FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Traveling everyday

Traveling everyday

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    46 weeks ago

Hi all

Advise- anyone that travels up and down from Wexford to Dublin every day for work? Is it worth it? Or plain madness?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 45 weeks ago

"Hi all

Advise- anyone that travels up and down from Wexford to Dublin every day for work? Is it worth it? Or plain madness?"

Sheer madness surely you’d need a sleep after that walk

By *eanR2023Man 45 weeks ago

Dublin

"Hi all

Advise- anyone that travels up and down from Wexford to Dublin every day for work? Is it worth it? Or plain madness?

Sheer madness surely you’d need a sleep after that walk "

Lol

By *og-ManMan 45 weeks ago

somewhere

Depends on what part of Dublin..

If its South Dublin....just north of Bray / Greystones....just outside the traffic build up Zone it might work

By *otownkid1967Man 45 weeks ago

Portlaoise

I just turned down a job in Dublin OP. Simple reason was it was going to cost in the region of €200 between diesel and tolls.Never mind the wear znd tear on your vehicle. Also there's the amount of time you spend on the road. The grass isn't always greener on the other side OP. But of luck in whatever you decide.

I’ve being thinking the very same myself. My choice was made by looking at the following:

Pay difference - For me it was a difference of 55% more per hour

Working day as is(45 min commute), or add on 30 mins more per single journey.

Depending on your situation regarding relationship, family, kids etc only you can really make a decision in regards that. For me I decided not to do it now, but in 10 year time if the same opportunity was there, I have decided that I would make the change for 5 year max to earn more and clear my mortgage that bit sooner so that I’d be in a better financial position down the line with kids/college and all other bills.

I don’t think that commute is something you could sign up for and plan on doing for the rest of your life, but maybe a few hard years now, doing it might make following years easier

Depends how long the commute is and cost, I used to travel 200km a day to work 100 up and back again this was a time when diesel was relatively cheap, I avoided tolls and did most servicing myself to lower the cost, I did it for 9 years in the end I had enough started to go mad and quit , it was 1hr 15min each way so that's an extra 2.5 hrs on top of my normal working day, it's just was worth it, in the end I found something 20 mins away, it doesn't pay as much but I don't care, at least I have some comfort now

By *huCullainMan 45 weeks ago

Rathowen

"Depends how long the commute is and cost, I used to travel 200km a day to work 100 up and back again this was a time when diesel was relatively cheap, I avoided tolls and did most servicing myself to lower the cost, I did it for 9 years in the end I had enough started to go mad and quit , it was 1hr 15min each way so that's an extra 2.5 hrs on top of my normal working day, it's just was worth it, in the end I found something 20 mins away, it doesn't pay as much but I don't care, at least I have some comfort now "

Was doing the same for a good while too. I was lucky enough to get a local job that's a short hop from home, less hours and much better pay.

It's better to weigh your options before changing jobs and always keep in mind if you're commuting that weather or an accident can double your commute no matter where you live or work. Driving tired can be lethal.

By *thloneros38Man 45 weeks ago

athlone/roscommon

Anything more then 40mins from your house isnt worth it . Iv travelled to dublin afew times for work leaving the house at 4.30 and getting back at 9.30 its not a life i would fancy.

By *inxnmasterCouple 45 weeks ago

naughty valley

"Hi all

Advise- anyone that travels up and down from Wexford to Dublin every day for work? Is it worth it? Or plain madness?"

Everything has its price . It’s a cost benefit question. If it pays you less than EUR 500/day it’s probably not worth the sacristies but that again is subject to personal circumstances

By *ealitybitesMan 45 weeks ago

Belfast

It's all down to personal choice and circumstances.

I worked for 20+ years only 5 mins from home on minimum wage and 15 mins away for much better money but unbelievable stress attached.

Then I had to commute over an hour on the same money but there was no job satisfaction at all.

Now I'm travelling an hour each way every day on less money but it's stress free and I enjoy it.

It all comes down to priorities and what you are looking for in your work/life balance.

By *oo32Man 45 weeks ago

tipperary

Is there lodge paid?can you car share?you could work longer days and head home Thursday night or early friday

athlone/roscommon

At the moment if i was to travel to work in dublin it would cost me at least €60 a day so not fu€k the traveling if people pull there finger out in dublin we would have to come up and fix fhings for the.

By *antra MassageMan 45 weeks ago

Old bog road

I commuted to Dublin for two years, a round trip of 5 hours driving, on top of my working day. At the end of two years i got a new ID card. I couldn't believe the difference in my appearance, I looked exhausted and had aged a lot in the new photo. So, I gave up the Dublin job, with its great money, and opted for a job closer to home, less money, but more time with the kids.

athlone/roscommon

In reality if you get a middling wage for less travelling your far better off at least the tax man isnt hiding on the road to fleace you out of your hard earn money lol

By (user no longer on site) OP    45 weeks ago

Thanks for the reply’s, it’s difficult decision if I need to it I just might have to due to the rental shortage in Dublin. One good thing can work from work 3 days in the week.

By *itemeagainMan 45 weeks ago

Wexford

"Hi all

Depends on many factors. Depends on the individual. I've done and it was very worth it . Wouldn't be worth it right now in my life

By *aid backMan 45 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

I used to commute from South dublin to cootehill 5 days a week. For a year before I moved to cavan but within 6 months I was back in Dublin with a new job working shift

» Add a new message to this topic