FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Atomic Bomb

Atomic Bomb

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man 41 weeks ago

somewhere

Just some light entertainment for the forums tonight to escape all the heavy discussions on other threads

Do you think the world is a better place because of the invention of The Atomic Bomb

Guess what film I've just come out of of

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ustBoWoman 41 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Just some light entertainment for the forums tonight to escape all the heavy discussions on other threads

Do you think the world is a better place because of the invention of The Atomic Bomb

Guess what film I've just come out of of "

Barbie

somewhere

"Just some light entertainment for the forums tonight to escape all the heavy discussions on other threads

Guess what film I've just come out of of

Barbie "

By (user no longer on site) 41 weeks ago

Bombs away

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 41 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

Well, aside from actually ending the war, the development of the bomb definitly expanded our knowledge of radiation/nuclear/quantum physics.

So my guess is that range of technologies like nuclear power, radiation therapy, computing, all would be years behind what it currently is.

We are definitely more technological advanced because of it.

By *affa31Woman 41 weeks ago

Galway

"Well, aside from actually ending the war, the development of the bomb definitly expanded our knowledge of radiation/nuclear/quantum physics.

So my guess is that range of technologies like nuclear power, radiation therapy, computing, all would be years behind what it currently is.

We are definitely more technological advanced because of it."

Definitely more technologically advanced because of the money pumped into the research but I still wish they weren’t a thing.

The world is better off because of the research, but not because of the existence of the atom bomb.

By *ealitybitesMan 41 weeks ago

Belfast

What are the chances of two movies in the cinema at the same time celebrating products that were initially launched in Japan?

By *itemeagainMan 41 weeks ago

Wexford

Ah sure look ... got to be building something!

Could be worse ... could have made a time machine

somewhere

"What are the chances of two movies in the cinema at the same time celebrating products that were initially launched in Japan? "

By (user no longer on site) 41 weeks ago

Perhaps the knowing now of what it can do is the very thing that has prevented its use since Nagasaki and that is a good thing?

By *asual777Man 41 weeks ago

i travel all over

If I am completely honest , i wonder what it would be like reading that question if a forum member was from Japan

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 40 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

"Ah sure look ... got to be building something!

Could be worse ... could have made a time machine "

Honestly, if I was Hitler, and I spent my childhood fighting off time travelling Jews, I would probably want to eliminate them also!

By *exydoctorsCouple 40 weeks ago

Galway/Clare

I think in time humanity will regret putting so much effort into technology and less focus on social and societal integration (I say this as a technologist myself!). Whilst there are positives to that technology, it is inevitable that at some stage nuclear bombs will end up in the hands of splinter groups or terrorists.... You can already see today how the pieces are in place that could cause this to happen.

By (user no longer on site) 40 weeks ago

I think the human race is fucked regardless

By *llthewaysMan 40 weeks ago

Somewhere

Unfortunately big advances in technology are normally made during war times. Thankfully there are ways of taking such technologies and adapting them to better the lives of humanity rather than destroy them.

By *ealmc1973Man 40 weeks ago

Clare, Tipperary

Absolutely, much better place now, that one knows, that the end will be short and bright

I grew up in the peak of Cold War, so Atomic bomb is like member of my family - I know how to behave and what to do, when the siren sounds, I know, which direction I should smack myself on the ground, in case that I will get caught in open. I know how to clean and wash myself from the fall out and how to attend my burns. Hell, I might even have my, iodine tablets, somewhere. That miracle cure for nuclear armageddon.

Yes, what a lovely peaceful world it is...in the shadow of Mr. Nuke

By *og-Man OP   Man 40 weeks ago

somewhere

Just to say I wasn't trying and it wasn't in my mind to belittle the effect of the bombs on the Japanese people....

Just like the film I didnt want to mention it but just concentrate on the other side of the technical breakthrough to create the bombs

By *ilthyNightsCouple 40 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

The capability was always going to emerge at some point... It's not the technology itself, but the planet having it's shit together where it's able to handle it. We do NOT have our shit together.

Clare, Tipperary

"Just to say I wasn't trying and it wasn't in my mind to belittle the effect of the bombs on the Japanese people....

Just like the film I didnt want to mention it but just concentrate on the other side of the technical breakthrough to create the bombs "

...then the original question was put totally wrong way.

Nuclear research definitely made this world better place, or could have done just that.

But, unfortunately, as with any new technology, humans are pre-occupied of how to use it to get the upper hand over their adversaries and to black-mail the rest.

So, nuclear research - yes. Atomic bomb? No!

By *itemeagainMan 40 weeks ago

Wexford

"Ah sure look ... got to be building something!

Could be worse ... could have made a time machine

Honestly, if I was Hitler, and I spent my childhood fighting off time travelling Jews, I would probably want to eliminate them also!"

Thats just a mindset though

It's funny how America acts like the Policeman of the world and yet they are the only country to use nukes not once but twice on a civilian population at the end of a war that was just about won.

250 odd k deaths is a bit of a price to pay for a scientific leap.

E

By *ymbunny2016Man 40 weeks ago

Bangor

The aliens are coming anyway

East / North, Cork

"It's funny how America acts like the Policeman of the world and yet they are the only country to use nukes not once but twice on a civilian population at the end of a war that was just about won.

E"

This. Plus cluster bombing, plus Iraq invasion, non existent WMDs, Afghanistan, etc etc

By *og-Man OP   Man 40 weeks ago

somewhere

"It's funny how America acts like the Policeman of the world and yet they are the only country to use nukes not once but twice on a civilian population at the end of a war that was just about won.

E"

Doing a bit of reading the weekend and the consensus was that Japan was not going to surrender but maybe that thinking came in after the bombs were dropped

Clare, Tipperary

It is more complex than meets the eye, in a way that USA were shittin' it only when they thought of invading the Japanese mainland, that is well know fact, hence the 1st bomb.

From the other hand it was brand new weapon, and no matter how many test are being done, unless proven in action it is still, only an experiment.

The 2nd bomb was of different construction, so that had to be tested too...

What happened, happened, it's history we can talk about...but, our job is to make everything possible not to repeat this again.

BTW cluster munition is not only US of A

I remember the story of the poor guy badly injured at Hiroshima who was sent to Nagasaki to recover and was blown up again.

Reminded me of the person who survived the Twin Towers and was blown up in the London bombings.

Wexford

"The aliens are coming anyway "

No no .... there long here

Wexford

E

This. Plus cluster bombing, plus Iraq invasion, non existent WMDs, Afghanistan, etc etc "

Ah tbf ... where would we be without them at times

.. we would all be still in camps ... or communists... or Russians.... or taliban..or never had the pleasure of Dawson's creek

East / North, Cork

E

This. Plus cluster bombing, plus Iraq invasion, non existent WMDs, Afghanistan, etc etc

.. we would all be still in camps ... or communists... or Russians.... or taliban..or never had the pleasure of Dawson's creek "

I hear youz we owe a lot to the USA, but hundreds of thousands of civilians going about their daily business are not letitimate military targets... And foreign wars for domestic political reasons are to be condemned wherever .

Wexford

E

.. we would all be still in camps ... or communists... or Russians.... or taliban..or never had the pleasure of Dawson's creek

I hear youz we owe a lot to the USA, but hundreds of thousands of civilians going about their daily business are not letitimate military targets... And foreign wars for domestic political reasons are to be condemned wherever . "

True

Hindsight is always 2020

By *ome_wild_girlWoman 40 weeks ago

Antrim Town

Terminator?

Dr Strangelove?

» Add a new message to this topic