FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Tips for gym

Tips for gym

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *osyRedLips OP   Woman 23 weeks ago

Kildare

So two months ago I joined my gym. The anxiety levels through the roof gymtimidation is a real thing! I conquered my fear and now I absolutely love going. So I'm sure there's lot's of Fabbers here considering fitness as a New years resolutions. So I thought I'd start a positive thread to encourage other's who might be starting a fitness journey or even considering it. My biggest tips would be start now even if it's some gentle exercises at home or walking. A killer set list or a great podcast motivates me so much to go. I'm totally having a bop in the gym between sets to 90s classics! So I'd love to hear other people's advice and tips

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *amsevenMan 23 weeks ago

cork

Was chatting to an over weight guy who was nervous about going to the gym at the beginning because of the fit guys already there. He assumed they would be looking down at him. But it's quiet the opposite I believe (there's always one I guess) as most would think fair play to him for trying to better himself. The vast majority are there for that reason and everyone had to start somewhere. He was pleasantly surprised that some offered him advice about his form etc. Gymtimidation is real I guess but not as bad as people may think. Good on you rosy

By *orYourThighsOnlyMan 23 weeks ago

Midlands

Excellent positive thread. Was thinking of something similar myself:

gym intimidation -80- 90% of usual gym goers are recreational users not athletes so remember everyone started somewhere. A small portion will be cocky until you make progress then they lighten up and you outlift them.

Love what you do - I’m glad to hear your loving the workouts. The gym not for everyone, if it’s not go walking, play soccer, horizontal jogging etc.

Change your workouts at least every 6 weeks or your body will get used to it and the progress will stall. Some soreness is normal when starting on a new program.

By *amsevenMan 23 weeks ago

cork

My tip, warm up and make sure your form is correct. Ask for advice if you're not sure you are doing whatever exercise properly

By *r_Insatiable666Man 23 weeks ago

Cork

1. Steps are king, you do 10k steps a day and you'll see results even if you change nothing else.

2. Diet matters quite a lot and if you could afford it, hire a PT to help with this. Hiring a PT can also help if you're like me and would refuse to spend that much money without getting the most out of it.

3. I've been to a good few gyms and I'm not the fittest, nobody is there to gawk or make fun of you.

4. Put weights back, and bring a bottle with you everytime. It's great for staying hydrated but it's also good to leave your bottle next to equipment to say it's being used.

5. This is probably the biggest myth. The exercise are mostly about their form, not the weight. Don't pick up a 40kg dumbbell because your mate can and do the worst chest press. It's so much better to do 10kg at a slow and controlled pace.

Midlands

Wear comfortable loose or stretchy clothes. You see some ladies in heavy makeup. No one looks good sweating n panting only while fking lol.

A note on runners:

Don’t skimp on good footwear. Buy a quality brand. Something that doesn’t squeeze your toes together (the big toe activates the arch in foot).

Never have loose laces- unless you want to get caught in the treadmill.

Custom orthotics are insoles with arch support if you have pains in knees in future it’s likely your flat footed and need support.

Put yourself in the zone to workout - your playlist of high energy stuff works wonders. Use preworkouts sparingly only when needed or they burn you out and make you fatigued as they stress the adrenal gland on kidney.

Above everything - have fun! Look forward to small subtle changes in your mirror and the chlothes you wear. Keep progressing and pushing exploring experimenting and chat to others in gym. Seek out those who are better than you and you’ll find they’ll be helpful in your quest.

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man 23 weeks ago

City Centre, Dublin, Belfast

My advice for what it’s worth:

Go

Go regularly

Go at your own pace, it’s not a competition

Get a personal trainer to show ye the ropes if you’re complete new to it

Find the thing you like and make a habit of it

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man 23 weeks ago

Tip Hackballscross..Monaghan..

"So two months ago I joined my gym. The anxiety levels through the roof gymtimidation is a real thing! I conquered my fear and now I absolutely love going. So I'm sure there's lot's of Fabbers here considering fitness as a New years resolutions. So I thought I'd start a positive thread to encourage other's who might be starting a fitness journey or even considering it. My biggest tips would be start now even if it's some gentle exercises at home or walking. A killer set list or a great podcast motivates me so much to go. I'm totally having a bop in the gym between sets to 90s classics! So I'd love to hear other people's advice and tips "

I'm with you all the way on tis one Rosy, need to tone up a little get outa this Rut,less work n more me time.

