FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Unites Ireland

Unites Ireland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sooo I know this is going to be controversial but hey here goes… finished watching derry girls last night with the good Friday agreement and that got me thinking, with the recent shit show here in Northern Ireland (NI protocol, brexit, stormont ect) do you think the following. I’m just curious lol

Is a united ireland coming soon ?

Would you support it ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes, not because I’m a nationalist, nationalism can be dangerous across Europe. Countries clearly keep their individual quirks even with the likes of the EU.

1. It makes sense for us to operate as one with most institutions.

2. UK don’t care about the north.

3. States shouldn’t be determined by religions!

4. Would even develop out tourism even more.

What we need to do.

1. Really start to embrace our Protestant traditions. Many towns in south have a strong population.

2. Fund!! Yes there will be a cost but Germany managed, so would we.

3. The people directly connected to the troubles need to retire and fully step back, on both sides.

I’d love see it happen. I want Derry to be called Derry..

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

NI politics is a shitshow. How would unionism be represented in a united Irish political system. Would we trust that they would stand by any agreement they made?

No and no

Unfortunately it will never happen in our lifetime. Too much hatred on both sides of the political spectrum in the North. Id love to see a united Ireland but ill live with a peaceful one

Don’t feel it’s going to happen any time soon and I would’ve be supportive of a united Ireland

"NI politics is a shitshow. How would unionism be represented in a united Irish political system. Would we trust that they would stand by any agreement they made?"

Unionism wouldn’t exist any longer. Some party that represents their ethos would develop and would represent their individual needs not addressed by normal society.

It has to happen, as you say it’s a shit show.

But, the Good Friday agreement worked. I remember the awful scenes on tv every night, stirred by evil on all sides.

It’s not the Protestants or unionists faults, it’s because of the system that the British imposed. We need to make friends with out DUP and UUP and the rest. It’s a shame David Irvine passed so young. He was progressive.

"No and no"

I think the OP was hoping for a discussion rather than a pointless response!

OP, you are living it. What are you thoughts?

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I'd be happy if I could just use Euro when I go to Belfast for socials and Hotels

The politicians on both sides of the border have made a complete bollox of people's lives

There's nothing to say they could make it any better with more people in a bigger country

I also think there's too many divisions

Just some easy questions to ponder

Whats the flag going to look like

Whats the national anthem

NHS or HSE

Capital ....Dublin or Belfast

I don't know. I honestly feel at this stage that we both have our own unique identity and that's OK might just be time to move on

East / North, Cork

"NI politics is a shitshow. How would unionism be represented in a united Irish political system. Would we trust that they would stand by any agreement they made?

Unionism wouldn’t exist any longer. Some party that represents their ethos would develop and would represent their individual needs not addressed by normal society.

It has to happen, as you say it’s a shit show.

But, the Good Friday agreement worked. I remember the awful scenes on tv every night, stirred by evil on all sides.

It’s not the Protestants or unionists faults, it’s because of the system that the British imposed. We need to make friends with out DUP and UUP and the rest. It’s a shame David Irvine passed so young. He was progressive."

Unionism would not cease to exist. Just because a vote allowed reunification, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't oppose it. They would just turn into a movement to re-seperate again. They would still be a powerful voting force in northern counties. They would win diall seats. They could and would mobilise. You're right we would need to make friends and try to integrate, but the political ideology wouldn't just merge.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I think and hope it will happen eventually but it won't be anytime soon.

"No and no

I think the OP was hoping for a discussion rather than a pointless response!"

Why is my response pointless?

He asked two questions and I answered them.

No I don't think a United Ireland is imminent, and no I can't currently support it as there is no blueprint for what it would even look like

"I'd be happy if I could just use Euro when I go to Belfast for socials and Hotels

The politicians on both sides of the border have made a complete bollox of people's lives

There's nothing to say they could make it any better with more people in a bigger country

NHS or HSE

"

Exactly BM. Like what happens to NI contributions already paid. That's our health care and pensions. And that's just one aspect

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I have no thoughts on the matter because every time I think about it 3 words come to mind.

Brewery

Piss

Up

"I'd be happy if I could just use Euro when I go to Belfast for socials and Hotels

NHS or HSE

Exactly BM. Like what happens to NI contributions already paid. That's our health care and pensions. And that's just one aspect"

Flag is already sorted, green for nationalists, white for peace and orange for Protestants. Maybe now is the time to go rainbow colours flag! Would represent the new Ireland, one of mixed races, sexuality and religion. Let’s move on!!

By *andyman.snrMan  over a year ago

leixlip

the hunger for a united Ireland is not there , it's more a shrug of the shoulders and " ehh, whatever" .

So the extremes will win out .

I can't see the benefits , but thats through my narrow lens.

"I don't know. I honestly feel at this stage that we both have our own unique identity and that's OK might just be time to move on"

I agree, I certainly don't see any particular advantage in joining the two.

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

NHS or HSE

"

Cork obviously . That one is easy

Belfast

Just realised I do have thoughts on it.

Right now most people in Northern Ireland are more concerned with the cost of living than the cost of leaving.

on the hill NordWest of

"NI politics is a shitshow. How would unionism be represented in a united Irish political system. Would we trust that they would stand by any agreement they made?"

The unionists are not that far apart from the turbo catholics: no abortion, no LGBTQ rights, no Darwinism, no sex before marriage, no family planning and no contraception etc.

If you look at FF and FG, they were also sworn enemies and suddenly they're holding hands in a coalition with the greens. So you never know, the strangest things can happen...

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Just realised I do have thoughts on it.

Right now most people in Northern Ireland are more concerned with the cost of living than the cost of leaving. "

If it became am United Ireland and became like the south their costs would sky rocket.Not to mention the cost of basic medical care down south.

By *reative ideasMan  over a year ago

Next door

Romanticism can be beautiful and dangerous!

East / North, Cork

"NI politics is a shitshow. How would unionism be represented in a united Irish political system. Would we trust that they would stand by any agreement they made?

The unionists are not that far apart from the turbo catholics: no abortion, no LGBTQ rights, no Darwinism, no sex before marriage, no family planning and no contraception etc.

If you look at FF and FG, they were also sworn enemies and suddenly they're holding hands in a coalition with the greens. So you never know, the strangest things can happen... "

You are not wrong. The irony is there really isn't much between them. As a brit in Ireland with a culturally catholic partner... on the rare occasion we need to do church wedding or something, there is nearly no difference between the services as far as I can remember from attending protestant churches as a kid. She once expressed surprise that protestants took communion lol. With regards social issues a bigot is a bigot. Social class is a bigger factor than your allocated religion.

