan  over a year ago

dublin Laois

Lots get university places so they can be on uni GAA teams. Look how many inter county players went to DCU etc

Home

"Lots get university places so they can be on uni GAA teams. Look how many inter county players went to DCU etc"
sigerson cup and fitzgibbon cup are probably the hardest competition to win after intercounty because there are so many intercounty players on the teams but if the OP knew anything about GAA he would have known that instead of talking absolute shite.

By *he wanerding bullMan  over a year ago

cavan

You really don't like the GAA "

Some County lad must have been poking his lady on the sly.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Has anyone posted...."when I was playing"

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan  over a year ago

newcastle

I know plenty of ex county players and the only ones with any regrets are the ones that didnt put more effort in. The GAA has plenty of problems but it is still a fantastic institution and one that does great work in the community.

Home

"I know plenty of ex county players and the only ones with any regrets are the ones that didnt put more effort in. The GAA has plenty of problems but it is still a fantastic institution and one that does great work in the community."
i guarantee he's a soccer boy they all complain about the gaa when they're own sport is a shambles

"I wonder do GAA county players regret sacrificing their education, careers, relationships for the sake of ten years playing with no pay. When their playing careers are over and the pains and injuries are still there, but no supporters or county panel blowing hot air up them. Once you’re done you are no good to the GAA "

No. Often their careers are founded on their GAA success, and most modern intercounty GAA players have gone through Sigerson or other 3rd level competition, so their education hasn't suffered.

And if you think they aren't payed, I have a bridge you might wish to buy.

You are just showing yourself to appear to be a bitter opinionated cranky man. Get out in the fresh air, start cold water swimming,try to stop making negative posts and comments, and hopefully that may help you to be happier and more understanding of others.

"I know plenty of ex county players and the only ones with any regrets are the ones that didnt put more effort in. The GAA has plenty of problems but it is still a fantastic institution and one that does great work in the community.i guarantee he's a soccer boy they all complain about the gaa when they're own sport is a shambles "

Hey there now I'm a soccer man and I've no problem with the GAA. Don't be tarring us all with the same brush

Not a soccer boy try again

Home

"Not a soccer boy try again

"

there's a word i want to use but i can't because id end up getting a suspension and your not worth it. I wonder would you have the balls and skills to play the fastest game on grass. I doubt it.

there's a word i want to use but i can't because id end up getting a suspension and your not worth it. I wonder would you have the balls and skills to play the fastest game on grass. I doubt it. "

Oh you’re hard !!!

If that sport is so good and skilful why is it only played by a handful of counties and is barely known outside of Ireland. Look outward not inwards

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

It opens up plenty of job opportunities.. Everyone wants to give an intercounty gaa player a job.. The enjoy an elevated social status.. Everybody knows who they are.. It seems to be a pre requisite for getting a job in a bank

AFAIK today's top gaa players will get allowances.. Expenses paid and other benefits it's not totally free..

"It opens up plenty of job opportunities.. Everyone wants to give an intercounty gaa player a job.. The enjoy an elevated social status.. Everybody knows who they are.. It seems to be a pre requisite for getting a job in a bank

AFAIK today's top gaa players will get allowances.. Expenses paid and other benefits it's not totally free.. "

Ah so it’s full of cronyism.. play for us and we’ll get you a good job ?

Maybe that’s what happened in Mayo and Tyrone?

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"It opens up plenty of job opportunities.. Everyone wants to give an intercounty gaa player a job.. The enjoy an elevated social status.. Everybody knows who they are.. It seems to be a pre requisite for getting a job in a bank

AFAIK today's top gaa players will get allowances.. Expenses paid and other benefits it's not totally free..

"

I also know of a lad who had a great career ahead of him but he suffered a serious knee injury and he was dropped like a hit snot they didn't want to have anything to do with him so they do use people..

I also know of a lad who had a great career ahead of him but he suffered a serious knee injury and he was dropped like a hit snot they didn't want to have anything to do with him so they do use people.. "

The association is built on using people and volunteering for “the community” that was the case 50 years ago but times have moved forward.

Least you would admit that, plenty of people here are blind to it

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

Ur not a member of a GAA club , so what's ure problem with the organization ?