New year new me.

By *ogday2181Man 23 weeks ago

Dublin

"So two months ago I joined my gym. The anxiety levels through the roof gymtimidation is a real thing! I conquered my fear and now I absolutely love going. So I'm sure there's lot's of Fabbers here considering fitness as a New years resolutions. So I thought I'd start a positive thread to encourage other's who might be starting a fitness journey or even considering it. My biggest tips would be start now even if it's some gentle exercises at home or walking. A killer set list or a great podcast motivates me so much to go. I'm totally having a bop in the gym between sets to 90s classics! So I'd love to hear other people's advice and tips "

Still going through my journey!! 3 years and 6 stone down!!

My advice is start small and keep it consistent.

Build habits and don't be so down on yourself if you slip. Get back on it.

By (user no longer on site) 23 weeks ago

Rosy you don't need no gym you've a gorgeous body embrace our curves, I got a mesg yest asking was I pregnant my boobs looked full of milk, I showed fab friends his mesg .. pregnant at my age .. and not riding . It would be a miracle lol

I find it quite funny watching all the posing being done by some.

And quite often in the changing rooms, blokes are too busy looking at themselves and taking pics. When they look more closely at their photographs, they will see my big, white arse bent over lol

Photoshopping will be required

Cork

"Rosy you don't need no gym you've a gorgeous body embrace our curves, I got a mesg yest asking was I pregnant my boobs looked full of milk, I showed fab friends his mesg .. pregnant at my age .. and not riding . It would be a miracle lol "

You sure get some lovely suitors and you're right, if I could Rosys newest photo 30 times, I would

By *ofusplusCouple 23 weeks ago

Limerick

Good on you Rosy

I agree, start now, don't wait until January. Get comfortable with the gym or with classes now so you can hit the ground running in January.

Also, join a class, it's much more fun than the gym and you can be accountable to each other.

Watch the food also. You can't out-train a poor diet, fact

By *ormalfornorfolkMan 23 weeks ago

Norwich

Train for shape and size will follow.

By *ormalfornorfolkMan 23 weeks ago

Norwich

And check out Magnus Midtbo on YouTube.

By *adger BrocMan 23 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Down 18lbs in 2 years.

Gym, swim, (2-3 x 2 hour sessions per week).

Hillwalking (1 x 3-5 hour moderate walks per week).

No junk food.

A little horizontal jogging whenever the opportunity arises also helps.

Kildare

"Rosy you don't need no gym you've a gorgeous body embrace our curves, I got a mesg yest asking was I pregnant my boobs looked full of milk, I showed fab friends his mesg .. pregnant at my age .. and not riding . It would be a miracle lol "

Ah thanks lovely lady I absolutely love having curves and a fat arse. But I joined gym not for weight loss but to improve strength and feeling great because I can lift heavier every as weeks progress

"Rosy you don't need no gym you've a gorgeous body embrace our curves, I got a mesg yest asking was I pregnant my boobs looked full of milk, I showed fab friends his mesg .. pregnant at my age .. and not riding . It would be a miracle lol

Ah thanks lovely lady I absolutely love having curves and a fat arse. But I joined gym not for weight loss but to improve strength and feeling great because I can lift heavier every as weeks progress "

If your ever in portlaoise give us a shout love a chat tea n choc hob knobs

By *rish_GuyMan 23 weeks ago

Foxford

Good for you Rosy.

Most try to get back into gym again meself. Highly unlikely to be before the New Year, sadly. Need to do it, to keep the weight off, going forward. Aswell as preventing a knee replacement happening sooner, than I want it too.

Beside's the Ladies always like a guy that's fit & ripped.

Midlands

"Rosy you don't need no gym you've a gorgeous body embrace our curves, I got a mesg yest asking was I pregnant my boobs looked full of milk, I showed fab friends his mesg .. pregnant at my age .. and not riding . It would be a miracle lol

Ah thanks lovely lady I absolutely love having curves and a fat arse. But I joined gym not for weight loss but to improve strength and feeling great because I can lift heavier every as weeks progress "

It’s a powerlifting training cycle you will require. You’ll plateau about 1 year in.