By *odge72Man  over a year ago

Nenagh

By any economic metric

NI is a failed state

A few simple facts

NI currently has a population 36% of the Republics

1.1920 2 counties Down and Antrim had 80% of the total economic output of the Island, today the total NI economic output is 8% of this islands output.

If NI was in any fit state economically, it would be contributing a third or more.

2.The Size of the Republics economy is €400bn odd, the size of NI's is £40bn odd

NI's economy should be treble what it is, £120bn odd

3.Exports

ROI total exports €160bn odd,2020 up 8% on 2019

NI total exports £7bn odd

the reality is that the increase in the Republic exports between 2019 and 2020 is greater than NI total exports tells its own story.

4.Cross Border Exports by value pre protocol

34% NI exports to the Republic

1% ROI exports to NI

And this is before you try to get NI to level up to the ROI socially educationally etc

I would be fully in favour of a United Ireland but it’s going to take a decade at least to get everything discussed and in place before even a vote could be considered in my view

East / North, Cork

"the hunger for a united Ireland is not there , it's more a shrug of the shoulders and " ehh, whatever" .

I can't see the benefits , but thats through my narrow lens."

There is an attractive, but hopelessly nieve side to those who were brought up around rebel songs and sold the dream... but the reality of actual reunification would be a far cry from the fluffy green-pastured Ireland that was pictured back then, and would be a modern amalgamation of cultures filled with compromises, difficult decisions, and financial hardship.

If you look at FF and FG, they were also sworn enemies and suddenly they're holding hands in a coalition with the greens. So you never know, the strangest things can happen...

You are not wrong. The irony is there really isn't much between them. As a brit in Ireland with a culturally catholic partner... on the rare occasion we need to do church wedding or something, there is nearly no difference between the services as far as I can remember from attending protestant churches as a kid. She once expressed surprise that protestants took communion lol. With regards social issues a bigot is a bigot. Social class is a bigger factor than your allocated religion. "

The C of E / C of I services are similar to Catholic services. Visit any Presbyterian/Methodist/Elim/Free Presbyterian Church and you'll find a completely different story.

"By any economic metric

NI is a failed state

A few simple facts

1.1920 2 counties Down and Antrim had 80% of the total economic output of the Island, today the total NI economic output is 8% of this islands output.

If NI was in any fit state economically, it would be contributing a third or more.

2.The Size of the Republics economy is €400bn odd, the size of NI's is £40bn odd

3.Exports

the reality is that the increase in the Republic exports between 2019 and 2020 is greater than NI total exports tells its own story.

1% ROI exports to NI

And this is before you try to get NI to level up to the ROI socially educationally etc

I would be fully in favour of a United Ireland but it’s going to take a decade at least to get everything discussed and in place before even a vote could be considered in my view

"

Incredible stats there. Basically shows it doesn’t work, it’s not getting it’s fair share of opportunity because the British imposed a system that won’t work. And I’m not a nationalist. No such thing as Irish or English. We are all a mix of vikings, Norman’s, spainish and some previous present tribes. Throw in some romans even though they didn’t get here officially but I’m sure their genes did.

Coming from a unionist background we've no problem with the idea of a united ireland

The problem is within the financial problems it brings with it ie health pension and the likes

The idea is that there would still be stormont running the North

How does the rest of ireland feel about the possibility of new flag and national anthem.

Do think there's a possibility in our lifetime

Nenagh

"the hunger for a united Ireland is not there , it's more a shrug of the shoulders and " ehh, whatever" .

I can't see the benefits , but thats through my narrow lens.

There is an attractive, but hopelessly nieve side to those who were brought up around rebel songs and sold the dream... but the reality of actual reunification would be a far cry from the fluffy green-pastured Ireland that was pictured back then, and would be a modern amalgamation of cultures filled with compromises, difficult decisions, and financial hardship."

Sounds a lot like Brexit

And yet that didn’t stop you British from wanting to be both “independent” and “sovereign”

Hopefully we will have observed and learnt that when we do decide to vote on a United Ireland sober costed and considered planning will have been done

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man  over a year ago

Glenavy

United Ireland is already in motion, it’s moving extremely slowly but it’s in motion

The NI protocol has united Ireland economically, pooling health resources will help both govts reduce the massive backlogs and currency change will be a good bit down the line.

Unionism is on its knees, there’ll be very little to accommodate. Most young people coming through the north care more about jobs and the economy than Liz and the crown.

Look at the orange order as an example, the vast majority are middle aged and upwards, the youth isn’t coming through

After the GFA political unionism focused on cronyism and lining their pockets whilst the paramilitaries went full time into drug dealing. The political grassroots doesn’t exist

I think people from the south or the Uk pay far too much heed to the DUP press, simply put most people don’t agree with them

"By any economic metric

NI is a failed state

A few simple facts

3.Exports

1% ROI exports to NI

"

I've read that exact post somewhere before where did you get it?

Nenagh

In Relation to How good the NI NHS is

Waiting List Figures as at 31/12/20

NI NHS 

Waiting for OP appointment  300,000 

Waiting for operation/procedure 100,000

HSE

Waiting for OP appointment 613,000

Waiting for procedure 63,000

So with 36% of the population of the Republic

Pro Rata and using the "shitshow" of the HSE as the benchmark for the waiting list metrics

The NI NHS should have 220,000 on waiting lists appointments ,instead it has 80,00 more at 300,000

"Coming from a unionist background we've no problem with the idea of a united ireland

The problem is within the financial problems it brings with it ie health pension and the likes

How does the rest of ireland feel about the possibility of new flag and national anthem.

Do think there's a possibility in our lifetime "

I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Glenavy

"In Relation to How good the NI NHS is

NI NHS 

HSE

Pro Rata and using the "shitshow" of the HSE as the benchmark for the waiting list metrics

The NI NHS should have 220,000 on waiting lists appointments ,instead it has 80,00 more at 300,000

"

Not that simple

There was no govt for 3 years, so no health minister, no new investment, no decisions for 3 years plus covid on top

Some A&Es are phone ahead for a slot only at the minute, which kind of take away the whole point of it being an A&E

When managed and funded correctly the NHS is a great service

By *hyeyesMan  over a year ago

meath

The Brittish Conservatives will either give a majority Sinn Fein the united Ireland or call us a rogue state and invade

They have always considerd Ireland to be part of the British Isles .

East / North, Cork

"Coming from a unionist background we've no problem with the idea of a united ireland

Do think there's a possibility in our lifetime "

I'd welcome a new flag and a new anthem.... I can't see the Republic agreeing to having a seperate government in Stormont though. 1 country, 1 centre of power. Unionism could be represented via elected officials.

