FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > False Widow Spiders

False Widow Spiders

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

One of the nastier effects of global warming and climate change, largely but wholly being caused by industrialisation, is the survival of invasive species such as the False Widow Spider from Madeira, which formerly would have died out, from the cold!

Has anyone ever seen one of these poisonous spiders, the venom of which is reputed to be painful, and potentially fatal in rare cases.

Do you know of anyone who has been bitten by one, to date?

If there are no postings, I will assume the spider story has been hyped by the media, during this so-called 'silly season', when real stories are in short supply.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astelloWoman  over a year ago

Tír na nÓg

I won't be able to sleep I have serious serious spider phobia...

Agreed Jubal... We only need to see what's happening in Pakistan to conclude what global warming has caused.

By *phrodite72Woman  over a year ago

dublin/galway

Oh lord now that's not a thought I needed in my head

Newry Down

"

I won't be able to sleep I have serious serious spider phobia...

Agreed Jubal... We only need to see what's happening in Pakistan to conclude what global warming has caused.

"

Incredibly, over 30% of Pakistan is under water at present, and pumps are useless because there is nowhere this deluge can be pumped to!

If you are interested in climate change, Google a new emerging scientific discipline called Cosmic Climatology.

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

They are absolutely everywhere. Saw my first in 2006 thought it was a black widow. Thankfully it wasnt.

They are as far as I know nocturnal mostly, and can live a very long time.

If you went out tonight and looked under your gutters you find a lot of them.

They apparently are not fond of the house spiders that have long legs and small bodies. So would suggest leaving them in the house.

By *appyhotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

Hate this time of year!!!

Those big lads that come into the house .

Sit there

Stare at you!

It’s like a game of chicken.

As soon as you move….

Baaaam

They run at you !!!!!!!

Hate the things

By *acob12369Man  over a year ago

URPANTS

where are all the wasps. Haven't seen any yet, only a few on here

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"where are all the wasps. Haven't seen any yet, only a few on here"

I spent half the day today dodging the hoors as they had taken up residence in the place I was working.

Lucan

I've only seen one false widow, along with a million false false widows as people panic when they see any spider that isn't the normal house spider and reckon it's a false widow.

I got bitten on the arm but something that I didn't get a proper look at a couple of years back. My arm swelled up, right from my elbow to my fingers and I started to get shoulder pains and a headache. Am injection of magic potion from my gp saved the day just as I was starting to pass out.

By *ollinrock77Man  over a year ago

mullingar

They won't bother you if you don't bother them

Newry Down

"They won't bother you if you don't bother them"

This is also true of Black Widow Spiders (the most lethal species) in Australia, where many people accidentally or inadvertently disturb one, which immediately and very aggressively attacks the intruder who has strayed into their territory.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Bit by one ended up in hospital with blood poison and severe pain and on crutches for a week

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Slightly off topic but did anyone see the video of the spider that caught the mouse. Holy god I wont sleep for a week after reading this thread and remembering .

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

"Slightly off topic but did anyone see the video of the spider that caught the mouse. Holy god I wont sleep for a week after reading this thread and remembering . "
yes she was a big one and i seriously hope it was a she

I see hundreds of them, they scatter all around my garage and garden, the whole stigma around them is wrong, yes they do bite; yes they are venomous; but it’s more comparable to a bee sting actually. There has never been a fatal case from a false widow and they are quite docile, just leave them alone if you see one or move it outside and you’ll be fine

By *osBeautifuksCouple  over a year ago

Dublin City

A friends daughter was recently bitten by a yellow sack spider last year. She is fine now but was really ill with it and bizarrely still has a scar (considering how children heal so well).

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

The bite of a false widow spider is compared to a bee sting. Imagine we all started to panic now about bees or wasps.