Enjoy the journey till then and revert back if you need some assistance.

Kildare

"So two months ago I joined my gym. The anxiety levels through the roof gymtimidation is a real thing! I conquered my fear and now I absolutely love going. So I'm sure there's lot's of Fabbers here considering fitness as a New years resolutions. So I thought I'd start a positive thread to encourage other's who might be starting a fitness journey or even considering it. My biggest tips would be start now even if it's some gentle exercises at home or walking. A killer set list or a great podcast motivates me so much to go. I'm totally having a bop in the gym between sets to 90s classics! So I'd love to hear other people's advice and tips

Good for you Rosy.

Most try to get back into gym again meself. Highly unlikely to be before the New Year, sadly. Need to do it, to keep the weight off, going forward. Aswell as preventing a knee replacement happening sooner, than I want it too.

Beside's the Ladies always like a guy that's fit & ripped. "

Good luck you totally got this

Everyday is good day to going back to gym although during this festive season there is a lot of seasonal gym members who comes just for month or so. I am saying that always at this time there is a lot not even say to many people fighting over equipment and space and for some of yours that can he frustrating and gives some reason to leave the gym. It is not advice but just sharing thoughts of what you could expect at this time

By *ogday2181Man 23 weeks ago

Dublin

You never regret a workout.

I've often felt like shit for not going but never for going.

By *rish In DubaiMan 23 weeks ago

Carlow

Go consistently.

Set a target.

Don't give up the foods you love.

Enjoy the process.

By *rish_GuyMan 23 weeks ago

Foxford

"So two months ago I joined my gym. The anxiety levels through the roof gymtimidation is a real thing! I conquered my fear and now I absolutely love going. So I'm sure there's lot's of Fabbers here considering fitness as a New years resolutions. So I thought I'd start a positive thread to encourage other's who might be starting a fitness journey or even considering it. My biggest tips would be start now even if it's some gentle exercises at home or walking. A killer set list or a great podcast motivates me so much to go. I'm totally having a bop in the gym between sets to 90s classics! So I'd love to hear other people's advice and tips

Good for you Rosy.

Beside's the Ladies always like a guy that's fit & ripped.

Good luck you totally got this"

Thanks Rosy.

I don't know about that, , time will tell in the end.

You got it aswell & better than me.

(For anybody else, that's thinking of improving themselves. On the healthy front, side of thing's. Take a few pictures of yourself at the beginning of your journey, during it & at the end(if there's an end, for you). For yourself to see, how far you've come in your journey. YOU'VE GOT THIS.

By *annyZ100Man 23 weeks ago

Limerick

Do what you're comfortable with. Any exercise is good. I tip away most evenings for 45 mins to an hour. I don't care about looking buff, just doing it for my health.

It's the skinny guys I find hilarious. They're working out for a week and strutting around like they're Schwarzenegger with their little weightlifting gloves

By *reyingbeardMan 23 weeks ago

city

What an ignorant pr&$k whoever it was that sent that, also you should definitely be riding more

Anybody who’s thinking of joining a gym do it you’re gonna be nervous that’s natural. Concentrate on yourself don’t be minding people around you . Put the headphones on music up & enjoy .. Top tip to anyone avoid personal trainers they’re only interested in making money & normally set you up to fail by having you doing exercises that are not going to benefit you at all example crunches if you’re a bit overweight in the belly area this is one exercise that’s of no benefit at all … good luck

By * la carteCouple 23 weeks ago

Dublin

"Anybody who’s thinking of joining a gym do it you’re gonna be nervous that’s natural. Concentrate on yourself don’t be minding people around you . Put the headphones on music up & enjoy .. Top tip to anyone avoid personal trainers they’re only interested in making money & normally set you up to fail by having you doing exercises that are not going to benefit you at all example crunches if you’re a bit overweight in the belly area this is one exercise that’s of no benefit at all … good luck "

Abdominal exercises help to tone and strengthen the core, regardless of the weight carried around the belly area . Crunches in themselves won't make belly fat disappear miraculously. Any personal trainer will be able to tell you that and how to best incorporate crunches or other abdominal exercises into a workout.

Why paint an entire profession with one brush? Most people have to work to earn a living. It doesn't mean they don't have their clients best interest at heart!

