FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > SAD: seasonal affective disorder

SAD: seasonal affective disorder

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The clocks are about to change-spring forward, fall back-the nights are getting longer and weather is markedly deteriorating.

At this time of year, a lot of people in the northern hemisphere of our planet, start to suffer an annual deterioration in their mood, called SAD.

Depression increases; mood lowers, irritability is more evident.

A friend of mine has often claimed that he is a victim of SAD, which he finds difficult to combat, but uses a special lamp, tales additional vitamin D and makes a point of booking his annual holiday abroad to lift his mood.

He also claims that his libido reduces.

If you suffer from SAD; a seasonally reduced mood, what do you do to combat it, if anything, and does it work?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep ,this is inevitable for me every winter so it takes management. As I work outside mainly I don't bother with UV lamps or supplements but have friends who work in office environments that find them beneficial. It is all too easy to get into a hibernation mode in the evenings so that do combat that by getting out for a run or walk every evening and cut down on alcohol during those few months

By *itty369Woman  over a year ago

Munster somewhere sometime

"Yep ,this is inevitable for me every winter so it takes management. As I work outside mainly I don't bother with UV lamps or supplements but have friends who work in office environments that find them beneficial. It is all too easy to get into a hibernation mode in the evenings so that do combat that by getting out for a run or walk every evening and cut down on alcohol during those few months "

100% it is a thing this time of year mood definitely lowers in some people accross the country,I agree knowing and planning, to help prevent it and/or cope with it is very good remember medication has its place too in its treatment and talking to a professional but I firmly believe in medication as a last resort and only in conjunction with another form of therapy

By *arkjackMan  over a year ago

West Cork

"Yep ,this is inevitable for me every winter so it takes management. As I work outside mainly I don't bother with UV lamps or supplements but have friends who work in office environments that find them beneficial. It is all too easy to get into a hibernation mode in the evenings so that do combat that by getting out for a run or walk every evening and cut down on alcohol during those few months

100% it is a thing this time of year mood definitely lowers in some people accross the country,I agree knowing and planning, to help prevent it and/or cope with it is very good remember medication has its place too in its treatment and talking to a professional but I firmly believe in medication as a last resort and only in conjunction with another form of therapy "

Pretty sure I have sads.

One of my future projects is to construct a heliostat, this is a mirror aimed at the sun, it is possible to capture and concentrate or split light, in my case I want to direct the visible spectrum into fibre optic core cables which then illuminate what appear to be ceiling lights but are in fact concentrated sunlight. They just get fished in like electrical wire.

the light waxes and wanes naturally, far more relaxing. You wake with bluer light and bed with the warmer instead of ignoring our instincts, don't know how it'll go but should be interesting experiment.

By *erverts AnonymousMan  over a year ago

Darkest desires

I work in an industry that up until recently it was unheard of, however with recent research management are being coached now on how to not only help identify but firstly to eliminate the likelihood of it.

I would definitely agree it has a great impact on me in person, mood change, diet, run down and insomnia,

Yep, starts every year in the first couple of weeks of September for me, a creeping dread and lethargy. Discovered in recent years that an aunt and some of her children and grandchildren also suffer from it. It's got to the point now where I dread the end of summer, can't wait to retire and leave Ireland for a sunnier place every winter.

The clock change is when it hits me, no matter how I try to prepare that 1 hour switch just drops SAD down on my head.

I try to lighten my expectations of myself in these months, accept my semi-hibernating brain and know it will pass ...

By *ild WomanWoman  over a year ago

Carlow

Booked holiday for January so I have s goal to look forward to. Nuy getting dental work done so also using as a treat for myself for getting it done.

Have spending money nearly sorted and will be on top of all my bills before going. No new clothes hope to buy some out there

I refuse to wear black st this time of year and will have bright colourful hair.

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

There is a book called wintering by Katherine May which might be good to read

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

I spent 3 winters in a row in India. That was a definite cure lol

By *amsevenMan  over a year ago

cork

Prob get slated for this but a friend of mine takes cbd oil and says it helps

By *rutus321Man  over a year ago

Offaly

Try to look on the bright side excuse the pun,January only 8 weeks away evenings start to stretch a bit

By *yesgreenMan  over a year ago

north and south

"Try to look on the bright side excuse the pun,January only 8 weeks away evenings start to stretch a bit"
Get up earlier and grab the day by the scruff of the neck and bed earlier too , So only daylight hours to be enjoyed, Partner in crime helps

By *risfunMan  over a year ago

brisbane

Main reason that stops me moving home to ireland from Australia...when I go home to ireland I find it such a negative place

By *inner2729Man  over a year ago

Bolton Street

I suffer all year round but October is ways awful for me.

I'm really struggling to carry on.

I only recently found out about this so I’m keeping an eye on myself over winter to see if this affects me !

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

Grapefruit essential oil has a lifting effect. A couple of drops in a diffuser, or on a tissue on the radiator, in the car, under your pillow, a couple of drops in a bath/footbath.

Can also be added to cream or oil as a topical treatment, just patch test for allergies and only ever a drop or 2 in a teaspoon of product.

It's not a cure obviously but might give a little lift.

"Grapefruit essential oil has a lifting effect. A couple of drops in a diffuser, or on a tissue on the radiator, in the car, under your pillow, a couple of drops in a bath/footbath.

Can also be added to cream or oil as a topical treatment, just patch test for allergies and only ever a drop or 2 in a teaspoon of product.

"

I was going to pm you but can’t. I have started supplementing vitamin D. Any other tips ?

Dublin

"Grapefruit essential oil has a lifting effect. A couple of drops in a diffuser, or on a tissue on the radiator, in the car, under your pillow, a couple of drops in a bath/footbath.

I was going to pm you but can’t. I have started supplementing vitamin D. Any other tips ? "

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't be giving any medical advice. I have studied some essential oils though hence the above comment or recommendation.

I think managing SAD is like managing your health, physical, mental and emotional. I personally believe that's where a healthy balanced lifestyle comes in - exercise, healthy diet rich in nutritious fresh food, limited in alcohol, fast food and highly processed sugary, fatty foods - I supplement with vitamin D, B and zinc myself. Anyone can get themselves to a doc for bloods to see if all is as it should be nutrient wise. Sleep is important, sunlight where you can get it...as well as a support network of family and friends. Do as much of what you enjoy as possible. Allow yourself to wallow but not excessively if you can - which for some who have it or another mental health disorder is easier said or done.

For some meditation and mindfulness can be beneficial too...

I was going to pm you but can’t. I have started supplementing vitamin D. Any other tips ?

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't be giving any medical advice. I have studied some essential oils though hence the above comment or recommendation.

I think managing SAD is like managing your health, physical, mental and emotional. I personally believe that's where a healthy balanced lifestyle comes in - exercise, healthy diet rich in nutritious fresh food, limited in alcohol, fast food and highly processed sugary, fatty foods - I supplement with vitamin D, B and zinc myself. Anyone can get themselves to a doc for bloods to see if all is as it should be nutrient wise. Sleep is important, sunlight where you can get it...as well as a support network of family and friends. Do as much of what you enjoy as possible. Allow yourself to wallow but not excessively if you can - which for some who have it or another mental health disorder is easier said or done.

For some meditation and mindfulness can be beneficial too... "

I’ve wanted to try get into meditation and mindfulness with somebody. Good to know it works !

Dublin

For some meditation and mindfulness can be beneficial too...

I’ve wanted to try get into meditation and mindfulness with somebody. Good to know it works ! "

Easier on my own - no distractions

That is the point of meditation and mindfulness,it's to concentrate on self ..by yourself ,not a group activity .

» Add a new message to this topic