Home

"Ur not a member of a GAA club , so what's ure problem with the organization ? "
jealousy of how well the gaa is regarded in the community

Agreed I used to work with Michael Hoban who played for Dublin in the 90s and he was well looked after

Agreed I used to work with Michael Hoban who played for Dublin in the 90s and he was well looked after "

.by you?

"Ah no, sure they get to take away a massive ego and a false sense of celebrity in they’re little town "

Some of them can even spell

By *arkl619Man  over a year ago

cork city and kerry

They all get jobs in the bank and do the test when they retire which normal people have to do just to qualify for a job in the bank. No 3rd level education needed in general

By *arkl619Man  over a year ago

cork city and kerry

As a person who lived through all that with family ties to it you can see its an extremely corrupt organisation and nepotism plays a huge role. Also well off people can buy there children into county teams through sponsorship. Never forget everything is done for money.

By *aucyladMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Gosh alot of the anti gaa brigate out in this thread. People questioning what do they get, and are they letting a career behind them. Firstly no one is forcing them to play, they do it of their own choice. When they do get involved in a club panel they make connections,friendships, they make healthy lifestyle changes. They become known and loved in their community and counties.

The overall bigger picture here has to be looked at, comments such as look inwards and not outwards, well have a think about what the gaa does for people,for communities. It's a cornerstone of all that's good in society. It helps the shy child make friends,it helps the moody teenager to channel his energy,it helps adults on a day to day basis. My local club delivered food and shopping during the lockdowns,this past week they ran vigils for Aisling Murphy and set about a walk group for people to feel safer in. They donated funds to a local charity for children with needs, and have freely given the use of their clubhouse to many local organisations who need it. So whilst you may consider amateurs playing in front of 80,000 for free you must look at the knock on effect, there are clubhouses training patches,gyms,etc in each corner of our society put in place with the gaa, grassroots systems that help schools and children. There are people who volunteer yes,again no one is forcing them and there are also those who get paid, some clubs run a club bar, they also utilise the FAS back to work scheme which is another positive. Instead of finding fault with the GAA, see the huge benefits it brings to people in Ireland. The majority of people view their local gaa club as the one that matters, County is merely a novelty for many, the home club is where you see all the benefits,but the county game and the money involved helps that local club be more than just a game.

By *ore of thatMan  over a year ago

skerries

Mayo is one of the weaker counties . Haven't won anything in so long

By *azirlMan  over a year ago

Marbella

That’s exactly it. Lots a bitter people that are mad that some lads get a minor bit of celebrity in their area and they can’t compete with it so they want to act like these guys are fools for playing a game they love. When in reality most of these people would trade a kidney for the chance to experience some of the social benefits of being good enough to get to that level.

"That’s exactly it. Lots a bitter people that are mad that some lads get a minor bit of celebrity in their area and they can’t compete with it so they want to act like these guys are fools for playing a game they love. When in reality most of these people would trade a kidney for the chance to experience some of the social benefits of being good enough to get to that level. "

Jeez I actually feel sorry for you!

Imagine if all the top Dublin/Mayo/Kerry GAA players had opted to play rugby or soccer, what life would they have made for themselves. If Cluxton is half as good as some people believe surely the lower end of the PL or Championship would beckon for him? But no the GAA starts are volunteering they don’t need money

Wake up

By *odge72Man  over a year ago

Nenagh

Thinly veiled all the gaa lads I know have passed me by in their careers opening post

And here I am giving out about it on a swingers forum

Nenagh

"As a person who lived through all that with family ties to it you can see its an extremely corrupt organisation and nepotism plays a huge role. Also well off people can buy there children into county teams through sponsorship. Never forget everything is done for money."

Ok I’ll bite

What people bought their kids onto county gaa teams through their sponsorship?

Nenagh

"That’s exactly it. Lots a bitter people that are mad that some lads get a minor bit of celebrity in their area and they can’t compete with it so they want to act like these guys are fools for playing a game they love. When in reality most of these people would trade a kidney for the chance to experience some of the social benefits of being good enough to get to that level.