I had a couple of gems of personal trainers - without them I wouldn't have reached many a goal I had set for myself!

By *ub23Man 23 weeks ago

wandering

My one is get a programme don't just start the gym and do different exercises each session,get a plan and trust the science!

By *ind PaddyMan 23 weeks ago

South County Dublin

Fair play to you. I've had a bacterial infection in my lungs which only recently cleared up. I had signed up for a circuit exercise classes but missed most of them. I was at the last 2 classes which I found very helpful. There is only 12 in the class and the instructor goes around the class making sure you are doing the exercises correctly. I hope to get back doing the 5k parkruns. There is a tailwalker at each parkrun who finishes last, so no problem walking the 5k. They are also free.

"Anybody who’s thinking of joining a gym do it you’re gonna be nervous that’s natural. Concentrate on yourself don’t be minding people around you . Put the headphones on music up & enjoy .. Top tip to anyone avoid personal trainers they’re only interested in making money & normally set you up to fail by having you doing exercises that are not going to benefit you at all example crunches if you’re a bit overweight in the belly area this is one exercise that’s of no benefit at all … good luck "

I would have to disagree with you re PT’s, they are 100% not all the same. You’re paying for their knowledge & experience, they don’t set you up to fail, they push you to progress and therein lies the difference. They encourage you to get those last few rep in and keep you motivated. The results speak for themselves.

Cork

Finding a terrible is harder than finding a good one. My PT has been nothing but sound. He was honest with me the first time we met and genuinely wants to see me succeed. If you're honest with yourself, finding a PT is easy because they do so much better when you succeed. I found my guy through a friend who recommended him.

By *easingTimMan 23 weeks ago

Loughlinstown

Exercise and the gym is medicine for feeling better over the Christmas holidays. So go spin, salsa or hit a punch bag!

"Anybody who’s thinking of joining a gym do it you’re gonna be nervous that’s natural. Concentrate on yourself don’t be minding people around you . Put the headphones on music up & enjoy .. Top tip to anyone avoid personal trainers they’re only interested in making money & normally set you up to fail by having you doing exercises that are not going to benefit you at all example crunches if you’re a bit overweight in the belly area this is one exercise that’s of no benefit at all … good luck

Abdominal exercises help to tone and strengthen the core, regardless of the weight carried around the belly area . Crunches in themselves won't make belly fat disappear miraculously. Any personal trainer will be able to tell you that and how to best incorporate crunches or other abdominal exercises into a workout.

Why paint an entire profession with one brush? Most people have to work to earn a living. It doesn't mean they don't have their clients best interest at heart!

I had a couple of gems of personal trainers - without them I wouldn't have reached many a goal I had set for myself!"

Congratulations on reaching your goals you’re dead right I shouldn’t paint an entire profession with one brush my apologies. I’m going by my experiences and what I’ve seen . I’ve never been in a position to need a PT but I have come across a lot in my times in Gyms so that’s where my experience comes from. I’m delighted you found a descent PT & it all went well for you .. have a good night

"Anybody who’s thinking of joining a gym do it you’re gonna be nervous that’s natural. Concentrate on yourself don’t be minding people around you . Put the headphones on music up & enjoy .. Top tip to anyone avoid personal trainers they’re only interested in making money & normally set you up to fail by having you doing exercises that are not going to benefit you at all example crunches if you’re a bit overweight in the belly area this is one exercise that’s of no benefit at all … good luck

I would have to disagree with you re PT’s, they are 100% not all the same. You’re paying for their knowledge & experience, they don’t set you up to fail, they push you to progress and therein lies the difference. They encourage you to get those last few rep in and keep you motivated. The results speak for themselves. "

I stand corrected.. you look fantastic.. I generalised from what I’ve seen ..my apologies

Finding a terrible is harder than finding a good one. My PT has been nothing but sound. He was honest with me the first time we met and genuinely wants to see me succeed. If you're honest with yourself, finding a PT is easy because they do so much better when you succeed. I found my guy through a friend who recommended him."

By *arpenter.Man 23 weeks ago

Dublin

Insomnia up full.....

