FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Tipping

Tipping

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man  over a year ago

Tipperary

do you leave tips in Bars/Restaurants for your server or do you think food/drink is expensive enough as it is?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"do you leave tips in Bars/Restaurants for your server or do you think food/drink is expensive enough as it is?"

I would always round up the bill or leave a wee something, more if the service was excellent

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

How not to sound like a plonker but if I eat out I give 15% rounded after checking first who gets the tips

I also pay tips in cash only

Except if 12% is already added for having a table of 6 or more

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"How not to sound like a plonker but if I eat out I give 15% rounded after checking first who gets the tips

I also pay tips in cash only

Except if 12% is already added for having a table of 6 or more "

Depends on the place, quality of food and the staff serving it.

I also like to know who gets the tip to be honest. Working in the service industry can be really shitty at times and good service and food deserves to be rewarded with that little extra!

But I think I tend to be relatively generous with at least 10% plus rounding up generally to an even number so change doesn't become bothersome. It would have to be really shit in order for me not to at least round up by a few Euros.

I would also tip for a delivery of food ordered in.

And yes, tips cash only!

By *organ DeanWoman  over a year ago

Belfast

I tip, I'm an awkward orderer of drinks and food.

somewhere

When food gets delivered via deliveroo can tips be added to the order

My kids use my card and tell me they tip online

They've been doing this since the first lockdown to save having me hand over a fiver to keep social distance

Are they lying to me ..i never look at the receipt

Tipperary

"When food gets delivered via deliveroo can tips be added to the order

My kids use my card and tell me they tip online

They've been doing this since the first lockdown to save having me hand over a fiver to keep social distance

Are they lying to me ..i never look at the receipt "

you can always tip online.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Never had food delivered so I've never had to consider tipping.

My kids have all worked in hospitality and two still do so I'm very conscious of always tipping if the service is good.

I've never looked at it as a percentage and just give what i can afford.

Only ever eat out in places i know and where i know the tips go directly to the staff.

Always tip. How much will all depend on the service

By *risharrowMan  over a year ago

Clare

If your in a position where you earn a decent amount than I feel tipping is money well spent.

I tip if the service was good. If not, I don’t.

By *urFabFun21Couple  over a year ago

Somewhere

We usually tip anywhere that hasnt added onto the bill themselves. Places that do this annoy me and we generally dont return.

I'd rather restaurants add a euro onto each dish and pay their staff a proper wage instead of adding mandatory tips to the bill so I can make up my mind if the food and service has been worthy of a tip and how much.

Depends on the service I receive. Wouldn’t be a big tipper as the waiting staff are paid a wage regardless unlike the states where they rely on tips to get paid.

Maybe that’s the Cavan coming out in me

By *risharrowMan  over a year ago

Clare

And if you are in a lower wage bracket and can't afford to tip than that's okay too.

I almost always tip, what staff are paid has little or no correlation with the price of food. But if I know for sure that staff don't get the tips, I won't give anything - as I know to be the case in an establishment local to me where my daughter's best friend works. It's a good idea to check quietly with your server if in doubt.

By *exy Ruby 100 300Couple  over a year ago

unknown

Yes we would always tip,when I was a waitress in oz they weren't big into tipping lol R x

I always round up the bill. But would not expect it . Not everyone has deep pockets. Same as collecting for a good cause in work, people might feel obliged to give what they cant afford.

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

If it's been good food and service the we'd add 10% or so to the bill.

If it's already on the bill,or food/service not good then no.

We don't tip in bars or coffee shops though. When they start doing free refills or buybacks, that might change. We're not American you know

By *aywhatnowMan  over a year ago

North County

"If it's been good food and service the we'd add 10% or so to the bill.

If it's already on the bill,or food/service not good then no.

We don't tip in bars or coffee shops though. When they start doing free refills or buybacks, that might change. We're not American you know "

By *oosanMan  over a year ago

outskirts galway

Had a meal out last week, first in a good while.. Normally leave a decent enough tip regardless.. Got the bill and thought it was way higher than normal, but then again that was nearly 2 yrs ago since last dined out. maybe money just hasn't the same value in today's world, left a 2€ tip.

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man  over a year ago

Tip Hackballscross..Monaghan..

Same here I almost certainly leave a tip

5 or 10 euros whatever I have.

More often than not it's students serving up your food and it's more than likely it's their only source of much needed extra income

Tipperary

"Had a meal out last week, first in a good while.. Normally leave a decent enough tip regardless.. Got the bill and thought it was way higher than normal, but then again that was nearly 2 yrs ago since last dined out. maybe money just hasn't the same value in today's world, left a 2€ tip. "
prices are gone higher in alot of places I have been since covid.