East / North, Cork

"

The Brittish Conservatives will either give a majority Sinn Fein the united Ireland or call us a rogue state and invade

"

The protocol for a United ireland is already decided, and its the people living on this island that will vote, not Westminster. Its down to us to get our shit together.

Nenagh

NI NHS 

HSE

Not that simple

There was no govt for 3 years, so no health minister, no new investment, no decisions for 3 years plus covid on top

Some A&Es are phone ahead for a slot only at the minute, which kind of take away the whole point of it being an A&E

"

I think you’ll find that the figures were only up to 2020 which don’t include the full impact of covid on either health services

The fact that there was no health minister in place points to the dysfunctionality of northern politics

Thems the waiting list figures whether you like them or not

And they haven’t improved in the meantime either

By *omtom7Man  over a year ago

Tralee

In theory yes, a great idea for all the obvious reasons.

In reality, unless the very strong unionist voices finally realise that England couldn't give two fucks about them, then your really only swapping grievances from one side to the other and all the associated problems that will bring.

on the hill NordWest of

When Eastern and Western Germany got reunited there were similar issues regarding costs, economy, health service etc. etc. Chancellor Kohl just plunged the nations into it, because the more you think about it the trickier it gets. There's always solutions to those things, even to your pension contributions, they won't get lost. Just make sure the UK has to pay reparations for the next two decades or so....

"When Eastern and Western Germany got reunited there were similar issues regarding costs, economy, health service etc. etc. Chancellor Kohl just plunged the nations into it, because the more you think about it the trickier it gets. There's always solutions to those things, even to your pension contributions, they won't get lost. Just make sure the UK has to pay reparations for the next two decades or so.... "

Do you think the longer period od separation males the differences and changes a little more ingrained though.

By enlarge the German reunification was within the same generation of people.

"United Ireland is already in motion, it’s moving extremely slowly but it’s in motion

The NI protocol has united Ireland economically, pooling health resources will help both govts reduce the massive backlogs and currency change will be a good bit down the line.

Unionism is on its knees, there’ll be very little to accommodate. Most young people coming through the north care more about jobs and the economy than Liz and the crown.

Look at the orange order as an example, the vast majority are middle aged and upwards, the youth isn’t coming through

After the GFA political unionism focused on cronyism and lining their pockets whilst the paramilitaries went full time into drug dealing. The political grassroots doesn’t exist

I think people from the south or the Uk pay far too much heed to the DUP press, simply put most people don’t agree with them"

Tend to agree with you on this one

Its similar to the split between church and state down here, catholicism ruled every decision til the late 80's and look us now.

The same is happening up North, people want a break from the 'traditional' politics and it's slowly gaining momentum. NI voted to stay in the EU, and now voted a Sinn Fein majority in Stormont.

I just think a united island makes sense. For years NI seemed like some alien land, scary and unwelcoming. Now I go visiting and see its just another beautiful part of the country with a dubious selection of crisps !!

Glenavy

"United Ireland is already in motion, it’s moving extremely slowly but it’s in motion

I think people from the south or the Uk pay far too much heed to the DUP press, simply put most people don’t agree with them

Its similar to the split between church and state down here, catholicism ruled every decision til the late 80's and look us now.

The same is happening up North, people want a break from the 'traditional' politics and it's slowly gaining momentum. NI voted to stay in the EU, and now voted a Sinn Fein majority in Stormont.

I just think a united island makes sense. For years NI seemed like some alien land, scary and unwelcoming. Now I go visiting and see its just another beautiful part of the country with a dubious selection of crisps !!

"

The tayto situation can be accommodated however southern diary milk is a non-negotiable

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"

"

The convservatives have no real interest in the North at this stage. They showed that during Brexit. They'll publicly fight for it because they will be seen as having too but behind closes doors they will be delighted to be rid of it.

And that's the problem with the North, the reality is no one really wants it because it is such a burden.

NI NHS 

HSE

Not that simple

I think you’ll find that the figures were only up to 2020 which don’t include the full impact of covid on either health services

The fact that there was no health minister in place points to the dysfunctionality of northern politics

And they haven’t improved in the meantime either "

It's not just hospital waiting lists though. Out NHS health care also includes GPs, dentistry and free prescriptions for all. That's a huge rug to pull out from under people's feet. Not to mention the benefits system

"

A small correction. Sinn Fein are the largest party in Stormont. The actual majority is still a unionist one. That's not nitpicking by the way, but a reality that might be very important further down the line. And it would be foolish do dismiss moderate unionists who, although this time may have voted on the real issues of the day, would go hardline should the question of unification became a real prospect

somewhere

The truth is that The British government are the only ones that can hold the referendum

If they never give the go ahead ....it knocks it on the head from the start

At the moment I don't think a majority in the north would vote yes and I wonder will there ever be a majority

"The truth is that The British government are the only ones that can hold the referendum

At the moment I don't think a majority in the north would vote yes and I wonder will there ever be a majority "

Would there have to be a referendum also in the South since we gave up our right following Good Friday agreement?

East / North, Cork

"The truth is that The British government are the only ones that can hold the referendum

At the moment I don't think a majority in the north would vote yes and I wonder will there ever be a majority

Would there have to be a referendum also in the South since we gave up our right following Good Friday agreement? "

It's not absolutely necessary in the Republic... but might be a good idea. A referendum would be needed in the North.

Nenagh

Would there have to be a referendum also in the South since we gave up our right following Good Friday agreement?

It's not absolutely necessary in the Republic... but might be a good idea. A referendum would be needed in the North."

Under the terms of the GFA

It’s with the remit of NI Sec of State to grant one when he or she sees fit

Nenagh

NI NHS 

HSE

Not that simple

And they haven’t improved in the meantime either

It's not just hospital waiting lists though. Out NHS health care also includes GPs, dentistry and free prescriptions for all. That's a huge rug to pull out from under people's feet. Not to mention the benefits system "

I think you might need to check up on the likes of the dole in the republic v NI

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

This discussion always ends up about people's greed and self interests. Health, education, pensions etc. will all need to be manged like anything else as part of pre-referendum discussions. They are not a reason to avoid a referendum. Flags, Anthems Capitals will all be worked out and of course things will change, why wouldn't they!

We will not be jumping into this stupidly like the British did with Brexit and we won't be influenced by tabloid headlines or sleazy grifter politicians either.

A referendum of this importance is not really about us. It's of massive historical importance. It will reverberate around the world. This is a referendum for the benefit of future generations.

It will be sooner than most think and it will be approved. The majority of us here will live in a United Ireland.

The tayto situation can be accommodated however southern diary milk is a non-negotiable"

Acceptable terms.