By *rish In DubaiMan 23 weeks ago

Carlow

I would have to disagree with you re PT’s, they are 100% not all the same. You’re paying for their knowledge & experience, they don’t set you up to fail, they push you to progress and therein lies the difference. They encourage you to get those last few rep in and keep you motivated. The results speak for themselves. "

100% this. I've never been to a PT but I know plenty who have and the accountable they get from having a PT is the difference between achieving their goals or failing.

By *axlecool03Man 23 weeks ago

Dublin

… very good thought …. My 2 cents … just start enjoying the process and dont look in the mirror too often for those small changes they may come with time … but searching for them too often will de motivate you … so just start loving the process and thats it …

By *dlucyTV/TS 22 weeks ago

cork

Went to the gym recently for the first time in years and it was absolutely amazing to walk straight back out the door again Lol ??

By *axlecool03Man 22 weeks ago

Dublin

"Went to the gym recently for the first time in years and it was absolutely amazing to walk straight back out the door again Lol ??"
… go again

By (user no longer on site) 22 weeks ago

PT is best to help pick the work out and the machines that best for you to achieve your goals. Free weights are best. The Gym in newbridge and Monasterevin have a fantastic group of PTs

By *urfdudeMan 22 weeks ago

WEXFORD

Get a programme from a personal trainer and try to stick to it, have a personal target and try to reach it, just keep at it

By *oingMan 22 weeks ago

co. antrim

A couple of pt sessions to show you the machines, exercises and form will help. If not, ask someone if you’re not sure, most people are quite helpful, even me with a face like thunder and music blaring.

By *rish In DubaiMan 22 weeks ago

Carlow

"PT is best to help pick the work out and the machines that best for you to achieve your goals. Free weights are best. The Gym in newbridge and Monasterevin have a fantastic group of PTs"

Why are free weights the best?

Machines are great at the start to help with form and obviously less chance of injury.

Free weight’s definitely work more muscles which leads to a better work out. Helps with balance too

By *onderingpurposeMan 22 weeks ago

Belfast

I have not set foot in a gym in years but since giving up team sports running has been my saviour. A pair of good shoes, great tunes and headphones is all you need. Turn off the phone notifications and so my problems are sorted and solutions found after a lung busting session.

By *rystalsswingCouple 22 weeks ago

Galway

My tip would be, just go! Even when you feel like not going. Consistency is key, motivation will come and go.

Do it for yourself, put the time away early in the week and stick to it. I find it's great for the head

By *oghunter33Woman 22 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

My tip is find the sport you like/love to do, that feels right for you and not torture. It doesn't have to be the gym (although it's a good winter option) there's so many possibilities out there to keep you active, just do it.

Carlow

"Machines are great at the start to help with form and obviously less chance of injury.

Free weight’s definitely work more muscles which leads to a better work out. Helps with balance too "

Well this is not true. All research shows machines are just as good if not better.

Working more muscles what does that even mean. Could you give me some examples please

By *ealcoupleCouple 22 weeks ago

Omg you've actually given it a name and its spot on. I really really want to join but the anxiety at the thoughts puts me off every time. Maybe 2024 could be my year, but I'm saying that since 2021.

Claire xo

By *r_Insatiable666Man 22 weeks ago

Cork

"Omg you've actually given it a name and its spot on. I really really want to join but the anxiety at the thoughts puts me off every time. Maybe 2024 could be my year, but I'm saying that since 2021.

Claire xo"

First time I went, I was a few months into it before COVID came along, I made every excuse to stop going when we could again. It's small steps. I'm totally not saying this in the hope to see you in some gym gear

By *osyRedLips OP   Woman 22 weeks ago

Kildare

"Omg you've actually given it a name and its spot on. I really really want to join but the anxiety at the thoughts puts me off every time. Maybe 2024 could be my year, but I'm saying that since 2021.