Imagine if all the top Dublin/Mayo/Kerry GAA players had opted to play rugby or soccer, what life would they have made for themselves. If Cluxton is half as good as some people believe surely the lower end of the PL or Championship would beckon for him? But no the GAA starts are volunteering they don’t need money

Wake up"

Stephen Cluxton makes a very worthwhile contribution to Irish society as a Biology Teacher

That might be a defined as a failure to you but I’m sure the students he has taught would beg to differ

You are the sort of hollow individual who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

"That’s exactly it. Lots a bitter people that are mad that some lads get a minor bit of celebrity in their area and they can’t compete with it so they want to act like these guys are fools for playing a game they love. When in reality most of these people would trade a kidney for the chance to experience some of the social benefits of being good enough to get to that level.

Wake up

Stephen Cluxton makes a very worthwhile contribution to Irish society as a Biology Teacher

That might be a defined as a failure to you but I’m sure the students he has taught would beg to differ

You are the sort of hollow individual who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing "

Yes my point he’s a school teacher to focus on his football. When he retires from football it’s all he has left… then the regrets kick in.

Lol I am far from hollow and know the value of the important things in life. Are yiu a keyboard psychologist all of a sudden

Nenagh

Wake up

You are the sort of hollow individual who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

Yes my point he’s a school teacher to focus on his football. When he retires from football it’s all he has left… then the regrets kick in.

Lol I am far from hollow and know the value of the important things in life. Are yiu a keyboard psychologist all of a sudden "

“Being a Teacher is all he has left”

Well done on denigrating Teachers Son

I’d love to know about the massive contribution you make to Irish society that you can run down educators.

"Gosh alot of the anti gaa brigate out in this thread. People questioning what do they get, and are they letting a career behind them. Firstly no one is forcing them to play, they do it of their own choice. When they do get involved in a club panel they make connections,friendships, they make healthy lifestyle changes. They become known and loved in their community and counties.

The overall bigger picture here has to be looked at, comments such as look inwards and not outwards, well have a think about what the gaa does for people,for communities. It's a cornerstone of all that's good in society. It helps the shy child make friends,it helps the moody teenager to channel his energy,it helps adults on a day to day basis. My local club delivered food and shopping during the lockdowns,this past week they ran vigils for Aisling Murphy and set about a walk group for people to feel safer in. They donated funds to a local charity for children with needs, and have freely given the use of their clubhouse to many local organisations who need it. So whilst you may consider amateurs playing in front of 80,000 for free you must look at the knock on effect, there are clubhouses training patches,gyms,etc in each corner of our society put in place with the gaa, grassroots systems that help schools and children. There are people who volunteer yes,again no one is forcing them and there are also those who get paid, some clubs run a club bar, they also utilise the FAS back to work scheme which is another positive. Instead of finding fault with the GAA, see the huge benefits it brings to people in Ireland. The majority of people view their local gaa club as the one that matters, County is merely a novelty for many, the home club is where you see all the benefits,but the county game and the money involved helps that local club be more than just a game."

For me it was how the local GAA treated people from certain areas, the only people who were treated well and made teams were kids from the ‘nice’ estates, kids of ‘country’ parents and the offspring of past players. It was a joke, not sure if it still continues to this day but that why I’ve got a chip on my shoulder regarding GAA!

skerries

Get a life you guys . Great when i see hundreds of boys AND girls making their way to to football training and games in my area every sat morning . F###k the begrudgers and the sad people that make little of the gaa . As for volunteers no one twists their arms to get involved . Other sports are very envious of the gaa . You reap what you so .

Up the dubs .and fair play to anyone who gets on well when they retire

"Get a life you guys . Great when i see hundreds of boys AND girls making their way to to football training and games in my area every sat morning . F###k the begrudgers and the sad people that make little of the gaa . As for volunteers no one twists their arms to get involved . Other sports are very envious of the gaa . You reap what you so .

Up the dubs .and fair play to anyone who gets on well when they retire"

Up the Dubs financial doping

skerries

You jealous people make me laugh . What about all the money coming from the irish American trying unsuccessfully i might add trying to buy an all Ireland for mayo

How do you think the limerick hurlers have come on so much in the last few years . From not able to reach a munster final to begin one of the best teams in the country ever . They are amazing . All the money jp mcmanus

Is pumping into the county . Take t .a trip around the clubs in tyrone and monaghan and see the money thats being invested in the game .