Can you remove the abomination that is tayto-chocolate from the shelves and we have a deal.

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"This discussion always ends up about people's greed and self interests. Health, education, pensions etc. will all need to be manged like anything else as part of pre-referendum discussions. They are not a reason to avoid a referendum. Flags, Anthems Capitals will all be worked out and of course things will change, why wouldn't they!

We will not be jumping into this stupidly like the British did with Brexit and we won't be influenced by tabloid headlines or sleazy grifter politicians either.

A referendum of this importance is not really about us. It's of massive historical importance. It will reverberate around the world. This is a referendum for the benefit of future generations.

It will be sooner than most think and it will be approved. The majority of us here will live in a United Ireland. "

People's self interests and greed also extend to wanting it for reasons like "massive historical importance". Which quite frankly, is a fairly poor reason to ignore the significant negative impact it will have on people's lives.

"Sooo I know this is going to be controversial but hey here goes… finished watching derry girls last night with the good Friday agreement and that got me thinking, with the recent shit show here in Northern Ireland (NI protocol, brexit, stormont ect) do you think the following. I’m just curious lol

Would you support it ?"

No I wouldn't support it.. The English taxpayer is bankrolling NI with a block grant of 10 billion sterling every year, now where in the name of God do you think the government in the Republic are going to find that kind of money, expect to pay 50% income tax at least to fund such a pipe dream and I for 1 really don't want that it's difficult enough to live with the current cost of living crisis without adding that to it, I think any northerner would have a screw loose if they were in favour of a united Ireland, tax increases, say goodbye to free dental care and free education, its not free in the Republic whatever spin they put on it, its a pipe dream and certainly won't happen in my lifetime..

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

cc

"Sooo I know this is going to be controversial but hey here goes… finished watching derry girls last night with the good Friday agreement and that got me thinking, with the recent shit show here in Northern Ireland (NI protocol, brexit, stormont ect) do you think the following. I’m just curious lol

Would you support it ?"

Most people in the North would wish to retain the NHS and their educational system, as both are perceived to be better. Not sure how that one can get got around.

"This discussion always ends up about people's greed and self interests. Health, education, pensions etc. will all need to be manged like anything else as part of pre-referendum discussions. They are not a reason to avoid a referendum. Flags, Anthems Capitals will all be worked out and of course things will change, why wouldn't they!

It will be sooner than most think and it will be approved. The majority of us here will live in a United Ireland. "

I'm sorry but if people feel theor own interests are best served by not unifying who exactly would we be unifying for?

It will be sooner than most think and it will be approved. The majority of us here will live in a United Ireland.

I'm sorry but if people feel theor own interests are best served by not unifying who exactly would we be unifying for?"

The future.

Business: two currencies so close, crazy.

EU: it’s the future, it’s stability, equity of labour laws.

Merge institutions:

Tourism: think of the opportunity’s

Funding: there would be a massive injection of funding from various. UKx EU, USA

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

I do believe we will see a united ireland in the next 25 years, maybe sooner. Partition really has been a disaster from its formation.

There will be teething problems once the country is united. That's a given! Some innocent catholics will be murdered but that will only be in its infacey but overall, thst will filter out.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

United Ireland :how do people feel about the prospect of orange order marches on o connell st in limerick, Dublin or patrick st in Cork. As much as they will have to accept our traditions we will have to accept theirs. United Ireland means all in.

galway

[Removed by poster at 20/05/22 20:56:57]

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Would you support it ?"

I believe I will see it in my life time and I would support fully.

galway

"United Ireland :how do people feel about the prospect of orange order marches on o connell st in limerick, Dublin or patrick st in Cork. As much as they will have to accept our traditions we will have to accept theirs. United Ireland means all in. "

Thsts just silly! They won't be marching in our capital.

By *acob12369Man  over a year ago

URPANTS

[Removed by poster at 20/05/22 21:01:16]

By *acob12369Man  over a year ago

URPANTS

Then some innocent protestants and non religion and then more innocent gardai blown to bits. United ireland will never happen as the threat of violence will never go away and the unionists see themselves as british and always will. Will just bring violence to the south

galway

I'm sorry but if people feel theor own interests are best served by not unifying who exactly would we be unifying for?"

What would we be unifying for Have! Have you read the proclamation ?

There has always been an uprising from the Irish people to self govern all parts of this island and to be free from the British. It will happen one day, thats inevitable abd it's sooner than what some think.

galway

At the moment I don't think a majority in the north would vote yes and I wonder will there ever be a majority "

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm near sure Once the referendum is called, even if it is a no, its in the good Friday agreement that there's to be another every decade from the first.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

"United Ireland :how do people feel about the prospect of orange order marches on o connell st in limerick, Dublin or patrick st in Cork. As much as they will have to accept our traditions we will have to accept theirs. United Ireland means all in.

Thsts just silly! They won't be marching in our capital. "

why not it will be their capital too

Glenavy

The tayto situation can be accommodated however southern diary milk is a non-negotiable

Acceptable terms.

Can you remove the abomination that is tayto-chocolate from the shelves and we have a deal.

"

Tayto chocolate is getting kneecapped as we speak

I'm sorry but if people feel theor own interests are best served by not unifying who exactly would we be unifying for?

What would we be unifying for Have! Have you read the proclamation ?

There has always been an uprising from the Irish people to self govern all parts of this island and to be free from the British. It will happen one day, thats inevitable abd it's sooner than what some think.

"

I mean that means nothing to me.

Again if I weigh the pros and cons and decide I'd be better off as things are than some old lines on a map I don't see that as particularly selfish

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

Hopefully not until prices drop here for food and cleaning products and the minimum alcohol pricing is thrown out with the rest of the nanny state shite.

Until then, it's much cheaper to nip up the road than have to catch a ferry for the same bargains

Until I get a new car I'll be voting no, my cars speed display only has mph. Would I support it, probably not to be honest. I doubt my job would be secure and be out of job and other reasons mentioned above. But if the people vote for it i am in. But euros and metric are over my head. I'll learn them just incase

East / North, Cork

"Until I get a new car I'll be voting no, my cars speed display only has mph. Would I support it, probably not to be honest. I doubt my job would be secure and be out of job and other reasons mentioned above. But if the people vote for it i am in. But euros and metric are over my head. I'll learn them just incase"

Lol... of all the reasons that a United ireland might not work... your reasons are the worst

..because of the kph on your car speedometer. Just wow

East / North, Cork

"Hopefully not until prices drop here for food and cleaning products and the minimum alcohol pricing is thrown out with the rest of the nanny state shite.