Claire xo"

Gymtimidation is very much real so many people get it me included. I was so put off joining but honestly it's one of the best things I've done for myself. Feel so much better physically and mentally. I went from having anxiety about going to now looking forward to it. You could try a class there's so many different ones in most gyms. My own gym they ask what your goals are and give you plan to follow and show you how to use machines. Most people have anxiety about people watching and judging you but honestly everyone is only focused on themselves. Feel free to dm me to talk about how I got over it x

Claire xo

Gymtimidation is very much real so many people get it me included. I was so put off joining but honestly it's one of the best things I've done for myself. Feel so much better physically and mentally. I went from having anxiety about going to now looking forward to it. You could try a class there's so many different ones in most gyms. My own gym they ask what your goals are and give you plan to follow and show you how to use machines. Most people have anxiety about people watching and judging you but honestly everyone is only focused on themselves. Feel free to dm me to talk about how I got over it x "

Thank you so much, I know it's all in my head and once i take the 1st step I'll be ok. I should actually ask santa for a 3 month membership as i wont want waste either but I know Jan will be so busy there too.

By *ub_TMan 22 weeks ago

Dublin city

" Ah thanks lovely lady I absolutely love having curves and a fat arse. But I joined gym not for weight loss but to improve strength and feeling great because I can lift heavier every as weeks progress "

Well done Rosy , sounds incredible!

Misses here as mister just goes in and give zero fucks about ppl around him in the gym

What helped me go and actually stay in the gym and now have anxiety if I don't go is...

Colourful and marching gym sets. Having a clear plan for each exercise. Start slow and work my way up. Good headset and great music and also himself setting up a great plan for when I first started back.

Got to the point that if someone looks at me now I just ignore it and focus on what I do

Claire xo

First time I went, I was a few months into it before COVID came along, I made every excuse to stop going when we could again. It's small steps. I'm totally not saying this in the hope to see you in some gym gear "

Yes i will get there one day hopefully soon, any limerick PTs wanna help me out feel free to message lol

By * la carteCouple 22 weeks ago

Dublin

"Machines are great at the start to help with form and obviously less chance of injury.

Free weight’s definitely work more muscles which leads to a better work out. Helps with balance too

Well this is not true. All research shows machines are just as good if not better.

Working more muscles what does that even mean. Could you give me some examples please "

Both free weights and machines have their pros and cons.

Machines will help with form, particularly if you're a newbie or have an injury. They guide your movements and provide stability unlike free weights.

They can be used to train individual muscle groups but they won't generally activate stabiliser muscles as much which help with balance and support functional movement, everyday movement. So yes, more muscles are worked in general when using free weights as opposed to doing the same movement with a machine that helps balance and stabilise you.

That doesn't mean that machines are any less valuable than free weights - as long as you are using each to complement the other in a manner that will give you the best results for what your goals are.

By *r_Insatiable666Man 22 weeks ago

Cork

Working more muscles what does that even mean. Could you give me some examples please

Machines will help with form, particularly if you're a newbie or have an injury. They guide your movements and provide stability unlike free weights.

They can be used to train individual muscle groups but they won't generally activate stabiliser muscles as much which help with balance and support functional movement, everyday movement. So yes, more muscles are worked in general when using free weights as opposed to doing the same movement with a machine that helps balance and stabilise you.

That doesn't mean that machines are any less valuable than free weights - as long as you are using each to complement the other in a manner that will give you the best results for what your goals are.

"

^^ what she said

Starting in gym for first time tomorrow, injured calf running so gym is all i can do. The fear is real but all this advice is really appreciated. Thanks op for starting

Carlow

^^ what she said"

I'm just confused. I'f I'm working a muscle I just want to concentrate on that muscle and not work other muscles.

Don’t be a twat. The girl asked for advice and tips which means people’s opinions and that’s what everyone on this thread has done bare yourself you persists on picking at people opinions. Not once have you gave your own. Give your own opinion and let the lady use whatever advice that’s suits herself.

This thread has inspired me to get my fitness & flexibility levels back....

"Start now, even if it's just some gentle exercises at home or just walking"....

^^^^^^^

Inspiration Right There

Kildare

"This thread has inspired me to get my fitness & flexibility levels back....

"Start now, even if it's just some gentle exercises at home or just walking"....

^^^^^^^

Inspiration Right There

"

Good for you best of luck with it!

By *onestly genuineMan 22 weeks ago

liverpool

I've been going to gym nearly every day of my life.

If someone overweight or shy looking comes onto gym....I gave so much respect for them....and also would try to strike up a small conversation.....if I thought they needed it.