Somewhere

"Had a meal out last week, first in a good while.. Normally leave a decent enough tip regardless.. Got the bill and thought it was way higher than normal, but then again that was nearly 2 yrs ago since last dined out. maybe money just hasn't the same value in today's world, left a 2€ tip. "

Did you query the bill or check it to see where the anomaly was?

Had it in a restaurant over Christmas that they had forgotten to cash off the table next to us and added it to our bill by mistake after they had paid themselves. We questioned it and it was resolved with no issues.

outskirts galway

I didn't been honest, I got up from table and went to the bar and asked for bill.. Server gave bill and said amount, paid and left, leaving bill behind, just thought it was pricey by a good measure but decent meal all the same

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

At least 10%... unless there was an attitude from the server in which case I'm happy to give nothing.

outskirts galway

"Had a meal out last week, first in a good while.. Normally leave a decent enough tip regardless.. Got the bill and thought it was way higher than normal, but then again that was nearly 2 yrs ago since last dined out. maybe money just hasn't the same value in today's world, left a 2€ tip.

Did you query the bill or check it to see where the anomaly was?

Had it in a restaurant over Christmas that they had forgotten to cash off the table next to us and added it to our bill by mistake after they had paid themselves. We questioned it and it was resolved with no issues."

I had a 10oz steak with the trimmings, peppercorn sauce which never came, and a pint of milk, chocolate fudge with cream and a cup of tea, bill came to 53€ left 55€ on the board..

Somewhere

"I didn't been honest, I got up from table and went to the bar and asked for bill.. Server gave bill and said amount, paid and left, leaving bill behind, just thought it was pricey by a good measure but decent meal all the same"

I'd have queried it but sure nothing you can do now. Always worth asking, but especially now that a lot of inexperienced staff are working which is what happened in our case. Was just a young girl looked about 16 or 17 and she made a mistake.

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf.

outskirts galway

"I didn't been honest, I got up from table and went to the bar and asked for bill.. Server gave bill and said amount, paid and left, leaving bill behind, just thought it was pricey by a good measure but decent meal all the same

I'd have queried it but sure nothing you can do now. Always worth asking, but especially now that a lot of inexperienced staff are working which is what happened in our case. Was just a young girl looked about 16 or 17 and she made a mistake.

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf."

was a young waitress also, I thought the same..

somewhere

Overcharged by about ten euro id imagine

Tipperary

"I didn't been honest, I got up from table and went to the bar and asked for bill.. Server gave bill and said amount, paid and left, leaving bill behind, just thought it was pricey by a good measure but decent meal all the same

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf. was a young waitress also, I thought the same.. "

that's highly expensive for that. even though steak is dear, overall its to much.

By *orkGuyFunGuyMan  over a year ago

Cork

I’d leave €7-€10 for the waiter/waitress

Leave €2-€3 for the barber that’s about it

It’s madness in the states though

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Only times we don't tip is when the tip is already added to a bill.

We don't always tip in our local, but when we do - it's always extra generous as we've became friends with staff who work there.

Hell, a bunch off fabbers are now friends with them too

outskirts galway

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf. was a young waitress also, I thought the same.. that's highly expensive for that. even though steak is dear, overall its to much. "

I thought it was expensive aswel, probably wouldn't go back in a hurry even though I couldn't fault the food or the service..

Dunboyne

I do often buy the barman a beer.

Back in the old days, which are coming back, doing so meant he/she saw you when the bar was 4 or 5 deep later in the evening and you get served before others

Loyalty has a price

Belfast

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf. was a young waitress also, I thought the same.. that's highly expensive for that. even though steak is dear, overall its to much. I thought it was expensive aswel, probably wouldn't go back in a hurry even though I couldn't fault the food or the service.. "

I remember back in a day when Gordon Ramsey was doing kitchen nightmares he used to say constantly to everyone:

"Customers very rarely complain. If something is wrong they just don't come back."

I'm sure the business will not notice one unhappy customer gone, but in a grand scheme of things if a mistake is minor enough- it's not bad form to question it or complain about it.

There's one particular restaurant near the border that I used to go to regularly. Food was crap there, but my old mother in law loved it there.

Found hair in my chips at least four times.

Never said anything to be polite (don't eat chips anyway, don't cancel them in case anyone else I'm with wants to eat them).

Last time I went there i found little wriggly red worms in my salad.

That time I complained. And never returned.

missus

Dunboyne

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf. was a young waitress also, I thought the same.. that's highly expensive for that. even though steak is dear, overall its to much. I thought it was expensive aswel, probably wouldn't go back in a hurry even though I couldn't fault the food or the service..

