FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > What good are our defence forces

What good are our defence forces

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With light of the Russian fiasco… what good are our defence forces ? Maybe the Navy have some justification patrolling for illegal fishing or drugs. But what do the army do on a daily basis… yes they go overseas for 6months every few days and that requires training. But 80% of the time what do they do ? Are they just a drain on taxpayers money ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"With light of the Russian fiasco… what good are our defence forces ? Maybe the Navy have some justification patrolling for illegal fishing or drugs. But what do the army do on a daily basis… yes they go overseas for 6months every few days and that requires training. But 80% of the time what do they do ? Are they just a drain on taxpayers money ?"

But what do the army do on a daily basis...they keep some of us Fab ladies smiling

"With light of the Russian fiasco… what good are our defence forces ? Maybe the Navy have some justification patrolling for illegal fishing or drugs. But what do the army do on a daily basis… yes they go overseas for 6months every few days and that requires training. But 80% of the time what do they do ? Are they just a drain on taxpayers money ?

But what do the army do on a daily basis...they keep some of us Fab ladies smiling "

Agreed my love

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Lol a public service

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"With light of the Russian fiasco… what good are our defence forces ? Maybe the Navy have some justification patrolling for illegal fishing or drugs. But what do the army do on a daily basis… yes they go overseas for 6months every few days and that requires training. But 80% of the time what do they do ? Are they just a drain on taxpayers money ?

But what do the army do on a daily basis...they keep some of us Fab ladies smiling "

Walking the dogs on the curragh will do that alright

"Lol a public service "

I hear a rumour they have Fab posters up in their canteens. Join Fab and do your bit to keep the women of Ireland serviced

By *r_Insatiable666Man  over a year ago

Cork

I'd give the bomb squad quite a bit of props, but in general, they don't cost that much, and sorely lack equipment and good pay.

Our forces deserve some more respect from the government I think

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I can understand why we needed an army previously

Setting up the state after a civil war and establishing Ireland as a country ..you need a defence force

During the troubles we also needed one

Now I'm not so sure we need one at all but no government is going to scrap it....too many jobs and votes to be lost

Why can't it be scaled right back just to be a force to use overseas on peace missions and held in reserve here in case they're needed

I haven't a clue about numbers in each barracks or optimum number for training

Its embarrassing when you see the planes flying over from Baldonnel ...our airforce looks like a couple of spitfires could take them out

By *r_Insatiable666Man  over a year ago

Cork

"I can understand why we needed an army previously

Setting up the state after a civil war and establishing Ireland as a country ..you need a defence force

Now I'm not so sure we need one at all but no government is going to scrap it....too many jobs and votes to be lost

Why can't it be scaled right back just to be a force to use overseas on peace missions and held in reserve here in case they're needed

Its embarrassing when you see the planes flying over from Baldonnel ...our airforce looks like a couple of spitfires could take them out "

As far as I know, our airforce consists of a few P51s, I always thought the army should be made more useful, have the engineers assess infrastructure etc.

By *he SophisticatsCouple  over a year ago

Casa Del PURRRR!!

"I can understand why we needed an army previously

Its embarrassing when you see the planes flying over from Baldonnel ...our airforce looks like a couple of spitfires could take them out "

Without trying to get into some massive debate with everyone, just want to point out that it isn’t an army but a defence force, and has been scaled back drastically and do the very thing you say it should do.

An overseas force (while two large forces are overseas, Lebanon/Syria and various other smaller missions, there are others in training to replace those), there’s also civil requirements to be carried out (aid to the Gardai, prisons, coastal patrols air/sea etc, general everyday duties/requirements) all by the remaining personnel, which is getting fewer.

You’d be surprised at how few there are too…

And they do it so well

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

In a national emergency they would be needed, floods etc

Mass civil disobedience that overwhelmed the guards, army would need be called in.

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

I'm a lover not a fighter

By *herry...Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere

Some of them are really really good in bed

By *annah HuntWoman  over a year ago

K

Mislead to believe it's like playing Call of Duty IRL I suspect..

By *affa31Woman  over a year ago

Galway

Their arses look great in those pants

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

"Their arses look great in those pants "

OP.. I think the women of Ireland have cast their vote. Our Defence Force is smaller than that of Benin, Togo, and Switzerland. So they do what the Government tells them to do on the smallest defence budget in the world. If the Army was disbanded and they all converted to an ambulance service, or fire brigade I'd support it, but in this country thats not how we do things, unfortunately.

They did quite a bit in particular during covid. Seems a bit like an insurance policy, everyone asks what they do until they need them during a crisis.

Max security prison, saving lives in the Mediterranean, assisting national ambo service, air ambulance 24/7, patient transfer to uk

For

Organs etc, floods, you could go on all day really.

Having spent a few years in the army and served overseas and on the border I often got asked that question!

By *ohng69Man  over a year ago

athenry

A lot of them are top gaa players

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

Obviously it’s forbidden to reveal military secrets so you won’t be finding out anything here OP….

You’re not a spy are you?…….

And ladies, uniform play available upon request…..

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Ireland, as a tiny nation state is almost wholly inconsequential on the world stage; and its armed forces reflect that.

In fact they could probably be halved with minimal adverse effects on national security.

They do not attract the highest calibre of recruit because of the abysmal remuneration packages that are currently being paid.

A reappraisal of the current military models would be welcomed .

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Putin was sitting in his office wondering whom to invade next when his telephone rang.

"Hallo! Mr. Putin ," a heavily accented voice said.

"This is Paddy up in County Cavan, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you."

"Well, Paddy," Putin replied, "This is indeed important news. Tell me, how big is your army?"

"At this moment in time," said Paddy after a moment's calculation, "there is myself, my cousin Sean, my next door neighbor Gerry, and the entire dominoes team from the pub -- that makes eight."

Putin sighed. "I must tell you Paddy that I have one million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begorra!" said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back."

Sure enough, the next day Paddy rang back. "Right Mr. Putin , the war is still on. We have managed to acquire some equipment."

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Putin asked. "Well, we have two combine harvesters, a bulldozer and Murphy's tractor from the farm."

Once more Putin sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16,000 tanks, 14,000 armored personnel carriers, and my army has increased to one and a half million since we last spoke."

"Really?" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back."

Paddy rang again the next day. "Right, Mr. Putin , the war is still on. We have managed to get ourselves airborne. We've modified Ted's ultra-light with a couple of rifles in the cockpit, and the bridge team has joined us as well."

Putin was silent for a minute, then sighed. "I must tell you Paddy that I have 10,000 bombers, 20,000 MiG-19 attack planes,my military complex is surrounded by laser-guided surface-to-air missile sites, and since we last spoke, my army has increased to two million men."

"Faith and begorra!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you

back."

Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day.

"Right, Mr. Putin , I am sorry to tell you that we have had to call off the war."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Putin . "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," said Paddy, "We've all had a chat, and there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

"

"...there's no way we can feed two million prisoners.""

On a serious note, have you ever read the details of what the Werhacht did to its Russian prisoners during WW2! Oh, and vice versa, of course. Horrific.

» Add a new message to this topic