Dublin

^^ what she said

I'm just confused. I'f I'm working a muscle I just want to concentrate on that muscle and not work other muscles. "

Judging by your photos, your comment makes sense - you're approaching your workout from a bodybuilding point of view. You want to isolate the muscles you're trying to build up so you use a machine.

Someone who's starting off may also want to use the machines because they help getting the form right in order to avoid injury before they've even started. But the next person who's happy that their form is right, will want to incorporate free weights in order to use the muscles that are then activated to stabilise and balance the body which is something that the machine would have helped with otherwise.

Example: Dumbbell shoulder press - not only are your shoulders engaged, but so are your core, traps, and triceps, as your whole upper body works to stabilize you.

With a shoulder press machine, a fixed range of motion guides the weight up and down, meaning you don't "need" to stabilise yourself so the majority of the work falls to your shoulders.

By *axlecool03Man 22 weeks ago

Dublin

^^ what she said

I'm just confused. I'f I'm working a muscle I just want to concentrate on that muscle and not work other muscles.

Judging by your photos, your comment makes sense - you're approaching your workout from a bodybuilding point of view. You want to isolate the muscles you're trying to build up so you use a machine.

Someone who's starting off may also want to use the machines because they help getting the form right in order to avoid injury before they've even started. But the next person who's happy that their form is right, will want to incorporate free weights in order to use the muscles that are then activated to stabilise and balance the body which is something that the machine would have helped with otherwise.

Example: Dumbbell shoulder press - not only are your shoulders engaged, but so are your core, traps, and triceps, as your whole upper body works to stabilize you.

With a shoulder press machine, a fixed range of motion guides the weight up and down, meaning you don't "need" to stabilise yourself so the majority of the work falls to your shoulders."

You are right for someone who is starting new machines are best because he atleast does not has to ficus on the form and fixed range of motion works best without injury… i have seen newbies doing free weight in real bad form and then get injured… its a slow process

Carlow

^^ what she said

With a shoulder press machine, a fixed range of motion guides the weight up and down, meaning you don't "need" to stabilise yourself so the majority of the work falls to your shoulders."

"but so are your core, traps, and triceps, as your whole upper body works to stabilize you" this is the same for a shoulder press machine tho. Unless that is your standing doing dumbell presses which is a sure way to damage shoulders or worse rotater cuff.

Dublin

^^ what she said

With a shoulder press machine, a fixed range of motion guides the weight up and down, meaning you don't "need" to stabilise yourself so the majority of the work falls to your shoulders.

"but so are your core, traps, and triceps, as your whole upper body works to stabilize you" this is the same for a shoulder press machine tho. Unless that is your standing doing dumbell presses which is a sure way to damage shoulders or worse rotater cuff. "

There's plenty of information online on the differences between using the weights machines as opposed to free weights.

If you can't see or understand how a machine supports and guides a movement, thereby lessening the impact on other muscles that would be used doing the same exercise with dumbbells, then I am at a loss how to explain it otherwise.

Carlow

^^ what she said

"but so are your core, traps, and triceps, as your whole upper body works to stabilize you" this is the same for a shoulder press machine tho. Unless that is your standing doing dumbell presses which is a sure way to damage shoulders or worse rotater cuff.

There's plenty of information online on the differences between using the weights machines as opposed to free weights.

If you can't see or understand how a machine supports and guides a movement, thereby lessening the impact on other muscles that would be used doing the same exercise with dumbbells, then I am at a loss how to explain it otherwise.

"

Just explain it with some examples.

By *3nsesMan 22 weeks ago

Dublin

The only advice Id give is to encourage anyone new starting out to work towards using a barbell as quickly and focus on mastering squats, deadlifts, rows, military press and bench.

Dublin

^^ what she said

Just explain it with some examples. "

Leg press vs squat: sitting into the machine you're working quads, glutes and hamstring.

When you squat, you have to balance yourself thereby engaging your back and core so you're working more muscles.

Chest press machine vs Bench press:

Both target pecs and triceps. Bench press will also activate stabilising muscles like deltoids, lats, biceps and abdominal muscles.

By *alway19Man 22 weeks ago

galway/ Westmeath

One thing to remember for people that are starting off is that no one is there to look at you. They are all there to work on themselves.

Also if you are unsure of something do not hesitate to ask the big buff gym guy. I guarantee he like most people will be happy to help.