I remember back in a day when Gordon Ramsey was doing kitchen nightmares he used to say constantly to everyone:

"Customers very rarely complain. If something is wrong they just don't come back."

I'm sure the business will not notice one unhappy customer gone, but in a grand scheme of things if a mistake is minor enough- it's not bad form to question it or complain about it.

There's one particular restaurant near the border that I used to go to regularly. Food was crap there, but my old mother in law loved it there.

Never said anything to be polite (don't eat chips anyway, don't cancel them in case anyone else I'm with wants to eat them).

missus "

That's !!

I'd have pointed it out to them and, if I got same again, marched into their kitchen to inspect the cleanliness.

So gross!

Belfast

53 quid sounds expensive for steak and dessert tbf. was a young waitress also, I thought the same.. that's highly expensive for that. even though steak is dear, overall its to much. I thought it was expensive aswel, probably wouldn't go back in a hurry even though I couldn't fault the food or the service..

missus

That's !!

I'd have pointed it out to them and, if I got same again, marched into their kitchen to inspect the cleanliness.

So gross!"

I just asked for a different side instead and told their chefs need to start washing their salad.

Spent over 15 years in hospitality and I know damn well that mixed leaf salad leaves come in a bag that says "wash before use" and even I had to always haunt my staff to wash the bloody salad!

No matter how clean the kitchen is and how well they fill their books.

Not washing mixed salad leaves is actually a very common practice because some cooks just assume that its ready to eat.

I was just the unfortunate one who happened to get the one that had worms instead of soil on it.

P.S. I sincerely apologise if I put anyone else off salad.

Always carefully inspect it before eating and if you see any dirt on it - please do complain as having soil on fresh fruit and veg can lead to a very nasty e-coli food poisoning

Dunboyne

I actually avoid salad in most circumstances, other than my own kitchen.

Speaking of which, Rick Stein's Kachumber salad is a joy even carnivores like me will love.

Try it folks but don't slice, chop the shit out of everything for a great dish for Indian feast

Belfast

"I actually avoid salad in most circumstances, other than my own kitchen.

Speaking of which, Rick Stein's Kachumber salad is a joy even carnivores like me will love.

Try it folks but don't slice, chop the shit out of everything for a great dish for Indian feast "

I was all up for it until you mentioned Indian lol

One cuisine that just doesn't sit well with me lol

I'll make some for Dirk some day though

Dunboyne

It's an anytime salad, trust me.

"And if you are in a lower wage bracket and can't afford to tip than that's okay too."

Yeah, its not an expectation here like it is in the US where the waiters rely on tips which isnt right in my opinion.

"And if you are in a lower wage bracket and can't afford to tip than that's okay too.

Yeah, its not an expectation here like it is in the US where the waiters rely on tips which isnt right in my opinion.

"

Yes, this is just wrong, everyone should be afforded the dignity of a living wage for work.

By *ORDERMANMan  over a year ago

wrexham

"Yes we would always tip,when I was a waitress in oz they weren't big into tipping lol R x"

I worked with a lot of aussies who came over here...and yes at home tipping not part of their culture..

However when explained how tipping worked they were big tippers..

Its partly their mindset..tell an aussie they have to do something their backs are up

Explain how something is done they are cooperative

somewhere

Someone mentioned buybacks above in relation to America...I've never been to America..what is a buyback

Yes unless the service was awful/rude. Though we do hate the culture of "having to tip because they're low paying jobs" the employer and industry should pay them better rather than us having to pay twice. You don't tip nurses and they're underpaid too imo.

somewhere

"Yes unless the service was awful/rude. Though we do hate the culture of "having to tip because they're low paying jobs" the employer and industry should pay them better rather than us having to pay twice. You don't tip nurses and they're underpaid too imo."

I was in hospital during the week and didn't realise student nurses dont get paid at all

By *adbod2020Man  over a year ago

Galway

"I’d leave €7-€10 for the waiter/waitress

Leave €2-€3 for the barber that’s about it

It’s madness in the states though "

Id tip both too however I'd tip more evenly

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Yes unless the service was awful/rude. Though we do hate the culture of "having to tip because they're low paying jobs" the employer and industry should pay them better rather than us having to pay twice. You don't tip nurses and they're underpaid too imo.

I was in hospital during the week and didn't realise student nurses dont get paid at all "

No they get a bursary but while training they don't get paid when on placement. A lot do however do banking shifts in some places and they get paid for doing them.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I always leave a tip when the service is good. I do it in cash as well as sometimes it's not handed on when you do it with your card.