Fair play to them . But its not only dublin . So dont be so jealous about others making the best of what they can get and grow up

skerries

If meath won the euro millions they still couldn't buy an all Ireland . Have to send the women out . .they play a better brand of game than the men . . Lol.lol

"You jealous people make me laugh . What about all the money coming from the irish American trying unsuccessfully i might add trying to buy an all Ireland for mayo

How do you think the limerick hurlers have come on so much in the last few years . From not able to reach a munster final to begin one of the best teams in the country ever . They are amazing . All the money jp mcmanus

Is pumping into the county . Take t .a trip around the clubs in tyrone and monaghan and see the money thats being invested in the game .

Fair play to them . But its not only dublin . So dont be so jealous about others making the best of what they can get and grow up"

Not jealous but the GAA created a monster with Dublin by pumping money in to the county with the fear of rugby/soccer takin over. Well documented Dublin have received more than any other county

"If meath won the euro millions they still couldn't buy an all Ireland . Have to send the women out . .they play a better brand of game than the men . . Lol.lol"

Can’t all be pros like the Dubs

skerries

Could only be a meath man .lol lol

And limerick support ers have an opinion

skerries

Meath co board . Paying ex rugby coach a fortune . Maybe if they spent more on players and their welfare they might win a provincial title

"Meath co board . Paying ex rugby coach a fortune . Maybe if they spent more on players and their welfare they might win a provincial title"

Not from Meath originally. Weren’t Dublin paying an ex professional boxer big money?

skerries

Let he is without sin cast the first stone

"Let he is without sin cast the first stone"

Only reason Dublin have won those all Irelands is because of the financial doping

skerries

Dont care where your from . Sorry for you bad experience of the gaa . As its clear you hold a grudge . Get over it . Gaa will always be the biggest sport in ireland . God help the kid of this country if they ever have to depend on soccer or rugby to look after them . .

skerries

Folks lets not respond to aland anymore .he is just trying to stir the shit . Contradicts himself regular . Leave him to it

By *ub23Man  over a year ago

wandering

[Removed by poster at 24/01/22 19:10:09]

By *ub23Man  over a year ago

wandering

I play club which is a few nights a week training, I play it for the crack, love of the game and it keeps me reasonably fit. I think the majority of players are the same.

Women also like a gaa players too;)

"Dont care where your from . Sorry for you bad experience of the gaa . As its clear you hold a grudge . Get over it . Gaa will always be the biggest sport in ireland . God help the kid of this country if they ever have to depend on soccer or rugby to look after them . ."

GAA aren’t doing the youth of the country a service

I doubt there's anyone on a county panel that doesn't want to be there. Playing is like a drug, representing your club, community, village is a pleasure. Getting to represent a county is a lot of fellas dreams.

They might may sacrifices, but doesn't everyone who is following a path?

Like doesn't the Kellie Harrington who won gold in the Olympics have a job as she's an amateur boxer?

GAA is always gonna be amateur, they make tonnes of €€€ but I've seen first hand of the investment into clubs and coaching. And even being on a weaker county panel that I was on for 6 months a million years ago, I still had Free access to Nutritionist, Performance Coach, Free use of the gym, travel expenses etc etc. Its not the worst in the world.

"I doubt there's anyone on a county panel that doesn't want to be there. Playing is like a drug, representing your club, community, village is a pleasure. Getting to represent a county is a lot of fellas dreams.

Like doesn't the Kellie Harrington who won gold in the Olympics have a job as she's an amateur boxer?

GAA is always gonna be amateur, they make tonnes of €€€ but I've seen first hand of the investment into clubs and coaching. And even being on a weaker county panel that I was on for 6 months a million years ago, I still had Free access to Nutritionist, Performance Coach, Free use of the gym, travel expenses etc etc. Its not the worst in the world."

Extended Panel may I add, I never made match day but got the expenses hahaha

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

[Removed by poster at 24/01/22 21:59:25]

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

"I doubt there's anyone on a county panel that doesn't want to be there. Playing is like a drug, representing your club, community, village is a pleasure. Getting to represent a county is a lot of fellas dreams.