Kildare

"One thing to remember for people that are starting off is that no one is there to look at you. They are all there to work on themselves.

Also if you are unsure of something do not hesitate to ask the big buff gym guy. I guarantee he like most people will be happy to help. "

This is so true people are only aware of themselves. I was recently in the gym on the cable row machine. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a hottie beside me totally oblivious to me. When I looked again wasn't it someone I knew from Fab very well. We were so engrossed in our workouts we weren't aware of the other person literally a foot away.

I enjoy the fact that you feel less tired after you go and happy.

It really should be marketed as a potential treatment for depression and obesity. In some countries you get a rebate akin to the "bike to work scheme" for joining gyms.

By *alway19Man 22 weeks ago

galway/ Westmeath

"One thing to remember for people that are starting off is that no one is there to look at you. They are all there to work on themselves.

Also if you are unsure of something do not hesitate to ask the big buff gym guy. I guarantee he like most people will be happy to help.

This is so true people are only aware of themselves. I was recently in the gym on the cable row machine. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a hottie beside me totally oblivious to me. When I looked again wasn't it someone I knew from Fab very well. We were so engrossed in our workouts we weren't aware of the other person literally a foot away. "

Raging I didn’t recognise you

By *hy24Man 22 weeks ago

countryside

Hi, Mr insatiable is giving the best advice for you. Find a good trainer or go to a group class, where the instructor will assist in motivating you if, he's worth his weight in gold.

By *osyRedLips OP   Woman 21 weeks ago

Kildare

In the gym bright and early this morning burning off the Christmas Dinner! The arse ripped out of my leggings squatting quite the sight!

By *rish_GuyMan 21 weeks ago

Foxford

"In the gym bright and early this morning burning off the Christmas Dinner! The arse ripped out of my leggings squatting quite the sight! "

Good for you.

I'm sure that made someone's day, seeming you squatting. Arse ripped out of your leggings or not.

By *argus12Man 21 weeks ago

meath dublin / london

Being a Personal Trainer I’d be happy to give any pointers

By *ub23Man 21 weeks ago

wandering

"In the gym bright and early this morning burning off the Christmas Dinner! The arse ripped out of my leggings squatting quite the sight! "

Plenty of young lads drooling I bet

By *rish_GuyMan 21 weeks ago

Foxford

"In the gym bright and early this morning burning off the Christmas Dinner! The arse ripped out of my leggings squatting quite the sight!

Plenty of young lads drooling I bet "

Ya,I say there was & is alright.

Kildare

"In the gym bright and early this morning burning off the Christmas Dinner! The arse ripped out of my leggings squatting quite the sight!

Plenty of young lads drooling I bet

Ya,I say there was & is alright. "

Hate to burst your bubble but the only person drooling is me after the leg press. I'm not a pretty gym girl!

By *ub23Man 21 weeks ago

wandering

I'm usually thirsty after the leg press

By *easingTimMan 21 weeks ago

Loughlinstown

Just been to the gym. Spin class and boxing. Best way to shake off the cobwebs and meet nice people too!!

Kildare

"

Just been to the gym. Spin class and boxing. Best way to shake off the cobwebs and meet nice people too!! "

Good for you spin class is on my list of classes to try out in 2024!

By *easingTimMan 21 weeks ago

Loughlinstown

"

Just been to the gym. Spin class and boxing. Best way to shake off the cobwebs and meet nice people too!!

Good for you spin class is on my list of classes to try out in 2024!"

------

Good idea but I reckon that you'd have a venomous right cross in boxing!

By *oudicaWoman 21 weeks ago

Kilkenny

" Good for you spin class is on my list of classes to try out in 2024!"

Rosy I have a gym standard spin bike at home, call down to me for a ride and a rub down afterwards

Kildare

" Good for you spin class is on my list of classes to try out in 2024!

Rosy I have a gym standard spin bike at home, call down to me for a ride and a rub down afterwards "

God I'll be straight over that's the best offer I've had all year

By *aid backMan 21 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

Rosie

I manage a football team, I'll bring you to the park in the rain and shout obscenities at you for 90 mins

By *hopkins6Man 21 weeks ago

Dundalk

Just saying I am a qualified PT so looking for 10 more clients in 2024

» Add a new message to this topic