Until then, it's much cheaper to nip up the road than have to catch a ferry for the same bargains "

Actually scratch that... losing out on cheap booze is a pretty shitty reason also.

By *weetjuice21Man  over a year ago

Leinster

Yes its coming, political correctness ans sensible white people making rules.

I support a united ireland, but will be big problems imo.

somewhere

"Until I get a new car I'll be voting no, my cars speed display only has mph. Would I support it, probably not to be honest. I doubt my job would be secure and be out of job and other reasons mentioned above. But if the people vote for it i am in. But euros and metric are over my head. I'll learn them just incase"

You could get a car that has a digital display so that either mph or km could be displayed

Euro's are easy...when its money you learn pretty quickly if you're being ripped off or not

Are all measurements in the north not in metric anyway ....I'd find that difficult to go to weights in pounds and ounces....but feet and inches are very easy to change in your head to to cm and metres

Politics is only one issue. Finance is the big one. Where is the money going to come from to support the new country.

In the north prescriptions and visits to GPs are free. In the south you pay for everything.

Where is the money going to come from to pay for the police, fire and medical personnel from the north that are going to be needed to provide the services in the north.

And these are only two of the issues that people have discussed with me. Not to mention unemployment and education concerns and all this at the start of a possible world recession.

I can't honestly see it happening in my life time.

By *urganguyMan  over a year ago

around

"No and no

I think the OP was hoping for a discussion rather than a pointless response!

Why is my response pointless?

He asked two questions and I answered them.

No I don't think a United Ireland is imminent, and no I can't currently support it as there is no blueprint for what it would even look like"

Agree 100%, its not for sale at any cost

Belfast

My dentist has patients who travel from all across Ireland. Some stay over the night before or after and it still works out much cheaper.

That would only be one enormous financial hurdle that individuals would have to learn to overcome because wages would not automatically increase overnight.

People up here get paid much less for doing exactly the same job as their colleagues across the border working for the same companies so those particular companies would have the increased costs of ensuring parity.

25 years ago I was working for a company that bought out a competitor. Even though both operated solely in NI, they had completely different customer service policies and different pay structures.

It was a complete disaster because in trying to keep everyone happy it turned out that no-one was content with the new arrangement and we lost 30% of staff and about 40% of our combined customer base including long standing clients who just didn't like change.

Unifying a country is romantic but even if it is achieved it doesn't mean the people will be unified and happy to work together for the betterment of the entire country.

There will always be apologists and those who don't like change and who will actively work to undermine everything that is achieved.

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 21/05/22 08:35:19]

East / North, Cork

"Politics is only one issue. Finance is the big one. Where is the money going to come from to support the new country.

In the north prescriptions and visits to GPs are free. In the south you pay for everything.

Where is the money going to come from to pay for the police, fire and medical personnel from the north that are going to be needed to provide the services in the north.

And these are only two of the issues that people have discussed with me. Not to mention unemployment and education concerns and all this at the start of a possible world recession.

I can't honestly see it happening in my life time.

"

Can't argue with any of this. NI is living well beyond its means right now. If British money stopped flowing then they would be bouncing cheques in no time. The Republic can't afford to bail them out to the same money. They would have to face the fact that the free stuff is gonna disappear.. and that I'd going to be massive political stumbling block.

If the Republic is giving out at losing the cheap booze... imagine what the nordys are gonna say aout the loss of free medical care and medicnes. Its too much to lose. It would be like asking Google to vote against the Internet.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

Putting it in simple terms....id be on the streets living if a united ireland happens. Im not on any benefits here but your cost of living in the south I just couldn't survive with my wage

Belfast

I managed a warehouse for a company who have other warehouses in Dublin and areas of England.

One of the managers in Derby left and his role was advertised with a starting salary of £37k.

In a discussion with the Dublin manager I learned that was in line with what he was on which was just shy of £42k.

Bearing in mind that all warehouses had exactly the same floorspace and staff numbers I was amazed at the discrepancy because I was on £27k.

Who will cover the cost of bringing things like that into line?

Don't know where this drive for a United Ireland has come from, its only in the last few years its been at the forefront in the media, people have good lives in NI now, the troubles are over and most people want to get on with the mundane stuff in life.. Why upset the apple cart?

By *ursecretmischiefCouple  over a year ago

The West

"I managed a warehouse for a company who have other warehouses in Dublin and areas of England.

One of the managers in Derby left and his role was advertised with a starting salary of £37k.

In a discussion with the Dublin manager I learned that was in line with what he was on which was just shy of £42k.

Bearing in mind that all warehouses had exactly the same floorspace and staff numbers I was amazed at the discrepancy because I was on £27k.

Who will cover the cost of bringing things like that into line? "

Who will cover the cost?...

The company that are making easy money of your back!

Company in Derby, Dublin and I bet in Glasgow all pay similar...but not Belfast.

Is your company cheaper for customers in Belfast than Derby? Like 30-40% cheaper?

Belfast

"I managed a warehouse for a company who have other warehouses in Dublin and areas of England.

Who will cover the cost of bringing things like that into line?

Who will cover the cost?...

The company that are making easy money of your back!

Company in Derby, Dublin and I bet in Glasgow all pay similar...but not Belfast.

Is your company cheaper for customers in Belfast than Derby? Like 30-40% cheaper?"

I'm not with them anymore so no idea. I had no involvement with the cost of their products going out to customers as that wasn't part of my remit so I have no way of comparing.

It's not unusual though as I've worked in other roles where I've checked at various stages on what was being offered to managers and supervisors doing my job for our competitors and they were all exactly the same as what I was already on which is why I didn't move across to any of them.

somewhere

I work freelance for a company based in Belfast

I could be working anywhere in the country for them alongside some people from Belfast doing the exact same job

The pay is 5 euro an hour more for me over them

Nenagh

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm near sure Once the referendum is called, even if it is a no, its in the good Friday agreement that there's to be another every decade from the first. "

A common misconception that one has to be called every 7 years

Simply not the case

"I work freelance for a company based in Belfast

I could be working anywhere in the country for them alongside some people from Belfast doing the exact same job

The pay is 5 euro an hour more for me over them

"

NI is a low wage economy as is most of the rest of the UK, a low wage economy ensures that goods and services are affordable for all, high wages are not necessarily a good thing, if we all got paid high wages the cost of goods and services would rocket making it unaffordable for most people, in actual fact spending power would be greatly reduced in a high wage economy so yea who doesn't want more money but if everything is going to be more expensive too then it cancels itself out, of course that's what we are seeing at the moment with high inflation and we have unions lobbying for pay increases, do they actually realise that the cost of goods and services will NEVER return to its original cost if this happens.