Eh, the usual clickbait

By *ockey64Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

I have an allergy to insect bites/ stings. Was bitten by a false widow and spent 36 hours in hospital. Was very painful.,

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"Eh, the usual clickbait"

100%

By *heBlowinsCouple  over a year ago

West Cork

agreed- clickbait all the way.. We have loads of them and other types round our farm- not yet had more than a mild bite. Spiders aren't out to get us and Irish wildlife in general is super tame. Worst thing we've ever experienced here is biting midges lol

"agreed- clickbait all the way.. We have loads of them and other types round our farm- not yet had more than a mild bite. Spiders aren't out to get us and Irish wildlife in general is super tame. Worst thing we've ever experienced here is biting midges lol "

You haven't met the horsefly yet then

Lucky enough to never have knowingly seen one. If I did I'd likely just step on it. Spiders don't scare me especially the ones in Ireland. The ones I've seen from my time in Australia on the other scared the shit out of me especially the huntsman spider. If you ever saw the video of the nest of them you'll know what I mean. Their massive.

Lucan

"I see hundreds of them, they scatter all around my garage and garden, the whole stigma around them is wrong, yes they do bite; yes they are venomous; but it’s more comparable to a bee sting actually. There has never been a fatal case from a false widow and they are quite docile, just leave them alone if you see one or move it outside and you’ll be fine "

Leaving then alone is not the correct approach. They need to be exterminated as there is a danger that they will decimate our native spider and insect population.

West Cork

Haaa yeah forgot about horseflies! Yeah they're not great lol

"I see hundreds of them, they scatter all around my garage and garden, the whole stigma around them is wrong, yes they do bite; yes they are venomous; but it’s more comparable to a bee sting actually. There has never been a fatal case from a false widow and they are quite docile, just leave them alone if you see one or move it outside and you’ll be fine

Leaving then alone is not the correct approach. They need to be exterminated as there is a danger that they will decimate our native spider and insect population. "

Agreed, they need to be managed.

West Cork

Good to know! We'll have to look into the ecological impact and take appropriate action around ours.. you never know where you're going to learn some things- fab of all places!

Only thing that annoys me about them is that they’re a massive threat to our own native species of spider.

Lucan

"I see hundreds of them, they scatter all around my garage and garden, the whole stigma around them is wrong, yes they do bite; yes they are venomous; but it’s more comparable to a bee sting actually. There has never been a fatal case from a false widow and they are quite docile, just leave them alone if you see one or move it outside and you’ll be fine

Leaving then alone is not the correct approach. They need to be exterminated as there is a danger that they will decimate our native spider and insect population.

Agreed, they need to be managed. "

If by managed you mean exterminated, then yes, they need to be "managed"

If they've been around for 30 odd years then how come we are only hearing about them this past few years.. Media creating fear as always

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

Why did I read this why did I

Lucan

"If they've been around for 30 odd years then how come we are only hearing about them this past few years.. Media creating fear as always "

To be fair, we've been hearing about them since tune first one was discovered here in the late nineties. At that point only one had been seen, and one one person had seen it alive. Obviously as the population of them grows and more and more people see them then more people and media are going to be talking about them.

The fear is not what damage they'll do to us but what damage they'll do to our ecological system.

Nobody talked about grey squirrels either until it was too late.

Lucan

"Why did I read this why did I "

Ah sure you love the fear.

By *eastMan  over a year ago

Oranmore

Lovely with a bit if garlic…

By *he zephyrCouple  over a year ago

The Sol

Leaving then alone is not the correct approach. They need to be exterminated as there is a danger that they will decimate our native spider and insect population. "

Agreed.

On the news last night they demonstrated a catch and release. Said let it out in the garden. But as its an invasive species that makes no sense.

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

Agreed.

On the news last night they demonstrated a catch and release. Said let it out in the garden. But as its an invasive species that makes no sense. "

Did it say who’s garden to release them into?

See hundreds of them every day with my job, I’ve been bitten twice without any mad reaction and many times have found them crawling on me…. They’re not aggressive

We have loads of them in our shed and around our house, but luckily none of us have been bitten. I thunk they are like a bee or wasp sting unless you're allergic. I like spiders, but not these ones.

I come across them quite alot in work fortunately I have not had a bad experience with them but a colleague was bitten and it was pretty bad he was sent to hospital hand blistered pretty bad

» Add a new message to this topic