FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > landlord advice

landlord advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok fab peeps heres a story which I need advice im renting a 2 bed house which is sort of run down needs some work to it we have a stove thats just good too let out smoke some times I have to open the windows too let it out just yesterday I got in from college an went to the toilet and done what I had to do an I flush the toilet as u do and the water started to raised up out of it it was blocked I rang him anyway an told him he was very rude too me an blaming me for the blockage he said il have to pay to get it fixed its not just the toilet thats blocked its shower an kitchen sink I refused too pay rent till its fix that no if thats a smart move any advice would be great thank u everyone

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No you do right it's down to your landlord to keep the place up to standard....

That goes with maintenance and the up keep of the property...

Any thing goes wrong as its his property it's up to him to get it fixed....

Is it done through a letting agency if do get in touch with them and let them get in contact with him. If private through him just tell him that us what you pay your rent for its not your property it's his/hers good luck.

Sounds like you should move somewhere else where the landlord appreciates his tennant.

There's sooo many places for rent at the moment you'll be spoiled for choice!

But yes he has to look after his own property, that smoke thing must illegal under health and safety regulations...

sounds like a shit landlord. he should be getting a plumper out to fix it. thats why they charge extra for rent to cover expences like that.

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

If all of the said conveniences are blocked its prob a sewer prob which is he's prob the stove prob needs cleaning as does the flue all his probe if he's being a prick move its a renters market

Good luck with this what ever U do jen

Call into your local citizens advice bureau. They will help you with all the info you need on your rights as a tenant and will give you copies to bring away with you to read up on and then you can call the shots. Power is knowledge, don't be bullied by this rogue landlord. Best of luck. xx

"Call into your local citizens advice bureau. They will help you with all the info you need on your rights as a tenant and will give you copies to bring away with you to read up on and then you can call the shots. Power is knowledge, don't be bullied by this rogue landlord. Best of luck. xx"

"Call into your local citizens advice bureau. They will help you with all the info you need on your rights as a tenant and will give you copies to bring away with you to read up on and then you can call the shots. Power is knowledge, don't be bullied by this rogue landlord. Best of luck. xx"

Excellent advice!!

Thank you to everybody who has giving me some advice some powerfull words there cause im gone 9 to 5 everyday it can be quite hard to get the advice I really need but I think I have it cleared up in my head and I reckon its just better to move out asap so im headin that way

By *aughtyduo2Couple  over a year ago

sexy town

contact treshold find out if he is registered as a land lord if not you can report him to the tax man never know they might give you a little something for reporting him lol

By *lo1 slo2Couple  over a year ago

newry

i am a landlord and i maintain my property he needs to get the flue cleaned because you could get carbon monoxide poisioning and allsorts of sickness from the sewers its against the law if there is a danger to your tennents

By *randub69Man  over a year ago

city

Get in touch with the P.R.T.B. There the private rent tenancy board. They will get on to him to sort out the problem if he is registared with them. If he is not registered with them he will be in big trouble, as it is illegal not to have his property registsred with them.

Good luck

You need to write to your landlord, he has to act if he gets it in writing,,,otherwise he's breaching his obligations

be very carefull not paying rent I did exactly the same when my ex landlord refused to fix the only toilet in house which didn't flush among other maintenance jobs , as soon as I stopped paying rent to get issues dealt with they were able to evict me prtb should have advised you to keep paying but issue them (landlord) with an order to maintain. hope this helps k

"Ok fab peeps heres a story which I need advice im renting a 2 bed house which is sort of run down needs some work to it we have a stove thats just good too let out smoke some times I have to open the windows too let it out just yesterday I got in from college an went to the toilet and done what I had to do an I flush the toilet as u do and the water started to raised up out of it it was blocked I rang him anyway an told him he was very rude too me an blaming me for the blockage he said il have to pay to get it fixed its not just the toilet that's blocked its shower an kitchen sink I refused too pay rent till its fix that no if that's a smart move any advice would be great thank u everyone "

First of all you'll have to check what your tenancy agreement stipulates as being the responsibilities of the landlord and the tenant. You may have agreed in the agreement that the issues you've raised are your responsibility to sort out - although it could be argued that it would be unfair to place that onus on you as the tenant.