"Until I get a new car I'll be voting no, my cars speed display only has mph. Would I support it, probably not to be honest. I doubt my job would be secure and be out of job and other reasons mentioned above. But if the people vote for it i am in. But euros and metric are over my head. I'll learn them just incase

You could get a car that has a digital display so that either mph or km could be displayed

Euro's are easy...when its money you learn pretty quickly if you're being ripped off or not

Are all measurements in the north not in metric anyway ....I'd find that difficult to go to weights in pounds and ounces....but feet and inches are very easy to change in your head to to cm and metres

"

Hehe obvs wouldnt vote no because of my car! It's more jobs, if something is done to protect all workers in civil service and nhs (which is a shit tonne of people) then 1 less thing to worry about. But to me several things to worry about. Pensions, people on disability, jobs, and other stuff. once it's all sorted and problems addressed and explained by someone that I believe will deliver on promises, I'd definately consider it. Northern Ireland has moved forward in ways that would have been unimaginable from when I was wee, I wouldnt want something done hastily and not considering the future of everyone to ruin all that. I love it here, the whole island is awesome and full of awesome people. Obvs some tosspots about but same everywhere

galway

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm near sure Once the referendum is called, even if it is a no, its in the good Friday agreement that there's to be another every decade from the first.

A common misconception that one has to be called every 7 years

Simply not the case"

There is something in the agreement about 7 years thou.

galway

When the time comes for a referendum, can you see any political parties pushing for a no vote. Surely all the main parties would be pushing for a yes vote.

somewhere

"When the time comes for a referendum, can you see any political parties pushing for a no vote. Surely all the main parties would be pushing for a yes vote. "

In northern Ireland ...

galway

"When the time comes for a referendum, can you see any political parties pushing for a no vote. Surely all the main parties would be pushing for a yes vote.

In northern Ireland ..."

In the 26 counties. There has to be one here also when a referendum is called.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Only getting back on to check all this and wow I’m blown away by the responses I see a few people asking my opinion,

My personal opinion is no I don’t want a united ireland and no I would not vote for it. That’s coming from a catholic from derry, both mum and dad are from the Creggan estate. My honest opinion for that is the cost of everything, emergency services, health care ect

By *ork fellaMan  over a year ago

Macroom

Would you support it ?"

I think a vote on it will happen within 10 years.I would support it as I feel a United Ireland would benefit the island as a whole long term.A huge amount of work will have to be done first though.A lot of give and take on big issues would need to happen also and that is going to be the hardest part of it.

Nenagh

[Removed by poster at 23/05/22 17:35:51]

Nenagh

Weekly Dole

Ireland €208

UK £77 (c. €91)

Weekly State Pension

Ireland €248.30

UK £129.20 (c. €154)

By *parmaghCouple  over a year ago

Newry

There will be a vote on it I think in the next 10 years. In fairness they all say it cant be like Brexit where no one knew what they where voting for really.

I would think if it is a yes vote it will be a phased process over 10 or 15 years.

East / North, Cork

"There will be a vote on it I think in the next 10 years. In fairness they all say it cant be like Brexit where no one knew what they where voting for really.

I would think if it is a yes vote it will be a phased process over 10 or 15 years."

I feel it would be exactly like brexit. The people that voted for brexit didn't know the detail of how it would work. They voted partly out of principal and partly because of the claims made by Boris in the campaign on the run up to the referendum. Claims which we know now were often bullshit. The Irish unity referendum will be the same. All vensted interests will tell us any kind of lies about that a united ireland will look like in order to get the vote over the line, and then they will worry about the detail and the damage that will be done afterwards. It will be just as much a shitshow as brexit was.

By *ifestooshort9999Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

"

Incredible stats there. Basically shows it doesn’t work, it’s not getting it’s fair share of opportunity because the British imposed a system that won’t work. And I’m not a nationalist. No such thing as Irish or English. We are all a mix of vikings, Norman’s, spainish and some previous present tribes. Throw in some romans even though they didn’t get here officially but I’m sure their genes did."

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. Irish people have the highest percent of pre historic DNA at 90%, England has about 56% pre historic DNA.

The vikings were only grant 5 ports in Ireland, and they rarely left them and their hinterlands. After a generation or two they inter married and became hiberno-norse and they were the ones who remained here. When the vikings took over England, they had one king to beat, when they arrived in Ireland there were around 185 kingdoms, so no easy task here, and this is why they were granted 5 trading ports instead.

The Norman's were not here in big numbers either, as for the first 400 years they were pretty much confined to the pale, with any remaing ones again inter marrying. After this they mixed very little with the Irish.

As for the celts, it's widely accepted now that the 300 year old theory of any invasion of Ireland from the celts is unlikely, and intfact it is more likely that celtic culture spread from the west to the east starting from the Atlantic trade system, and not the other way around as previously thought.

And we certainly never had any Romans except for trade and that would not affect genetics in anyway!

So basically, we have the highest % of pre historic DNA, and therefore are most certainly not a diluted people geneticly.

As for the Ulster scots, their ancestors are a mix of not only the picts, but the Irish! The Irish settled the west coast of Scotland from the 4th to 9th centuries, inter marrying with picts to the point the pictish culture disappeared, leaving only the Gaelic/Irish culture and language. The word Scotland itself comes from the word Scoti, the Roman word for the Irish. The word Scotland basically means Ireland, so the ulster Scots are genetically much more Irish than they think!!

galway

"There will be a vote on it I think in the next 10 years. In fairness they all say it cant be like Brexit where no one knew what they where voting for really.

I would think if it is a yes vote it will be a phased process over 10 or 15 years.

I feel it would be exactly like brexit. The people that voted for brexit didn't know the detail of how it would work. They voted partly out of principal and partly because of the claims made by Boris in the campaign on the run up to the referendum. Claims which we know now were often bullshit. The Irish unity referendum will be the same. All vensted interests will tell us any kind of lies about that a united ireland will look like in order to get the vote over the line, and then they will worry about the detail and the damage that will be done afterwards. It will be just as much a shitshow as brexit was."

The damage thst will be done afterwards you say! Spoken as a true British person this is. Irish unity will be one of the most beautiful things ever to happen on this island. The irish will be free from British rule on the north east part of our country once and for all. This will not be damage. This is something ireland has struved for for centuries. Yes, we will have tough and interesting times in its infacey but thats to be expect. Sure we have tough times anyway every decade or so! Uniting the country is inevitable and the sooner it happens, the better!