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple  over a year ago

ireland

Only tip when I think the service was good enough .Always cash as I don't trust who gets it when its added on card!

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

I don't feel obliged to do so, if service and food is good I always do. The last time I eat out with my daughter,who when it comes to food is rather fussy. The member of staff was brilliant at getting it just right.

I do give a tip if i have change but if i don't then i don't simple as that. But if i didn't enjoy the food or service then i definitely won't.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"do you leave tips in Bars/Restaurants for your server or do you think food/drink is expensive enough as it is?"

It is expensive enough as it is.. A standard pub meal containing a steak is around 25 euro mark which imo is pricey.. If you look at the receipt it will usually have a service charge which goes into a tip jar and is divided equally among all staff.. Personally I think this is enough..

Tipperary

I notice lately when going out for dinner on weekend and u ring to book, alot ain't taking bookings. side issue but I thought a booking system on weekends would be much easier for staff?

Tipperary

"do you leave tips in Bars/Restaurants for your server or do you think food/drink is expensive enough as it is?

It is expensive enough as it is.. A standard pub meal containing a steak is around 25 euro mark which imo is pricey.. If you look at the receipt it will usually have a service charge which goes into a tip jar and is divided equally among all staff.. Personally I think this is enough.. "

interesting. I often pay by card and never look.

I’ll only tip if the service was exceptional and as already said most places are including a service charge on top of the already fairly expensive meal. Call me a tight arse but I never really understood universal tipping!

Belfast

Went out for a meal recently. Table booked for 7pm but it was 9.15 before we got the mains and almost 10 before desserts arrived.

Staff were under extra pressure with checking covid passports and issues in the kitchen but they managed to be as attentive as possible so we had no problem with tipping.

They were still serving at 11.15 as we were leaving which I've never seen before.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Only when the service was good, eating out is a rather costly experience in Ireland.

Tipperary

"Only when the service was good, eating out is a rather costly experience in Ireland. "
that it Is and I have noticed its gone even dearer during covid.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"Only when the service was good, eating out is a rather costly experience in Ireland. that it Is and I have noticed its gone even dearer during covid. "

It's no wonder it has gone up, it's even understandable, that sector has been hit hard. Current energy prices and the resulting inflation will drive prices further. It's insane at the moment.

Tipperary

"Only when the service was good, eating out is a rather costly experience in Ireland. that it Is and I have noticed its gone even dearer during covid.

It's no wonder it has gone up, it's even understandable, that sector has been hit hard. Current energy prices and the resulting inflation will drive prices further. It's insane at the moment. "

Absolutely

Dunboyne

"Someone mentioned buybacks above in relation to America...I've never been to America..what is a buyback "

In America about 15yrs ago with a bunch of lads. Any pub we stayed in for a few hours, every 5th or 6th round, the bar bought us.

Don't know if it still happens but we were gobsmacked and stayed for the night in any pub with that system, which was most of them

somewhere

"Someone mentioned buybacks above in relation to America...I've never been to America..what is a buyback

In America about 15yrs ago with a bunch of lads. Any pub we stayed in for a few hours, every 5th or 6th round, the bar bought us.

Don't know if it still happens but we were gobsmacked and stayed for the night in any pub with that system, which was most of them "

God and there was me thinking getting a free pint at Christmas was a good deal

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Wages in the hospitality sector are almost invariably abysmal and good service (attitude, speed and attentiveness) deserves to be rewarded.

But in cash only; not added to the bill; skinflint and tight fisted owners and managers often hang onto gratuities, and good staff get nothing.

Furthermore, a tips bucket that is shared out is not equitable. The very best servers should be given their just rewards.

Where deserved I always tip, but if any attitude is evident I do not and make a comment about why I do not. This is not always appreciated!

By *ewrideMan  over a year ago

KK

I don't tip

Belfast

Have a look at the Payment of wages(Amendment) Bill published today if you have concerns over where tips are going.

Employers are no longer allowed to make up contractual rates using tips.

This includes electronic tips which must be transparently distributed and will be inspected through the Workplace Relations commission.

These obligations don't cover tips that are distributed by the employees themselves.

Pay the bill using card and tip with cash

By *eepixieWoman  over a year ago

belfast

Always tip in cash if the service has been good, servers take a lot of crap from customers, they deserve a decent tip!

One restaurant I visited recently, added 15% service charge to our bill. The service was good so the server deserved a tip, but that should be my choice, not expected from the proprietor! And there were 2 of us dining - not 6!!

» Add a new message to this topic