Secondly, see if he's registered with the Private Tenancies Rental Board, which the 'regulator' for private tenants in the Republic. The PTRB has plenty of information on it. As someone else has commented you can also inspect the register to see if he's registered; if he isn't it's likely the Revenue don't know about his rental income and as such you've got a potential line of persuasion over him to address you concerns.

Thirdly, as others have suggested check out the Citizens Advice (they have a good website). You also mentioned that you're at college. As a student your college may have a free legal advice service just for these issues.

Fourthly, I'd be a bit careful about with holding the rent at this point, cos if any dispute goes to court or arbitration the withholding of rent may not look good; after all, you need to maintain the moral upper ground in any dispute.

With regard to the stove problem I would get a carbon monoxide tester to see whether it's safe re: carbon monoxide levels. If a tester is showing the levels are at an unsafe level there's obviously a health & safety issue which by my reckoning would be the responsibility of the landlord to sort out in that the property has to a safe environment to live in.

The toilet and drainage issues maybe another matter. The blockage may not be in the sewer pipe on the property and may be out in the street, which means it would be difficult to prove who is responsible for the blockage and therefore who in turn has responsibility to sort out. If the blockage is on the actual property there is then an issue whether you could be responsible for it because you may have used too much toilet tissue - as I have known some women to do and have blocked toilets - or some other item may have been flushed away that's caused the blockage. On this issue I'd check what your Tenancy Agreement states as to whom has responsibility to sort out.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

I wouldn't withold the rent, but would tell him you are getting enviromental health to check all the faults. He will soon get the property to standard.

By *illdeeCouple  over a year ago

nr Edinburgh

What you can do with the rent is open a new account at the Post Office. Pay it in there and let the landlord see the statement etc. If it ever goes to Court then you can show the magistrate etc that you weren't ripping him off but could, and would, pay when (if) the probs are fixed!!

That aint a bad idea but I think where just gonna move as we can get better for the money where paying him yeno

My last house was a rental and the contract stated I couldn't with hold rent due to repairs not being done, just be careful and check your contract, you might end up gettn evicted for breach of contract if its on it luv xx

"My last house was a rental and the contract stated I couldn't with hold rent due to repairs not being done, just be careful and check your contract, you might end up gettn evicted for breach of contract if its on it luv xx"
no checked up on everything its not even a lease its hand written stateing the day I moved in etc an rent to be payed weekly thats it an signed by meself well I gave him his months notice and where outa here

If that's the class I would with hold payment then xx

By *urfdudeMan  over a year ago

WEXFORD

Are you reg with the PRTB ?

"My last house was a rental and the contract stated I couldn't with hold rent due to repairs not being done, just be careful and check your contract, you might end up gettn evicted for breach of contract if its on it luv xx no checked up on everything its not even a lease its hand written stateing the day I moved in etc an rent to be payed weekly thats it an signed by meself well I gave him his months notice and where outa here "

From what you've described it sounds like a very suspect situation and he wont be registered with the PTRB. I suppose what happens next depends on wheter you want to stay in the house and whether you want the hassle of 'persuading' your lanlord to fix the issues. Personally, it all sounds a bit dodgy and I think you'll have difficultly getting him to do it. As such I would I would move out cos I'd prefer to pay more rent but from someone who's reliable and I could trust.

As for PTRB I dnt think im reg with them well I never filled out anythin when I first moved in he had a form about it but I got notting back in the post saying im reg wit them

Himself fixed the toilet so thats back working for now

By *hyone.Man  over a year ago

armagh

Use next door lol

Get a load of this Haha thats abit funny I said im getting the health inspecters in to have a look and I said I was on to ptrb straight away oh il have lads out to fix that 2moro for ya sorry about that ste I really am I didin no it was that bad I also said oh we might be giving your months notice

Even if you leave inform the prtb so he wont screw the next person. If you also inform the Landlord in writing with regestered post about faults then come court time they cant say didnt know it was this bad.

By *randub69Man  over a year ago

city

tell him you want a discount on this months rent, for all the hastle you had to put up with..

Haha I wish I could do that but I no what his reply would be with a captial f an o
"tell him you want a discount on this months rent, for all the hastle you had to put up with.."

» Add a new message to this topic