I feel it would be exactly like brexit. The people that voted for brexit didn't know the detail of how it would work. They voted partly out of principal and partly because of the claims made by Boris in the campaign on the run up to the referendum. Claims which we know now were often bullshit. The Irish unity referendum will be the same. All vensted interests will tell us any kind of lies about that a united ireland will look like in order to get the vote over the line, and then they will worry about the detail and the damage that will be done afterwards. It will be just as much a shitshow as brexit was.

The damage thst will be done afterwards you say! Spoken as a true British person this is. Irish unity will be one of the most beautiful things ever to happen on this island. The irish will be free from British rule on the north east part of our country once and for all. This will not be damage. This is something ireland has struved for for centuries. Yes, we will have tough and interesting times in its infacey but thats to be expect. Sure we have tough times anyway every decade or so! Uniting the country is inevitable and the sooner it happens, the better!"

And what place for unionists in this Irish idyll of yours. Those who are British. Those with proud Ulster Scots heritage. Those who don't share your vision of bliss

East / North, Cork

The damage thst will be done afterwards you say! Spoken as a true British person this is. Irish unity will be one of the most beautiful things ever to happen on this island. The irish will be free from British rule on the north east part of our country once and for all. This will not be damage. This is something ireland has struved for for centuries. Yes, we will have tough and interesting times in its infacey but thats to be expect. Sure we have tough times anyway every decade or so! Uniting the country is inevitable and the sooner it happens, the better!"

Irish unity at all costs is your opinion? There are very worried people from both communities on both sides of the current border. Going ahead with this without crossing the T's and dotting the I's, and just having faith that the politicians will sort it all out and it'll be grand... is madness. This could very weak fuck up the country for many years financially, and could potentially bring the return of violence. I understand and support the idea of unifying this island, but it needs to make sense and the devil is in the detail.

galway

The damage thst will be done afterwards you say! Spoken as a true British person this is. Irish unity will be one of the most beautiful things ever to happen on this island. The irish will be free from British rule on the north east part of our country once and for all. This will not be damage. This is something ireland has struved for for centuries. Yes, we will have tough and interesting times in its infacey but thats to be expect. Sure we have tough times anyway every decade or so! Uniting the country is inevitable and the sooner it happens, the better!

And what place for unionists in this Irish idyll of yours. Those who are British. Those with proud Ulster Scots heritage. Those who don't share your vision of bliss"

You(or they) have there part to play in a new ireland! All cultures are to be welcomed and respected in tge new ireland.

Newry

[Removed by poster at 23/05/22 22:36:16]

Newry

I feel it would be exactly like brexit. The people that voted for brexit didn't know the detail of how it would work. They voted partly out of principal and partly because of the claims made by Boris in the campaign on the run up to the referendum. Claims which we know now were often bullshit. The Irish unity referendum will be the same. All vensted interests will tell us any kind of lies about that a united ireland will look like in order to get the vote over the line, and then they will worry about the detail and the damage that will be done afterwards. It will be just as much a shitshow as brexit was."

Cant see it being like that. There will be alot of debate before it even gets to that stage. There should be a solid way in which it will work. The key to it is getting unionists to vote for it and I'm no fan of the eu but I think they will play a big part in it by pledging to pump €€€€€€€ into a united Ireland which will proberly sway the moderate unionists. Personally I dont mind the border seeing I'm living on it my whole life and get the best of both

But as an Irishman I'd always vote for a UI.

By *ifestooshort9999Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

"

And what place for unionists in this Irish idyll of yours. Those who are British. Those with proud Ulster Scots heritage. Those who don't share your vision of bliss"

I'm not sure of your extent of knowledge about life in the south, but I'm sure you must be aware that we have unionists living in the south already, we have orange lodges, orange marches, protestant churches, protestant schools, we play rugby, we have cricket teams, thousands of British people live here freely and can live happily knowing and being proud of their british past or heritage. Half of our politicians think they are British already. The head of out police force is a northern unionist ex-PSNI chief, there is a northern unionist politician sitting in government here....and no one gives a flying feck about any if it. Our national flag already represents you, I mean, I'm not bring smart, but what more is it that you would like? What more, in your opinion, needs to be done to make you feel comfortable?

Also, were you aware of any of the things I just mentioned, or were you under the false immpression that that this is not a far society?

Protestants are not second class citizens here, they're not oppressed or petrol bombed out of their homes, and they have equal rights to everyone else. Furthermore, most people in the South probably dislike the Catholic Church more than Ulster unionists!

What is your vision of bliss?

"

And what place for unionists in this Irish idyll of yours. Those who are British. Those with proud Ulster Scots heritage. Those who don't share your vision of bliss

I'm not sure of your extent of knowledge about life in the south, but I'm sure you must be aware that we have unionists living in the south already, we have orange lodges, orange marches, protestant churches, protestant schools, we play rugby, we have cricket teams, thousands of British people live here freely and can live happily knowing and being proud of their british past or heritage. Half of our politicians think they are British already. The head of out police force is a northern unionist ex-PSNI chief, there is a northern unionist politician sitting in government here....and no one gives a flying feck about any if it. Our national flag already represents you, I mean, I'm not bring smart, but what more is it that you would like? What more, in your opinion, needs to be done to make you feel comfortable?

Also, were you aware of any of the things I just mentioned, or were you under the false immpression that that this is not a far society?

Protestants are not second class citizens here, they're not oppressed or petrol bombed out of their homes, and they have equal rights to everyone else. Furthermore, most people in the South probably dislike the Catholic Church more than Ulster unionists!

What is your vision of bliss?

"

I'm not the one with the rose tinted view that a United Ireland will be some sort of manna from heaven. My challenge was simply that its exactly that kind of spiel which makes Northern Unionists kinda uncomfortable

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Irish politics north and south can be accurately encapsulated in one word:

A mindfuck!

I never vote; I never watch NIreland political discussions on the box, and I steer well clear of anyone who expresses party political views or elicits my opinions on thesubject.

Demographically it might happen at some time in the distant future, but I have more valuable and useful subjects on which to cogitate in the intervening period!

By *untimes_83Man  over a year ago

Belfast

NI NHS 

HSE

"

It's regulated though.

HSE is a farce, if only people knew what actually happens in comparison to what should happen. I'd rather wait for the proper treatment.

You can throw all the numbers you want around at that but the systems are totally different.

If people in the south had access to a totally free health care system the waiting list to be seen for less serious ailments would multiply.

I'd have my cancer or major surgery in the North any day of the week.

You're just another guy playing numbers on a spreadsheet without any real insight.

It would be great to see a united Ireland, it would be costly, it would also lead to arguements on the national anthem and the Tri Colour been the flag. Plus the unionist wouldn't accept it, so we would see alot of trouble in the 6 counties for a tike after the country been united, so the question is could we handle it as our army isn't big enough and we have an unarmed police force and financially I don't think we could afford it... but giving all of the above I would definitely love to see it Happen.

