FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Going on holidays on my own

Going on holidays on my own

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rishguy086 OP   Man 48 weeks ago

Limerick

Hey, so I figured I might get good insight and advice on here.

This year will be the 1st year I'll be alone for my work summer holidays in 6 years.

Friends of mine say I should go abroad somewhere on my own for a week or something and just have a laugh.

But I'm personally not good at being alone and I'm worried if I go away, how will it effect me but I also know that it could be a great experience.

I have no idea what I should do.

Any thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan 48 weeks ago

somewhere

How about trying a long weekend somewhere instead of a week

A close European City with stuff to see and do so you're always busy

Whats the worst thing that can happen if you're on your own

By (user no longer on site) 48 weeks ago

Go away once by yourself and you'll never want to go with anyone again.

It's very liberating.

Try Amsterdam on a overnight.

By *indenMan 48 weeks ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

In a recently conducted study by Sydney University it was found that 78% of people said their ideal holiday would be on their own, anywhere…..

I’ve gone away on my own before and would again in a heartbeat, but I fully appreciate it’s not for everyone……

You’re never really alone, new people are often only a hello away….

By *otownkid1967Man 48 weeks ago

Portlaoise

Been travelling on my own for over 10 years now and love it. Maybe plan your itinerary so that you will be visiting places ie museums , theatres country houses etc. You will be surprised how many singles travel on their own .

By *heBlowinsCouple 48 weeks ago

West Cork

Solo travel can be great - I'm with you OP.. sometimes it's not the best being alone. I find evening meals/drinks difficult on solo holidays.. easier I imagine if you're outgoing/extraverted.

I see solo trips as an opportunity for you to take in and reflect on things in a different, more focused way.. you can experience whatever you want, whenever.. that's liberating. And there is solace and comfort in finding and enjoying that space with just yourself.

You can also join up a tour or small tours to get on with people.. I did a food tour with strangers and ended up spending the rest of the day with some of them

By *affa31Woman 48 weeks ago

Galway

Just back from a solo trip and honestly, it’s the most relaxing holiday you can have. My advice would be to start with a city break for 3 or 4 days (I can’t imagine doing a sun holiday solo) and book a tour for the first day to get your bearings. Pick somewhere that you’ve been interested in going and that has lots to do.

I do Airbnb because I love the absolute freedom of it, being able to come and go as you please, not having to always eat out if you don’t want to and the peace and quiet. If you’re worried about being lonely, do a hotel or hostel…you’re more likely to get chatting to people.

Give it a go OP, don’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from seeing the world and if you hate it, sure it’s only a couple of days!

Galway

Oh and food wise, I find it easier to eat out in the afternoon/evening…little bit quieter. There’s always loads eating alone and no one pays a blind bit of notice. Eat outside, sunglasses on and it’s a great people watching opportunity.

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS 48 weeks ago

Dublin

Do it. The magic happens outside your comfort zone!

I'm on holidays right now on my own. Currently in Leipzig

By *osyRedLipsWoman 48 weeks ago

Kildare

Great advice Jaffa I can't wait until my teens fly the nest so I can go on solo adventures

I have to agree with previous comments. I flew to America for a break on my own and it was perhaps the best break away ever. Total freedom and just that escape from the norm. Of course doesn't have to be a long haul trip as since I came back I love nothing more than just day trips away on my own in the car with music on and see where I end up

By *og-ManMan 48 weeks ago

somewhere

One great thing that has improved for single holidays is the eating out experience

I used to hate going into restaurants on my own in hotels

Now the bar food menu's are fantastic and much more relaxing

Hopefully trying this out for the first time later on in the year can't wait

By *ichael McCarthyMan 48 weeks ago

Lucan

"One great thing that has improved for single holidays is the eating out experience

I used to hate going into restaurants on my own in hotels

Now the bar food menu's are fantastic and much more relaxing "

Eating is where you miss company though. I've been away on my own and I find that dining is any so much more than getting fed. I'm happy enough to sit and watch others but if you get good food you miss the conversation about it.

Nothing beats getting away on your own though, and doing your own thing without having to compromise on what you want to see

"Hey, so I figured I might get good insight and advice on here.