GAA is always gonna be amateur, they make tonnes of €€€ but I've seen first hand of the investment into clubs and coaching. And even being on a weaker county panel that I was on for 6 months a million years ago, I still had Free access to Nutritionist, Performance Coach, Free use of the gym, travel expenses etc etc. Its not the worst in the world.

Extended Panel may I add, I never made match day but got the expenses hahaha"

Ahem ladies too

They get a job as sales reps....selling Allianz insurance or farming feeds ??

Extended Panel may I add, I never made match day but got the expenses hahaha

Ahem ladies too "

Fair play to the ladies,game of the year had to be meath v dublin,what a cracker that was.

By *azirlMan  over a year ago

Marbella

"You jealous people make me laugh . What about all the money coming from the irish American trying unsuccessfully i might add trying to buy an all Ireland for mayo

Fair play to them . But its not only dublin . So dont be so jealous about others making the best of what they can get and grow up"

The thread isn’t about that but there’s big differences in counties going out getting sponsors from private companies etc and the actual organisation investing a huge amount into one county which then had the knock on effect of also making them more attractive to private sponsors. Pretty much everyone can agrees on that, even Dubliners for the most part acknowledge that it turned everything around for them and they’re delighted they got(still get) it. As they should be because it still took a crazy amount of work from mostly volunteers at clubs around the county to make it a success.

By *upermanslovechildMan  over a year ago

Glasnevin

I think someone's a bit salty they didn't make county......

By *uckoldDesiresMan  over a year ago

Dublin

there's a word i want to use but i can't because id end up getting a suspension and your not worth it. I wonder would you have the balls and skills to play the fastest game on grass. I doubt it.

Oh you’re hard !!!

If that sport is so good and skilful why is it only played by a handful of counties and is barely known outside of Ireland. Look outward not inwards "

Exactly this. Too much listening to commentators and their "world class" tripe.

About 8 counties of one small island take hurling seriously and the traditional best team are from one of the smallest populated counties, yet the belief is that its something elite that's happening. There is just nothing to compare it to.

I think someone's a bit salty they didn't make county...... "

Not one bit…

Oh you’re hard !!!

If that sport is so good and skilful why is it only played by a handful of counties and is barely known outside of Ireland. Look outward not inwards

About 8 counties of one small island take hurling seriously and the traditional best team are from one of the smallest populated counties, yet the belief is that its something elite that's happening. There is just nothing to compare it to."

Very true!! Nail on the head

By *usietranslutTV/TS  over a year ago

carlow

Would somebody please terminate this thread - it is just so tedious at this stage. Being considerate to the OP and his allies in this discussion - they just don’t understand - forgive them for they just don’t know what they are talking about.

I think the girls just want to know who still has their GAA shorts!

I do

"I think the girls just want to know who still has their GAA shorts!

I do "

Do we have to still fit into said shorts?

Nenagh

Oh you’re hard !!!

About 8 counties of one small island take hurling seriously and the traditional best team are from one of the smallest populated counties, yet the belief is that its something elite that's happening. There is just nothing to compare it to."

The same could be said of rugby as a world sport

8 take it seriously

Limited to pockets of Limerick and south Dublin and Belfast and the privately educated here

And yet you have lads and women on here creaming themselves when they beat the all blacks in a challenge game in November

skerries

Agree

Home

Oh you’re hard !!!

About 8 counties of one small island take hurling seriously and the traditional best team are from one of the smallest populated counties, yet the belief is that its something elite that's happening. There is just nothing to compare it to.

8 take it seriously

Limited to pockets of Limerick and south Dublin and Belfast and the privately educated here

And yet you have lads and women on here creaming themselves when they beat the all blacks in a challenge game in November "

go into young munster and call them privileged and see what happens

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

"Limited to pockets of Limerick and south Dublin and Belfast and the privately educated here "

I don’t think Donnacha Ryan for one, would agree with you there…….

Nenagh

Oh you’re hard !!!