Nenagh

NI NHS 

HSE

It's regulated though.

HSE is a farce, if only people knew what actually happens in comparison to what should happen. I'd rather wait for the proper treatment.

You can throw all the numbers you want around at that but the systems are totally different.

If people in the south had access to a totally free health care system the waiting list to be seen for less serious ailments would multiply.

You're just another guy playing numbers on a spreadsheet without any real insight. "

Thems the facts

I know as a strident unionist you wouldn’t want to acknowledge the reality

You can harp on all you want about the systems being “different”

But if your on a waiting list your on a waiting list

And for the “free” NHS

It isn’t free either

"It would be great to see a united Ireland, it would be costly, it would also lead to arguements on the national anthem and the Tri Colour been the flag. Plus the unionist wouldn't accept it, so we would see alot of trouble in the 6 counties for a tike after the country been united, so the question is could we handle it as our army isn't big enough and we have an unarmed police force and financially I don't think we could afford it... but giving all of the above I would definitely love to see it Happen."

Don’t think the flag would be issue. Yes it would require a redesign but the general premise of green through peace to orange is pretty decent. Don’t see any green on the Union Jack!

Nenagh

Even in comparison to the UK nhs which is also failing

The NI NHS stands out

The Northern Irish healthcare system is arguably as well funded as in other parts of the UK. But statistics on its performance are stark

Both waiting list sizes and the waiting time for a first appointment in Northern Ireland are the worst in the UK. For example, in 2019, before the disruption of services caused by Covid-19, the number of people waiting over a year for a consultant-led outpatient appointment was 100 times greater in Northern Ireland than it was in England (allowing for differences in population size).

In December 2021, almost 85% of outpatient appointments breached the ministerial waiting time target of nine weeks, with over 52% of outpatients waiting more than a year to be seen. Further, 81.5% breached the 13-week waiting time target for admission for treatment, with almost 58% of patients waiting more than a year.

Of those waiting for a diagnostic test, almost 57% breached the target of nine weeks with over a third waiting more than 26 weeks

somewhere

Can't help thinking of the small details that will derail this before anything gets going on it at all to be honest

The British government are about to rip up an agreed Brexit deal

Whats to stop them doing the same with the Good Friday Agreement and refuse to call a referendum

The flag is a huge issue ....it would mean a complete new one

The currency.....its a huge issue

If The Irish language causes problems at the moment what do you think the official first language will be of any united Ireland

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"It would be great to see a united Ireland, it would be costly, it would also lead to arguements on the national anthem and the Tri Colour been the flag. Plus the unionist wouldn't accept it, so we would see alot of trouble in the 6 counties for a tike after the country been united, so the question is could we handle it as our army isn't big enough and we have an unarmed police force and financially I don't think we could afford it... but giving all of the above I would definitely love to see it Happen.

Don’t think the flag would be issue. Yes it would require a redesign but the general premise of green through peace to orange is pretty decent. Don’t see any green on the Union Jack!"

Interesting that some folk believe that orangeism ,and therefore the colour orange, is an accurate representation of unionist folk in Northern Ireland.

By *untimes_83Man  over a year ago

Belfast

NI NHS 

HSE

It's regulated though.

You're just another guy playing numbers on a spreadsheet without any real insight.

Thems the facts

And for the “free” NHS

It isn’t free either "

Wrong again pal, I'm not a unionist.

Regarding your post below again about waiting times. I'd rather wait and be seen and get the proper curative treatment in a multidisciplinary setting for my cancer or my major operation than have some unregulated made up hash of a service which is what the HSE offers.

As I said, you're a man quoting numbers on a spreadsheet rather than looking at what those numbers mean, the cancers, the cancer outcomes etc etc. That's what the NHS can provide than the HSC cannot. What's the point of no waiting time if everyone just gets shit treatment. You're starting to sound like a manager now in the health service, play the numbers game and paper over the cracks.

Those are the facts my friend.

Nenagh

NI NHS 

HSE

It's regulated though.

Thems the facts

And for the “free” NHS

It isn’t free either

Wrong again pal, I'm not a unionist.

Regarding your post below again about waiting times. I'd rather wait and be seen and get the proper curative treatment in a multidisciplinary setting for my cancer or my major operation than have some unregulated made up hash of a service which is what the HSE offers.

As I said, you're a man quoting numbers on a spreadsheet rather than looking at what those numbers mean, the cancers, the cancer outcomes etc etc. That's what the NHS can provide than the HSC cannot. What's the point of no waiting time if everyone just gets shit treatment. You're starting to sound like a manager now in the health service, play the numbers game and paper over the cracks.

Those are the facts my friend. "

Waffle

NHS or HSE

Exactly BM. Like what happens to NI contributions already paid. That's our health care and pensions. And that's just one aspect

Flag is already sorted, green for nationalists, white for peace and orange for Protestants. Maybe now is the time to go rainbow colours flag! Would represent the new Ireland, one of mixed races, sexuality and religion. Let’s move on!!"

Dear Jesus what is wrong with you

"It would be great to see a united Ireland, it would be costly, it would also lead to arguements on the national anthem and the Tri Colour been the flag. Plus the unionist wouldn't accept it, so we would see alot of trouble in the 6 counties for a tike after the country been united, so the question is could we handle it as our army isn't big enough and we have an unarmed police force and financially I don't think we could afford it... but giving all of the above I would definitely love to see it Happen.

Don’t think the flag would be issue. Yes it would require a redesign but the general premise of green through peace to orange is pretty decent. Don’t see any green on the Union Jack!

Interesting that some folk believe that orangeism ,and therefore the colour orange, is an accurate representation of unionist folk in Northern Ireland. "

Was passing comment on a potential flag. Was is an accurate representation, never, never, never!!

NHS or HSE

Flag is already sorted, green for nationalists, white for peace and orange for Protestants. Maybe now is the time to go rainbow colours flag! Would represent the new Ireland, one of mixed races, sexuality and religion. Let’s move on!!

Dear Jesus what is wrong with you "

In what regards? Don’t have great feet but other than that I’m happy enough!

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

Partition since inception has been a failure. Its had its run time to end it. Ireland is too small to be divided. Great things can be achieved under reunification. Reunion isn't and shouldn't be treated as a dirty word. It's something that should be embraced. Ulster unionism feared being dominated by a papists state. The shackles of that era are gone and Ireland is a secular society

By *ighRoadMan  over a year ago

Cork

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has 1 but no one wants to hear them.

» Add a new message to this topic