This year will be the 1st year I'll be alone for my work summer holidays in 6 years.

Friends of mine say I should go abroad somewhere on my own for a week or something and just have a laugh.

But I'm personally not good at being alone and I'm worried if I go away, how will it effect me but I also know that it could be a great experience.

I have no idea what I should do.

Any thoughts?"

You're bound to be a bit anxious but once you're there everything will be easier for you, trust me no matter what anyone does the most difficult thing is making your mind up to go or do it..once there it's so invigorating.. wherever you're going enjoy yourself

Galway

The other thing I find about solo hols is that they feel like you’ve been away ages even though it’s only been a few days and far more restful. You don’t have to pack things into your days like you do if you’re taking other peoples ideas and desires into account. You go at your own pace, only do the things you want to do under zero pressure. Absolute bliss!

By *tillWaters182Man 48 weeks ago

Dublin

I've been doing the solo hols thing for several years and I've honestly never had a problem with eating alone. But I do that sometimes at the weekends at home anyway so maybe I'm more acclimatised to it. The issues you might encounter are more practical - looking after your belongings can be awkward travelling by yourself - the suitcase is coming to the airport toilet with you, for example. Be doubly careful not to lose your phone!

But as against that, there's the freedom to drift around and look at what interests you. If you fall in love with something or somewhere unexpectedly- no problem! Just change your plan for the day.

I appreciate though that it's horses for courses, and that if you don't much like being by yourself, it's a lot harder. Maybe for a first venture, go somewhere you have at least a smattering of the language? France, maybe, if you did French at school? It's less daunting if you can have a pidgin conversation with the people you encounter!

By *antra MassageMan 48 weeks ago

Old bog road

If you like walking, try the Camino de Santiago. Flights frim Dublin to Bilbao and Santiago. Walk on your own if you like, but all the other people are heading in the same direction so its easy to get into conversation. In the evenings hostels and cafes have large shared tables for pilgrims, so its very friendly. Its a great walking meditation, to empty your mind .

"If you like walking, try the Camino de Santiago. Flights frim Dublin to Bilbao and Santiago. Walk on your own if you like, but all the other people are heading in the same direction so its easy to get into conversation. In the evenings hostels and cafes have large shared tables for pilgrims, so its very friendly. Its a great walking meditation, to empty your mind . "

On my bucket list

Limerick

There is actual great advice here, I must say.

I find that my friends say that they'd love to go away on their own for the peace and doing things that they want to do but I personally think that's alot easier said when you have someone to go home to and someone to kiss goodnight every night, but when I'm eating, sleeping, waking, shopping and everything else on my own every day, I want someome to chat with, have a laugh with that means everything to me.

Sorry for the downer lol

I do think a 3/4 day city break might be the way to go, just visiting places on my own not having someone to talk to about them, right now doesn't sound like much fun.

But as ye said, go out of my comfort zone...

By *ineapple_PrincessWoman 48 weeks ago

in the waves

"There is actual great advice here, I must say.

I find that my friends say that they'd love to go away on their own for the peace and doing things that they want to do but I personally think that's alot easier said when you have someone to go home to and someone to kiss goodnight every night, but when I'm eating, sleeping, waking, shopping and everything else on my own every day, I want someome to chat with, have a laugh with that means everything to me.

Sorry for the downer lol

I do think a 3/4 day city break might be the way to go, just visiting places on my own not having someone to talk to about them, right now doesn't sound like much fun.

"

Would you consider going on a group holiday with a tour company? It might be easier for you being around others. There's ones that do groups by Age so you might even make friends or meet someone on the trip.

Galway

"There is actual great advice here, I must say.

Sorry for the downer lol

"

I in no way want to sound harsh but it seems to me, having seen a few of your posts, that you’re very focused on wanting to be in a relationship and the perceived benefits that brings. You don’t need a partner to relay your adventures to…let your friends know what you’ve been up to that day, post on insta etc. Hell, post on here about what you’ve done and enjoyed that day!