8 take it seriously

And yet you have lads and women on here creaming themselves when they beat the all blacks in a challenge game in November go into young munster and call them privileged and see what happens "

6.5% of the leaving cert population in 2019 were privately educated

At the 2019 World Cup

20 out of the 23 players in the Ireland rugby squad that had been educated in the Republic of Ireland were privately educated

That’s the reality folks

It’s not team of us

It’s the team of the top 5% and the other 95% sure can buy the jerseys and fund the bottom line

That’s the reality

Nenagh

"Limited to pockets of Limerick and south Dublin and Belfast and the privately educated here

I don’t think Donnacha Ryan for one, would agree with you there……."

For one

No more than Tadhg furlong is for one

Or keith Earls is for one

Whilst all along you seem to forget that the overwhelming majority are the privately educated well resourced well connected elite

And do you know what

Fair play to them for convincing the likes of you that you can be part of their club

Just hand over the cash and you can reflect in some of our glory

Home

Oh you’re hard !!!

8 take it seriously

And yet you have lads and women on here creaming themselves when they beat the all blacks in a challenge game in November go into young munster and call them privileged and see what happens

At the 2019 World Cup

20 out of the 23 players in the Ireland rugby squad that had been educated in the Republic of Ireland were privately educated

That’s the reality folks

It’s not team of us

It’s the team of the top 5% and the other 95% sure can buy the jerseys and fund the bottom line

That’s the reality "

go to the next young munster match and call their fans privileged and see if you come out alive

somewhere

Oh you’re hard !!!

8 take it seriously

And yet you have lads and women on here creaming themselves when they beat the all blacks in a challenge game in November go into young munster and call them privileged and see what happens

At the 2019 World Cup

That’s the reality folks

It’s not team of us

That’s the reality "

Of course its the team of us...they put on an Ireland Jersey and represent us...couldn't care where they come from or how they were educated they've given us all some some of the best sporting memories ever

Home

Oh you’re hard !!!

8 take it seriously

At the 2019 World Cup

That’s the reality folks

It’s not team of us

That’s the reality

Of course its the team of us...they put on an Ireland Jersey and represent us...couldn't care where they come from or how they were educated they've given us all some some of the best sporting memories ever

"

100% agree with you

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

"Limited to pockets of Limerick and south Dublin and Belfast and the privately educated here

For one

Whilst all along you seem to forget that the overwhelming majority are the privately educated well resourced well connected elite

And do you know what

Fair play to them for convincing the likes of you that you can be part of their club

Just hand over the cash and you can reflect in some of our glory"

So, is the problem that those who play rugby can get a private education, or, that those who get a private education can play rugby?

Or just rugby?

Or just private education?

Or a combination of both?

I’m confused……

By *ootyKitFanMan  over a year ago

Carlow

I don't play GAA or have any association with any of the clubs, but I seriously admire the passion and dedication of today's players - even as a guy who only watches matches casually, I have to remark on the level of athleticism, the commitment to training, and the drive of players today... It's inspiring to see the level of commitment among the various teams...

I know quite a few personally and they love it. There are lots of perks financial and otherwise. I was fortunate to play up to u21 and had one season with seniors but wasn’t dedicated enough. Friends are made for life. It’s a big decision

skerries

What annoys me about rugby...

1 there are some great young players here which will never get a chance as guys from new Zealand south africa etc . And played . Also . Munster .leinster . Most of their backroom staff are from England or somewhere else . Is gheir no good coaches here

moira

For one

And do you know what

Just hand over the cash and you can reflect in some of our glory"

What a sad bitter wee man you are...

The irfu funds grassroots and youth level training and competition just like any other successful sport. If it didn't, its support base would dwindle and it would die.

Yes it's a business but don't act the bitter wee man of the people and claim all the benefits go to the elite few.

Away on back to your darts there, that's a good chap...

"What annoys me about rugby...

1 there are some great young players here which will never get a chance as guys from new Zealand south africa etc . And played . Also . Munster .leinster . Most of their backroom staff are from England or somewhere else . Is gheir no good coaches here"

If they were/are good enough they will get selected

What about the top players who play for weaker GAA counties, they will never get to play in a GAA final ! Despite the commitment

» Add a new message to this topic