I’m single but I still crave the peace and quiet of going somewhere by myself. No one expecting anything from you, no pull of jobs to be done around the house or the mundaneness of every day life. There’s also great freedom in being somewhere where you don’t speak the language…people chatting around you becomes background noise rather than conversations you find yourself tuning in to. I would advise learning the basics (hello, thank you etc)…people you come across in shops etc will appreciate the effort.

If you don’t enjoy spending time alone, maybe a solo holiday isn’t for you. I do think a short one is worth a go to really see if you enjoy it or not. Alternatively, ask a friend/cousin/whoever to go somewhere with you. Maybe there’s someone who would only love to get away for a few days.

By *ol_ieMan 48 weeks ago

Dublin west

Well used to being on my own and working away from home on my own for weeks at a time all across Europe.

I am happy in my own space and inside my own head and doing what I want.

Would agree on the eat earlier in the day thing as it's less hassle than eating late in the evening on your own in a restaurant full of couples.

Try and overnight and see then do a couple of nights.

Just do stuff you like to do and enjoy yourself .

"Well used to being on my own and working away from home on my own for weeks at a time all across Europe.

I am happy in my own space and inside my own head and doing what I want.

Would agree on the eat earlier in the day thing as it's less hassle than eating late in the evening on your own in a restaurant full of couples.

Try and overnight and see then do a couple of nights.

Just do stuff you like to do and enjoy yourself . "

Wow I wish I was like you I suffer from anxiety,I panic,I can't even walk to my local shop on my own .. its a real thing and I hate feeling like it .. but can't help it

By *elticinvrpcMan 48 weeks ago

Dublin 11

[Removed by poster at 30/05/23 22:44:16]

By *elticinvrpcMan 48 weeks ago

Dublin 11

Best thing I ever done was going away on my own.. do what you want when you want..not having to wait on someone or go somewhere when you want to do your own thing

By *oxic1998Woman 48 weeks ago

Belfast

First trip by myself was a few days in the lake district.....loved it. Just back from a month in Australia which I did mostly by myself. You will always meet people to talk to on your way. I was on the tram in Sydney and an 83 year informed me where the nudist beaches were in Perth....not sure why he told me but the conversation was quite memorable

Definitely try a city break first....you'll know if you will love it or not by the time you come back.

By *on Juan the MADridMan 48 weeks ago

Lisbon/ North England/ Wales/ Madrid/

Here travelling alone almost every week on business and so happy to do so. I can do what I wish, picking the restaurant that I want and planning my evenings on the way that better suits me. Many times I extend my trip over the weekend and it’s fantastic.

By *lassy lady 216Woman 48 weeks ago

Craigavon

I love traveling on my own nothing like it the sense of freedom knowing that you only have yourself to rely on first trip away by myself was 4days in London I loved every minute of it and have been back several times I'm looking at Berlin for 4days in sept not that I can speak one word of German could be very interesting lol

"I love traveling on my own nothing like it the sense of freedom knowing that you only have yourself to rely on first trip away by myself was 4days in London I loved every minute of it and have been back several times I'm looking at Berlin for 4days in sept not that I can speak one word of German could be very interesting lol"

Going to Japan alone is a real mindfuck for the first few days it’s like being on a different planet.

By *ucabraserMan 48 weeks ago

Navan

I havent holidayed on my own but I have travelled for work and I have to say I loved it. When working abroad I have always been accompanied by at least one other engineer. On one of my last ones the other guy pulled out late and I travelled on my own. I found it very liberating and I actually loved the dining alone, instead of fancy restaurants I could eat from places under the train station and street food. . When the urge took me I found bars and clubs where you could meet other like minded people for a drink , a chat or some fun.

Limerick

Yeah, I'm going to try a few nights away somewhere, maybe Italy, Hungary or somewhere like that and see what happens

By *apncookMan 48 weeks ago

Somewhere you aren't

I defo get the eating alone. You look around a feel that everyone else is in a group but sometimes the couple beside you are just a longing for another voice as you are.

I've been on group and sun holidays alone and find a great routine. I find city breaks a little harder but that's just me. Very happy on a beach with a book (less the hard to reach part of your back for sun screen)

If you are concerned about how you're mindset may change, maybe find a mate to share a meal with bit be independent otherwise. Something I considered

Hope you have a wonderful time wherever you go....

» Add a new message to this topic